• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Flo_Evans

A little late (and overdue) after SBR my X was sounding a little "rough" and was way low on oil and coolant. Toped off the levels and finally put a foam unifilter in. Well gateway BMW did. :lol sounded a lot better and I got a nice HP boost from a new clean foam filter. :D I mixed up all my fuses so they put the right ones in the right order.

Then I couldn't sleep so I cleaned my chain real nice...
10d5f7q.jpg

Then I found an old ammo box and tried to think of ways to attach it with drilling holes in it and ruining its waterproofness.
2zebgg0.jpg

Did a (slight) tail bob. Basically took it apart striped stupid reflectors/brackets and rotated the plate. Might move the plate up more and hack some off but I didn't feel like cutting it yet. Don't know why I am so attached to that tail. I hate big ass shit hanging off the back of the bike but I can never bring myself to cut them. $100 "kits" are such a rip-off.
2yoe3cz.jpg

Found my "hard (to find) parts" and put a coat of paint on them. Went matte grey, stealth mode. You may be able to tell I do not paint for a living.
15g7f5.jpg

Strapped my old timex on the bars to record lap times :lol
91l5x5.jpg

Then I went to town packing synthetic grease in all my switches and buttons
35aj9sk.jpg

Best to glop it on thick then wipe off the excess with WD-40 and paper towels. My bro says this collects dirt but I would rather have dry dirty switches than rusted out ones.
71jy91.jpg

I like to use a q-tip to really get it in the hard to reach places
5d54sw.jpg

After all that non-sense it was time to go to work so I stripped all the bags off and drive to work. :cry
4fxwls.jpg

I need to get some better mirrors. I am just going to leave the broken one off till I find some I like. New tires are a must, these have had their day and triumphed but sadly can longer put up a fight.

I still want a cool looking/cheap/tough fuel tank but I think I am just going to get a rotopack and strap it to the rack. Haven't had to switch to "reserve" in the MSR since I intentionally ran it out of fuel to see how far it would go. so eh maybe I don't need it. Not around here at least.

Need to get a leo vince, a hyperpro to replace the airshock, rezenco seat. Its endless. I love working on this bike though. Keeps getting better and better.

Pretty happy with my tuneup.

Flo_Evans

thesoapster said:
Great pictures Flo :)

I'm shooting footage from my bike and should get more this weekend and am working on making a "highlight" video :D

I want to see more from all of you...

Have to give a welcome to all of our new members! I am working on a sticker project and should have something soon.

Dahellisdat, shoot me a PM if you want to ride sometime. We can keep it on the pavement if thats what you want. :lol

daw840

Flo_Evans said:

Have to give a welcome to all of our new members! I am working on a sticker project and should have something soon.

Dahellisdat, shoot me a PM if you want to ride sometime. We can keep it on the pavement if thats what you want. :lol

Nice to see you back Flo. Missed you around here. I always enjoy looking at all your pictures. Going to the Branson Motorcycle Rally at the end of May so I will be sure to pack along a camera and get some good pics up for everyone. Should be fun. 4 hours each way, and staying for 3 nights. Longest ride I have been on so far!

Flo_Evans

daw840 said:
Nice to see you back Flo. Missed you around here. I always enjoy looking at all your pictures. Going to the Branson Motorcycle Rally at the end of May so I will be sure to pack along a camera and get some good pics up for everyone. Should be fun. 4 hours each way, and staying for 3 nights. Longest ride I have been on so far!
Branson is not far (4 hours at top speed) when it? I might go down.

Scarecrow

How can I practice riding with a passenger? I've only done so once, but it was a short trip. I don't want to end up crashing up due to such inexperience.

daw840

Scarecrow said:
How can I practice riding with a passenger? I've only done so once, but it was a short trip. I don't want to end up crashing up due to such inexperience.

Parking lots and neighborhoods are the best way. Just make sure they know how to lean with you. Practice making turns, thats the biggest thing really. The rest isn't much different. Just make absolutely sure you explain that they need to keep their torso right in line with yours. A passenger leaning the wrong way in a turn can be absolutely disastrous.

