• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

SnakeswithLasers said:
Well, this is my first bike, and I've never ridden a 250 so consider all of that. What I can say though is that I really like it. I regularly take it on 45 minute sprawls up the 101 from Santa Barbara to Ojai to visit my grandfather. It does great in freeway traffic around here. Acceleration and speed wise--the thing gets up to 60 in 2nd gear and I'm usually cruising at 75 at about 7k RPMS with plenty of power in that range and another gear to spare for passing (or two? shoot, I never top the thing to sixth I don't think...). It's quicker (maybe not faster, I've never taken it past 90-95, but a friend had one and said it'll get up to around 105) than most cars you'll run up against so getting out of trouble isn't an issue.
I'm not sure how this stuff compares to a Ninja 250--but, god, I really like my bike. And I feel completely comfortable on the freeway now--any hesitations that I have are due to my new rider-ness and not the bike. The thing I remember reading about 250s is that they're also fine on the freeway, but you have to keep them redlined--I like cruising around 7k because I know that I just need to twist my wrist to get the power at that range if I need it.

That's pretty much exactly what I wanted to know. That's good enough for me as long as it can keep up on the highway and still have enough power to pull away from something if I need it then that's just fine for me to start on. Do you get the 59 or 61 mpg like they boast or you never really calculated it? I'm still kicking myself for missing out on the last gs500f I saw. :(

Flo_Evans said:
Must be rough... :lol

Not everyone can ride cross-country every weekend like you do. :p

17889.png

Can I join?

garath

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
That's pretty much exactly what I wanted to know. That's good enough for me as long as it can keep up on the highway and still have enough power to pull away from something if I need it then that's just fine for me to start on. Do you get the 59 or 61 mpg like they boast or you never really calculated it? I'm still kicking myself for missing out on the last gs500f I saw. :(

Sounds pretty much like the Ninja500 I had. Oh and for gas mileage, I was regularly clocking in around 75mpg. Didn't do a lot of highway either. First time I thought it was a fluke, second time same thing. It was just super efficient. Comparatively my ninja 9r gets around 35-40mpg. Still good but a big difference.

Thanks for the advice guys, just picked up a trickle charger. Regular $100 but the hardware store had it on for 50% off, hopefully this works. Now I just have to find time to take out the battery. It's under the seat, I'm hoping Ninjas aren't made to be tough to take apart like that (though there are some weird/inaccessible design choices on mine).

Man, gorgeous day around here, so many bikes on the road. I'm feeling pangs of longing with each one that passes. :lol

L0st Id3ntity said:
17889.png

Can I join?

Yes, but only if you can pull a stoppie like that.

Flo_Evans said:
Must be rough... :lol
To be honest, I was scared shitless the first time I did it. :lol Freeway riding is probably easy to take for granted once you've been riding for a while--but the first time out there, it's pretty intense with 3 lanes of traffic all gunning for you--fuckers passing on the right, SUV drivers not looking or signaling, 18 wheelers maneuvering around each other. It's also a scenic drive, so you get a lot of tourists gaping at the ocean and not looking at the road. It's no Dragon, but for a newbie, it's enough. =P
Anyway, the main reason I do that ride isn't for an "adventure" :lol, my 90 year old grandpa lives out there and I like to say hello once a week or so. I'd normally visit him in the car--but now I have no car. I haven't yet tried to do a trip on the thing, so I was just using it as an example to say that it's very freeway worthy.

Anyway, I don't really look at my gas mileage anymore. When I WAS calculating it, it was coming in at 45-50--but I really like to grab the throttle and most of my trips are quite short (7 miles to and from work), so a lot of gas is wasted in starting up and running the choke. When I take it for longer stretches, the mileage seems appreciably better.

