• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

LiveFromKyoto said:
Off the top of my head that sounds fantastic considering 250s usually go for more than that, but what year?

As long as it's in good condition and has been well maintained it shouldn't matter much. The 500R/EX500 hasn't been changed for many years.

Karud said:
That bike wouldn't even be close to be street legal in the EU. :D

Don't you need any blinkers?
Actually the US is like the only place it's not street legal out of the factory haha. You can get 650Rs street legal here though, obviously (except in Cali and probably some other places?). Upon yearly inspection you need blinkers, but when I plan on doing mostly dirt riding I'll keep them off incase of a spill. I use hand signals on the way to the trails. I'm actually not sure how legal that is, but cops seem to not mind (I've had lots behind me in these situations). I live in a small town (like ridiculously small) where it's like less than 2-5 minutes to any of my favorite riding spots. It's really easy to put them back on for long road sessions. I've got that super expensive baja designs street kit. :D

Ah shi--here comes SafteyGAF D:

EDIT: Oh yeah it's legal to ride ATVs and other off road vehicles on the street here. o_O

Karud

ATVs and Quads are legal here, too. You just need to have street light, numberplate illumination, blinkers... etc...

A friend of mine got nearly busted for having a slighty to noisy silencer on the Berlin city-highway. They don't joke about safety, or emission installations here...
Maybe that's because we don't have a speedlimit on the autobahn. :p

PS.: Just made my R6 ready for next month, winter's over!

2001 edition.

Scarecrow

My goal of only using my bike for transportation for this winter is nearly complete. We've had the coldest winter here in Tampa since for ever, so it's been a real trial by fire (or ice).

Now, I have to figure out how to sell off my car. It's a waste of money to pay insurance for it when I hardly use it.

My stupid Arai broke. =(
I was replacing the visor (removed it to clean it) and the damn cover over the ear piece snapped. I can't seem to find a place to get a replacement online either (because I don't know what the piece is called...) and arai's site doesn't work.
Bah. Should've went with Shoei I guess.

SnakeswithLasers said:
My stupid Arai broke. =(
I was replacing the visor (removed it to clean it) and the damn cover over the ear piece snapped. I can't seem to find a place to get a replacement online either (because I don't know what the piece is called...) and arai's site doesn't work.
Bah. Should've went with Shoei I guess.

I've always hated their visor system. Still, contact the place you bought it from and they may have a number for you to call. It may be under warranty...

ChiTownBuffalo said:
I am off to pick up my Triumph Thruxton today. Black with a gold stripe. Pics to follow.

Nice! That's a fricking awesome bike. Only thing that holds me back from one of those is a personal preference for two seaters, but that black & gold paint job is pure class.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Whoops, it's a 2002.

Yeah, if it's in good shape, and with that mileage it should be, that's a good deal on a great bike to own. I'm guessing given the mileage that it's probably about time to change the tires though, so you may need to factor that in. But my ZX6 is older than that with 4x as much mileage and it's still solid, you can never go wrong with a Ninja.

Flo_Evans

Mr Sandman said:
0225001518.jpg

Little adventure I went on today. I was tearing up the mud hills where the snow melted away. So fun drifting!

Man it looks so off with that broken handguard. :lol Ah well, $12 fix.

(And yup she's street legal, the plate's just not visible)

Awesome! :D

Riding on the street is a pretty amazing feeling after being trapped in a car for years but once you leave the road and start exploring the woods you really appreciate the freedom a motorcycle offers. The only problem is the increased wear and tear :lol

As mentioned prior, my bike was knocked over. I have R&G race cut sliders (highly, highly, highly recommended) and some Motovation swingarm spools. This limited the damage to my upper cowl. Turns out the upper cowl is a motherfucker. It is held in by 5 screws, one of which is in the center of the nose. Which is way up at the front of the bike behind the instrument cluster and a column of the chassis that's bolted to the front of the frame around the area where the steering damper is. Well, a little persistence (and a glance or two at the diagrams in my service manual), and now my bike has no face. Muahahahha.

