• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

I've never ridden before but am interested in the off-road type of stuff that Flo posted. How would I go about learning? Are there classes or do I just get a bike and find some people that ride? I don't know anyone personally who rides off-road, though I know a couple who ride sport bikes.

Hey gaffers. Motorcycle noob question here. I've got a '93 Shadow VT600c (VLX). How important is the throttle push cable? I think it's been broken the whole time I've owned the bike, but didn't know until I went to cleanup/fix the finicky starter switch. The throttle it's self has a big return spring so I'm not too worried about the engine getting caught in a WOT.

Also, where do you guys think I could get a new switch w/o buying the whole assembly?

Wow...Reno-Fernley looks like an absolute blast to ride.

Nice vids Kaze, how much did you get the go pro wide for? I'm thinking about picking up a go pro HD.

I'll be hitting up my first track day in April at Texas World Speedway...I can't wait!

Kaze13

RapidCancel said:
Wow...Reno-Fernley looks like an absolute blast to ride.

Nice vids Kaze, how much did you get the go pro wide for? I'm thinking about picking up a go pro HD.

I'll be hitting up my first track day in April at Texas World Speedway...I can't wait!

RFR - if you don't mind bumps and portapotties then hell yes it is a blast! lol

Go pro was borrowed. I have used em a bunch though. They are worth it for capturing the experience. The HD version is really good but expensive.

Dude, enjoy it and take it easy on the first day. Having fun and taking the bike home ready for another trackday is paramount. Be careful though, this hobby is an addiction. Once you do one, there are only two possibilities: 1. Do more! 2. Racing. lol

Flo_Evans

opticalmace said:
I've never ridden before but am interested in the off-road type of stuff that Flo posted. How would I go about learning? Are there classes or do I just get a bike and find some people that ride? I don't know anyone personally who rides off-road, though I know a couple who ride sport bikes.

BMW has a huge off road riding school in NC that is supposed to be pretty awesome (and expensive). My local BMW shop has guided rides and campouts during the season and one "big" event with instructors and a course set up with drills focused on teaching beginners and more advanced techniques.

I would check around the local shop that sell dirtbikes/enduros. They should be able to point you in the proper direction.

MSF does have some dirt bike schools, but it seems far fewer than their road courses http://www.dirtbikeschool.com

http://dualsportriding.com/index.php?id=724 < these guys make pretty good DVDs

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16 < adventure rider is a great forum for off road action. Meet lots of people to ride with & found new areas from reading and going on rides with dudes from there.

Kaze13 said:
Thanks man.

Adventure riding looks so much fun! I want to try it sometime. Where exactly is that?

It's about 50 miles west of St. Louis. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...012,-91.024475&spn=0.917805,1.240082&t=h&z=10

QualityPixel said:
Those underwater bridges looked like great fun (depending on your definition of fun!)

They are fun, when they are covered in algae its like riding on ice. Worse than ice with a really strong current trying to sweep you off. :p I used to be afraid of hidden rocks in regular gravel creek crossings but now I respect the concrete bridges allot more.

EL Beefo

So I picked up a new toy/project over the weekend, a non-running 50cc scooter for $80! After taking apart the engine it was clear why it wasn't running, the whole crankcase was covered in rusty looking sludge, probably the result of the previous owner running without an air filter and a very richly tuned carb (he was only getting about 40mpg when it should get 100+). So I cleaned out the crankcase with half a can of carb cleaner and it looks much better now, I'm just hoping none of the bearings are shot because I really don't want to split the entire engine apart. I've also ordered a 70cc kit to give me alittle more power.

1z1tv6q.jpg

5n3i8.jpg

The inside of the crankcase, it's obvious why it didn't run.

1zdavf4.jpg

About half of the plastic is missing...

s5vepe.jpg

and what is there is pretty busted up from when a tree fell on it. But luckily, zip-ties fix just about anything!

Flo_Evans

Definitely looks like a project!

I kind of want to pick up a scoot just for the hell of it... I need to buy a new car soon though so I probably should wait on more toys...

