• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Flo_Evans said:
Sometimes I think the engineers try and make it hard to do simple stuff on purpose so you have to go to the dealer.

Definitely seems like there could be some truth to that. Though, everything on the inside was laid out in a way that made me think it was optimal. Though my friend did say that his older 05 R6 is considerably easier.

kn1ves24

RdN said:
You must attract a lot of attention when riding that bike.

haha, sometimes.

I pretty much committed to buying the bike before I even saw what color it was, got a really good deal on it.

I wasn't too thrilled with color myself when I first saw it it but its kinda grown on me, so I don't mind it.

Flo_Evans said:
Don't you just love modern vehicle design/manufacturing? :lol

In the old days it was:

1.pull on plug wire
2.take out sparkplug
3.reverse

Sometimes I think the engineers try and make it hard to do simple stuff on purpose so you have to go to the dealer.

It's the exact same as cars. You look under the hood and realize if the people who worked on them designed it they would have never made them that way.
thesoapster said:
New Enough is a good company. I have dealt with them in the past and returned some leathers once. I didn't have any problems with them.

edit: And why do you care what a spine guard looks like? You'll never see the damn thing. (especially since they are both built to the same armor spec/rating)

2nd edit: Don't let looks play into your safety judgment too much. Dainese uses impressive materials much of the time in their gloves, but I've heard enough reports of the stitching failing in a single get off to make me stay away. Held gloves, for example, have been reported to be crashed in multiple times and still be good to use. I had my accident with my less protective Spidi Race Vent gloves on. They did well. Scraped up some of the carbon fiber knuckle armor, but otherwise they're fine. Actually wore them today as one of my Pentas is having a...shall we say...wardrobe malfunction (stitching.....)

You completely misunderstood what I said. I didn't mean looks as in fashionable but from look alone the dainese spine guard looks more protective since it's not just a foam pad but an aluminum casing with foam inside so for the same price it looks like a better alternative if they both fit.

I wound up ordering my helmet which was shark evoline and a scorpion stinger jacket since it was on clearance and I've read nothing but extremely good reviews for the jacket.

http://newenough.com/street/protect...orpion/stinger_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html
That's the jacket for those interested.

Question for those of you who have bought bikes new from the dealer before: I've been looking at an '09 Honda 750 Aero that they have for a little under $7000. On top of that though they have fees for "set up" and "freight". Is it customary as it is with buying cars here to be able to talk dealers out of charging those fees or lowering the sales price?

Dahellisdat said:
Question for those of you who have bought bikes new from the dealer before: I've been looking at an '09 Honda 750 Aero that they have for a little under $7000. On top of that though they have fees for "set up" and "freight". Is it customary as it is with buying cars here to be able to talk dealers out of charging those fees or lowering the sales price?

Depends on dealer/time you're buying/model. It's kind of like cars, if it's the middle of the summer when there business is high and it's a well selling bike you'll probably be hard pressed but you may have a shot if you do it more in off season or a crappier dealer. It also depends on how close their price is to msrp. The one place I looked at wouldn't but he was almost a grand under the msrp of the bike so I couldn't really complain.

Edit: I didn't buy new but I was looking at new a lot before I bought mine used. Others may have more in depth knowledge though.

Flo_Evans

Dahellisdat said:

1st of all, don't buy a new bike as your first ride. 2nd, yes you can haggle quite abit. esp if it's an older model that has been sitting for a year on the showfloor. But you can haggle much more on a used bike.

Some dealers don't like to lower the sticker price but will thrown in gear/service. What dealer are you looking at?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
...You completely misunderstood what I said...

I wound up ordering my helmet which was shark evoline and a scorpion stinger jacket since it was on clearance and I've read nothing but extremely good reviews for the jacket.

http://newenough.com/street/protect...orpion/stinger_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html
That's the jacket for those interested.

If the armor is CE rated for both I really can't tell. It helps to hold the protector in your hand, too. My spine guard has a foam on the front (the part that is against my back) and a special plastic-like backing.

The jacket looks good :)

Flo_Evans said:
1st of all, don't buy a new bike as your first ride. 2nd, yes you can haggle quite abit. esp if it's an older model that has been sitting for a year on the showfloor. But you can haggle much more on a used bike.