Broken cowl after removal -

4399197273_92cdb1c316_o.jpg

New cowl installed to the front column/headlight/gauge cluster assembly -

4399197313_bae5a2923b_o.jpg

Something about carrying the front of the bike around makes me laugh.

garath

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Does $2400 for ninja 500R with 9100 miles sound overpriced or is that reasonable? It's a 2002.

Sounds like a good price. I sold my '97 500 with 4500 miles on it for $1500 two years ago. Was in great condition. 5 years newer, more than reasonable to pay $2400. Make sure it's been maintained though. That's the biggest factor more than years or even miles.

I went there today and that ninja I wanted was gone. :'( So I have a new question. They did have a Suzuki GS500F. It's a 2004 with 6300 miles and going for $3300. How are Suzuki's? Is the build of this comparable to a ninja? This is air/oil cooled compared to the liquid cooled ninja, is that a problem? It also has a D&D pipe exhaust which the guy said is considerably louder and I don't like loud mufflers... :/ I'm just curious about the overall worth of this suzuki compared to the ninja. I don't know much about suzuki. Thanks.

Nice to see the Multistrada is no longer fugly.

The GS500F is supposed to be pretty good from what I've heard. Search for reviews on it...

In general I've found Suzuki to be of good quality. I've owned a Honda, Suzuki, and now have a Yamaha, so I cannot comment on Kawas too much. The Yamaha is probably the best built, with the Suzuki and Honda in a near tie to me. You'd be fine. Any of the Big Four bikes are pretty much going to have solid components.

edit: As for exhaust, you won't hear as much of it as the people around you. You should probably be wearing ear protection while riding, anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much.

thesoapster said:
Nice to see the Multistrada is no longer fugly.

The GS500F is supposed to be pretty good from what I've heard. Search for reviews on it...

In general I've found Suzuki to be of good quality. I've owned a Honda, Suzuki, and now have a Yamaha, so I cannot comment on Kawas too much. The Yamaha is probably the best built, with the Suzuki and Honda in a near tie to me. You'd be fine. Any of the Big Four bikes are pretty much going to have solid components.

edit: As for exhaust, you won't hear as much of it as the people around you. You should probably be wearing ear protection while riding, anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much.

So air vs. liquid cooled isn't a huge deal? And I've just always hated super loud exhausts so I just don't want to be one of those people.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So air vs. liquid cooled isn't a huge deal? And I've just always hated super loud exhausts so I just don't want to be one of those people.

I wouldn't let the air cooled part bother you. I think the only time that can be an issue is if you get stuck in traffic on a really hot day for a long period of time. As for the pipe, it probably still has baffling in it. The super loud exhausts you're probably thinking of are straight pipes most often found on cruisers (usually Harley-Davidsons).

O, I got one more question that I've been forgetting to ask since I posted in this thread. I don't have any where to store it if I get a motorcycle. How capable are they to withstanding the elements? Would it be ok if I just get a cover or will that not be enough? I live in NJ to give you an idea of the weather.

garath

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
O, I got one more question that I've been forgetting to ask since I posted in this thread. I don't have any where to store it if I get a motorcycle. How capable are they to withstanding the elements? Would it be ok if I just get a cover or will that not be enough? I live in NJ to give you an idea of the weather.

I kept my first bike under a cover at my apt complex (locked up like crazy). It was fine with the elements. However, that said, you'll need to find winter storage. I would not leave any bike out in the elements during the winter.

Some options are public storage, or find a friend with a garage and pay them $50 a month or something. I've done both.

garath said:
I kept my first bike under a cover at my apt complex (locked up like crazy). It was fine with the elements. However, that said, you'll need to find winter storage. I would not leave any bike out in the elements during the winter.

Some options are public storage, or find a friend with a garage and pay them $50 a month or something. I've done both.

So rain is ok with a cover but put it away for the winter? That might not be too bad, I just don't want it in storage because the closest storage place is 20mins away so it'd be a pain to switch to ride to work and stuff.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So rain is ok with a cover but put it away for the winter? That might not be too bad, I just don't want it in storage because the closest storage place is 20mins away so it'd be a pain to switch to ride to work and stuff.

