• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

JayDub said:
I see where it snapped off on the right. Sorry to hear. Ugh, what a waste.

EDIT: How old are you, btw? I always imagined you to be much older.

That was actually the original fairing that was fine except for the fact the bike was knocked over. The spot that broke on the new fairing is the area where the oval cutout is on the right (for the mirror) side. Haven't photographed/taken the new one off the bike now since it snapped like that. Waiting to see what the dealer wants me to do. Someone else on the R1 forum had installed a new OEM upper cowl on their 09, went for a ride...and the wind caused a stress split on it. Really am just wanting a piece that works...

I'm 21 at the moment.

Flo_Evans

ah so good to be back in the woods with my bike! :D

racgo0.jpg

Had a great trip, except for my brother losing his keys at a diner. We had to hotwire it. :lol

a5ib2f.jpg

That's not a trike, its a regular bike with outrigers! :lol WTF. I love the cup holder too.

Flo_Evans

daw840 said:
So, here is a pic of the wife on the new bike.

JensBike.jpg

daw840 said:
Wow, I know I am going to sound like an asshole, but I would never let my wife ride a motorcycle. She can ride on the back of mine, that's fine. After riding with her in the car so many times, she doesn't seem to look at other drivers at all and it scares the shit out of me. I keep trying to tell her that even though you have the right-of-way it does NOT mean that the other idiot drivers are going to stop for you.

???

:lol

Be safe and buy some good gear for her!

sammy

does anyone have experience with this badboy?? (sachs, madass)

I'm interested in something small like it so I can design and fiberglass my own shells for hobby someday. and a training bike would help me get into the whole thing safely

2008madass.jpg
[/QUOTE]

daw840

Flo_Evans said:
???

:lol

Be safe and buy some good gear for her!

:lol :lol

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know what I said damn it. It still worries me, but I don't "let" her do anything. If she wants to do it, well she does it.

We already have her a Nolan Modular helmet and a pair of gloves. We are getting her a Jacket, Boots, and some over-pants here shortly. She is NOT allowed to ride it until her MSF course though. I made that stipulation. So that means I get to break it in for the first 600 miles.:D

So happy my girlfriend is incredibly good at riding a bike, probably because of her dad, but it's nice not to have a crazed lunatic riding near me.

Karud

Never heard of the madass before but it looks pretty solid for urban exploring.
Even the price is okay, “only“ 2000€. But just a five liter gas tank, I don't think
the range is mindblowing, especially if you ride it like in the video.

Karud

It actually is! Here you can qualify for a 125ccm license when you are in the age between 16-18. Everything else (except slower vehicles with less ccm) is prohibited until you're 18.
They are trying to sell all those 125ccm machines (like the cbr125, yamahar125, aprila rs125, cagiva mito 125 etc. etc.) to the kids who can effort it.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Karud said:
It actually is! Here you can qualify for a 125ccm license when you are in the age between 16-18. Everything else (except slower vehicles with less ccm) is prohibited until you're 18.
They are trying to sell all those 125ccm machines (like the cbr125, yamahar125, aprila rs125, cagiva mito 125 etc. etc.) to the kids who can effort it.
when i say kid bike...
2d0dv04.jpg

adults can comfortably ride 125cc despite it being a good market for 16year olds

DeathNote said:

Chicks dig stuff that says "MadAss" on the side.

Man, the weather is taunting me around here. It's above 0 but raining for like a week straight. Then it's supposed to start doing this thing where it's warm all day but sub zero at night. I finish work at midnight, so I'm not sure if I feel comfortable riding home in that.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Man, the weather is taunting me around here. It's above 0 but raining for like a week straight. Then it's supposed to start doing this thing where it's warm all day but sub zero at night. I finish work at midnight, so I'm not sure if I feel comfortable riding home in that.

Our weather, when dry, is becoming very nice. It's in the 60-67º F range when it's sunny and dry. However now it's in the 50s and raining. I have to get my defective new fairing off my bike (which means taking the front off the bike again) and take it to the dealership for them to send to Yamaha. No idea once that's done how long it will be until I can get another.

I've got a question about jacket sizing. Is there usually room to move easily based on the sizes they recommend? The biggest problem I have with shirts and the such is that my shoulders make it tight like I'm going to rip or makes it hard to bend down. I found the size I'm supposed to be based on my chest but I'm just curious the mobility the leather jackets usually give you based on their sizing.

kylej

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I've got a question about jacket sizing. Is there usually room to move easily based on the sizes they recommend? The biggest problem I have with shirts and the such is that my shoulders make it tight like I'm going to rip or makes it hard to bend down. I found the size I'm supposed to be based on my chest but I'm just curious the mobility the leather jackets usually give you based on their sizing.

