• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Damaged

Flo_Evans said:
140km? That is barely a tank of gas!

I put around 400 miles on my bike this weekend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me_qutKJh7c

Some more helmet cam foot age from my brother, we tried doing some reverse angle, worked out pretty good. He lost his dog 5 minutes after we got to camp so he didn't go with us to record most of the trails we hit :(

http://i.imgur.com/FpZWQ.jpg

My friend got a new Husaberg. I had never even heard of these... pretty fucking insane bike. I was pretty jealous of his trailer hitch rack on the long ride home.

http://i.imgur.com/e9jcO.jpg

Husaberg are nice bikes, the company has been owned by KTM for a few years now so they are all running WP suspension. Not sure if they are developed in the same factory.

Edit: Yep, designed and built in the KTM factory in Austria since 2003. The racing ones are still developed in the Sweden factory.

My curiosity finally got the better of me after constantly see this thread pop up, so I dropped in here to see if this thread was about wheelchairs. Wow, do I feel like a dumbass.
I'm not joking

Vincent Alexander said:
My curiosity finally got the better of me after constantly see this thread pop up, so I dropped in here to see if this thread was about wheelchairs. Wow, do I feel like a dumbass.
I'm not joking

Wheelchairs have 4 wheels.

Flo_Evans said:
140km? That is barely a tank of gas!

I put around 400 miles on my bike this weekend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me_qutKJh7c

Some more helmet cam foot age from my brother, we tried doing some reverse angle, worked out pretty good.

Which cam does he have? I'm thinking of getting one. Apparently it's good to have in case a cager decides to cut you off cause they didn't see you.

Anyone got suggestions for security? I've been reading a lot of stories about theft, especially with sport bikes.

Flo_Evans

TheNiX said:
Which cam does he have? I'm thinking of getting one. Apparently it's good to have in case a cager decides to cut you off cause they didn't see you.

Anyone got suggestions for security? I've been reading a lot of stories about theft, especially with sport bikes.

He has a older ContourHD 720p cam

41XskWbfgTL._AA300_.jpg

I am thinking about buying another one for myself. The goPro's seem pretty popular but slightly harder to use while riding.

Problem with the GoPros is that they're much wider than most tube shaped cameras. Looks weird sticking out the side or top of your helmet. Might be able to wedge it in the foam at the front of the chin area though.

TheNiX said:

Insurance will cover that better than anything. You don't have to get full coverage to have them cover theft either, my policy is just Liability + Theft coverage. Chains and locks, etc. can be broken and cut pretty easily if they truly want your bike. But sometimes they're helpful if thieves don't want to spend the extra time to steal it.

RapidCancel said:
Insurance will cover that better than anything. You don't have to get full coverage to have them cover theft either, my policy is just Liability + Theft coverage. Chains and locks, etc. can be broken and cut pretty easily if they truly want your bike. But sometimes they're helpful if thieves don't want to spend the extra time to steal it.

I've heard the trifecta of chain/lock, wheel lock and alarm typically put up enough of a hassle that if they do try they'll move on pretty fast.

My crazy idea was to get half a crate made, park the bike against the wall and then cover it.

TheNiX said:
Problem with the GoPros is that they're much wider than most tube shaped cameras. Looks weird sticking out the side or top of your helmet. Might be able to wedge it in the foam at the front of the chin area though.

Depends on where you're going to put it. Mounting it to a helmet would certainly not work as well. I used the tripod mount and put it on an existing mount I have on my tank. Others use the 3M adhesive on various points on the bike to attach mounts. Works pretty good, apparently.

TheNiX said:
I've heard the trifecta of chain/lock, wheel lock and alarm typically put up enough of a hassle that if they do try they'll move on pretty fast.

My crazy idea was to get half a crate made, park the bike against the wall and then cover it.

Where do you usually park your bike? Do you live in house or apartment?

RapidCancel said:
Where do you usually park your bike? Do you live in house or apartment?

I'll be parking it in my garage, which would normally be ok, but I live in a stacked townhouse with a semi-shared garage.

garage.jpg

Red is the garage doors. Blue squares are doors. The separating walls stop about 8-9 feet out from the house wall and my neighbors, being the incredibly active and smart people that they are, leave their garage doors open all the time.

^ That sounds....really retarded. Wow...Perhaps park your bike in the back corner of the garage and have something in front of it to hide it if someone looks in? Maybe like a storage shelf with a lot of things on it and cover the bike too. Brake lock and chains could help if it makes it overly complicated or long for someone to steal the bike.

Kaze13

RapidCancel said:
^ That sounds....really retarded. Wow...Perhaps park your bike in the back corner of the garage and have something in front of it to hide it if someone looks in? Maybe like a storage shelf with a lot of things on it and cover the bike too. Brake lock and chains could help if it makes it overly complicated or long for someone to steal the bike.

