• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

RapidCancel said:
The brakes are in clear view, so just take a look at it. If it looks like the pad's are low, then you'll have to change it. Low as in being less than like 5mm or so. If you don't know how pads look, hopefully this video will help you: http://www.ehow.com/video_4956938_check-motorcycle-brakes.html

Anyone have recommendations for new helmets? My Shoei RF1000 is about 5 years old now, so I think it's about time to retire it. Been wanting to try something new, but not sure what to get. Looking mainly at either the Arai RX-Q or AGV T2 or Gp Tech.

I know how to check them I just don't know what thickness to change at. I know there's the stud the pad so you have to keep a little from bottom. Are rotors expensive? I get the feeling the quote I got isn't for rotors....

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I know how to check them I just don't know what thickness to change at. I know there's the stud the pad so you have to keep a little from bottom. Are rotors expensive? I get the feeling the quote I got isn't for rotors....

Sorry...little confused if you're asking about rotors or pads.

But I'd say change the pads at about 5mm or 1/4" left of thickness to change the pads out. Do you feel the bike pulsating or anything when you brake? If not, the rotors are probably fine and all you need are new pads.

Rotors are pretty pricey, but usually, you won't change them as often as the pads.

RapidCancel said:
Sorry...little confused if you're asking about rotors or pads.

But I'd say change the pads at about 5mm or 1/4" left of thickness to change the pads out. Do you feel the bike pulsating or anything when you brake? If not, the rotors are probably fine and all you need are new pads.

Rotors are pretty pricey, but usually, you won't change them as often as the pads.

Doesn't pulsate or anything but there are some grooves from being on a dirt road.

Just finished my first oil change. Great success. As far as lubing the chain, I bought some of that spray on wax lube and some kerosene to clean it with before application.
I ended up getting this stuff.
Maxima Chain Wax
chainwax.jpg

Dahellisdat said:
Just finished my first oil change. Great success. As far as lubing the chain, I bought some of that spray on wax lube and some kerosene to clean it with before application.
I ended up getting this stuff.
Maxima Chain Wax
chainwax.jpg

What coincidence. I changed my oil today as well and went for my first ride of this year :) (god I'm rusty). Personally I'm not a fan of chain wax. I used it for a long time and it seems like it doesn't do as good of a job at preventing wear and tear on the chain and my shifts feel sloppier. BUT! All a matter of preference. Lots of people prefer to use wax. Just make sure it's dry and on there as the can says otherwise you'll be flinging the wax off the chain.

Karud

TheProDaniel said:
Here's a pic of my 99 R6. Just bought if off my mate for a steal as he was about to trade it in and it certainly has some pace compared to my old Across.
IMG_0005-1.jpg

He'd put on that pipe, put on a K&N filter and had it dyno jetted making 102hp at the tread.

Can't fault it at all! Just gotta pick up some leathers for a track day now.

I ride the `01 edition, which is basically the same with some minor improvements and it's still an awesome bike. Also the entire design is just fantastic work by Yamaha.

Ugh, speedometer cable fell off the speedometer as I was riding yesterday... Took forever to get that stupid hand nut to line up correctly to reattach but I think it's attached again finally... What a pain in the ass, I think I'll weld it on.

Damaged

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ugh, speedometer cable fell off the speedometer as I was riding yesterday... Took forever to get that stupid hand nut to line up correctly to reattach but I think it's attached again finally... What a pain in the ass, I think I'll weld it on.

Dont weld it on, get some red loctite thread sealer, will stop most screw threads from working loose over the miles

Damaged said:
Dont weld it on, get some red loctite thread sealer, will stop most screw threads from working loose over the miles

No I know, I was just joking. I'm just annoyed it comes undone. I'm not putting loctite on it now, I'll just check it periodically. It took so long to get on that I don't want to take it off to get it back together.