Flo_Evans

SnakeswithLasers said:
To be honest, I was scared shitless the first time I did it. :lol Freeway riding is probably easy to take for granted once you've been riding for a while--but the first time out there, it's pretty intense with 3 lanes of traffic all gunning for you--fuckers passing on the right, SUV drivers not looking or signaling, 18 wheelers maneuvering around each other. It's also a scenic drive, so you get a lot of tourists gaping at the ocean and not looking at the road. It's no Dragon, but for a newbie, it's enough. =P
Anyway, the main reason I do that ride isn't for an "adventure" :lol, my 90 year old grandpa lives out there and I like to say hello once a week or so. I'd normally visit him in the car--but now I have no car. I haven't yet tried to do a trip on the thing, so I was just using it as an example to say that it's very freeway worthy.

Anyway, I don't really look at my gas mileage anymore. When I WAS calculating it, it was coming in at 45-50--but I really like to grab the throttle and most of my trips are quite short (7 miles to and from work), so a lot of gas is wasted in starting up and running the choke. When I take it for longer stretches, the mileage seems appreciably better.

I'm just jealous. You guys have the mountains, the ocean, and the desert. My bike would be so happy there. :D

I've been to Cali allot but never had a bike to ride out there. I think next time I go I'll have to look into renting one.

Anybody ever done any long distance riding on a sportbike? I'm looking at riding from Toronto to Vermont in April but I'm not sure if I'm going to injure myself or not :lol

Fortunately my model's a ZX6D which is a little (very little) more touring-focused than a standard Ninja, but still, it's 7-8 hours of riding.

daw840

Flo_Evans said:
I'm just jealous. You guys have the mountains, the ocean, and the desert. My bike would be so happy there. :D

I've been to Cali allot but never had a bike to ride out there. I think next time I go I'll have to look into renting one.

I COMPLETELY agree with you. I didn't get my first bike until I moved back to KC from LA! I am so pissed at myself for not doing it while I was out there.

Flo_Evans said:

Just tell yourself that the salty air would be hell on your chain and paint!
Although--don't you ride a shaft driven bike? And your paint is covered in mud? Shoot.

Flo_Evans

SnakeswithLasers said:
Just tell yourself that the salty air would be hell on your chain and paint!
Although--don't you ride a shaft driven bike? And your paint is covered in mud? Shoot.

Most BMW's are shaft drive but mine is a chain. And yeah my paint is covered in mud/scratched up. :lol

Now that it's getting nicer, a lot more bikes are popping up for sale and I can't decide on whether to get a cheaper 250 or spend almost double and get a 500... Tough decisions. :(

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Now that it's getting nicer, a lot more bikes are popping up for sale and I can't decide on whether to get a cheaper 250 or spend almost double and get a 500... Tough decisions. :(

250 should hold its value better, so if you want bigger after a season or however long you should be able to get a good return.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Well both 250 and 500 are 'beginner' bikes, but 250 is a better thing to start at. You do your first season or two on the 250 and you'll be a better rider for it, and you'll have people lining up at your door to buy your 250 then. I bet you'll get 95% of what you paid for it too.

Dragona Akehi said:
Well both 250 and 500 are 'beginner' bikes, but 250 is a better thing to start at. You do your first season or two on the 250 and you'll be a better rider for it, and you'll have people lining up at your door to buy your 250 then. I bet you'll get 95% of what you paid for it too.

Ya, the problem before was a lot were roughly the same price so for like $300-$500 more I could get a 500 instead but now a broader range are showing up.

Dragona Akehi said:
In all seriousness: How does this work?

SnakeswithLasers said:
In all seriousness: How does this work?

Because it is easier to progress in terms of learning good, basic riding habits and skills with a less powerful bike. It is easier to learn to push a smaller bike closer to its limits than a larger bike.

VASPER

Banned
thesoapster said:
Because it is easier to progress in terms of learning good, basic riding habits and skills with a less powerful bike. It is easier to learn to push a smaller bike closer to its limits than a larger bike.

YES YES and YES, i have a WR250X and i could not be happier, if i had gone straight for a bigger bike i would have killed myself by now.

