• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

JayDub said:
Suhweeeet, thanks!

You really should see it with all the crap decals off. But Im the type to hate decals on any bike (except for the name/brand). It looks pretty good in white, too.

sportbiketrackgear is by far the best imo but other sites that you can buy from do decent reviews too. Revzilla does reviews and there's another site I can't think of... Sportbiketrackgear is more informative in my opinion since he seems to use the stuff and isn't just regurgitating company propaganda although it can cause bias obviously but I like it.

daw840

Ugh, first big ride with my wife today and it went great. All the way up until the end. I took her out on some country roads, nothing too crazy, just to get away from all of the traffic. Most of the roads here, Kansas, are straight and 45 MPH so we were doing great. Rode for about 2 hours and as we were heading back home I decided to take a route that I have never gone on before. Well, we crested a hill, only going maybe25-30 MPH and the road turns into a wicked, downhill, cratered, sandy and gravelly nightmare. I almost went down and I looked into my rearview and saw my wife just eat it onto the pavement. She wasn't going to fast, only maybe 20 MPH, but it scraped up her knee pretty bad. She was wearing all the PPE except for the pants, just jeans on. They did nothing to help the abrasion. She was fine everywhere but on her left knee. The bike faired OK, its going to need new left grips, mirror, clutch lever, shifter lever, peg, peg bracket, plastic cover for the engine, and a kickstand. I ended up riding it home and had to actually put my heel on the shifter lever and pull back every time I shifted since it was so bent up. Her gear held up beautifully, she barely scraped the chin portion of her helmet and the new First Gear leather Jacket worked flawlessly. Not even scuffed up, it was dirty as hell, but perfectly fine and will still see a lot of use in the future. So, there is my impression/review of the jacket we were discussing earlier in the thread. Her arms are a little sore from the impact, but not scraped at all.

JayDub said:
Hey Soapster,

You seem to know a shit ton bout gear, know of any good sites that review them? Been getting my stuff based on word of mouth.:D

As posted, I've linked the STG reviews a good bit. The gear they carry tends to be high quality.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/ Seems to have quite a few helmet reviews, too.

edit: Glad to hear it wasn't too horrible, daw.

Finished the MSF course on Sunday, so I went to go get the M on my license yesterday. I passed the written test and went to go get my new ID and there was a fucking block on my renewal from the state of Iowa. Apparently it stems from a ticket that I got for using a fake ID 7 years ago in my first year of college, which I paid in full right when I got it. Apparently the state of Iowa suspended my drivers license without notifying me and I have to pay them $50 to get it reinstated before I can get my new license. I even got my regular DL renewed about 6 months ago and didn't have a problem at all. I guess theres some kind of national registry that connects everything now.

I suppose I can wait a few more days....

Dahellisdat said:
Finished the MSF course on Sunday, so I went to go get the M on my license yesterday. I passed the written test and went to go get my new ID and there was a fucking block on my renewal from the state of Iowa. Apparently it stems from a ticket that I got for using a fake ID 7 years ago in my first year of college, which I paid in full right when I got it. Apparently the state of Iowa suspended my drivers license without notifying me and I have to pay them $50 to get it reinstated before I can get my new license. I even got my regular DL renewed about 6 months ago and didn't have a problem at all. I guess theres some kind of national registry that connects everything now.

:lol

Dahellisdat said:

Tourettes-Guy-Yelling-1.jpg

AH SHIT

daw840

Update on the wreck.

Apparently Geico is saying that we are not at fault because of the pothole! Sweet, no insurance rate hike!

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
My Shark evoline helmet came in and man is it a nice helmet. I am very impressed, I can't wait to take it on the road. Props to Dragona for the good pick of brand, really nice stuff they make.

truth :> i got my evoline today, didnt get to give it a big test run but from what little i did, im happy with my purchase, also love the paint job (i got series 2 wayer, black)

Dahellisdat said:
My DL is now proudly sporting the big "M".
Step 2 = find a bike.

Assuming you are brand new to motorcycling (sans MSF) there are a number of routes to take.