thesoapster said:
What coincidence. I changed my oil today as well and went for my first ride of this year :) (god I'm rusty). Personally I'm not a fan of chain wax. I used it for a long time and it seems like it doesn't do as good of a job at preventing wear and tear on the chain and my shifts feel sloppier. BUT! All a matter of preference. Lots of people prefer to use wax. Just make sure it's dry and on there as the can says otherwise you'll be flinging the wax off the chain.
I'll remember that. Mayb I'll try something else next time. Do you have any particular brand recommendations or anything?

oneHeero

So I maybe getting a bike, main reason is gas but I also always wanted one. I'll be taking riding classes (15hrs) prior to buying a bike.
I was looking to see if anyone can provide a general breakdown of a few bikes. I do want a sporty bike, I'm thinking a 500 but depending on how long it takes to get a bike and how my classes go (may take more intermediate ones) I'm not oppose to a 600.

I'll more then likely go with a 500 though.
I've been reading up on bikes all day but man the names confuse me.
I hear good things about the GS500F but what about the Ninja 500R?

rass

oneHeero said:
So I maybe getting a bike, main reason is gas but I also always wanted one. I'll be taking riding classes (15hrs) prior to buying a bike.
I was looking to see if anyone can provide a general breakdown of a few bikes. I do want a sporty bike, I'm thinking a 500 but depending on how long it takes to get a bike and how my classes go (may take more intermediate ones) I'm not oppose to a 600.

I wouldn't call the GS500F "sporty". Reliable, bulletproof and dependable are 3 words that do come to mind though. Cheap to own too, from what I hear. I don't know too much about other bikes in the class sorry, I'm sure someone else can chime in. The GS500 is a popular learner bike down here in oz.

So I have pretty much decided to sell my bandit and get a drz400 supermoto. I want to release my inner hooligan haha. They just look like so much fun. Also, I am so scared of dropping my bike that I'm not really pushing my skills, a bike that will survive a drop will probably help with my nerves. Also, jumps.

Damaged - your bike also gets impounded for burnouts or wheelies. Hooray victoria police!

Damaged

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
No I know, I was just joking. I'm just annoyed it comes undone. I'm not putting loctite on it now, I'll just check it periodically. It took so long to get on that I don't want to take it off to get it back together.

Ah sorry man :)

rass said:
So I have pretty much decided to sell my bandit and get a drz400 supermoto. I want to release my inner hooligan haha. They just look like so much fun. Also, I am so scared of dropping my bike that I'm not really pushing my skills, a bike that will survive a drop will probably help with my nerves. Also, jumps.

Damaged - your bike also gets impounded for burnouts or wheelies. Hooray victoria police!

Good choice, I still regret selling my old DRZ, deffo try sitting on one before you buy though as the seat is really high. The enduro one I had was about the 100cm mark but I think the SM spec is a little lower.

SmokyDave

Now then 2 Wheeled GAF, I put it to you that the finest motorcycle ever to have been produced is the Ducati 888. What say you?

888-sps.jpg

Perfection.

oneHeero said:

The ninja 500 is everything good with the 250 except it has a bigger engine. Most likely it will be easier to resell as well. If you want something to last you longer, I'd say look into the Ninja 650 or the SV 650. Good beginner bikes and plenty of power.

Can anyone recommend a good place online to pick up Suomy helmets?

SmokyDave said:
Now then 2 Wheeled GAF, I put it to you that the finest motorcycle ever to have been produced is the Ducati 888. What say you?

888-sps.jpg

Perfection.

It's certainly among the most beautiful. And I've owned a couple of Ducati's myself (a 620 Monster, a Superbike 998 and now a Monster 1100s). I've never ridden the 888 however, so I can't really comment on its handling. Can't imagine it's better than my 1100s though.

My reasoning goes something like this: the 998 (which I have owned) is an evolution of the 888 and it's built for a track. Completely rock hard and completely unforgiving, it's excellent for high speed twists and turns. For anything other than that it's pretty useless though. On the whole I'm a lot faster on my 1100 on the same roads I used to run with my 998. I therefore predict the 1100 is the finest motorcycle ever produced. It's beautiful as well, though not as insanely good looking and unique as the 851/888/916/996/998 bikes.

I've also never ridden the Britten V1000. I suspect that to be another contender for best bike ever.

