• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

Same, but I guess that like many adv out of there it will only actually adventure off-road in the fantasies of the rider :p

Given the number of 16 year olds I see on scooters cutting through the local park, I reckon it'll see more mud than the average GS :)

That is very true... but then if it can handle a bit of gravel so you can explore a few green lanes and you are able to cruise on the motorway it would be a great utility bike. Like Dougald said most high end Adv bikes never see the gravel as dropping it or trying to tame it on a muddy green lane is not for everyone. Much easier to drop a cheaper bike than a £13000 machine that is heavy as hell to pick up.

Dougald

Frankly, I would be a lot more confident off-road on a GS though. I'd like to see some actual videos of this scoot being put through its paces before I stop writing it off as a two-wheeled chelsea tractor. It does looks bloody cool

New tyres on the R1150 today. Battlax 23s again, great tyres in all weather. Nearly went for the same Pilot Road 4s I have on the Ducati but theyre slightly more expensive.

Dougald

So Mrs Dougald was very nearly knocked off last night by some driver not looking properly. I guess that means she's one of us now!

How you can miss that giant R1150R coming towards you I don't know, but hey

So Mrs Dougald was very nearly knocked off last night by some driver not looking properly. I guess that means she's one of us now!

How you can miss that giant R1150R coming towards you I don't know, but hey

He must have been tindering or pokemon playing.. its really a joke what the people get up to

Maedre

Banned
Nice looking R nine T

ZrELR2b.jpg

Its the only "newer" BMW i like.

Stevey

oh man that is a clean and good looking machine. What about a small sound clip of it running?
I think that was the last time it will be out this year, maybe next year
Beautiful, although I'm in pain imagining my 1.85m frame fitting on it.
He's 6 foot and 16 stone, never says it's uncomfortable.

Got a lot of history, it was his and my uncles in the 60s, my uncle had a bad crash and was paralysed so they sold it.
It's been around where I live all this time, he somehow tracked it down a few years ago, bought it, restored it and uses it pretty regularly.
It's had a feature in Classic Bike magazine.

Watevaman

Had a good weekend ride. Unfortunately one of the newbies I was leading took a turn too hot and ended up on the guardrail. He's fine but his new, shiny cruiser had some nice dings. This is why we tell everyone to ride their own ride when we are in a group. Trying to keep up can get you in trouble.

I think this is as close as I'll get to the edge of this tire without hitting the track:

Had a good weekend ride. Unfortunately one of the newbies I was leading took a turn too hot and ended up on the guardrail. He's fine but his new, shiny cruiser had some nice dings. This is why we tell everyone to ride their own ride when we are in a group. Trying to keep up can get you in trouble.

I think this is as close as I'll get to the edge of this tire without hitting the track:

nice one...

Went for a nice ride to Bahnstormer Alton on Saturday and got the opportunity to take out a Rnine T for an hour and a half. I grabbed a nice coffee and jumped on the bike and man what a nice bike to ride. It feel old school, still pulls to the one side and sounds great with the standard pipe.

Here are some photos

nuRPFw2.jpg

8id0DKo.jpg

L0FkSXi.jpg

Also a short vid for the sound..

https://youtu.be/Ll7P9WbKpxk

Also the new scrambler is going to be ready to test ride on the 1 Oct. They are doing the Octoberfest too. I might pop in to check the new bikes out

That's a beautiful bike. If I didn't already have the R1200RS I probably would've picked that up instead of the Thruxton. Saw one on the way to work today. Lovely.

I added the wife onto my Harley insurance so we took that and the Thruxton up to Bike Shed in London for "coffee" and bought a bloody expensive Roland Sands leather jacket. Still matches the bike nicely.

Wd3ZRbn.jpg

Just got back from a one week trip to the Provence. Went for a cycling event on the Ventoux, but we brought two bikes as well (petrol powered ones :p). It was glorious. The riding was maybe even better than in Corsica, not sure. I'll post some pics later today once I've processed them.