Basically. It's also a good idea to buy a cover for your bike anyway, so people (read: potential thieves) can't see what it is. If you don't advertise you have a gixxer, it's less likely it'll be targeted for theft.

Flo_Evans

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Air cooled vs. liquid cooled isn't that big of a deal. An air cooled bike is simpler, lighter and less maintenance. All other things being equal you can extract more power from a liquid cooled engine without it melting down, and sit it a traffic jam longer. But really the whole point of a bike is not to sit in traffic! If you are absolutely stuck you can always switch off the engine if its getting to hot.

As for exhaust noise allot of aftermarket exhaust comes with different dB inserts. If not you can always fit a less noisy slip on.

Dragona Akehi said:
Basically. It's also a good idea to buy a cover for your bike anyway, so people (read: potential thieves) can't see what it is. If you don't advertise you have a gixxer, it's less likely it'll be targeted for theft.

I'm surrounded by a pretty big farm so theft has never been an issue. :p Is there a certain kind worth getting? I see there is vented and stuff but does the venting ever let rain in? I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
Flo_Evans said:
Air cooled vs. liquid cooled isn't that big of a deal. An air cooled bike is simpler, lighter and less maintenance. All other things being equal you can extract more power from a liquid cooled engine without it melting down, and sit it a traffic jam longer. But really the whole point of a bike is not to sit in traffic! If you are absolutely stuck you can always switch off the engine if its getting to hot.

As for exhaust noise allot of aftermarket exhaust comes with different dB inserts. If not you can always fit a less noisy slip on.

Cool, I just always hated people who it sounds like a jet taking off when they're going by so I can't stand that kind of muffler. I have zero idea what the different kinds sound like so that's why I was hesitant with a D&D pipe because I don't know what that is.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I'm surrounded by a pretty big farm so theft has never been an issue. :p Is there a certain kind worth getting? I see there is vented and stuff but does the venting ever let rain in? I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Just get a plain all-purpose one. I spent about 20$USD and it's lasted me three years. They're meant to eventually wear out.

Dragona Akehi said:
Just get a plain all-purpose one. I spent about 20$USD and it's lasted me three years. They're meant to eventually wear out.

Is your tag supposed to change when you go over it or is my computer freaking out? Sounds good though, I'm just always worried about it rusting out like crazy or something.

Only $20!

Flo_Evans

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Cool, I just always hated people who it sounds like a jet taking off when they're going by so I can't stand that kind of muffler. I have zero idea what the different kinds sound like so that's why I was hesitant with a D&D pipe because I don't know what that is.

The idea with vented covers is to let moisture out. If you just trow a plastic tarp over a motorcycle it will turn into a mini greenhouse and trap moisture from the ground.

I would search youtube for that bike and pipe combo - people love uploading that kind of thing and it should give you a pretty good idea of the sound. :D

Flo_Evans said:
The idea with vented covers is to let moisture out. If you just trow a plastic tarp over a motorcycle it will turn into a mini greenhouse and trap moisture from the ground.

I would search youtube for that bike and pipe combo - people love uploading that kind of thing and it should give you a pretty good idea of the sound. :D

Thanks! :D Ya, that's why I was worried about rust because I remember my dad saying it's better if it can breathe to let moisture out.

Edit: Seems even the cheapy ones are vented these days. Sweet!

O, and since I've been asking a million questions anyhow... Is there any mounts or anything to use a gps on a bike? If I go for far drives I've gotten so used to GPS it'd suck to find my way around somewhere I've never been.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
O, and since I've been asking a million questions anyhow... Is there any mounts or anything to use a gps on a bike? If I go for far drives I've gotten so used to GPS it'd suck to find my way around somewhere I've never been.

I personally wouldn't want to mount a GPS to my bike. If I got lost, I'd pull over and then take it out of my pocket to figure out where to go. Eyes always on the road!

Dragona Akehi said:
I personally wouldn't want to mount a GPS to my bike. If I got lost, I'd pull over and then take it out of my pocket to figure out where to go. Eyes always on the road!

Details! Details! :p Ya, I thought about that before but I must have forgotten. I guess having it in a backpack would be fine. I was even thinking more though that it reads to you what to do which is all I ever do, I hardly look at mine.