The Kawasaki Ninja 250R is a great starter bike with a great resale value. It's a 250cc two cylinder. The EX500/Ninja 500R can also be a good starter bike, and that is a 500cc parallel twin (twin meaning two cylinders...but you probably know this).

Since you have taken the MSF, I'd say you could also look at 600cc inline fours (generally more sport-oriented machines) and 650 twins. This is the maximum engine size I'd ever recommend to anyone who is starting (and only after they have taken the MSF course). The reason it's the max I'd recommend is because you will likely have a bit of a harder time starting out on these bikes because your body/mind will be busy getting acclimated to the new experience of riding a motorcycle. When I started out 3rd gear roll-ons seemed powerful to me on my CBR600RR. If I were to go back to that bike I'd have to crack it wide open in first to bat an eye. It's a matter of perspective/experience, and it's generally easier to start smaller - you will probably grow faster as a rider because you won't be quite as intimated by the motorcycle's power. In a way I wish I had started on a 500cc twin. I may have only "graduated" to a middleweight by now, but I may be a better rider for it. I don't know (and I suppose I never will).

thesoapster said:
Since you have taken the MSF, I'd say you could also look at 600cc inline fours (generally more sport-oriented machines) and 650 twins.
I'm planning on going the cruiser route rather than a sport bike. All of the ones I've been looking at are between 500cc and 750cc. The tough part now is to find a used bike that fits that criteria from a source that is reliable enough that I don't have to worry that there would be something wrong with the bike. I was wanting to try and find a used one at a dealer, but all of the ones aorund where I live have a very limited stock of used bikes.

Dahellisdat said:
I'm planning on going the cruiser route rather than a sport bike. All of the ones I've been looking at are between 500cc and 750cc. The tough part now is to find a used bike that fits that criteria from a source that is reliable enough that I don't have to worry that there would be something wrong with the bike. I was wanting to try and find a used one at a dealer, but all of the ones aorund where I live have a very limited stock of used bikes.

Ahh, OK. You could always look around Craigslist. There are a lot of good deals that can be found there. Do you have any friends that ride who could look at a bike with you and check it out?

kylej

Banned
Oooh I'm so excited. Bought a 2nd gen SV650S a couple hours ago. Has a full ART exhaust, custom tuned Power Commander 3, fresh oil/chain/sprockets/tires, new frame sliders and its never been dumped. I could eat off this bike. It's beautiful. When the guy I bought it from opened up the throttle I almost peed myself. Love that v-twin sound. Pics coming tomorrow when I pick it up.

kylej said:
Oooh I'm so excited. Bought a 2nd gen SV650S a couple hours ago. Has a full ART exhaust, custom tuned Power Commander 3, fresh oil/chain/sprockets/tires, new frame sliders and its never been dumped. I could eat off this bike. It's beautiful. When the guy I bought it from opened up the throttle I almost peed myself. Love that v-twin sound. Pics coming tomorrow when I pick it up.

:lol sweet. Show it off to us :)

Hey, what do you guys think of Honda's new sport/sport-tourer VFR1200?

ev44ll.jpg

15p4y6p.jpg

Personally I think it looks jaw-dropping, but there are a lot of comments out there from people saying it's ugly or reviews saying the design is "polarizing."

Honda's billing it as a sports bike, but it really is a do-it-all. What sold me on it was this video of this French dude driving it from Paris to Dakar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stu45JW42W4

Looks like a cool trip, I'd like to take it some day.

I got to drive to work on my bike for the first time. I'm starting to feel less awkward on it making it a lot more enjoyable to ride. 2 more weeks until MSF.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I got to drive to work on my bike for the first time. I'm starting to feel less awkward on it making it a lot more enjoyable to ride. 2 more weeks until MSF.

If your training course is anything like mine, the fact that you can ride a bike at road speeds and handle gear shifting will put you ahead of most of the people there. The test is all about low speed maneuvering and simple gear changes. If you can handle turning the bike okay you'll probably pass with flying colours.

LiveFromKyoto said:
If your training course is anything like mine, the fact that you can ride a bike at road speeds and handle gear shifting will put you ahead of most of the people there. The test is all about low speed maneuvering and simple gear changes. If you can handle turning the bike okay you'll probably pass with flying colours.