Damaged said:
Cheers! yeah its run out of steam about the 9.5 mark really, power starts low and really starts to build at 6 thou.

Yeah, glorious stuff those 4valved twins. I used to get the tunnel vision thing when my 998 went into full swing.

Damaged

Hmm, best bike ever? always have a soft spot for anything designed by Massimo Tamburini and the MV Agusta F4 has easily the prettiest exhausts on any bike made

MvAgusta.jpg

As far as a perfect example of what you can do tech wise though it has to be the desmosedici, nothing else is as close to being a road legal motogp bike

ducati_desmosedici_rr_01.jpg

So many bikes i could list here as my dream bikes though, would love a late 60's Husqvarna, a KTM factory 660SM, a Mike Hailwood replica Ducati, one of the early 60's 250 Ducatis, the list goes on forever lol....

Edit:
Fallout-NL said:
Yeah, glorious stuff those 4valved twins. I used to get the tunnel vision thing when my 998 went into full swing.

Its really taking me back at the mo just how much top end there is :)

rass

Damaged said:
Ah sorry man :)

Good choice, I still regret selling my old DRZ, deffo try sitting on one before you buy though as the seat is really high. The enduro one I had was about the 100cm mark but I think the SM spec is a little lower.
I already sat on one haha, I practically drooled on it.
I'm 6'2, the seat height isn't a problem for me.

Found a nice cheap one set up for commuting locally, going to have a look in a week or so when I'm back from holidays. Here's hoping :)

Damaged

rass said:
I already sat on one haha, I practically drooled on it.
I'm 6'2, the seat height isn't a problem for me.

Found a nice cheap one set up for commuting locally, going to have a look in a week or so when I'm back from holidays. Here's hoping :)

That's all good then man :) here's hoping you pick up a bargain. Also, pictures are compulsory when you do get one!

SmokyDave said:

http://classic-motorbikes.net/images/gallery/888-sps.jpg
Perfection.

In 15 years I will probably say the same thing about some bike from around this time. People my age then will be like "wtf are you talking about". I can appreciate that bike, but it's before my time :)

If I had to pick an old Ducati I'd have to say the Ducati 916 really helped shape the sportbikes I saw growing up, and it really got the formula for the Superbike pretty much set. The 1198 today pretty much has the same design elements. Dual under seat exhaust, dual headlight, single sided swingarm, trellis-style frame...it was all there.

Hey all! New member just whoring his bike. :p

I'm in the UK but this is an American import, you probably won't see another one like it in England. :D

38232_414949623388_514398388_4472696_7631177_n.jpg

38232_414949653388_514398388_4472702_6746031_n.jpg

38232_414949648388_514398388_4472701_325991_n.jpg

38232_414949633388_514398388_4472698_3280372_n.jpg

:)

Thanks.

I've been thinking of selling it recently as I'm 6'2" and it feels a bit cramped when riding it, especially at slow speeds, it kills my wrists.

Here's a picture just after collecting it a year or so ago.

9028_146002578388_514398388_2486811_1631756_n.jpg

As you can see it looks quite small. lol

Welcome to the majority of superbikes. Yes, they're uncomfortable and work only when driven at speed.

I hear Suzuki's GSX range is less brutal, though if you really want something that's a little more practical and easier on the wrists: get a naked bike.

Yeah I was thinking of something like a Z1000. I had a brand new VFR1200 a little while ago for the day, that was the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden, I'd have one tomorrow if I could afford it.

MonkeyKnuckle said:
Thanks.

I've been thinking of selling it recently as I'm 6'2" and it feels a bit cramped when riding it, especially at slow speeds, it kills my wrists.

Here's a picture just after collecting it a year or so ago.

9028_146002578388_514398388_2486811_1631756_n.jpg

As you can see it looks quite small. lol

Welcome! I had the same model, only mine was blue.

cbr.jpg

You might see how the 04/05 Yamaha R6 feels. The wrist issues are unfortunately a part of sportbikes. You can alleviate it at least partially by holding your body up more with your core than by putting weight on your hands. If you do a bit of commuting and get stuck behind cars and have to put up with slow speeds, maybe look at a sport standard/naked. They have a lot of the same sporting fun/potential of a race replica but they're easy and comfortable to manage and throw about.