I finished my basic riding course today so I can get my license tomorrow. The instructor told me I got the best grade in the whole group! :D

Too bad it's calling for rain all week except monday. :mad:

Flo_Evans said:

Yeah for sure....I'm kind of still getting used to riding around town and stuff. I haven't gone above 45 mph yet, but i've been pretty comfortable riding it to work. I got a cruiser so i think I'll def be sticking to the pavement. I'll get some pictures up at some point.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I have a question for 2 wheeled gaf.

Coming out of a bar on Saturday night, there was a douchebag on my bike. I was there watching the UFC fight, so the douchebag thing should have been a given.

I walked up to the person and said, "Excuse me, will you please get off my bike?" And he looked at me like I had just asked to nut in his mom's face.

Before I could say something else that would have resulted in a "Bar Fight-GAF" thread, a cop came up and pointed at me with his baton, "Is this your bike?" I nodded and shook the keys, he then pointed his stick at the douche and said "Get the fuck off his bike."

Awesome cop aside, have any of you caught people randomly thinking it was OK to get on your ride? And how did it usually resolve?

Sadly, I've have never had a cute girl leaning against my bike. Just douches. I mean, I rode some crotch rockets before so I kinda got that, I was hoping it would stop with the new ride.

I am also worried that my bike has Ed Hardy/Affliction germs.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Azzurri said:
Anyone have a Ducati Monster 696? I'm thinking of buying one later, and they seem really cool.

This guy I run into every once in a while has one, last year's? His only complaint was the rear view mirrors, which gave him a very small field of view.

AFreak

Banned
I'm really thinking hard about getting a scooter for around town here in China. Good thing is, they are incredibly cheap...about 320 USD (~2,000 RMB) can land me a pretty good scooter.

AFreak said:
I'm really thinking hard about getting a scooter for around town here in China. Good thing is, they are incredibly cheap...about 320 USD (~2,000 RMB) can land me a pretty good scooter.
I think these two things are mutually exclusive. But it depends on how long you expect to be riding it.

Flo_Evans

Dahellisdat said:
Yeah for sure....I'm kind of still getting used to riding around town and stuff. I haven't gone above 45 mph yet, but i've been pretty comfortable riding it to work. I got a cruiser so i think I'll def be sticking to the pavement. I'll get some pictures up at some point.

We can just go putz around Forest Park if you don't feel ready to explore our amazing backroads :D

ChiTownBuffalo said:

Coming out of a bar on Saturday night, there was a douchebag on my bike. I was there watching the UFC fight, so the douchebag thing should have been a given.

I walked up to the person and said, "Excuse me, will you please get off my bike?" And he looked at me like I had just asked to nut in his mom's face.

Before I could say something else that would have resulted in a "Bar Fight-GAF" thread, a cop came up and pointed at me with his baton, "Is this your bike?" I nodded and shook the keys, he then pointed his stick at the douche and said "Get the fuck off his bike."

Awesome cop aside, have any of you caught people randomly thinking it was OK to get on your ride? And how did it usually resolve?

Sadly, I've have never had a cute girl leaning against my bike. Just douches. I mean, I rode some crotch rockets before so I kinda got that, I was hoping it would stop with the new ride.

What kind of bike is it? No-one tries to sit on mine because it is too tall/scary looking.

In general that is like dancing with a mans wife. You ask permission and treat it like your daughter. I let a good friend sit on mine once (running, bad idea...) and he drop kicked it into 1st killing the engine. Better than looping it thru the wall I guess. So I never really let anyone (unless I know them and know they ride) sit on my bike, and I don't let ANYONE get on it while its running to rev the engine unless they are ready to ride off and I have their bike keys in my hand.

Azzurri said:
Anyone have a Ducati Monster 696? I'm thinking of buying one later, and they seem really cool.

How much do you weigh? I had a 750 monster as a 1st bike and it was plenty fast for a beginner but if you are on the chunky side the little one will be underpowered. Great starter bikes though, one caveat. MAINTENANCE. Unless you have lots of cash, have a good ducati dealer in the area or are good with a wrench I would avoid ducatis as a first bike. They guy I sold mine to hasn't been keeping up with it and it runs like shit now. Pisses me off. I offered him $2000 to buy it back in whatever condition but he wants to keep it. Oh well I want an 848... :lol

Flo_Evans said:
We can just go putz around Forest Park if you don't feel ready to explore our amazing backroads :D

What kind of bike is it? No-one tries to sit on mine because it is too tall/scary looking.