Agreed, but it's not absolutely necessary to start on a 250. A 2 cilindered 5 or 600 is 'tame' enough. Problem with those 250s is the material they're equipped with: 2nd rate suspension, small disk brakes, narrow tires, basically stuff fit for a souped up moped. It's good to start out a little bit slower, but I'd want it to be an actual motorcycle.

thesoapster said:
I guess I'm just trying to figure out what that really means. I've been riding for only about 6 months or so and I started on a GS500. I'm just not sure how my riding has been hurt based on my choice of bike (which was the best buy around). Honestly, as a newer rider, I feel my skill development is hampered more by the fact that I don't ride with anyone experienced than by my bike.
I also don't feel that my 500 has been in a position to put me in any more trouble than a 250 would have--an I4 supersport on the other hand...
I don't want to come off as argumentative, I am just having trouble with the concepts of skill and development since I don't have a clear idea of how to conceptualize what would be different for me now if I had started on a Ninja 250.

That's kind of the problem, Snakes. None of us can really imagine what kind of riders we would be if we had started on different bikes. I started on a 600 and took it slow and progressed into it. Did not learn how to ride it fast, though. That was on my GSX-R750, and now on my R1 (if I could get the goddamn thing back together...).

Likely I would have chosen different bikes following a smaller ride than what I have now, and I might be a more "comfortable" rider.

One thing stays true no matter what. The more you ride the bike, the better you will know it and the better you will become as a rider.

edit: and yeah, Fallout, I've heard the clutch on a Ninja 250R can be done for after a relatively small number of clutch wheelies :lol

But really, it's not like riding a Grand Prix replica bike of the same size at all. I'm still a bit peeved that the U.S. 250R is carbureted and the Euro one is fuel injected.

thesoapster said:
That's kind of the problem, Snakes. None of us can really imagine what kind of riders we would be if we had started on different bikes. I started on a 600 and took it slow and progressed into it. Did not learn how to ride it fast, though. That was on my GSX-R750, and now on my R1 (if I could get the goddamn thing back together...).

Likely I would have chosen different bikes following a smaller ride than what I have now, and I might be a more "comfortable" rider.

One thing stays true no matter what. The more you ride the bike, the better you will know it and the better you will become as a rider.
Ya--I'd like to be a "comfortable" rider. I'm just not sure how to get there.

SnakeswithLasers said:
Ya--I'd like to be a "comfortable" rider. I'm just not sure how to get there.

6 months is really not that long. I didn't start to actually get good until my second bike, which was over 5,000 miles later (5.25k or so for the CBR, then did another 5 until the GSX-R bought it). So, I had ridden about 7,000 miles or more by the time I started to really get with the flow and felt comfortable. That took me about one year to get to that mileage. It also depends on the type of riding you do. I do find myself on straight roads from time to time, but it's almost always so I can get to twisty ones. More challenging riding that tests your skills will further you more.

You should also find out what makes you uncomfortable. If you don't feel comfortable riding on highways, figure out what about it actually gets to you; if it's your bike's throttle response, the traffic, etc. For most riders (including myself), corners are the biggest challenge (hence why most riders die in corners). Corners, especially when taken fast, will test all of your motorcycle handling skills and perceptions. Of the people I regularly ride with, only two can actually stay with me in corners. One is the guy who helped me learn to push myself when I had the Suzuki, the other is my coworker who has racked up about the same amount of total miles I have by now (around 18,000) on his R6. And then there are a couple individuals I ride with every so often who can out-corner me (on 600s). Then again, they've both wrecked (one just a lowside, the other quite a bit more serious). So, on the streets you have to not only mind your own ability, but mind road surfaces, blind corners, etc. I figured they weren't necessarily faster (as I stayed with them on roads I knew), but it seemed like many times they would push themselves harder than the safety cushion would allow. Meaning, sure, it's possible to go around X corner at Y speed at Z lean angle, but if future conditions cannot be properly anticipated throughout the turn, trouble can occur.

So, be sure if you do push yourself in any condition (straights, corners, etc) that you keep within your limits of comfort and the road's limits

I've been interested in learning to ride for several years now, but the timing has always been off. Just a question though, is a rider any safer on a dual sport as opposed to a sport bike? Perhaps you sit more upright on a dual sport bike? (i.e. are you more visible on a DS?)