^+1

+ obstruct the view into your portion of the garage. The first step is to prevent them from knowing what they can take. IF they already know then it's a matter of physical security.

RapidCancel said:

That's what I started to think when I was cleaning the garage. Just need to figure out who is more likely to leave theirs closed to maximize on the lack of visibility.

Time to drive an anchor into the ground and buy a chain.

Well... ***** it! My belt on my Buell just broke and I don't have a spare one! Bloody hell, just when the weather is asking for a ride..

Ordering Buell parts from the US in the Europe sucks, won't have it in 2 weeks, if everything goes ok. Can't go to 3 or 4 weeks :(

Ordered from www.ironmachine.com

Even though I can't see myself going back to chains.

Nice bike. I always liked Buells but that weird parts always bothered me availability wise. Maybe you should stock up on belts, brake pads etc since Buell is no more. Hope you get back out there soon. My bike is ready but it is still near freezing here.

Just picked up some leathers for the track day coming up next weekend:

RST Pro Series 1
9de3636fbd46fe7b0572e54fa8168434_thumb.jpg

Can't express how excited I am and hope the weather's going to be good. Was going to just take my R6 but since it's my first time I've convinced my mate to loan me his FZR250RR. Hoping that less power will help my focus on what I'm doing in the corners so I can keep the revs up.

TheProDaniel said:
Just picked up some leathers for the track day coming up next weekend:

RST Pro Series 1
9de3636fbd46fe7b0572e54fa8168434_thumb.jpg

Can't express how excited I am and hope the weather's going to be good. Was going to just take my R6 but since it's my first time I've convinced my mate to loan me his FZR250RR. Hoping that less power will help my focus on what I'm doing in the corners so I can keep the revs up.

Nice. I'd wear the leathers on the street a few times before you do the track day just to try and get them broken in a bit.

thesoapster said:
Nice. I'd wear the leathers on the street a few times before you do the track day just to try and get them broken in a bit.

Yep, exactly what I've been doing. Took them for a quick hills squirt yesterday and I'll try and get out a few more times pending the weather.

RustyO

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just found out my bike has been stolen from my carpark

RustyO said:

+1 to my paranoia....

What bike was it?

RustyO said:

Damn man that sucks =[ Was this at night? Did you have insurance? I hate thieves.

This'll freak thenix out.

RustyO said:

Sorry dude. I had custom bicycle stolen once and it still stings. I can only imagine what it feels like. Hope insurance will come through.

Damaged

RustyO said:

Thats fucking awful news man, had one of mine stolen last year and im still really paranoid about security now :( hope you had it insured, if so the plus side means new bike :)

RustyO said:

:(

Hope the fucker(s) are caught.

daw840

RustyO said:

Oh shit, that really sucks man. If you ever find out who did this, I think a crowbar is in order.

RapidCancel said:
Damn man that sucks =[ Was this at night? Did you have insurance? I hate thieves.

This'll freak thenix out.
Last night was the first night with it in my garage. I woke up twice, once at 3 and then again around 6 or 7, just so I could peek through my garage door peep hole and make sure it was still there.

Every noise has me paranoid. I will stab a bitch if I have to.

TheNiX said:
Last night was the first night with it in my garage. I woke up twice, once at 3 and then again around 6 or 7, just so I could peek through my garage door peep hole and make sure it was still there.

Every noise has me paranoid. I will stab a bitch if I have to.

What is your current setup for hiding it right now?

RapidCancel said:
What is your current setup for hiding it right now?

Absolutely nothing aside from putting it in the back right corner of the garage, which gets no light at night so it's practically invisible when you stand outside my one neighbors garage and look in. Tomorrow I'm grabbing a sheet from Wal-Mart for a temporary cover.

TheNiX said:
Absolutely nothing aside from putting it in the back right corner of the garage, which gets no light at night so it's practically invisible when you stand outside my one neighbors garage and look in. Tomorrow I'm grabbing a sheet from Wal-Mart for a temporary cover.

Let us know how it goes!

Kaze13 said:
Don't know if this has been posted yet here but it's useful info

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/chain-pickle/

I must try this!

RapidCancel said:
Let us know how it goes!

So far it's working out well. The sheet covers all of the shiny bits (damn you impeccably shiny exhaust!) The sheet is dark blue and at night makes it even harder to see the bike and because it's not an actual bike cover it's not tight and doesn't frame the bike making it a bit harder to make out from a distance.

RustyO

Got my bike back today.

Unfortunately there is a fair bit of damage from being dumped in the outdoors for a couple of weeks... looks like I'll be needing a new chain, new front pads, and new back pads, maybe a new steering dampner as they are all rusted to ****. Apart from that, some slight paint damage from the theft.