Some dealers don't like to lower the sticker price but will thrown in gear/service. What dealer are you looking at?
I was up at Donelson Cycles. I'm not sure where to go about looking at used bikes besides craigslist. I don't have enough $$ to pay for a bike in cash to somebody who listed something on craigslist, so I was trying to go through the dealer since they had some good rates on financing right now.

I've really only looked there and Dave Mungenast in south county. Do you know of anywhere else that would be a good place to look at used bikes around here?

Flo_Evans said:
My cop buddy has his track bike all prepped for the season.

25p0gso.jpg

:D

I want to ride it... think they would give me a ticket on the road? :lol

Sweet! Love the 'police' sticker :lol .

Went for a ride with my dad today, myself on the 998, dad on the YZF 750. Oh man, totally awesome, it's so much better to drive around with someone else. Especially someone who loves to bend the rules a little.

I was on the 998 and straining to keep up :lol.

Flo_Evans

Dahellisdat said:
I was up at Donelson Cycles. I'm not sure where to go about looking at used bikes besides craigslist. I don't have enough $$ to pay for a bike in cash to somebody who listed something on craigslist, so I was trying to go through the dealer since they had some good rates on financing right now.

Well if you can get a really good rate new might make sense. I would avoid craigslist unless you know what you are looking for mechanically. You can always get a loan from your bank and buy a bike from a private seller though. I was talking more about the dealers trade in stock. Allot of people buy bikes, let them sit for a year, buy all kinds of exhausts and accessories then trade them in.

Donelson is okay, I've never bought a bike there but I had them service my duc a few times. Sales people where kind of "meh" to me but they get allot of yahoos in there that want to test ride and crash bikes.

Check out www.gatewaybmw.com I suppose it helps that I am good friends with the owner but they have always treated me right there. :D

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/sea...Used/Type-Motorcycle/Make-All/Sort-Year:DESC/

Cycletrader is great, most St. Louis dealers list their used stock on there.

Flo_Evans said:
Well if you can get a really good rate new might make sense. I would avoid craigslist unless you know what you are looking for mechanically. You can always get a loan from your bank and buy a bike from a private seller though. I was talking more about the dealers trade in stock. Allot of people buy bikes, let them sit for a year, buy all kinds of exhausts and accessories then trade them in.

Donelson is okay, I've never bought a bike there but I had them service my duc a few times. Sales people where kind of "meh" to me but they get allot of yahoos in there that want to test ride and crash bikes.

Check out www.gatewaybmw.com I suppose it helps that I am good friends with the owner but they have always treated me right there. :D

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/sea...Used/Type-Motorcycle/Make-All/Sort-Year:DESC/

Cycletrader is great, most St. Louis dealers list their used stock on there.
Awesome....thanks for the help! I'll check it out.

And the promotional rate they had going for new bikes at Donelson was 1.99% APR for 36 months. It sounded good to me, but alas...I lack the experience.

thesoapster said:
If the armor is CE rated for both I really can't tell. It helps to hold the protector in your hand, too. My spine guard has a foam on the front (the part that is against my back) and a special plastic-like backing.

The jacket looks good :)

How important is a ce rated back protector? Apparently on that jacket everything is ce except the back which is just a relatively thick foam pad. I'm not sure what will fit in the back since scorpion doesn't seem to make a ce back pad to replace the foam. Is it really important to switch it with ce? Thanks. :D

I've got everything but boots and gloves decided on. I can't decide between:
Dainese Full Metal
Held Pole Position
I was picking held but the dainese are on sale again so I'm torn.

And for boots:
Sidi Vertigo Boots
Sidi Vortice Boots
I keep looking at them but I still don't understand the difference to see whether if vortice are worth the extra money.

Flo_Evans

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
How important is a ce rated back protector? Apparently on that jacket everything is ce except the back which is just a relatively thick foam pad. I'm not sure what will fit in the back since scorpion doesn't seem to make a ce back pad to replace the foam. Is it really important to switch it with ce? Thanks. :D

Dainese Full Metal
Held Pole Position

And for boots:
Sidi Vertigo Boots
Sidi Vortice Boots
I keep looking at them but I still don't understand the difference to see whether if vortice are worth the extra money.