Flo_Evans

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Of course http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s&field-keywords=motorcycle+gps+mount&x=0&y=0

Personally I like getting lost on a motorcycle :D

The journey is the destination so to speak. If your trying to actually get somewhere though a GPS is pretty handy. It's kind of fun to track your ride too. http://connect.garmin.com/player/12941016 < track of my trip to the dragon last year. :D

Dragona Akehi said:

This is true, the less distractions you have the better. I usually just have my iphone and check it when I stop for gas. Having it mounted on the bars is nice though as long as you are not constantly looking at it.

Flo_Evans said:
Of course http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s&field-keywords=motorcycle+gps+mount&x=0&y=0

Personally I like getting lost on a motorcycle :D

The journey is the destination so to speak. If your trying to actually get somewhere though a GPS is pretty handy. It's kind of fun to track your ride too. http://connect.garmin.com/player/12941016 < track of my trip to the dragon last year. :D

This is true, the less distractions you have the better. I usually just have my iphone and check it when I stop for gas. Having it mounted on the bars is nice though as long as you are not constantly looking at it.

Ya, my year or two nuvi has been really good so far so I just wait until it tells me to turn and I've never had a problem. I just like it telling you when to turn and such.

Though it's been discussed I've left my bikes outside in all seasons and use a good cover. They have been fine. If you're worried about it getting cold (and I'm in MD, so weather not too far off from NJ) you'd have to keep it in a temperature-controlled area, anyway. Most garages get very cold. There is temperature-controlled storage if you wanted to look into it. I just wouldn't let it sit without a cover and let it get rained on etc.

thesoapster said:
Though it's been discussed I've left my bikes outside in all seasons and use a good cover. They have been fine. If you're worried about it getting cold (and I'm in MD, so weather not too far off from NJ) you'd have to keep it in a temperature-controlled area, anyway. Most garages get very cold. There is temperature-controlled storage if you wanted to look into it. I just wouldn't let it sit without a cover and let it get rained on etc.

Ya, I don't really care about getting cold. I'm just worried about water damage, rust, etc. that the weather can cause.

Though they're somewhat pricey (around $80 is what I paid), I use a Dowco Guardian cover that I've had for over two years. It's still in great shape. There are these blue/silver cheaper ones (like $20) at Wal Mart that will literally disintegrate as they are exposed to the sun/water etc. Bleh. There are a few other brands that sell covers like them, too (and are likely to be cheaper).

My bike's in a garage for the winter, but I left it out the other 3 seasons and it's alright, bikes are made to withstand the elements. I use a cover but my bike has been soaked plenty of times when it's been coverless in the parking lot at work and come out fine. I've even come out at night in late fall with frost all over the seat and it's run fine.

It's obviously not ideal, and a finicky Italian bike may not take to it as well as my Kawi. But if you're leaving it outside covered all the time, you'll probably be just fine.

garath

thesoapster said:
Though they're somewhat pricey (around $80 is what I paid), I use a Dowco Guardian cover that I've had for over two years. It's still in great shape. There are these blue/silver cheaper ones (like $20) at Wal Mart that will literally disintegrate as they are exposed to the sun/water etc. Bleh. There are a few other brands that sell covers like them, too (and are likely to be cheaper).

I have the same cover. It's lasted 4 years with no issues. Was great with the exhaust protection and venting.

Flo_Evans

264pc2s.png

:D :D :D :D

Going bike camping this weekend Should be awesome weather!

I still can't decide what I want to buy for my bike. GAF help me!

The Choices:

Luggage - I could carry more stuff. Usually though I am only going for overnight weekend trips and don't need to carry much besides a sleeping bag and a tent.

Extra fuel tank - my bike has a pretty short 100 mile range, I could just about double that with an aftermarket tank... if money and style where no question I could triple it!

Muffler - lighter weight, more power, better sound, no stupid catalytic converter. Kind of a no brainer.

Seat - the stock seat sucks! A custom seat is expensive and I would have to send in my stock one to be reworked. Should of done this over the winter

Suspension upgrades - really fucking expensive. Most people say its the best money to spend on a bike though.