Where do you guys like to order parts? I order from cheapcycleparts.com most of the time, but it usually takes a week for them to get orders out the door.

kylej

Banned
QualityPixel said:
Where do you guys like to order parts? I order from cheapcycleparts.com most of the time, but it usually takes a week for them to get orders out the door.

RonAyers or bust.

Just had this put on hold for me:

4238689_20.jpeg

'03 250 Ninja. Here's the greatest part: It only has 140km on it. Bought brand new, lady got pregnant and was only able to put it through one season.

kylej

Banned
TheNiX said:

4238689_20.jpeg

'03 250 Ninja. Here's the greatest part: It only has 140km on it. Bought brand new, lady got pregnant and was only able to put it through one season.

Nice. Replace the tires asap if they're the stockers.

I've had a 2010 Honda SH150 for almost a year now, and I love it. Its top speed is 65, which is just enough to get on the highway. It gets between 70 and 90 miles per gallon, which is just fantastic. I use it to go back and forth from school twice a week (a 30 minute drive), so I make up at least half the monthly payment in fuel savings alone.

I'm only about an hour away from the Blue Ridge Parkway but have never been; thinking about taking a ride out there this spring or summer.

Don't have any pics of it right now; sorry!

Does anyone have a good page with some stats on motorcycle accidents? My girlfriend doesn't like me riding and worries every time I go out; she's a trauma nurse and sees lots of victims of accidents. I'd like to be able to show her something to assuage her fears.

Kaze13 said:
RFR - if you don't mind bumps and portapotties then hell yes it is a blast! lol

Go pro was borrowed. I have used em a bunch though. They are worth it for capturing the experience. The HD version is really good but expensive.

Dude, enjoy it and take it easy on the first day. Having fun and taking the bike home ready for another trackday is paramount. Be careful though, this hobby is an addiction. Once you do one, there are only two possibilities: 1. Do more! 2. Racing. lol

Heh yeah...I can't wait. The only thing is I don't know what to do as far as going there and setting up and etc. since I'll just be going by myself. I enjoy a lot of group rides with people on the streets, but I think I'll have a bigger blast on a track where I don't have to worry about as much things.

Kaze13

RapidCancel said:
Heh yeah...I can't wait. The only thing is I don't know what to do as far as going there and setting up and etc. since I'll just be going by myself. I enjoy a lot of group rides with people on the streets, but I think I'll have a bigger blast on a track where I don't have to worry about as much things.

*Do ALL of your prep before you leave. Don't procrastinate on this one.
*Look up the local boards and see if there are any riders you can hook up with
*All of my experiences on the track are very positive. No problems with people at all. What I am getting at is that you shouldn't be afraid to approach anybody.

You will have a blast, I guarantee it.

edit: oh yeah here are some general tips: (in no order)

At the pits
1. Get there early so you don't rush anything.
2. Register early
3. Unload and get bike prep (check tire pressure <- important) early
4. Drink A LOT of water. You should be peeing after every session.

On the track
1. Most of all get familiar with the track first.
2. Don't worry about what is behind you. Always look forward.
3. Don't worry about the "perfect" body position for now. Just ride and ride well.
4. There is always somebody faster. Don't go past your comfort zone (you aren't racing...yet)

If you have questions, ask em. Always glad to help out a fellow rider.

ThLunarian said:
. . . I'd like to be able to show her something to assuage her fears.

I don't know where you could find statistics, but just make sure you always wear a helmet. There is something here on this thread of a study of motorcycle wrecks with all kinds of useful info, even though the study is quite old I think the content is still relevant.

Kaze13

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Are stock same as the replacement tires you can buy from Kawasaki? What's wrong with them?

those stock tires are fine for a beginner. That bike isn't nearly fast enough to surpass the capabilities of the tire. Just make sure that the tire pressure is where it needs to be. A crash usually is not because of the tire (it's the ride 99.99% of the time). So, my suggestion is buy better gear.

Kaze13 said:
those stock tires are fine for a beginner. That bike isn't nearly fast enough to surpass the capabilities of the tire. Just make sure that the tire pressure is where it needs to be. A crash usually is not because of the tire (it's the ride 99.99% of the time). So, my suggestion is buy better gear.

What do you mean? I was just going to get my tires replaced and was wondering if the ones from kawasaki suck.