From the looks/description the vortice seem to be much stiffer/tougher. I would consider what kind of riding you are going to do. Also do you plan on walking around in them?

Boots and gloves are kind of difficult to buy online, I would want to try them on first to make sure they fit properly and are comfortable.

I would also think about going a little cheaper and getting 2 sets of gloves. Those both look like they provide awesome protection but a lightweight vented glove is nice to have too.

Just some more stuff to confuse you. :lol Try not to think of gear as a one time purchase, stuff will wear out, you will want other gloves/boots/jackets for different conditions and riding styles.

garath

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Dainese Full Metal
Held Pole Position

And for boots:
Sidi Vertigo Boots
Sidi Vortice Boots

For the gloves, I trust held implicitly. I've had the same held full gauntlet gloves for 4 years now and they have held up (pun intended) very very well. The brand is one of the best if not THE best in gloves. Dainese is new to gloves but those do look like serious gloves. My jacket and pants are Dainese and they are excellent so really you could probably flip a coin on the gloves (though I'd go for Held personally)

For the boots, I love Sidi. Great choice on that. For the model I can safely say Vertigo. The extra features of the Vortice are great if you are racing, but for daily and trackday use the Vertigo are still phenomenal boots. You will not sacrifice protection. I have the vertigo myself. The vortice are nice with the strap over the top of the foot to hold it even more snug (I have thin feet) but with it they turn into boots that are a pain in the ass to take off and put on. The vertigo are fairly easy to slide you foot in, zip up and velcro up. The vortice are not quick on and off.

Something to note, neither are walking boots. You can walk around in them just fine but do not expect to be comfortable going to the store and go shopping in the boots.

In summary: Held and Vertigo would be my choices. The money saved can go toward a better jacket or a nice pair of riding overpants for commuting.

Karud

I own the Sidi Vertigo, which are pretty solid boots so far. No complaints from my side.

Last week I ordered some Dainese Gloves (Joust), I will get them next week and can keep you informed about the comfort and the quality (only tried them out in the store).

A friend of mine would go for the Held Phantom gloves, afaik.

Flo_Evans

Welp, I got a speeding ticket. My tail light was out (actually thankfull to know that) she claims I was doing 54 in a 40! Pretty unimpressive...

Let see if the wife can work her magic. :D

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Dainese Full Metal
Held Pole Position

And for boots:
Sidi Vertigo Boots
Sidi Vortice Boots

Honestly from reports I've read I'd feel safer with the Held, but it's your call. Both will probably do just fine. As for the armor, I wouldn't worry about trying to find a back protector to fit in the jacket. If you want a CE spine guard you should opt for a harness-style one. One of the guys I've ridden with (one of the best riders I've ridden with, actually) had a jacket without a spine guard, so he just wore a back harness that had full coverage back armor. Those types offer more protection than just one that goes into a sleeve, but they can be a bit cumbersome. The protectors are offered in all sizes, so you could probably find one that fits you, and because it's a standalone piece you could buy whatever brand you want. That said, you're probably going to be OK as is...just know foam padding is generally not an equivalent to CE rated armor. My right shoulder had to learn that the hard way. I didn't know my Scarface Wind jacket lacked CE armor :-/ (shows how carefully I researched that...). I believe if I had had thicker, more full coverage CE shoulder armor I may have lessened or prevented my shoulder injury.

I own the Vortice and Vertigo boots. They're both good. The Vortice have better protection and are a more solid boot. They are a bigger pain in the ass by a long shot to get on and off (not too bad overall, though). I don't mind walking around in them, but beware...you must keep the joints lubricated or they will squeak like a mofo and everyone will hear you walking towards them :lol

Flo_Evans said:
Welp, I got a speeding ticket. My tail light was out (actually thankfull to know that) she claims I was doing 54 in a 40! Pretty unimpressive...

Let see if the wife can work her magic. :D

Is your wife associated with the law? 54 in a 40? That's fucking criminal...
to pull you over for.

Today I took the GoPro HD Hero out for its first real run. I'm going to see if I can edit something together and throw it up on the 'net...definitely need to spend time editing. It was one of the craziest, fastest rides I've been on in a long, long time.

Flo_Evans

thesoapster said:
Is your wife associated with the law? 54 in a 40? That's fucking criminal...
to pull you over for.