I saw one go by the other day and I have to say it looked very comfortable, and perhaps more appealing to me than a Ninja, for example.

opticalmace said:
I've been interested in learning to ride for several years now, but the timing has always been off. Just a question though, is a rider any safer on a dual sport as opposed to a sport bike? Perhaps you sit more upright on a dual sport bike? (i.e. are you more visible on a DS?)

I saw one go by the other day and I have to say it looked very comfortable, and perhaps more appealing to me than a Ninja, for example.

Safer? Not necessarily. A sportbike can go faster, so I guess that makes it potentially less safe. Then again the brakes, suspension, etc on a sportbike will be better. Most people will, however, be more comfortable in a standard (upright) seating position. Personally, I'm used to the ergonomics of a sportbike and it feels "right" to me. For going fast and cornering fast, the layout of a supersport is more ideal (and not just because of the reach-forward handlebars). For most cruising and general "fun riding" a standard is going to probably be nicer. My bike encourages me to look ahead to the next turn and think to myself "So. I think I could enter at 60 and exit at 90." A standard like the Aprilia Shiver (in my avatar) feels stupidly easy to ride/throw around, so it's just a really nice bike to ride (with a decent amount of engine grunt as well). So, what's best for you depends on what type of riding you're interested in. Dual sports are best if you're going to be going off-road, obviously. If you're not planning on that, then look at more street-oriented machines.

thesoapster said:
Safer? Not necessarily. A sportbike can go faster, so I guess that makes it potentially less safe. Then again the brakes, suspension, etc on a sportbike will be better. Most people will, however, be more comfortable in a standard (upright) seating position. Personally, I'm used to the ergonomics of a sportbike and it feels "right" to me. For going fast and cornering fast, the layout of a supersport is more ideal (and not just because of the reach-forward handlebars). For most cruising and general "fun riding" a standard is going to probably be nicer. My bike encourages me to look ahead to the next turn and think to myself "So. I think I could enter at 60 and exit at 90." A standard like the Aprilia Shiver (in my avatar) feels stupidly easy to ride/throw around, so it's just a really nice bike to ride (with a decent amount of engine grunt as well). So, what's best for you depends on what type of riding you're interested in. Dual sports are best if you're going to be going off-road, obviously. If you're not planning on that, then look at more street-oriented machines.
Thanks soapster. I had not thought of the standard/dual sport distinction.

As a side note, how practical is it towing a bike on a hitch-mounted trailer? I assume it can be fairly expensive. My vehicle supposedly can tow 1500lbs.

opticalmace said:
Thanks soapster. I had not thought of the standard/dual sport distinction.

As a side note, how practical is it towing a bike on a hitch-mounted trailer? I assume it can be fairly expensive. My vehicle supposedly can tow 1500lbs.

I'm confused by what you mean it can be fairly expensive? You're paying someone else with a trailer?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I'm confused by what you mean it can be fairly expensive? You're paying someone else with a trailer?
Sorry, I guess I just meant purchasing a trailer. Essentially I'm trying to respect my parents wishes (not ride on-road if I do this--so I'd tow my bike to some off-road riding area).

thesoapster said:
6 months is really not that long. I didn't start to actually get good until my second bike, which was over 5,000 miles later (5.25k or so for the CBR, then did another 5 until the GSX-R bought it). So, I had ridden about 7,000 miles or more by the time I started to really get with the flow and felt comfortable. That took me about one year to get to that mileage. It also depends on the type of riding you do. I do find myself on straight roads from time to time, but it's almost always so I can get to twisty ones. More challenging riding that tests your skills will further you more.