Well, if you're wearing a sportbike jacket you should sit on a bike with it on. It'll feel weird when you're walking around because it's cut to feel comfortable when you're in a forward/tuck position.

speaking of gear, I posted this a month ago in the gaming side but I guess it fits here too

IMG_0839(1).JPG

IMG_0845(1).JPG

So happy with my new Dainese. The thing is flawless.

edit. oh yeah and I picked up a pair of Vertigos too

IMG_0827(1).JPG

Been an expensive winter :/

kylej said:
Well, if you're wearing a sportbike jacket you should sit on a bike with it on. It'll feel weird when you're walking around because it's cut to feel comfortable when you're in a forward/tuck position.

speaking of gear, I posted this a month ago in the gaming side but I guess it fits here too

So happy with my new Dainese. The thing is flawless.

edit. oh yeah and I picked up a pair of Vertigos too

Been an expensive winter :/

So they're pretty true to what they said and shouldn't compensate a size bigger or anything?

kylej

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So they're pretty true to what they said and shouldn't compensate a size bigger or anything?

No, you shouldn't. The jacket should feel somewhat tight. The armor built into the jacket shouldn't be able to move because you want it in place if you crash. A good jacket is like a fitted piece of clothing or a hat. That Dainese jacket wraps around my upper body like a glove. When you bend down or try to move quickly you'll feel constrained but that's the way it should be.

kylej said:
No, you shouldn't. The jacket should feel somewhat tight. The armor built into the jacket shouldn't be able to move because you want it in place if you crash. A good jacket is like a fitted piece of clothing or a hat. That Dainese jacket wraps around my upper body like a glove. When you bend down or try to move quickly you'll feel constrained but that's the way it should be.

Ok, thanks for the info. That helps a lot.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Those Dainese jackets are slick. I'm in the market for a new jacket, but I'm not sure if anyone deals them locally.

Have you tried Dainese.com? I just did it and it shows pretty much all places that sell their equipment. I don't know where you are but I would definitely give the locator on their site a shot.

http://www.dainese.com/us_en/storelocator/

Don't go by the red marks since those are Dainese owned store but if you put in your address it shows everything.

I do like Dainese style.

Anyone here know of a good quality perforated kangaroo leather jacket? I'm looking for something that would be as good as my current jacket but be more suitable for the warmer days.

Scarecrow

Jeeze. I can handle the rain and cold. But, holy hell, wind scares the crap out of me. I was riding home and a gust forced me clear into the other lane. Good thing it was super late at night with no traffic. What are some strategies for dealing with wind?

Scarecrow said:
Jeeze. I can handle the rain and cold. But, holy hell, wind scares the crap out of me. I was riding home and a gust forced me clear into the other lane. Good thing it was super late at night with no traffic. What are some strategies for dealing with wind?

What kind of bike do you have? I heard with sportbikes if you lean down more into the like "racing position" the wind catches you less and effects you a little less.

thesoapster said:
I do like Dainese style.

Anyone here know of a good quality perforated kangaroo leather jacket? I'm looking for something that would be as good as my current jacket but be more suitable for the warmer days.

Can't think of any off hand but if I find any while I'm still looking at gear I'll let you know.

Edit: Does it have to be kangaroo? I just don't see many companies using kangaroo or at least specifically stating it if they do.

Scarecrow

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What kind of bike do you have? I heard with sportbikes if you lean down more into the like "racing position" the wind catches you less and effects you a little less.
I have a honda shadow 600. It's a standard model.

IMG_1143.jpg

I'm assuming you lean against the wind to combat it, right? To an extent you cannot avoid some drift from sudden wind gusts, but if you know you're riding in a windy area, just be ready to lean into it. You can stay straight. If it's wind on the tropical storm level I'd not be out on the bike, period.

Scarecrow

thesoapster said:
I'm assuming you lean against the wind to combat it, right? To an extent you cannot avoid some drift from sudden wind gusts, but if you know you're riding in a windy area, just be ready to lean into it. You can stay straight. If it's wind on the tropical storm level I'd not be out on the bike, period.
Yeah, I gently lean into it. I'm worried if I lean too much the bike will be swept out from under me.

