• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Flo_Evans said:
New helmet cam, 60fps 720p video... not sure if its worth the space to record everything 60fps, maybe just for action shots. Pretty sweet though!!!

http://www.atmdst.net/flo/Helmet-Cam-test.mov

Neat! I haven't tried the 60fps on mine. I should give it a go.

daw840 said:
holy shit! 288 MB!?! I don't live in Japan damn it. That will take hours on my PC.

Average size for an HD video of that length/quality. Hours? Are you on dialup? I just got the whole thing in a couple minutes with Comcast.

Flo_Evans

thesoapster said:
Neat! I haven't tried the 60fps on mine. I should give it a go.

Average size for an HD video of that length/quality. Hours? Are you on dialup? I just got the whole thing in a couple minutes with Comcast.
My home PC can't even play it back smoothy... I think it's time for an upgrade.

2 wheel adventure (mountain bike, not my motorcycle).

My motorcycle is in need of some fuses at the moment (please don't ask me why) and they are taking an extraordinarily long time to make their way to my doorstep.

So, yesterday I got my mountain bike's first adjustment done. Since it was a nice day I decide I'm going to go for a ride. My brother, who used to be an avid mountain biker, gave me a nice route to try (one that was a little bit harder than what I've done). The blue/black at the bottom of the map is the route. The blue overlaps at first because the blue trail is part of it. Well, he left out some left turn along the way that would go into the black portion and take me back to my car. I started at 5:00 or so. The rest of the blue route up to the green is a rough estimate of what actually was done. When I checked the GPS on my phone I found out where I was. I was furious. At this point it was about 7:45 and the sun was nearly gone (not ideal for me, obviously). If you don't keep moving in bicycle shorts it can get a little bit chilly. So, at the part where the green begins is gravel road, and it leads down into a road that I know.

5675784140_7741fd63d1_b.jpg

At this point there is no way I can make it back to my car. I'm worn the hell out, bruised, scraped, gashed, wet, etc. So I start cruising down to the spot where I know I can get a ride from a family member. You can really start flying on these downhills. At one point while pedaling, though, my chain came off the front sprocket. The immediate loss of tension in the pedals made me fall off the seat and then I was standing above the frame, more or less skiing on this road while trying to not wipe the hell out and just stop. I didn't crash, but wow what a shitty experience. I did manage to get the chain back on with little effort. I did make it to the area I needed to be to get picked up and got home just in time for the UFC fights I wanted to see (I was home close to 10:00). The trail itself is ridiculously hard. I am nearly certain a large part of that route is not supposed to be biked. Extremely rocky uphills are not my forte, especially since I'm pretty new to mountain biking. There were a couple of rough stretches that I muscled through and enjoyed but mostly it was not cool. I lost the front several times and nearly flew off (including once breaking rear traction in the sand and the going sideways). Constant frustration trying to get through the place. Ugh.

Flo_Evans

Ouch Soapster! Thats why I gave up mountain biking... too many stories like that, got lost, got hurt, barely made it home. Nice to have a motor with you out in the woods ;)

Went on the "Swinging Bridges" ride this weekend. 500 miles over 2 days.

AS9Lt.jpg

DJmug.jpg

altqn.jpg

3Tt27.jpg

sWdsM.jpg

sbhdi.jpg

cXzwp.jpg

hSvX9.jpg

lpsgB.jpg

vbwBb.jpg

Ea95i.jpg

P1PYP.jpg

Dirt is a great way to hide your slightly expired tags...

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
heres my 250r

Two brothers exhaust
Lowered
Fender Eliminator
Xenon bulbs
Frame sliders
Two 3.5" speakers w/ mp3 input
Custom White Paint
K&N air/oil Filter w/ Royal Purple Oil
Blue LEDS
Flush Mount Turn signals
Black Windshield

IMG_0113.jpg

painted myself
IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

2.jpg

4 weeks ago it looked like this...
IMG_1425.jpg

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Flo_Evans said:
Nice paint job! I dig the lights, normally I find LEDs on bikes pretty tacky but that is very tastefully done!
Thanks Flo_Evans. Took a long time for me to finish everything, I'm pretty proud of it.