Fallout-NL said:
Welcome to the majority of superbikes. Yes, they're uncomfortable and work only when driven at speed.

I hear Suzuki's GSX range is less brutal, though if you really want something that's a little more practical and easier on the wrists: get a naked bike.

The GSX-R is probably the most plush among the race replicas. The new middleweights ('11 600 and 750) are excellent bikes, too. They made some good improvements.

Flo_Evans

New bikes for spring!

Unfortunately nothing for me... yet ;)

My brother got a new f800GS (bonus dad in the background)

kdb3m.jpg

And my friend got a gently used DRZ400

vIhm5.jpg

Flo_Evans

Yeah weather is looking great this weekend. Unfortunately I have to fly to Iowa and help my sister move back home :(

Dropped the bike off at the dealer to get the valves checked/adjusted and told them to throw on a new pipe while they where at it :)

The f800 is a weird (BMW) bike. Its a parallel twin, and both pistons are in sync. One is on the exhaust stroke while the other is on the compression.

Then there is a 3rd "counterweight" shaft that points down. Fucking germans!

LBme3.jpg

I don't what all this extra engineering is supposed to accomplish (except for making the bike cost thousands more than it needs too...), but it is much smoother than my single and has TONS more power/torque.

I dunno, I've only ridden it around the block. Hopefully I can get some more time on it next weekend :)

Kaze13

Hello 2-wheel gaf. Just wanted to chime in and post some pics. I have two bikes. My street bike: 07 Triumph 675 and my track bike: 04 Yamaha R6.

Here's the 675 on the track.
Triumph%20675.png

And here's the R6 on the track...lol
Picture%2022.jpg

gg Peace out!
Picture%2026.jpg

Hoping to get a Duc some time in the future after unloading one of the bikes. Can't afford any more...:(

Very nice pictures. Assuming all things go as planned I should make it to the track a couple times this season on my R1. I will be doing another day of California Superbike School in May, so that will be fun.

Damaged said:
Well had a good run out on the bike today, started out as a quick run but ended up doing about 170 miles around north wales :) got that rear tyre nicely run in now.

Even managed to get some on board footage :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2OZTIkJ_e0

Looks like a marvelous time. I had the bike out yesterday and had some fun...though it needs to get warmer so the roads are hotter and my tires stick better (gee why would I want that...).

Today driving home from the trail (I bicycle, too!) I passed a guy who had been pulled over by an unmarked state trooper. This was near an intersection I went through. Well, after I went through the intersection a guy on a Fireblade (older style) pulled out and got behind me. We get onto the main section of the highway and he passes me, probably hitting triple digits along the way. He then is stuck lingering in traffic for a short bit...and then an unmarked state trooper (couldn't tell if it was the same car or not) flies past me with lights on. Goes all the way up there and pulls that bike over. It seemed like way too large of a time gap from when he sped, but maybe he got his speed from earlier and it took him that long to actually catch up (this is the most likely scenario). It doesn't pay to fuck around on main highways (even if others are speeding heavily, too). My one and only ticket was similar, only I never sped past anyone. I was following traffic the whole time, but that was over the limit. Boom. gone. Therefore, I keep my shenanigans (and there are many) to the backroads.

On a fun note, a little while after I saw a Nissan GT-R. Such a fucking mean car.

Damaged

thesoapster said:
Looks like a marvelous time. I had the bike out yesterday and had some fun...though it needs to get warmer so the roads are hotter and my tires stick better (gee why would I want that...)

Yep was a big shock as it was supposed to rain all day, ended up pretty sunny so stayed on the road all morning :)

Looking forward to the warmer weather myself just not the traffic that always comes along with it.

Flo_Evans said:
Yeah weather is looking great this weekend. Unfortunately I have to fly to Iowa and help my sister move back home :(

Dropped the bike off at the dealer to get the valves checked/adjusted and told them to throw on a new pipe while they where at it :)

The f800 is a weird (BMW) bike. Its a parallel twin, and both pistons are in sync. One is on the exhaust stroke while the other is on the compression.