This has put a damper on my plan to get rid of my car and go only on my bike.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Scarecrow said:
you can get a shield. my honda 750 has one.

random picture on google. not my model. but, it's close to our models.
jjrbpv.jpg

shield helps a lot. i think they look good.

i also have the crash bars you see in the picture. i'd recommend you and daw840 get them.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Have you tried Dainese.com? I just did it and it shows pretty much all places that sell their equipment. I don't know where you are but I would definitely give the locator on their site a shot.

http://www.dainese.com/us_en/storelocator/

Don't go by the red marks since those are Dainese owned store but if you put in your address it shows everything.

Thanks, I'd been on their site but had only been going by the red marks.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Totally true. Without crouching down I go sailing all over the place, even at sub-highway speeds. But racing position keeps you pretty steady. I kind of want a standard for my next bike, but not being able to get really low worries me - I'm not sure how good they are at high speeds without a windshield.

Scarecrow said:
I have a honda shadow 600. It's a standard model.

IMG_1143.jpg

Part of it is that cruisers aren't built for aerodynamics. The big hogs weigh around 800 lbs., so they can hold their ground in the wind and at high speeds. But your bike is around 425 - about the same as my Ninja, though lower to the ground - so it's going to get pushed around more than some other models. The windscreen is probably the best solution.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Totally true. Without crouching down I go sailing all over the place, even at sub-highway speeds. But racing position keeps you pretty steady. I kind of want a standard for my next bike, but not being able to get really low worries me - I'm not sure how good they are at high speeds without a windshield.

Part of it is that cruisers aren't built for aerodynamics. The big hogs weigh around 800 lbs., so they can hold their ground in the wind and at high speeds. But your bike is around 425 - about the same as my Ninja, though lower to the ground - so it's going to get pushed around more than some other models. The windscreen is probably the best solution.

Sailing all over? I mean in high winds it almost doesn't matter. Sure, if you're tucked somewhat you'll avoid some of the wind blast effect, but more than anything the weight/shape of the bike is what matters.

What kind of high speeds are you looking at? A standard is going to be more windy than a supersport from the front unless you have a tall screen (and that may be an accessory that could be purchased). I comfortably hit around 100 mph on the Aprilia Shiver, but I'm also wearing a relatively snug leather jacket and an X-Twelve, which is almost cheating in a way I suppose. Helps the wind flow over you a bit more.

ChanHuk

Banned
Anybody here interested in a 8 cell lithium battery for their bike? I bought it last month and realized I need the money more than I need a new battery. It weighs a total of 2lbs, just looking to recoup what I paid for it $100 + shipping.

ouchx100

I went out to ocotillo wells yesterday. First time in about two months. I was super excited until I got there jumped out of the truck and almost got blown over by the wind:lol

It was still worth it though. I'd never miss a chance to ride my Yamaha yz426. Sorry I don't have a pic of it at the moment. Riding in the wind would probably scare the shit out of me on the street but in the dirt the worst I had to worry about was getting pelted by the sand being blown at me and the wind knocking me off my bike while jumping. I found a sweet jump that I was hitting until I realized that the wind was twisting me a bit midair and I was landing a bit side ways.

It was still freaken sweet:D

Flo_Evans

There is not much you can do about side winds except be prepared for it. Just another reason to avoid superslab. Be extra vigilant when crossing bridges! If it is really gusty you should try and grip the tank more with your knees and keep the bars loose.

I ended up ordering some new progressive front springs for my bike. Going to install them this wensday. Should be fun!

Flo_Evans

whew!

b3k56d.jpg

Easy enough to take off...

119nh2p.jpg

Looks like a Jet Moto bike with no forks. :lol

2vwtqtx.jpg

Oh god what have I done?

14lk07p.jpg

Re- assembled and slipped back on the bike.

2d6ql9l.jpg

A sticker so people know I changed my fork springs. :D

Nice, you didn't like the original fork?

Went for a ride Sunday (to pick up my girlfriend from Amsterdam), but I guess my reserve indicator light had given up, cause I ran out of gas somewhere on the highway. Luckily my dad came to the rescue with a petrol filled jerrycan.

6p8fmv.jpg

And since today was such a nice day in the Netherlands I went for a ride with my new Yamaha, such a completely different experience than riding the 998. The power comes on late and hard, but when you take it easy, the ride is very relaxed, the seat is comfortable, riding position a little less extreme. Yes, definitely some advantages.