AiTM

Banned
@ at modified 250r, how much did you lower it and how did you do it? I was thinking of doing the same to mine.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
AiTM said:
@ at modified 250r, how much did you lower it and how did you do it? I was thinking of doing the same to mine.
It's a Roaring Toyz lowering kit. It's a 1" lowering. Comes with raising blocks for the handlebars, lowering links for the shock, and a compatible kickstand.

IMG_1372.jpg

http://www.roaringtoyz.com/parts_lowering-links.html
http://www.roaringtoyz.com/parts_lowering-blocks.html
http://www.roaringtoyz.com/parts_kickstands.html

wasnt hard, but you will need front and rear bike stands to install.

Flo_Evans

How does the lowering affect the handling? It looks more aggressive and actually looks bigger in the pics. Did you increase the spring rate at all?

Scarecrow

How many riders here have taken long road trips on their bikes? I'm throwing around the idea of going from Florida to Tennessee to visit family this summer, a trip that would be around 900 miles.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
for someone looking to buy their first bike, what would you guys suggest, i think i need something nice and pedestrian to learn on with at a bike riding course. And what manufacturers do you guys like , of course i know about the major ones, Ducatti, Yamaha, harley, Kawasaki, Suzuki, BMW etc but are there some smaller ones out there that also make good bikes for beginners??

kylej

Banned
DonasaurusRex said:
for someone looking to buy their first bike, what would you guys suggest, i think i need something nice and pedestrian to learn on with at a bike riding course. And what manufacturers do you guys like , of course i know about the major ones, Ducatti, Yamaha, harley, Kawasaki, Suzuki, BMW etc but are there some smaller ones out there that also make good bikes for beginners??

Are you in Europe or the US? If you're in the US and you want a sporty starter bike you're should look at the Kawasaki Ninja 250 or 500 and the Suzuki GS500.

kylej

Banned
daw840 said:
I think it's called cycle sounds, I am definitely putting it on my next bike. It's bad ass. You probably couldn't hear it on the highway, but definitely around town.

... I wear earbuds under my full face. I don't know how one even hears speakers on a bike. I guess if you're wearing a skid lid with no ear protection it's a viable alternative but even then I'd rather wear earbuds.

daw840

kylej said:
... I wear earbuds under my full face. I don't know how one even hears speakers on a bike. I guess if you're wearing a skid lid with no ear protection it's a viable alternative but even then I'd rather wear earbuds.

Yeah, with a full face it probably wouldn't work. I hate earbuds though, so....

Nice looking ride, Bad_Boy. Really good work.

Man, we moved back to Chicago from Orlando a month too early. Went from riding every day, to constant rain the last two weeks, and tonight it's already in the fucking 30s.

Got to do Biketoberfest, Daytona Beach Bikeweek (amazing!) and the excellent Leesburg Bike Fest though! And I have to say that I felt much safer on the roads because Floridians are more used to sharing the streets with bikers. Still endlessly observant, but it was a nicer feeling.

Weird note, the traditional biker wave that has such a strong foothold in Illinois is not as prevalent in Florida. But we did our best to get it going there. I was determined! :)

Well either way, we're riding this week. Just have to bundle up and deal.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Flo_Evans said:
How does the lowering affect the handling? It looks more aggressive and actually looks bigger in the pics. Did you increase the spring rate at all?
Technically I suppose the ride is supposed to be more bumpy, but I haven't noticed it at all. Its actually more comfortable, even though I rode the 250r without lowering it just fine.

The most you have to worry about is avoiding speed bumps as you can scrape the bottom. And then when taking corners, your feet are lower to the ground. I scraped my boot once but ever since then I keep them tucked in when cornering.

kylej said:
I love messing with wires. :)

So I bought an amp off ebay for 13 bucks, and wired up two 3.5" dash speakers i removed from my car a long time ago. I mounted them under the speedometer.

I can still hear them when I'm going 60 mph with my full face helmet. And I can lower the volume with my phone's side volume rocker.

Picture of the amp here..
IMG_0096.jpg

Mounted speakers...
IMG_0032.jpg

Amp kill switch
on
IMG_0094.jpg

off
IMG_0092.jpg

hey, if a goldwing can have sounds. why can't i?

krypt0nian said:
I appreciate it, thanks. :)

DonasaurusRex said:
Ninja 250r, or the new honda 250r are perfect for beginners like myself.

I've only been riding for 3 years. I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon. Even if I had the money, I would probably get an atv or jet ski and not a 600 or 1000. I'm pretty content with my little 250r.