You should also find out what makes you uncomfortable. If you don't feel comfortable riding on highways, figure out what about it actually gets to you; if it's your bike's throttle response, the traffic, etc. For most riders (including myself), corners are the biggest challenge (hence why most riders die in corners). Corners, especially when taken fast, will test all of your motorcycle handling skills and perceptions. Of the people I regularly ride with, only two can actually stay with me in corners. One is the guy who helped me learn to push myself when I had the Suzuki, the other is my coworker who has racked up about the same amount of total miles I have by now (around 18,000) on his R6. And then there are a couple individuals I ride with every so often who can out-corner me (on 600s). Then again, they've both wrecked (one just a lowside, the other quite a bit more serious). So, on the streets you have to not only mind your own ability, but mind road surfaces, blind corners, etc. I figured they weren't necessarily faster (as I stayed with them on roads I knew), but it seemed like many times they would push themselves harder than the safety cushion would allow. Meaning, sure, it's possible to go around X corner at Y speed at Z lean angle, but if future conditions cannot be properly anticipated throughout the turn, trouble can occur.

So, be sure if you do push yourself in any condition (straights, corners, etc) that you keep within your limits of comfort and the road's limits

Thanks man! I guess I just need to get out and hit the twisty roads around here a bit more. I need to find some friends that ride...

opticalmace said:
Sorry, I guess I just meant purchasing a trailer. Essentially I'm trying to respect my parents wishes (not ride on-road if I do this--so I'd tow my bike to some off-road riding area).

When you say off-road, do you mean paved track (track days), or are you thinking more dirt riding? If you are not going to be on the road period, don't even bother with a dual sport (the whole point is so you can actually ride on the road and then get off the road when you want to). Just get an actual dirt bike. Unless you're planning on riding it on-road in the near future...

SnakeswithLasers said:
Thanks man! I guess I just need to get out and hit the twisty roads around here a bit more. I need to find some friends that ride...

If you can, ride with people who are more experienced than you and are willing to help you along the way. If they lead (which when I was pushing myself a bit more I had the better rider lead the way...plus he knows a ton of sweet roads), you will have to keep in mind to not push yourself too much to try and keep up with them. As I've mentioned in the past, when you ride with someone who is not really good with cornering through a twisty road (and when you yourself are skilled at such riding), you will leave them in the dust by just cruising even. I mentioned my friend and I (he on an R6) smoked the hell out of two other R1s. They just never road their bikes in corner-heavy areas.

A good teacher will have no problem waiting for you at stop signs or holding up before turning. If they try to rush you along and whatnot, don't ride with them (maybe at all, depending on how much of a dick they're being). It actually is nice if the lead biker doesn't dust the trailing biker because then the less experienced rider can see how the better rider takes corners.

thesoapster said:
When you say off-road, do you mean paved track (track days), or are you thinking more dirt riding? If you are not going to be on the road period, don't even bother with a dual sport (the whole point is so you can actually ride on the road and then get off the road when you want to). Just get an actual dirt bike. Unless you're planning on riding it on-road in the near future...
That's the thing. Personally I would rather just ride on the road, but at the moment I don't want to worry my parents (they're not into it), so the choice is either just continue to wait until I have my own place (earliest would be next fall, after I graduate), or get a trailer and a dirt bike in the mean time. Don't know if it's worth the effort. I've never ridden a motorcycle. Sorry for being confusing!

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I just got my first motorcycle today!!!!!! :D :D :D

I got a 1994 Ninja 250R with 4996 miles on it. Can't wait to start learning on it.

Very nice! Post up some pictures :p

opticalmace said:
That's the thing. Personally I would rather just ride on the road, but at the moment I don't want to worry my parents (they're not into it), so the choice is either just continue to wait until I have my own place (earliest would be next fall, after I graduate), or get a trailer and a dirt bike in the mean time. Don't know if it's worth the effort. I've never ridden a motorcycle. Sorry for being confusing!

When you say next fall you mean 2010 or 2011?

Road and dirt riding are different in a number of very important ways from what I understand (I've only ever ridden sport ATVs). So, if your ultimate goal is to be on the road, then you should get a street bike. However, if it's not until fall 2011 at earliest that you will be free from the parents, I can see your point. If you still would rather do street riding, you should see if there are any tracks around your area that you could do track days on. That would make you into an awesome rider :D. If there's a track not too far away and you're willing to get a trailer, I'd ride track over dirt, personally. Then again I've never been on a two wheeled off-road machine. So I'd make the choice based on what you're planning on doing. If you do want to ride both, by all means consider the dual sports.

thesoapster said:
Very nice! Post up some pictures :p

When you say next fall you mean 2010 or 2011?