Kaze13 said:

Thanks for all the tips! I've been trying to find someone to go with me but it seems like most won'e be able to make it. The person I was going to go with crashed and wrecked his bike at the track yesterday so it looks like he won't be going either. Hopefully I can find someone to go with to make the experience a bit easier.

QualityPixel said:
I don't know where you could find statistics, but just make sure you always wear a helmet. There is something here on this thread of a study of motorcycle wrecks with all kinds of useful info, even though the study is quite old I think the content is still relevant.

This...a billion times this. Wear your gear. I'm in Texas and it's hot as hell in the summer and I'll still be wearing leathers to get around. Leathers can be the difference between life and death so make sure you wear them.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What do you mean? I was just going to get my tires replaced and was wondering if the ones from kawasaki suck.

From the pics, your tires look fine. Just make sure there aren't any flat spots from the bike sitting for a long time. If you were going to replace your tires from Kawasaki, it's most likely going to be the same model tire that's on there now.

RapidCancel said:
Thanks for all the tips! I've been trying to find someone to go with me but it seems like most won'e be able to make it. The person I was going to go with crashed and wrecked his bike at the track yesterday so it looks like he won't be going either. Hopefully I can find someone to go with to make the experience a bit easier.

This...a billion times this. Wear your gear. I'm in Texas and it's hot as hell in the summer and I'll still be wearing leathers to get around. Leathers can be the difference between life and death so make sure you wear them.

From the pics, your tires look fine. Just make sure there aren't any flat spots from the bike sitting for a long time. If you were going to replace your tires from Kawasaki, it's most likely going to be the same model tire that's on there now.

I haven't posted a pic in ages. :p

Kaze13

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

If that pic is recent then all I mean is, your tires are fine. Don't get me wrong, softer tires are always better. Few can take full advantage of such tires though.

RapidCancel said:

When you get there, get to talking with your neighbors. Remember, you guys already have something in common lol. Bummer about your buddy crashing but it's part of the experience. Some are very lucky. Most are not. It just happens at some point.

Kaze13 said:
When you get there, get to talking with your neighbors. Remember, you guys already have something in common lol. Bummer about your buddy crashing but it's part of the experience. Some are very lucky. Most are not. It just happens at some point.

Yeah, the good thing is that it was his track bike anyway. The main thing for me is I don't have a truck or a trailer so I was trying to find someone who does. Don't want to ride my bike there in case anything happens at the track.

Kaze13

RapidCancel said:
Yeah, the good thing is that it was his track bike anyway. The main thing for me is I don't have a truck or a trailer so I was trying to find someone who does. Don't want to ride my bike there in case anything happens at the track.

If all else fails, you can try Uhaul. I've seen many people use them and their small trailers to great success. You are right about riding your bike there. If you don't crash, you will be very tired by days end. Unless you are super fit of course. I'm not talking about just physically, mentally too.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Are stock same as the replacement tires you can buy from Kawasaki? What's wrong with them?

Ninja 250s typically don't come with the best tires. You don't need super sticky track day tires, but it's best to spring for something a little better than whatever bottom of the barrel tires come as OEM equipment on a bike like that. I think the guy you replied to suggested replacing them ASAP because the bike is 8 years old, and regardless of mileage, a tire that old is not safe.

QualityPixel said:

The last detailed study on motorcycle fatalities I read had some revealing stats. With something like half of all motorcycle deaths, the rider was intoxicated. And also a large percentage occurred with people that didn't wear a helmet. If you don't ride messed up, always wear gear, and having proper training you greatly increase your odds of not killing yourself.

I haven't posted my bike, I'm just wondering if tires from kawasaki are bad since someone put them down. I need new tires so I want to know if the ones from the dealer are bad since I was buying from them.

Kaze13

Death Dealer said:
Ninja 250s typically don't come with the best tires. You don't need super sticky track day tires, but it's best to spring for something a little better than whatever bottom of the barrel tires come as OEM equipment on a bike like that. I think the guy you replied to suggested replacing them ASAP because the bike is 8 years old, and regardless of mileage, a tire that old is not safe.