That's a beautiful bike. If I didn't already have the R1200RS I probably would've picked that up instead of the Thruxton. Saw one on the way to work today. Lovely.

I added the wife onto my Harley insurance so we took that and the Thruxton up to Bike Shed in London for "coffee" and bought a bloody expensive Roland Sands leather jacket. Still matches the bike nicely.

Wd3ZRbn.jpg

Hate/love it when that happens :p.

Good looking jacket though!

Dougald

Ah the bike shed, it's on my list to get up there sometime, but I don't feel like my beard is long enough. I don't think it could be any more hipster if it tried.

Looks like an awesome spot to hang out though

Ah the bike shed, it's on my list to get up there sometime, but I don't feel like my beard is long enough. I don't think it could be any more hipster if it tried.

Looks like an awesome spot to hang out though
Ha. I'm definitely no hipster. Aside from the bike maybe. I think that's the image but the reality is different. All sorts in there on sports bikes, cruisers, couple of guys on GSs. Really good staff too. Very helpful hence me deciding to buy my jacket there rather than ordering online.

Wd3ZRbn.jpg

I was also saying to my wife if I do get a rninet the bike gear will have to change. Leather jacket en docmarten boots haha.

That Thruxton is a a great looking bike....

I was also saying to my wife if I do get a rninet the bike gear will have to change. Leather jacket en docmarten boots haha.

That Thruxton is a a great looking bike....
That's the advantage of my wife also riding. She's normally the first one to get new kit and I just follow. Of course her new (second hand) jacket was about 1/10th the price.

Dougald

Ha. I'm definitely no hipster. Aside from the bike maybe. I think that's the image but the reality is different. All sorts in there on sports bikes, cruisers, couple of guys on GSs. Really good staff too. Very helpful hence me deciding to buy my jacket there rather than ordering online.

Not a hipster? You just bought a cafe racer, I'm surprised that the beard hasn't appeared yet ;-)

Though, I guess bobbers are probably the new hipster bike these days.

My walking boots fell apart last week so I used that as a very slim justification to order these babies. Unfortunately due to my oddly sized feet they have to be made special so it'll take 5-6 weeks

Stevey

Went to Silverstone yesterday to watch the MotGP, fantastic race, but chaos getting out the field that was a car park.
Took 3 and a half hours to get out the field, marshalls were a joke. Never going in the car again.

Went to Silverstone yesterday to watch the MotGP, fantastic race, but chaos getting out the field that was a car park.
Took 3 and a half hours to get out the field, marshalls were a joke. Never going in the car again.

Yeah, it's the same shit here in the Netherlands with the TT of Assen. Going by car is a terrible idea.

My walking boots fell apart last week so I used that as a very slim justification to order these babies. Unfortunately due to my oddly sized feet they have to be made special so it'll take 5-6 weeks

How is shifting in those? I've got some of those bigger dual sport type boots last year and shifting on anything other than my Uly is kind of a pain.

WELL IT'S THAT TIME OF THE YEAR AGAIN

retired the t-bird. great bike, but cruisers just ain't my thang -- i'd wind up taking the tiger every time i planned to ride it because WOOO no scraping hard parts in even moderate curves.

soooo...
pIga1RF.jpg

WELL IT'S THAT TIME OF THE YEAR AGAIN

retired the t-bird. great bike, but cruisers just ain't my thang -- i'd wind up taking the tiger every time i planned to ride it because WOOO no scraping hard parts in even moderate curves.

soooo...
pIga1RF.jpg

very nice looking machine. It looks like the bikes are selling well as they have the styling spot on

Dougald

Damn, 2 wheel GAF 2016: everyone bought a Thruxton

I'm jealous now, looks so great. I really need to ride one to see if the performance is as improved as Triumph claim

How is shifting in those? I've got some of those bigger dual sport type boots last year and shifting on anything other than my Uly is kind of a pain.