Ya, I figured as much but hopefully I'll still pick up a thing or do. I want to practice cones again this weekend coming up.

daw840

Yesterday was a crazy fucking ride. My buddy bought a 2008 Harley Davidson Fat Bob, which BTW is pretty fucking sweet even though I don't really like Harleys all that much, and we decided to go on a little cruise up north to his dads house and show him the new bike. Well, as we are going up there there are a few sprinkles goin on but nothing too crazy, and it looks clear as hell to the west, soooo we figured we'd be fine and the little bit of weather would move on and the ride home would be fine. It's about a 45 minute ride to North KC from where we live. We get there and it starts raining harder, so we decide to just go get some lunch and hope the rain stops. It didn't....so we just sacked up and left in the rain. My god riding in the rain sucks. We were soaked to the bone by the time we got home.

The one thing that bothered me is that my bike seemed to run terrible in the rain. Anyone else ever have this problem? It was like it had NO power whatsoever, it wouldn't hardly accelerate even when downshifting. When I got home and got off the bike to open the garage door I saw a flame shoot out the tailpipe and it backfired. Never done that before! Then I jumped on it today, sans rain, and it runs just fine. No problems at all, well no new problems I should say, it is a 25 year old bike.:lol

LiveFromKyoto said:
Hey, what do you guys think of Honda's new sport/sport-tourer VFR1200?

Don't like the way it looks at all. Too heavy IMO as well. I think the new Multistrada is far more tempting.

daw840 said:

Yeah, I've been caught once in the rain before when I had my CBR. Absolutely crazy rain (huge drops and all). Was so damned wet.

Scarecrow

daw840 said:
Yesterday was a crazy fucking ride. My buddy bought a 2008 Harley Davidson Fat Bob, which BTW is pretty fucking sweet even though I don't really like Harleys all that much, and we decided to go on a little cruise up north to his dads house and show him the new bike. Well, as we are going up there there are a few sprinkles goin on but nothing too crazy, and it looks clear as hell to the west, soooo we figured we'd be fine and the little bit of weather would move on and the ride home would be fine. It's about a 45 minute ride to North KC from where we live. We get there and it starts raining harder, so we decide to just go get some lunch and hope the rain stops. It didn't....so we just sacked up and left in the rain. My god riding in the rain sucks. We were soaked to the bone by the time we got home.

The one thing that bothered me is that my bike seemed to run terrible in the rain. Anyone else ever have this problem? It was like it had NO power whatsoever, it wouldn't hardly accelerate even when downshifting. When I got home and got off the bike to open the garage door I saw a flame shoot out the tailpipe and it backfired. Never done that before! Then I jumped on it today, sans rain, and it runs just fine. No problems at all, well no new problems I should say, it is a 25 year old bike.:lol

I just got caught in a massive storm on the way home tonight from work (in Tampa). There's a reason they call this the lightning capital of the world. I'm not exaggerating when I say that not even a second went by before another huge bolt cracked the night. It was a constant techno club in the sky. I might not even have needed my headlights, it was so constant and bright. It was an amazing sight to behold.

I've said it before, but when you accept that you're going to get wet, driving in the rain isn't so bad. It's like a water park without any safety precautions. My Doc Martins were filled with water. My leather jacket did a remarkable job of keeping my torso mostly dry. I'm glad I was able to get more experience driving in hard rain. This is probably the third or fourth journey into such a storm.

Scarecrow said:
I just got caught in a massive storm on the way home tonight from work (in Tampa). There's a reason they call this the lightning capital of the world. I'm not exaggerating when I say that not even a second went by before another huge bolt cracked the night. It was a constant techno club in the sky. I might not even have needed my headlights, it was so constant and bright. It was an amazing sight to behold.

I've said it before, but when you accept that you're going to get wet, driving in the rain isn't so bad. It's like a water park without any safety precautions. My Doc Martins were filled with water. My leather jacket did a remarkable job of keeping my torso mostly dry. I'm glad I was able to get more experience driving in hard rain. This is probably the third or fourth journey into such a storm.