Then there is a 3rd "counterweight" shaft that points down. Fucking germans!

LBme3.jpg

I don't what all this extra engineering is supposed to accomplish (except for making the bike cost thousands more than it needs too...), but it is much smoother than my single and has TONS more power/torque.

Hmm, yeah I'm not a fan of that engine. It's a Rotax engine right? I think it's the same one they got in the F800R. It started vibrating like crazy around 120km/h and it does take a while for the power to appear on the band. I suspect it works better as a GS. The F800R was pretty, yeah, bad.

Flo_Evans

Fallout-NL said:
Hmm, yeah I'm not a fan of that engine. It's a Rotax engine right? I think it's the same one they got in the F800R. It started vibrating like crazy around 120km/h and it does take a while for the power to appear on the band. I suspect it works better as a GS. The F800R was pretty, yeah, bad.

I wonder if it's tuned different for the R? I never got a chance to really stretch the legs of the GS but it seemed to be really torquey in the low end.

hmm yes it is:

f800GS said:
Rated output 85hp (63 kW) at 7,500 rpm

Max. torque 62 lb/ft (83 Nm) at 5,750 rpm

f800R said:
Rated output 87 hp (64 kW) at 8.000 rpm

Max. torque 63 lb/ft (86 Nm) at 6.000 rpm

I'm trying to find my first bike and I've been looking at naked bikes (Thanks GAF for teaching me the proper name for these bikes), but I can't seem to find one in the 250cc range.

I've been looking at old Honda CBRs and Yamaha XS, but they're hard to find at a decent price. Any suggestions for other makes/models?

Damaged

Fallout-NL said:
Cool pics man, I suspect there's some pretty great riding to be done around those parts.
Yeah some amazing roads if you know where to look, just got to be really carefull with the police. They will make a point of ticketing bikers for even the most minor offence

Well Bikeweek is over in Daytona. I miss it already. there's nothing like being surrounded for 10 days with countless thousands of other riders, sport bikes, cruisers, trikes, anything under the sun!

We had amazing weather and I saw cole slaw wrestling which will haunt my dreams for some time to come! :)

I knew at the beginning of this past week that it was going to be warm this weekend (and Friday looked especially good). I immediately took off work in anticipation. This was a good decision :)

It was in the 70s and sunny, and I got to ride with my crazy friend (who has an RC51). Was out for about 6.5 hours. After all the backroads on the route were done we rode into downtown Baltimore and got some food. I have a feeling it's going to be a good season.

Kaze13

Trackdays? If you do, which tracks have you been to and what are your experiences?

Me

Thunderhill:
Thunderhill.jpg

1st Trackday with S.T.A.R. school. Awesome experience on a great track. I was a n00b so I didn't get the full scope until later on. I revisit the track every now and then and it is always a great time.
Incidents: lowside - after Turn 5. End of the day fatigue. lowside - Turn 9, scraped my left foot peg on the candy stripes and pogo'd it off the track. Broken stator cover. Replaced and track'd some more lol.

No vid :(

Reno Fernley Racetrack:
Reno-Fernley_Raceway-Full_Track_Conf-M.gif

Good ol Ferntucky. Home course with minimal creature comforts but the track is amazing! Sure it's bumpy but it has the appeal no other track can do for me. It's a long course with a ton of turns that cover all areas of track styles. +/- camber, bowl, uphill, downhill, hairpin, esses, etc. This track has it all IMO.
Incidents: lowsides in 3 areas. Minor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BaUuVlRroY

Miller Motorsports Park!:
2010-Miller-Motorsports-Park-Track-Map1-533x400.jpg

MMP baby. Amazing. nuff said. Host of SBK during Memorial day weekend. Best of all, I got to ride 2 days for FREE! Booyah. This track is world class and shouldn't be missed. If you have the opportunity, don't hesitate to ride it.
Incidents: none

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqVcJnZpX8w&feature=related

Top Bottom