Lets just say she has access to certain computer systems that contain certain information that can be easily deleted. It was not in her municipality but our joke of a legal system is based on favors...

This is actually the first speeding ticket I have gotten on my bike. I've been stopped before but always let off with a warning "take is easy". I fixed the rear light (broken fuse) while stopped so she didn't even cite me for that. Need to figure out what is causing that though, don't want to be zipping around (or stopped at a light) without a rear light!

My Shark evoline helmet came in and man is it a nice helmet. I am very impressed, I can't wait to take it on the road. Props to Dragona for the good pick of brand, really nice stuff they make.

I need help with my bike, it's leaking gas though the gas cap. It's coming up through the keyhole. Where the keyhole is there is a little flap with a gasket that should seal around the keyhole but that gasket is dried out and no longer creates a good seal. Does anyone know what that thing would be called or a fix for it? I don't really want to spend $80 to get a new cap and then also have to change the lock myself since it's just a little piece... Anyone have any suggestions? I called kawasaki and all they have is a gas cap w/o lock, the lock itself, and the gasket between the tank and the gap. :/

I have a 94 ninja 250 if it helps at all.

ChanHuk

Banned
Dahellisdat said:

I bought both my bikes new (I regret not buying used for my 1st) and never had to pay a setup or freight fee. The freight charge I believe is already included in the MSRP of the bike much like how you have a delivery charge on new cars.

daw840

Looking for some advice regarding a jacket for my wife. We are looking at these and I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with these brands, or jackets.

FirstGear
This one is the most expensive out of the ones we have been looking at, but it seems to be the nicest. Those two facts are probably related.:lol

Joe Rocket
This is the middle of the road price wise, but it does require a back protector to be bought seperately. Still doesn't bring it up to the FirstGear price, but close.

Xelement
Here is the cheap one, not sure about this one. A jacket this cheap just bothers me on some level I guess.

I have a Joe Rocket jacket and it's pretty nice I'd say. Though I have read differing views on the brand's quality. I think some of their stuff is higher quality than their lower priced products perhaps, as if their construction quality is inconsistent. That FirstGear jacket does look nice, but I'm not sure what an EVA foam back pad actually is or how much protection it actually gives.

Have you looked at TourMaster at all? Are you mostly trying to stay away from "sport" jackets and more towards touring? No crazy colors allowed? :p

thesoapster said:
I have a Joe Rocket jacket and it's pretty nice I'd say. Though I have read differing views on the brand's quality. I think some of their stuff is higher quality than their lower priced products perhaps, as if their construction quality is inconsistent. That FirstGear jacket does look nice, but I'm not sure what an EVA foam back pad actually is or how much protection it actually gives.

Have you looked at TourMaster at all? Are you mostly trying to stay away from "sport" jackets and more towards touring? No crazy colors allowed? :p

Ya, from everything I've seen regarding joe rocket is price impacts their quality a lot. Some stuff is really nice and others is pretty meh. That seemed to be the feel from the reviews at least when I was researching jackets.

daw840

thesoapster said:

Well, it's for my wife. She really just wants a black touring jacket, nothing crazy. I have a blue SHIFT armored jacket that is more sport oriented.

Anyways, she found a FirstGear Jacket that is just like that one above, except it was a couple years old model (still "new" though, never worn) for like 195 so she bought that. A hell of a lot better than 450 though, LOL. Will post impressions when we get it.

DON'T order from revzilla, that place is shit. My gloves said ship same day and now it will take at least 2 weeks to receive them they said. What a bunch of fuckups. Awful site.

daw840

Dahellisdat said:
MSF class starts tonight, then next weekend we do the outdoor part of the course. Almost there.

Awesome, have fun. Don't become that guy in your avatar. ;)

My wife goes to her classroom portion today, and the outdoor portion tomorrow and sunday.:D

I want to buy either a Suzuki GS500F or Kawasaki Ninja 500r from a dealer as my first bike. Where/how can I find out the list price? I live near Portsmouth, NH if that factors in at all.

Neodiablo22 said:
I want to buy either a Suzuki GS500F or Kawasaki Ninja 500r from a dealer as my first bike. Where/how can I find out the list price? I live near Portsmouth, NH if that factors in at all.