Gear - Sidi just came out with some bad ass new boots aimed at the dual sport crowd. I am also probably due for a new helmet.

hmmm....

About 42F here south of Chicago so we bundled up and hit the streets for the fist ride of 2010. Up at Conrads Harley now and there are about 6-7 diehards hanging out.

Layered up so not that cold although my forehead was a bit chilled. :)

Looking forward to tomorrow when we should gain another 7 degrees.

garath

Flo_Evans said:
264pc2s.png

:D :D :D :D

Going bike camping this weekend Should be awesome weather!

I still can't decide what I want to buy for my bike. GAF help me!

The Choices:

Luggage - I could carry more stuff. Usually though I am only going for overnight weekend trips and don't need to carry much besides a sleeping bag and a tent.

Extra fuel tank - my bike has a pretty short 100 mile range, I could just about double that with an aftermarket tank... if money and style where no question I could triple it!

Muffler - lighter weight, more power, better sound, no stupid catalytic converter. Kind of a no brainer.

Seat - the stock seat sucks! A custom seat is expensive and I would have to send in my stock one to be reworked. Should of done this over the winter

Suspension upgrades - really fucking expensive. Most people say its the best money to spend on a bike though.

Gear - Sidi just came out with some bad ass new boots aimed at the dual sport crowd. I am also probably due for a new helmet.

hmmm....

For the type of riding you do, fuel tank or seat would be my choice.

Flo_Evans

garath said:
For the type of riding you do, fuel tank or seat would be my choice.

Well for most of the riding I like to do, I am standing on the pegs. :D

Pretty much only seated when cruising out to my favorite riding spots. In the twisties I am sliding around on the seat, on rough trails I am standing to help absorb terrain. Nice to have a comfy seat to rest your ass on though.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a sheepskin buttpad. http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com :lol

I guess I should add a set of bar risers to that list. Stock bars are a little low when standing.

Zyzyxxz

Anybody have one of those Ural motorcycles?

They look pretty cool for a faux Cold War era bike.

Most start around $11K with a sidecard.

UralPustinja.jpg

I am so pissed off right now.

I got my new fairing installed (as you saw in the picture) onto the front piece. I mounted the front piece on my bike. All looked well. So I went to looking into my wiring. I was routing some wires up into the empty front area (under/behind the windscreen but in front of the gauge cluster). I went to pass one wire in between the metal column/chassis piece that the mirrors tighten up against and the piece of fairing. In the picture below of my old, broken fairing it's the spot near the back/top that has an oval-shaped cutout. Each side has it as of course there are two mirrors.

So, I go to move that area up and out of the way slightly and the completely unexpected happens. It just fucking SNAPS off. The area around that mirror cutout just cleanly snapped off. Proper fairings don't do this. They have to be manufactured to actually be strong and have some small amount of flex to them. I barely touched this piece. The opposite side has no problem and bends like normal! The side that snapped just broke like it was brittle and had been improperly manufactured. So now I have another broken upper cowl. I spoke with my dealer (who ordered the part) and they are contacting Yamaha about it. There is no fucking way in hell I'm paying $300 for a piece of shit fairing that just breaks like that. I may have a chance to ride my brother's bike this weekend since the weather is going to be good. My R1 is going to be sitting for a couple more weeks at least. God fucking dammit.

edit: I guess this is mostly frustrating because I've been trying to get this fairing shit out of the way and time and weather have completely made that impossible. At least now the weather should be much better in general...

Went for a ride today on the Aprilia (bike in my avatar). Such a fun, easy bike to ride.
Though I wish I could take my R1 out...Shiver is not nearly the powerhouse that a 1000 is.

So, I'm on this nice road. As I'm coming up over a hill I see up a ways there were a couple cars pulled over at the corner of the road. I see what looked like some crosses etc at the corner. I thought they might be visiting the place where they had lost a loved one, etc. I slowed down a bit (so as to not make too much racket going by...the stock exhaust on the Shiver really is not all that quiet), but as I got closer I saw a scooter on its side and a guy laying in the road. Shit..