How big of a difference is there with your bike gripping the road? That's the only thing that scares me about riding in the rain.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Only been caught in the rain once, but I pretty much looked like I had jumped into a swimming pool. And as for traction..there was none. You're essentially driving on oil and water. No fun, but like Scarecrow said, I'm glad to of had that experience. Reminds me to not let it happen again. :lol

Scarecrow

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
How big of a difference is there with your bike gripping the road? That's the only thing that scares me about riding in the rain.
Well, I'd like to say first that I'm still a new rider, starting only around late 08. I couldn't tell any difference in regards to traction, but I took a longer way home to avoid 1. the interstate and 2. a curvier, tree filled, broken asphalt road. This third way home was pretty straight, so I didn't have to turn much. I was nervous at first, running into a few deeeep puddles right at the start of my trip.

kylej

Banned
IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

woo woo. I recorded an exhaust clip but it didn't come out well. When I get my plates on I'll drive to a secluded area and open her up.

thesoapster said:
Don't like the way it looks at all. Too heavy IMO as well.

It's really not though. In reality its a sport tourer, the hardbag brackets come standard:

2vi402f.jpg

So its real comparison is to the Concours & K1300GT, which have dry weights of 647 & 634 lbs. respectively. By comparison, the VFR is only 590 wet. The Concours probably still rates as a better bike, but I'm curious to see what Honda does with a couple of seasons of smoothing out the rough edges.

I think the new Multistrada is far more tempting.

See, that's a bike whose look does nothing for me. It's also more expensive and likely nowhere near as reliable, which would be a concern for me in a tourer. The dash is a bit ridiculous too, with all these tiny buttons you can't press in gloves or see while the bike is moving. Still, it's a Duc so it's got the cool factor. But between the two I'd probably go for the Honda personally.

kylej said:

Nice! Half fairings are slick.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Bad_Boy said:
Only been caught in the rain once, but I pretty much looked like I had jumped into a swimming pool. And as for traction..there was none. You're essentially driving on oil and water. No fun, but like Scarecrow said, I'm glad to of had that experience. Reminds me to not let it happen again. :lol
I never ride right after a shower if it hasn't rained in a while, as the road is slippery as hell. Most days I'll ride home from work even if it's pouring - I'm just far more careful and more wary of other people on the road and I go around corners like a grandma :lol Still, I can see the difference from when I first went out on the roads on my scoot (a 250cc Derbi GP1i - about a year ago) - my confidence in wet weather and in my own limits is far better.

Going to look at a bike after work today. Its a 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 500. Seems like a good beginners bike and its about half as expensive as a lot of the new ones I was looking at.

JayDub

Jeez, I need to check up on this thread more often.

Kenpachi and Soaps, thanks for the sites. I'm too lazy to look for them myself, so more kudos for not giving me the "google it" answer. :lol

Daw,

First, glad she's ok.

Hows your wife holding? After the drop was she a bit shaken to ride back home? Does she seem hesitant to hop again?

daw840

JayDub said:
Jeez, I need to check up on this thread more often.

Kenpachi and Soaps, thanks for the sites. I'm too lazy to look for them myself, so more kudos for not giving me the "google it" answer. :lol

Daw,

First, glad she's ok.

Hows your wife holding? After the drop was she a bit shaken to ride back home? Does she seem hesitant to hop again?

I had a buddy of mine drive up and ride my bike home, and I rode the banged up VStar home. The shifter was twisted up really bad and it was quite comical watching me try to shift with heel. She can't fucking wait for her bike to be out of the shop and ride again, hasn't deterred her at all. She's an ER nurse though, so a little banged up aint gonna keep her down.

LiveFromKyoto said:
See, that's a bike whose look does nothing for me. It's also more expensive and likely nowhere near as reliable, which would be a concern for me in a tourer. The dash is a bit ridiculous too, with all these tiny buttons you can't press in gloves or see while the bike is moving. Still, it's a Duc so it's got the cool factor. But between the two I'd probably go for the Honda personally.

The Multistrada starts a grand cheaper than the VFR. I like the new design a lot more than the old Multistrada, which looked like complete ass.