Most likely scenario is that it's been loaded straight into the back of a white van/ute (can tell by the paint marks) due to the fact that the steering lock was still on, and no attempt had been made to force it.

Bike was dumped a couple of blocks from where it was stolen from, so they may have been spooked and dumped it just after grabbing it. Or were thinking of coming back and grabbing it in a few weeks.

Security guys are reviewing the footage and I'm sorting stuff out with the police.

Damaged

RustyO said:
Got my bike back today.

Unfortunately there is a fair bit of damage from being dumped in the outdoors for a couple of weeks... looks like I'll be needing a new chain, new front pads, and new back pads, maybe a new steering dampner as they are all rusted to ****. Apart from that, some slight paint damage from the theft.

Most likely scenario is that it's been loaded straight into the back of a white van/ute (can tell by the paint marks) due to the fact that the steering lock was still on, and no attempt had been made to force it.

Bike was dumped a couple of blocks from where it was stolen from, so they may have been spooked and dumped it just after grabbing it. Or were thinking of coming back and grabbing it in a few weeks.

Security guys are reviewing the footage and I'm sorting stuff out with the police.

Gutted about the damage man, but on the positive side of things you at least got it back. Depending on your insurance cover id say get them to do the work. Had it happen to me last year and after a few months fighting i got it back in better condition than before.

TheNiX said:
So far it's working out well. The sheet covers all of the shiny bits (damn you impeccably shiny exhaust!) The sheet is dark blue and at night makes it even harder to see the bike and because it's not an actual bike cover it's not tight and doesn't frame the bike making it a bit harder to make out from a distance.

Sounds like a really good setup! Just don't worry about it too much or it might stress you out!

RustyO said:
Got my bike back today.

Glad they found it though, just a little TLC and it should be good again! I hope they catch the thief and make him pay.

RustyO said:
Got my bike back today.

Glad you got your bike back! Strange that stuff would rust so quickly, but that is all minor. I'd still have the frame and forks checked in case they were damaged by those bastards.

Flo_Evans

Had a great time, but man I am sore today!

Those BMW guys ride fucking HARD! (at least I smoked the KLR...) it is amazing how much you learn following an experienced rider. You think you are going fast, but then where did that guy in front of me go? Did I miss a turn? Nope he is up there sitting at the end of the trail waiting.

Flo_Evans said:
it is amazing how much you learn following an experienced rider. You think you are going fast, but then where did that guy in front of me go? Did I miss a turn? Nope he is up there sitting at the end of the trail waiting.

Same thing on the pavement :)

I am more or less at the top of the pack with the street riders I know (and the few randoms I've crossed paths with). At a track day (first time on a track) on the big, mighty BMW S1000RR I got passed by a guy riding the first bike I owned...a CBR600RR. Embarrassing (though he could just out-corner me)!

Took the bike out over the weekend and it died half way to where I was going, which was luckily not far from my place. Had to get it towed back because it wouldn't start up again. Started up fine the next day, took it around the block so it was within pushing distance if it died again, which it did. Pulled in the clutch to stop and it died. Eventually got it to start again, but it needed the choke almost all the way open to run and by that time the temperature had risen pretty high from me trying to get it running.

Time to take it in to get looked at :(

Flo_Evans

TheNiX said:
Took the bike out over the weekend and it died half way to where I was going, which was luckily not far from my place. Had to get it towed back because it wouldn't start up again. Started up fine the next day, took it around the block so it was within pushing distance if it died again, which it did. Pulled in the clutch to stop and it died. Eventually got it to start again, but it needed the choke almost all the way open to run and by that time the temperature had risen pretty high from me trying to get it running.

Time to take it in to get looked at :(

Sounds like dirty carbs - was the battery still cranking?

Yeah, it was still cranking, just sounded like the engine couldn't get going. Guy I bought it off of said he had the carb rebuilt last year, but maybe that isn't the case or maybe he let the gas sit in the carbs over the winter.

TheNiX said:
Yeah, it was still cranking, just sounded like the engine couldn't get going. Guy I bought it off of said he had the carb rebuilt last year, but maybe that isn't the case or maybe he let the gas sit in the carbs over the winter.

Could just be flooded if he let it sit over the winter.

RapidCancel said:
Could just be flooded if he let it sit over the winter.

Could be, but I'm at a loss. Don't know enough to say that's exactly it and start fixing it. Called a guy to come pick it up tomorrow to fix it.

Flo_Evans

Put on a new back tire, chain, and sprockets:

Kcz0i.jpg

Went down one tooth in the front, acceleration and wheelie ability greatly improved! Still have to take it on the highway to see how much top speed I lost. According to my calculations (guesses) I should still hit the HP/wind resistance wall before I run out of gears.

Top Bottom