I'll let you know when they've made them! Currently estimating 14th of October - everything is hand-made in Yorkshire so if you want an unusual size you'd better be prepared to wait for it. My main boots are the (now discontinued) Alt-Berg clubman classics that look something like this. Easily the most comfortable footwear I've ever worn on or off bike, and shifting is a breeze.

Good move, Drinky. Keeping up that bike rotation.

I'll let you know when they've made them! Currently estimating 14th of October - everything is hand-made in Yorkshire so if you want an unusual size you'd better be prepared to wait for it. My main boots are the (now discontinued) Alt-Berg clubman classics that look something like this. Easily the most comfortable footwear I've ever worn on or off bike, and shifting is a breeze.

But are you getting another pair of those? Or the ones you posted earlier? http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/hogg-all-weather-microlite/

Dougald

But are you getting another pair of those? Or the ones you posted earlier? http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/hogg-all-weather-microlite/

I'm getting the Hoggs, as I need a new pair of walking shoes. The fact that I can use them as bike boots as well is just the silver lining!

I'll let you know how they are for riding in once they turn up. I imagine the fit will be exactly the same, but as they are dual-use they might not be quite as good for riding in as their motorcycle-only boots are.

I'm getting the Hoggs, as I need a new pair of walking shoes. The fact that I can use them as bike boots as well is just the silver lining!

I'll let you know how they are for riding in once they turn up. I imagine the fit will be exactly the same, but as they are dual-use they might not be quite as good for riding in as their motorcycle-only boots are.

that does look like nice boots. I am looking to get myself some of the riding shoes. The stylemartens looks nice for short rides

http://gearpatrol.com/2015/10/12/best-urban-motorcycle-shoes/

Dougald

I recommend TCX if you want something with a casual style, my pair are great.

They'd be terrible for walking the dog in though, hence Alt-Berg.

I recommend TCX if you want something with a casual style, my pair are great.

They'd be terrible for walking the dog in though, hence Alt-Berg.

Just for riding to work on fridays and to have something that can double up as a good looking shoe. Walking around the office with bike boots is a bit much.

Is there a place to go and check out that boots you are buying now... the walking boots?

Dougald

If you want to look at Alt-Berg stuff, their motorcycle boots are all made to order so you have to go up to their Factory in Yorkshire... however, if you do that you can get your feet measured and have a pair made to your exact fit! Bit of a trip from where you live, though.

Their normal walking boots are available in some outdoor shops, IIRC.

Infinity Motorcycles in farnborough have a reasonably good selection of casual-styled boots too. TCX, Alpinestars and Dainese last time I went, IIRC

If you want to look at Alt-Berg stuff, their motorcycle boots are all made to order so you have to go up to their Factory in Yorkshire... however, if you do that you can get your feet measured and have a pair made to your exact fit! Bit of a trip from where you live, though.

Their normal walking boots are available in some outdoor shops, IIRC.

Infinity Motorcycles in farnborough have a reasonably good selection of casual-styled boots too. TCX, Alpinestars and Dainese last time I went, IIRC

Yes not as a motorbike boot but more as a walking boot.

Hey 2 wheel gaf. So I've been wanting to get a motorcycle for a while and I had been looking at maybe a dual sport. Well, one of my friends is moving out of the country for work, leaving today in fact, so I picked up his bike yesterday for almost nothing.

Its a 91 suzuki dr350. It needs a little work, but nothing too complicated. I need to get new tires for it. It came with a rebuilt carb I need to put on. And I might need to get a new battery for it and replace some hoses. Other that that it should be ready to go. Mid October is when the weather starts getting nice again, so I'm hoping to have it all ready by then.

here's a couple pics
DSCN2765.jpg

DSCN2766.jpg

OraleeWey

Hey 2 wheel gaf. So I've been wanting to get a motorcycle for a while and I had been looking at maybe a dual sport. Well, one of my friends is moving out of the country for work, leaving today in fact, so I picked up his bike yesterday for almost nothing.