As for the dash...do you mean all the little indicator lights by the display? Don't think those are buttons...

daw840

thesoapster said:
The Multistrada starts a grand cheaper than the VFR. I like the new design a lot more than the old Multistrada, which looked like complete ass.

As for the dash...do you mean all the little indicator lights by the display? Don't think those are buttons...

My next bike will be a brand new Concours, that thing is sickeningly sweet.

daw840 said:
My next bike will be a brand new Concours, that thing is sickeningly sweet.

Yeah, pretty cool big sport tourer. Hauls ass, I bet, with that re-tuned ZX-14 engine.

I think I'd go easier on the VFR if it wasn't so damned pricey and if I didn't think it was uggo. But whatev, to each his own. Some think it's gorgeous.

I just put a downpayment on a used 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500. Going to pick it up after work in a few hours. I'll post a couple pictures once i get 'er to her new home.

Dahellisdat said:
I just put a downpayment on a used 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500. Going to pick it up after work in a few hours. I'll post a couple pictures once i get 'er to her new home.

Congrats!

All this talk of people picking up their first bike reminded me of the time I first got mine. I had no fucking clue what I was doing gear-wise, as in this picture I have my FF helmet (check), steel toe boots (hmm...), hoodie (lolz), textile gloves with minimal protection (eep), and regular jeans (boo). But, that is me before my first official (legal) ride. Before it was registered I had ridden it a little around the neighborhood and also up to the inspection station (all without a plate...backroads only...yikes).

4561327879_f51d71a104.jpg

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
i just saw my clutch cable is tearing/shredding. :( :( :(
good thing im still under warranty, taking it in this tuesday.

thesoapster said:
Yeah...

12.5 miles and no pedals? I think I'd rather just be on a bicycle :x

Eh, that's more off a moped type thing. Even though I didn't say it I mean more the electric bikes they're making like the enertia and such.

Flo_Evans

2010 Missouri swinging bridges ride

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574964 < more pics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHLHI9bAPvI < some video I shot. Didn't have the good helmet cam so it's not the best but will give you some idea. :D

30598_1427731531262_1172033220_1223336_3166031_n.jpg

Bought a new Helmet for the ride!

30598_1427714130827_1172033220_1223312_6987901_n.jpg

Route - over 600 miles of dirt/gravel/road = one bad ass 2 day dual sport ride.

Day 1

ne7sev.jpg

nd26hg.jpg

30598_1427733011299_1172033220_1223367_5526213_n.jpg

Scratched the new helmet ;_;

24n0lk1.jpg

img_0373.resized.jpg

Same spot as the sticker pic taken by the guy who dropped his bike there last year, I guess he had the camera ready... :lol

14len9.jpg

Cave of tears. Lost my mirror getting up here!

33b0f3r.jpg

Hope they don't charge me an extra cleaning fee...

72g0wk.jpg

2vcztpj.jpg

2e5uv6r.jpg

1115gle.jpg

Flo_Evans

2d193yv.jpg

Beautiful morning

r0sgw2.jpg

I partied a little to hard and started late.

14e9hr5.jpg

Lots of horses...

308hzlz.jpg

Great route, so many cool old barns.

2cpzy3l.jpg

I think I see another X-challenge!

tasaa9.jpg

Buzzez seems pleased to have caught me.

kca60.jpg

2itfvc0.jpg

Akers Ferry

xbfhqx.jpg

The Fairy Captain. Possibly a wood elf. Kid made some bank that day. Said he shuttled at least 40 bikes at $4 a pop.

34yo0a9.jpg

33fasee.jpg

xmuzj5.jpg

fp47me.jpg

2j18neu.jpg

Hooligans... :clap

2yunfx3.jpg

1676n15.jpg

122evk6.jpg

x1driu.jpg

1zvwtg9.jpg

30m4mxl.jpg

Headlight at 50% efficiency.

1qjzg5.jpg

Pit stop.

mt6r92.jpg

According to my GPS.

10752r7.jpg

According to my bike (back tire was spinning 50% of the time :lol3 )

1pxo40.jpg

Still a few miles left in her! :rofl

2h6egdd.jpg

My only injury.

Top Bottom