Yeah...if that tire is more than 5 years old, it's time to get some tires lol

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I haven't posted my bike, I'm just wondering if tires from kawasaki are bad since someone put them down. I need new tires so I want to know if the ones from the dealer are bad since I was buying from them.

They'll most likely be fine. But if theres other shops around you, you can prob get better deals for better tires than going straight to kawasaki. What bike is it?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

As mentioned, the age of the tires factors in, but the make/type of tire is quite important. I've seen the same model throughout different cycles get different tires. Mine had the OEM Dunlop Qualifiers...which are one of the worst sport tires in existence, IMO. A lot of sportbikes are getting Bridgestones now. You should choose your tire based on your riding style. If you're not an aggressive sport rider there's no reason to get the softer, stickier tires because they won't last as long. Touring or sport touring tires would be a better bet.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
250. No shops by me.

In my experience if you schedule ahead you can just take the bike to the shop and wait while your tires get changed (45min-1.5 hours, depending). How far is the nearest motorcycle shop?

thesoapster said:
As mentioned, the age of the tires factors in, but the make/type of tire is quite important. I've seen the same model throughout different cycles get different tires. Mine had the OEM Dunlop Qualifiers...which are one of the worst sport tires in existence, IMO. A lot of sportbikes are getting Bridgestones now. You should choose your tire based on your riding style. If you're not an aggressive sport rider there's no reason to get the softer, stickier tires because they won't last as long. Touring or sport touring tires would be a better bet.

In my experience if you schedule ahead you can just take the bike to the shop and wait while your tires get changed (45min-1.5 hours, depending). How far is the nearest motorcycle shop?

I literally don't know of any but dealers around me.

Dealers sell the same tires as everyone else. It's not like Kawasaki makes their own tires. It's just with an inexpensive bike like a ninja 250, they usually come with lower quality tires. If you don't want the same oem tire, you can get something different put on. With such small tires, the difference between crap and something decent may only cost $20 extra per tire.

The bad thing about going to a dealer for a tire change is they're more expensive. They typically charge full boat MSRP. Whereas a non-dealer affiliated motorcycle shop, or better yet, a motorcycle specific tire shop, will usually give anywhere from a 10-25% discount on list price. The cheapest of course is to order them from the internet. Many places will have sales on tires periodically, 50% off etc.

If a dealer is your only choice, just call around and get some price comparisons beforehand.
Just make sure you're comparing like for like, i.e. cost for new tires mounted and balanced.

Kaze13

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is it possible to change brakes/tires yourself or not worth it?

Brakes are easy. Tires...not so much. You can take it off/on yourself and have the dealer install the tires for cheaper than bringing the whole bike in.

kylej

Banned
Er, I wasn't talking about the quality of the tires. If those are the stock tires put on 8-9 years ago by the factory they need to be replaced asap. Tires degrade with time.

I love coming back to find all of my questions answered because everyone mistook Zaraki for me.

Guess I'll have to spring for tires. I'm assuming they're safe enough to ride slowly around my complex.

TheNiX said:
I love coming back to find all of my questions answered because everyone mistook Zaraki for me.

Guess I'll have to spring for tires. I'm assuming they're safe enough to ride slowly around my complex.

You're welcome. :p

RustyO

Daft question for Americans and Canadians... Whats the best site for bike sales?

Part of me is thinking about putting The Morrígan on a plane for a road trip around the US / Canada / Mexico... maybe further...

Anyone ever got panniers for a supersports?

Flo_Evans

TheNiX said:

140km? That is barely a tank of gas!

I put around 400 miles on my bike this weekend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me_qutKJh7c

Some more helmet cam foot age from my brother, we tried doing some reverse angle, worked out pretty good. He lost his dog 5 minutes after we got to camp so he didn't go with us to record most of the trails we hit :(

FpZWQ.jpg

My friend got a new Husaberg. I had never even heard of these... pretty fucking insane bike. I was pretty jealous of his trailer hitch rack on the long ride home.

e9jcO.jpg

Flo_Evans

daw840 said:
Oh no! Did he find his dog?
Yes, well someone else found it (harness was caught on some brush) and thankfully called him. You can see the dog riding on the back in some of the rear facing shots :)

Top Bottom