2u56p0k.jpg

Flo_Evans

Fallout-NL said:
Nice, you didn't like the original fork?

The original springs where straight wound, and made for a 170lb rider. With gear and luggage I am pushing 250. The progressive springs absorb the small bumps and prevent bottoming out. Also put a slighter thicker oil in. I haven't had allot of time to test it but I think it's an improvement. Still not as nice as KTM forks but its getting there.

I think I might switch out the rear next. It has a air bladder suspension that is pretty goofy.

Damn I miss my duc. The low fuel light on mine was pretty flakey too. :lol Italian electronics. Most of the parts on my bike where made by Aprilia and I haven't had any issues yet despite beating the shit out of it. :D

Just got saddle bags on my bike. My girlfriend got them for me for my birthday.
I've always disliked the way the back of my bike looks--the GS500F has a strange non-symmetry between it's aggressive almost 'busa like front end and the conservative, standard tail. I suppose the back end is more honest about what the bike is...but it's easier to hide it than the front...

IMG_0215.jpg

It's quite liberating to ride and carry stuff without having to bring a bag. (I usually wear my chrome messenger bag.)
0810_crup_01_z+motorcycle_accessoriess+chrome_bags_citizen_satchel.jpg

FFFUUUUUUUU~

I went to get out my bike last night, and while there's enough juice left in the battery to light up all the gauges, the engine won't turn over. Eventually it stopped doing that "engine starting" noise and just started clicking when I hit the start button.

So now it looks like I've got to go get a charger. I've never had to take the battery out before either, so that'll be a first. Any recommendations?

Battery Tender chargers are popular. But I am very happy with a Black and Decker Smart charger I got at Wal-Mart for 10 bucks. It is a float charger so it will charge your battery and then keep it topped off during storage.

Hey snakeswithlasers, how does your GS500f live up on the highway? I'm thinking about leaning towards one of those over a ninja but I heard it's power is more comparable to the 250 ninja, is it that lacking or is some of that just FUD?

LiveFromKyoto said:
FFFUUUUUUUU~

I went to get out my bike last night, and while there's enough juice left in the battery to light up all the gauges, the engine won't turn over. Eventually it stopped doing that "engine starting" noise and just started clicking when I hit the start button.

So now it looks like I've got to go get a charger. I've never had to take the battery out before either, so that'll be a first. Any recommendations?
Gah, that happened to me a couple months back. I bought this tender and it's worked great. The only real problem is that my battery was completely toast, so it didn't take the charge and I had to get a new one. But I've been hooking my new battery up to the tender every couple weeks (since my commute is only 7 minutes, my battery doesn't seem to get a chance to charge itself) and I'm hopeful that it'll add some life to the guy.

Taking the battery itself out wasn't tough at all--at least not in my case. I just took off the seat and used a crescent wrench to pop the battery off. Make sure you remember to re-attach the ventilation hose if you pull it off. Depending on your setup you may not even have to remove the battery. I live in an apartment, so I don't have a garage. But if you do, you can just hook the tender directly to your bike while it's still in your bike and save yourself a few minutes of trouble.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Hey snakeswithlasers, how does your GS500f live up on the highway? I'm thinking about leaning towards one of those over a ninja but I heard it's power is more comparable to the 250 ninja, is it that lacking or is some of that just FUD?
Well, this is my first bike, and I've never ridden a 250 so consider all of that. What I can say though is that I really like it. I regularly take it on 45 minute sprawls up the 101 from Santa Barbara to Ojai to visit my grandfather. It does great in freeway traffic around here. Acceleration and speed wise--the thing gets up to 60 in 2nd gear and I'm usually cruising at 75 at about 7k RPMS with plenty of power in that range and another gear to spare for passing (or two? shoot, I never top the thing to sixth I don't think...). It's quicker (maybe not faster, I've never taken it past 90-95, but a friend had one and said it'll get up to around 105) than most cars you'll run up against so getting out of trouble isn't an issue.
I'm not sure how this stuff compares to a Ninja 250--but, god, I really like my bike. And I feel completely comfortable on the freeway now--any hesitations that I have are due to my new rider-ness and not the bike. The thing I remember reading about 250s is that they're also fine on the freeway, but you have to keep them redlined--I like cruising around 7k because I know that I just need to twist my wrist to get the power at that range if I need it.

Top Bottom