In general that is like dancing with a mans wife. You ask permission and treat it like your daughter. I let a good friend sit on mine once (running, bad idea...) and he drop kicked it into 1st killing the engine. Better than looping it thru the wall I guess. So I never really let anyone (unless I know them and know they ride) sit on my bike, and I don't let ANYONE get on it while its running to rev the engine unless they are ready to ride off and I have their bike keys in my hand.

How much do you weigh? I had a 750 monster as a 1st bike and it was plenty fast for a beginner but if you are on the chunky side the little one will be underpowered. Great starter bikes though, one caveat. MAINTENANCE. Unless you have lots of cash, have a good ducati dealer in the area or are good with a wrench I would avoid ducatis as a first bike. They guy I sold mine to hasn't been keeping up with it and it runs like shit now. Pisses me off. I offered him $2000 to buy it back in whatever condition but he wants to keep it. Oh well I want an 848... :lol

Ya, I heard their engineering is kind of weird and kind of forces you to use dealer tools. Like a guy said they use 2 cams for opening/closing valves instead of a spring to close the valve. They're more expensive to get serviced but other than that I haven't heard complaints.

Rode home for the first time by myself after getting my license today. :D

Flo_Evans

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ya, I heard their engineering is kind of weird and kind of forces you to use dealer tools. Like a guy said they use 2 cams for opening/closing valves instead of a spring to close the valve. They're more expensive to get serviced but other than that I haven't heard complaints.

Rode home for the first time by myself after getting my license today. :D

Yes there are 2 cams for each valve. This allows the engine to rev higher and not have "valve slap"

http://members.chello.nl/~wgj.jansen/ < if you want to see how it works and how it has evolved.

It's really not that much more complicated than any other valves, but if you don't know what you are doing you can really fuck your engine up. Just like with other valves. :lol

ChiTownBuffalo

Flo_Evans said:

I have a Triumph Thruxton.

daw840

Flo_Evans said:
Yes there are 2 cams for each valve. This allows the engine to rev higher and not have "valve slap"

http://members.chello.nl/~wgj.jansen/ < if you want to see how it works and how it has evolved.

It's really not that much more complicated than any other valves, but if you don't know what you are doing you can really fuck your engine up. Just like with other valves. :lol

So what do you think. Gonna be able to make it out for the Branson rally?

Flo_Evans

daw840 said:
So what do you think. Gonna be able to make it out for the Branson rally?

I need to look at my calendar (ask my wife)... I think I may have a birthday party that weekend but maybe I could go down sat or sunday...

ChiTownBuffalo said:
I have a Triumph Thruxton.

Those are sexy, hard to resist touching... :lol

ChiTownBuffalo

He shouldn't have been straddling it. And twisting the throttle.

daw840

Flo_Evans said:
I need to look at my calendar (ask my wife)... I think I may have a birthday party that weekend but maybe I could go down sat or sunday...

Those are sexy, hard to resist touching... :lol
Let me know. I will be there the whole weekend!

I don't think much is going on on sunday though, just a FYI.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
He shouldn't have been straddling it. And twisting the throttle.

Indeed. Sometimes I think it is to my benefit for having an old 80s bike that looks a little......used.:lol

I just finished a relaxing 3 hour ride around town. This is the perfect way to clear my head and forget about life's troubles. Good practice too....I think I may be ready for a more serious ride with you soon, Flo.

stldave2

Flo_Evans said:

I saw some dude on a liter bike get plowed on Skinker earlier this week while I was playing golf in Forest Park... I think he was alright, but they took him away on a stretcher anyway. Thought I would share:lol

I have sympathy for him, I almost got my shit wrecked a few years ago on Manchester... I road that gixxer like a surf board:lol

Amazing pictures Flo.

Man I so want to go to go on a Moab adventure asap (only ~100 miles from here). Only problem is all my friends are the lazy kind that only play games lately and my brother's rear shock crapped the bed which he keeps putting off getting it fixed (I begged him!). Depressing.

Flo_Evans

Dahellisdat said:
I just finished a relaxing 3 hour ride around town. This is the perfect way to clear my head and forget about life's troubles. Good practice too....I think I may be ready for a more serious ride with you soon, Flo.
I need some head clearing...