If you just want the msrp you can go to kawasaki's and suzuki's website. The ninja 500r is discontinued so depending on the dealers around you they may not have any but all the ones by me still had some a month or two ago. If you want actually dealer prices, you'll have to call the dealer and see if they'll give you anything off. Don't forget you have to pay transportation fees and all that shit as well as sales tax which boosts up the price.

With that being said there's no reason to buy a new bike as your first bike. Get a nice used bike. You shouldn't be afraid to lay your brandy new bike down if something happens and you may start trying to save the bike instead of saving yourself when you mess up while riding. It's cheaper and it just makes you worry a whole lot less about damaging it. They're all beginner's bikes and hold value pretty well so that shouldn't be a concern either. Don't be afraid to get a 250 instead of a 500 either. The ninja 250 has a lot of pep and tops out at around 105mph iirc. The best thing to do is to try them out before buying obviously. Also, sign up for the safety course if you haven't already taken them.

I think I may end up taking the "get a used bike as your 1st" advice. I luckily found one at a dealer that has all of the factors I was looking for finally. If all goes well, I could have my first bike by the end of the week. '01 Honda Shadow ACE.

Question: About how many miles is the average motorcycle's lifespan? If I'm looking to get a used bike, about how many miles would be reasonable for me to even consider it? The one that I'm looking at is an '01 Honda Shadow 750 that has around 10,000.

daw840

Dahellisdat said:
Question: About how many miles is the average motorcycle's lifespan? If I'm looking to get a used bike, about how many miles would be reasonable for me to even consider it? The one that I'm looking at is an '01 Honda Shadow 750 that has around 10,000.

Mileage varies so wildly on motorcycles just depending on how often its used and how it's maintained. I would look at age before miles personally.

daw840 said:
Mileage varies so wildly on motorcycles just depending on how often its used and how it's maintained. I would look at age before miles personally.
Right on.....do you have any comment on a 9 year old midsize cruiser like the one i mentioned above? I wish I knew more people that I could take with me to consult on this type of thing.

daw840

Dahellisdat said:
Right on.....do you have any comment on a 9 year old midsize cruiser like the one i mentioned above? I wish I knew more people that I could take with me to consult on this type of thing.

Honda's are usually really reliable bikes. I have an 84 Nighthawk 700 with 55,000 miles. While it has it's problems (electrical, ugh) it still runs fine. Do you know anything about how it's been maintained? That's a big deal. Stored outside? How long since it's been ridden. It's probably sat somewhere for an extended period of time, find out when it was just sitting. That can make seals and gaskets start to leak.

thesoapster said:
Right on! Quick question...is your front turn signal crooked in that picture?
Those were replaced by the original owner who dropped the bike. I'm getting some flush mounts as soon as I get some more money to play around with.

Dahellisdat said:
Just finished day 1 of MSF course. Having a blast. I'm so pumped up to finally get a bike.

Sweet! The in class stuff is important, but the fun truly begins on the course.

doitlive said:
Those were replaced by the original owner who dropped the bike. I'm getting some flush mounts as soon as I get some more money to play around with.

Ahh cool. Be sure to post up pictures after you've modded it :D

kylej

Banned
Neodiablo22 said:

Why new? You could get a really nice 500F or EX500 for dirt cheap on Craigslist.

Finally sold the little Ninja. Sad to see her go but I'm on to bigger and better things very soon :D

JayDub

Hey Soapster,

You seem to know a shit ton bout gear, know of any good sites that review them? Been getting my stuff based on word of mouth.:D

doitlive said:
072.jpg

Me and my bike.
goddam, it feels good to ride.
:D

I know many will disagree, but I think the pre-09 250 redesign is quite a looker. There's something about it I just love.

I saw an all gray (not silver) and it looks AMAZING. Almost as good as any bike in White!

Anyways, congrats, and be safe!

Ashhong

JayDub said:
Hey Soapster,

You seem to know a shit ton bout gear, know of any good sites that review them? Been getting my stuff based on word of mouth.:D

I know many will disagree, but I think the pre-09 250 redesign is quite a looker. There's something about it I just love.

I saw an all gray (not silver) and it looks AMAZING. Almost as good as any bike in White!

Anyways, congrats, and be safe!

are you saying its a better looker than the post-08 250?

Top Bottom