Its a 91 suzuki dr350. It needs a little work, but nothing too complicated. I need to get new tires for it. It came with a rebuilt carb I need to put on. And I might need to get a new battery for it and replace some hoses. Other that that it should be ready to go. Mid October is when the weather starts getting nice again, so I'm hoping to have it all ready by then.

here's a couple pics
DSCN2765.jpg

DSCN2766.jpg

Nice bike there. You're gonna have loads of fun. Btw, when you click the images it shows your entire photo bucket library, not sure if you're okay with that but just letting you know.

Anyway, 2WheelGaf, question, I need some new brake pads. Is it true that the brake disc doesn't need to be changed? Do they usually last a very long time ?

Dougald

So given as I'm nearly 30, I just sold almost my entire Dreamcast collection (I owned over half the games ever released for the system in the EU). Made a tidy amount, possibly enough to get that R1100GS this winter...

here's a couple pics

Welcome to the club, looks like it'll be a fine ride once you're given it a little love

Anyway, 2WheelGaf, question, I need some new brake pads. Is it true that the brake disc doesn't need to be changed? Do they usually last a very long time ?

They definitely need changing, but it's pretty rare. Generally only if the disc becomes warped, or once it wears down beyond its limit (you'd use a measuring caliper of some sort to check this against the value in your shop manual). I had to change the rear disc on my Bonneville but that's due to the crappy design that causes the pads to drag on the discs and wear them excessively

You'll be changing the pads far, far more often than the discs!

OraleeWey

thanks.

Also, it doesn't do that when I click on them. Strange. Oh well.
Open image in new tab. You'll see.

So given as I'm nearly 30, I just sold almost my entire Dreamcast collection (I owned over half the games ever released for the system in the EU). Made a tidy amount, possibly enough to get that R1100GS this winter...

Welcome to the club, looks like it'll be a fine ride once you're given it a little love

They definitely need changing, but it's pretty rare. Generally only if the disc becomes warped, or once it wears down beyond its limit (you'd use a measuring caliper of some sort to check this against the value in your shop manual). I had to change the rear disc on my Bonneville but that's due to the crappy design that causes the pads to drag on the discs and wear them excessively

You'll be changing the pads far, far more often than the discs!

Ok I see. Interesting. Thanks!

OraleeWey

The other thing to watch out for is any cracks appearing in the disc. That would mean time for replacement.

it just threw me off that they lost a lot longer than cars. Mine are good but I asked the mechanic that I needed new brake pads and discs, he told me I probably don't, long story short. But yeah, they're still good. I ordered some new brakes though.

Dougald

I'm a fan of this model myself (sorry for potato picture)

SLdkIhH.jpg

There are quite a few high mileage (80k+) Yellow 1150s about which I quite like too. Not too worried about miles as that engine is pretty solid, and I want something a bit rough around the edges anyway. My main worry is seat height, but I can always get some lower suspension coils for a few hundred...

I'm a fan of this model myself (sorry for potato picture)

SLdkIhH.jpg

There are quite a few high mileage (80k+) Yellow 1150s about which I quite like too. Not too worried about miles as that engine is pretty solid, and I want something a bit rough around the edges anyway. My main worry is seat height, but I can always get some lower suspension coils for a few hundred...

I did not want to post a yellow one as I did not think allot of people like it. I had a nice yellow one when I arrived here in the UK 2003. Bought it from Park Lane. Loved that bike. Had to pick it up a few times...

Dougald

Well I figure it would match the wife's Yellow R1150R :)

I'm out on that today in fact, didn't want to risk getting the Ducati wet (and there's a whole story with that bike at the moment which I'll tell once it's sorted out too)

Hehe, buy that GS and shortly after realize that you're no longer using your Monster 1200.

Couple quick shots from my vacation last week (shot by one of those guys on the mountain):

untitled275r2e.png

untitledzlpjt.png

I should probably buy one of these.

Dougald

Great shots! Love that Buell

The GS for me would be strictly a runaround bike I think. The Ducati is too nice to take to the London office in the middle of winter (and it'll probably get nicked). My wife and I share a car, so I guess the GS would be my 'car'!

Top Bottom