Bike has been at the shop getting tires. Need to go break them in this weekend for sure. I will probably head out to Chesterfield and ride around there. St albans road is pretty damn good. Pretty technical but you will learn 10x more following someone good down a difficult road than cruising around town. There is every kind of corner, from banked hairpins to off camber crests, dips, uphill/downhill turns, decreasing radius and wide open sweepers. It's better than the screaming eagle ;)

They repaved it a few years ago and last time I went it was smooth and grippy. We can meet up at some gas station and ride around for a bit and see where you want to go.

ChiTownBuffalo said:

Never had that happen, but if it does you're pretty much obliged as a man to belt the guy. Good thing that cop was there and was cool about it.

I wouldn't have thought the Ed Hardy crowd would really "get" a Thruxton though.

AFreak

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
I think these two things are mutually exclusive. But it depends on how long you expect to be riding it.

No, you can actually get a good scooter for that much. Mine would be second hand at that price, but it's a scooter that tops out at about 40kmh and can go about 30-40km on one charge.

Although you can also get a pretty good motorcycle here in China for only about 1,000 bucks. Sure, it won'y be Ducati or Harley, etc. But it will get me where I want to be in a small amount of time. that's all I really care about.

www.qlinkmotor.com

Those are some Chinese bikes you can get in the US. Pretty cheap too.

I was out for 6 hours and put on just under 200 miles today! :D :lol I've now done around 550 miles on my bike thus far and with that it brings a question for me. What kind of maintenance should I be doing regularly on my bike and how often should I be doing said maintenance?

AVclub

I saw a Harley for sale at a yard sale today. It didn't have a price on it, but looked like the family was looking to get rid of it as quickly as possible. I wanted a bike really badly and this one looks like exactly the style that I was interested in.

The dude selling it says he drained it of fluids and took off the battery a few years ago when he enlisted in the military and hasn't touched it since. The chrome parts seem to have oxidation all over them even though the bike doesn't appear that old.

They didn't give a price, just said 'Make us a reasonable offer" so I had no clue what I could offer or even if I should get it from them. I would be willing to invest up to a grand in fixing up a Harley, but as a novice I don't really know what would be a fair offer for a non working bike.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for my situation? Should I low-ball them and try to get a dirt cheap bike, or is it not even worth the effort? Are these things hard to get running once they've been collecting dust for a few years?

Well I finally decided to drop the 'stock' status on my 07 gsxr600. Ordered a full Yoshi RR exhaust and a Power Commander 3. Should be good for some more power and weight reduction.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I was out for 6 hours and put on just under 200 miles today! :D :lol I've now done around 550 miles on my bike thus far and with that it brings a question for me. What kind of maintenance should I be doing regularly on my bike and how often should I be doing said maintenance?

If it uses a chain for its final drive (all sportbikes sans Buells to my knowledge do) you (or a dealer) needs to tighten, clean, and lubricate the drive chain as needed (depends on where you ride and how hard you ride for the mileage). Check your manual, but generally about 1" of slack in the chain around halfway into the length is good. Keep your tires at the correct PSI, because as they are ridden on and as weather changes they will need to be adjusted. Then of course there are things like changing spark plugs (check your manual for interval) and oil/filter (I do it every 3,000 miles). At certain mile marks certain bearings need to be repacked. It mostly boils down to checking your manual. If you don't have one, search on the 'net for one or go buy one.

fastford58 said:
Well I finally decided to drop the 'stock' status on my 07 gsxr600. Ordered a full Yoshi RR exhaust and a Power Commander 3. Should be good for some more power and weight reduction.

Cool. You should add a race-level air filter in as well, and then once it's all together get a dyno tune (and block off the PAIR/reed valve).

Mr Sandman said:
Amazing pictures Flo.

Man I so want to go to go on a Moab adventure asap (only ~100 miles from here). Only problem is all my friends are the lazy kind that only play games lately and my brother's rear shock crapped the bed which he keeps putting off getting it fixed (I begged him!). Depressing.
The ADVrider.com crowd seems like a friendly bunch, see if anyone going there anytime soon.

Just came back from riding up to the Devil's Punchbowl with some friends. Goddam, I love being just a few minutes away from Hwy 2. :D

Flo_Evans

AVclub said:
I saw a Harley for sale at a yard sale today. It didn't have a price on it, but looked like the family was looking to get rid of it as quickly as possible. I wanted a bike really badly and this one looks like exactly the style that I was interested in.