I stopped, but the ambulance was already on its way. The woman who hit him was just sobbing. She was on the road I was on, he (the scooter guy) was entering from one of the perpendicular roads that have stop signs. She said he didn't stop and just rode out in front of her (but of course she may have just not seen him). Still, any way it's painted it was his fault. Even if she didn't see him, and even if he did stop, he pulled out in front of a car, therefore failure to yield. Still sucks, though. What I was scratching my head about a bit was that his FF helmet flew off his head. I found the breath guard like 30 feet away from where the helmet was. There's no way in hell it was secured properly (that or it was like three sizes too big). Guy should be fine, though. He was taken to the same hospital I was I think (because they have good trauma imaging equipment). Appeared to have little or no road rash, and he was conscious.

Speaking of helmets, this was my second ride with my Shoei X-Twelve. Best helmet ever :p

JayDub

thesoapster said:
I am so pissed off right now.

I got my new fairing installed (as you saw in the picture) onto the front piece. I mounted the front piece on my bike. All looked well. So I went to looking into my wiring. I was routing some wires up into the empty front area (under/behind the windscreen but in front of the gauge cluster). I went to pass one wire in between the metal column/chassis piece that the mirrors tighten up against and the piece of fairing. In the picture below of my old, broken fairing it's the spot near the back/top that has an oval-shaped cutout. Each side has it as of course there are two mirrors.

So, I go to move that area up and out of the way slightly and the completely unexpected happens. It just fucking SNAPS off. The area around that mirror cutout just cleanly snapped off. Proper fairings don't do this. They have to be manufactured to actually be strong and have some small amount of flex to them. I barely touched this piece. The opposite side has no problem and bends like normal! The side that snapped just broke like it was brittle and had been improperly manufactured. So now I have another broken upper cowl. I spoke with my dealer (who ordered the part) and they are contacting Yamaha about it. There is no fucking way in hell I'm paying $300 for a piece of shit fairing that just breaks like that. I may have a chance to ride my brother's bike this weekend since the weather is going to be good. My R1 is going to be sitting for a couple more weeks at least. God fucking dammit.

edit: I guess this is mostly frustrating because I've been trying to get this fairing shit out of the way and time and weather have completely made that impossible. At least now the weather should be much better in general...

I see where it snapped off on the right. Sorry to hear. Ugh, what a waste.

EDIT: How old are you, btw? I always imagined you to be much older.

been away from riding the past 5 years while back at college.

But I started back in 99 on a Yamaha R6, then graduated to a Honda RC51, and ended up with a 2002 GSXR 1000 just before I went back to school and sold them all to pay for tuition.

Yesterday I picked up a 2002 Yamaha R1. It's currently getting an inspection and hopefully nothing major is going on with it and I will be carving up the canyon's this summer.

I also have a Trek road bicycle. :p good crosstraining for road racing btw...

Not as exciting as others, but I had one back in India. Indian roads are not suited to powerful/sports bikes.

Just before coming to US, drove CBZ:
hero-honda-cbz-extreme-05.jpg

And before that, Hero Honda Splendor.

Hero_Honda_Splendor_2007.jpg

I way I could weave the above bike through Traffic was amazing.

Next time I am there, I hope to take this baby for a ride:

Hero-Honda-Karizma-ZMR.jpg

There are certain advantages to owning a bike dealership :lol

daw840

Just bought my wife her first bike yesterday. I will get some pics up of her on it, but here it is. 2009 Vstar 650 Custom.

CUSTOM%20650%20BLUE.jpg

She doesn't have her MC license yet, so I get to run it through the break in period!:D

We are enrolling her in the MSF course on monday, and hopefully we can get her in by May. I hope. These things fill up super quick though.

Gritesh

So FINALLY its been above 0 out for me and I have been outside toying around with the bike in the garage starting to get it ready for the new season.

I am ordering a fairing kit from Motofans Club, and I need to install my new chain and sprockets so I have some work ahead of me, I figure I have at least another month or two before the snow really melts and all the gravel and stuff gets swept off the city roads.

Will post pictures of said fairing kit to tease all 2 wheel gafer's when it gets here. :D

Just ordered a set of D3 Grips as well.

It's going to be an awesome summer!

Top Bottom