Road and dirt riding are different in a number of very important ways from what I understand (I've only ever ridden sport ATVs). So, if your ultimate goal is to be on the road, then you should get a street bike. However, if it's not until fall 2011 at earliest that you will be free from the parents, I can see your point. If you still would rather do street riding, you should see if there are any tracks around your area that you could do track days on. That would make you into an awesome rider :D. If there's a track not too far away and you're willing to get a trailer, I'd ride track over dirt, personally. Then again I've never been on a two wheeled off-road machine. So I'd make the choice based on what you're planning on doing. If you do want to ride both, by all means consider the dual sports.

Too dark and didn't have my camera so maybe tomorrow or the day after I will.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
How bad is to leave the gas on when it's not running? I forgt to turn it off. Do I have to go back and do it now or can I do it tomorrow?

It's a modern bike. There's no real reason to turn it off unless you're putting it into storage for awhile, and even then, it'll be fine. I do it on mine out of habit, and it still isn't completely necessary, and it's an '84.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I just got my first motorcycle today!!!!!!

I got a 1994 Ninja 250R with 4996 miles on it. Can't wait to start learning on it.

Welcome to Ninja nation! You are now the proud owner of what is generally agreed to be one of the most fun, zippy bikes out there. If you want to be a comfortable rider, a season or two on one of those will get you there. Just start off taking it easy, don't blaze through turns until you really have push steering down. Just start off with the habit of thinking that anybody behind you who thinks you're taking curves too slowly can fuck off. You'll be smoking 'em soon enough. Just remember that the majority of bad rider accidents happen in the first year of riding, and it's generally because someone doesn't respect their limitations and takes a turn too fast.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
How bad is to leave the gas on when it's not running? I forgt to turn it off. Do I have to go back and do it now or can I do it tomorrow?

Bad but not super bad. Just don't make it a habit.

I just got my Ninja charged up last night, took it around town for a while. Felt good, I swear the amount of time I spent this winter thinking about riding made me a better rider than when I put it away. :lol

Of course now the weather is supposed to be bad again this week, maybe even a little light snow. Hopefully my part of town dodges it, I'm ready to ride again.

Hey, anybody ridden one of these?

2w5mx3a.jpg

Triumph Street Triple R. Basically a streetfighter version of the Daytona 675 tuned a bit more to the low end for real street performance. Everything I've read/seen about them has given me a massive boner for one. Owners online seem to love them; they only weigh like 375 lbs. and you can throw them through any turn you can imagine, but the engine is ridiculous. This guy gets one up to 125 mph (200 kmph) in about 10 seconds, and tops out at 160 mph (260 kpmh):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBacM78FRsI

I've read they can get up near 270 kmph on a dyno. Considering my Ninja 6 gets shakey around 130 klicks, that kind of blows my mind. Crazy for a 675 cc, and awesome for something that's tuned for real life riding and has a near straight-line power curve. Plus they're kinda stylish, and people seem to think they're actually a better real-world bike than the bigger Speed Triple, which is heavier.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I just got my first motorcycle today!!!!!! :D :D :D

Congrats!! Have fun out there! You took the MSF already, right? I thought I remembered reading that, but I'm not sure...

DeathNote said:
what's your gas refill method guys? stupid handle drips on my paint afterward

I bang the hand around inside to get most of the drips away. As I lift it out, I turn it up (doesn't ever drip that way) while keeping it over the open gas tank. While in this position I move it away from the bike.

SnakeswithLasers said:
Congrats!! Have fun out there! You took the MSF already, right? I thought I remembered reading that, but I'm not sure...

Not yet, signed up a little while ago but it isn't until the first weekend in may. I just got my permit today and practiced going up and down my grandparents driveway, practicing taking off in first gear. I'll go turn the switch off tomorrow and maybe practice more if I have time. I'll spam with some pics in a couple minutes after I have dinner. :D

Top Bottom