The dude selling it says he drained it of fluids and took off the battery a few years ago when he enlisted in the military and hasn't touched it since. The chrome parts seem to have oxidation all over them even though the bike doesn't appear that old.

They didn't give a price, just said 'Make us a reasonable offer" so I had no clue what I could offer or even if I should get it from them. I would be willing to invest up to a grand in fixing up a Harley, but as a novice I don't really know what would be a fair offer for a non working bike.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for my situation? Should I low-ball them and try to get a dirt cheap bike, or is it not even worth the effort? Are these things hard to get running once they've been collecting dust for a few years?
Generally if a bike has not been run for an extended period of time it is not worth it. If he stored it properly is one thing...

Depends on the price and your level of mechanical prowess. It may need a complete engine rebuild. It may fire right up but not run right. Harley engines are ancient tech, not that hard to work on but my guess is you will at least need to do a tear down and replace the seals/gaskets. If the bike will run you could probably not do it but it will burn/leak oil.

I would do some research, see if the the guy can at least get the bike running and go from there.

Flo_Evans

doitlive said:
The ADVrider.com crowd seems like a friendly bunch, see if anyone going there anytime soon.

Just came back from riding up to the Devil's Punchbowl with some friends. Goddam, I love being just a few minutes away from Hwy 2. :D
Advrider is great, I have meet up and rode with lots of cool cats from there when no one else wanted to ride.

The great thing about motorcycling is that if you find yourself with a bunch of dicks you can just turn around and go the other direction.

Dahellisdat said:
Photos of my 1st bike:
IMG_3408.jpg

IMG_3409.jpg

IMG_3410.jpg

Awesome! Offroad with Flo with that! You can do it! :lol :D

I think I may get a new tire for the front since it's a little worn. I was looking at the different types of tires and not sure what to get for my ninja 250. How much worse is traction loss in water with the stereotypical tires on sport bikes? Mine is more of an in between than the slick type tires on supersports. Is I switch over to the supersport type tire will it be a noticeable change in traction in rain?

Have any of you guys ever bought any kind of anti-fog spray for your helmets? Mine has been fogging up pretty bad when i'm not going fast enough for the air to circulate through it (stoplights, etc.)

Edit:
Also, what kind of products do you guys use for maintenance: ie chain lube, any essential tools i'll need?

Sweet bike, man!

As for the anti-fog and other products...

If your visor is fogging up you can prevent that by getting something like a Fog City visor piece. It's a clear oval with adhesive around the edges that you put on the inside of the face shield The protective seal basically keeps the bubble oval area fog free.

On chain maintenance, I do not recommend wax - wet lube only. For chain tightening, it will differ by bike, but on a sportbike you need a torque wrench (with appropriate size socket) to loosen the rear axle nut as well as correct size crescent wrenches for the lock/adjusting nuts. If it uses a cotter pin you will need to put one of those in each tightening.

Flo_Evans

thesoapster said:
If it uses a cotter pin you will need to put one of those in each tightening.

Just wanted to clarify, you will need (should use) a NEW cotter pin each time you take the wheel off.

Sweet bike Dahellisdat, we will have to do some nice easy river road cruises on that thing. I never had a chance to pick my fucking bike up over the weekend. Shop is closed mondays. GRRRR!!!!

Tomorrow for sure I will get her. :lol

Flo_Evans

Well I finally got my bike back, god a motorcycle can save you thousands a year on therapy...

Forgot my gloves though so I picked these up

24dlnjm.jpg

Spidi Something-somethings

I like them! :D

As an experiment I put my portable audio recorder in my tankbag to see what it sounded like. The results where awesome! :lol

Flo_Evans said:
Well I finally got my bike back, god a motorcycle can save you thousands a year on therapy...

Forgot my gloves though so I picked these up

24dlnjm.jpg

Spidi Something-somethings

I like them! :D

As an experiment I put my portable audio recorder in my tankbag to see what it sounded like. The results where awesome! :lol
:lol Nice recording. I'm debating whether to get a tank bag or not. I also get to clean my dirty ass chain for the first time this week end. Non self done maintenance is expensive. :/

Edit: While I'm here, does anyone have any recommendations for a summer jacket that still gives good protection? It's getting hot as shit in my leather jacket even though it's perforated.

daw840

Just got back from the Branson MC rally. Most riding I have ever done. 625 miles in 3 days! My old Nighthawk did great for a geriatric bike! Was a pretty crazy fucking weekend too.

We were going to leave Thursday evening, but it was raining all night and my bike doesn't hardly even run in the rain. Plus I have no rain gear. So we decided to just wake up super early on Friday. So, my buddy meets me at my house at 5:15am and we get started. I get about 2 blocks away and realize I forgot the 2 quarts of oil I was going to take with us, since my bike eats oil. No problem, just head back home grab it and we're off. I left the bike in the street, which was wet, ran in and grabbed the oil. When I opened the saddlebags, the fucking kickstand slid on the wet pavement and the bike laid over. No damage, thank god, but the fucker flooded and wouldn't start for 2 hours. So fucking pissed about that shit.

Anyways, we got down to Branson with no real issues. Went on a poker run with the Five O motorcycle club and that was a fucking blast. A MC club full of cops. We started talking to a couple of them, and ended up going out to the bar with them. They were going on a dice run down into Arkansas that was LEO only, but they invited us to go along as their guest. about 50 bikes all running in a pack, they were stopping traffic so we could get through intersections in a pack. Easily the coolest experience I have ever had on a ride. We went down through Jasper, AR then took scenic highway 7. Apparently, it is basically the Arkansas version of The Dragon in Tennessee. People come from all over to ride it. Super twisty and follows a huge cliff for miles.

All in all, it was a fantastic trip. All made possible by the great guys of the five O

Flo_Evans

DSC_0172.JPG

Nice form... :D

DSC_0146.JPG

Very Japanese riding style. He seemed scared of the bike.

DSC_0010.JPG

S-curve

DSC_0078.JPG

Grandpa Bill! :lol

DSC_0086.JPG

Nice Triumph :D

DSC_0166-1.JPG

Evil? :lol

DSC_0195.JPG

This chick rode great. Very smooth, no exaggerated knee dragging for the camera... Not bad looking either, I think I'm in love! :lol

DSC_0379.JPG

No wait I'm in love with you. :D

DSC_0452.JPG

No wai you like photos, bikes, and me?

DSC_0396.JPG

This bike literally was glowing in the dark!

DSC_0182.JPG

My buddy from Grass Roots BMW in Cape on the new s1000RR... I rode this around the parking lot. HOLY SHIT o_O

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Dahellisdat said:
Have any of you guys ever bought any kind of anti-fog spray for your helmets? Mine has been fogging up pretty bad when i'm not going fast enough for the air to circulate through it (stoplights, etc.)
Funny quick fix: try a bottle of shaving cream on the inside of your visor. buff it in until it's completely gone with a rag/sock. it works as a de-fog/anti-fog.

also keeps your helmet smelling fresh. :lol

Sweet pics, Flo. Am I mistaken in thinking you're already married?

That S1000RR is a mixed bag for me. After talking to BMW owners in person and online I pretty much came to the conclusion that the bike was going to have some interesting bugs and that, unfortunately, BMW would suck about getting the issues fixed.

I opened the S1000RR forum about a week ago and found quite a few mentions to odd things dying like turn signals and whatnot. Then I saw a poll on the site today and one full story of the happenings surrounding the bike dying (like literally just not turning over or anything). The poll said 8 out of 80 had their engines fail. Now, the detailed story almost sounded a lot like an issue my friend (who has owned two BMWs...still has one of them) described with their key chips and alarm systems that, when malfunctioning, can render the bike useless. It's an issue that exists on a couple of their previous models (previous to the new BMW superbike).

That crazy top end hit along with the track equipment optional out of the crate makes it tempting, but seeing as how even if I did track days on the thing it'd still live mostly on the street, I think I would choose a bike with more low or mid range power and, ideally, non bullshit electronics issues. If not my bike, the Honda CBR1000RR is about the same weight as the BMW (light) with a hell of a lot stronger mid range (than any other 1000, actually).

The guy who told his story about dealing with the dealership and BMW is having to get a brand new engine from BMW Germany. As a one-bike guy (for now), I would not want to be down for that damn long, especially if I owned that machine. I almost think I'd have more peace of mind owning a Ducati Superbike than the BMW :x

Top Bottom