IMG_20110406_134441.jpg

Some dude ran into my bike while I was getting groceries a while back. Good thing is that the dude stayed and I got all his info. The repair quote was just under four grand, so they are considering it a total loss and I'm getting a check for $3200. Not bad considering I paid about $1500 or so for it.

In better days:
IMG_20101111_114849.jpg

I really want to get a naked bike such as an FZ6, SV650 or Honda 599. Too bad prices here suck, especially this close to summer.

First time in thread. I always dreamed about a vintage yellow Vespa (yeah, just like FLCL) but never really dig it. Today I google for a bit, and the original vintage from 1967 is worth 2500€ second hand in good condition and the retro design from 2000's in about the same price, with better motorisation, security and confort. Never thought it would be that expensive. I guess it's the price for the brand Vespa.

5365780_1.jpg

(Yellow, no windshield. White scarf, old school rider helmet, anti-reflection glasses. Total awesomeness.)

RustyO

Scarecrow said:
How many riders here have taken long road trips on their bikes? I'm throwing around the idea of going from Florida to Tennessee to visit family this summer, a trip that would be around 900 miles.

/raises hand.

Last long trip was over 5,000 on a Ninja ZX6r

daw840

thesoapster said:
Apparently also hate having a face.
Haha, always on my case! What's funny is I actually do wear a full face probably 85% of the time I am on the bike. The other 15% I go without a helmet. Never on the highway without my full face though. Between you guys and my nurse wife I always feel guilty for riding sans helmet, but it feels so Damn good.

Flo_Evans

krypt0nian said:

Man, we moved back to Chicago from Orlando a month too early. Went from riding every day, to constant rain the last two weeks, and tonight it's already in the fucking 30s.

Got to do Biketoberfest, Daytona Beach Bikeweek (amazing!) and the excellent Leesburg Bike Fest though! And I have to say that I felt much safer on the roads because Floridians are more used to sharing the streets with bikers. Still endlessly observant, but it was a nicer feeling.

Weird note, the traditional biker wave that has such a strong foothold in Illinois is not as prevalent in Florida. But we did our best to get it going there. I was determined! :)

Well either way, we're riding this week. Just have to bundle up and deal.

No pics of bikeweek? :(

doitlive that is a shame... what year was that? It looked really clean. I'm guessing the damage was more extensive than the broken handlebar riser?

daw840... wear your helmet!

kylej

Banned
daw840 said:
Haha, always on my case! What's funny is I actually do wear a full face probably 85% of the time I am on the bike. The other 15% I go without a helmet. Never on the highway without my full face though. Between you guys and my nurse wife I always feel guilty for riding sans helmet, but it feels so Damn good.

Beating off feels good but you don't do that in public. At least wear an open face to protect your skull during a fall.

daw840

kylej said:
Beating off feels good but you don't do that in public. At least wear an open face to protect your skull during a fall.
I have a half helmet but it sucks and kind of chokes me. I just need t get a better one. I will once I get the Victory.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
2011-Harley-Davidson-Iron-883.jpg

My 2nd bike! Its getting delivered this week. I sold my first bike (2002 Ninja 500) to help pay for law school. Now I am out and have a decent job I can afford a new bike. MSRP is $7,999 and I got the dealer down to $7200 with no fees.

A little nervous after not riding for a few years but I am looking forward to it. I loved the sport bike but this bike just feels right for me for now (I still want a daytona 675 or that street version I saw posted a few pages back).

Its still a pretty "small" bike and after 4 years of not riding I think thats a good thing. I already got all the mods lined up (in stages) for the bike that will allow it to grow over time while I get used to riding again (pipes/air filter/efi + eventually 883 to 1250 to bring it close to 100 HP)

I got a 1991 GSX-R 750 sitting in my garage that I am "working" on as well. It needs some TLC and some $$$ (especially for fairings) but I just haven't had the time at all to put into it. The carbs are sitting on the shelf in desperate need of cleaning. I got that bike for $800 cash a few years ago.

Congrats on the bike! If it's been a few years just take it slow. Wouldn't hurt to take one of the more advanced (not total beginner) MSF courses.

daw840 said:
I have a half helmet but it sucks and kind of chokes me. I just need t get a better one. I will once I get the Victory.

Could always go modular, though they're a little heavier than a standard full face.

daw840

thesoapster said:
Congrats on the bike! If it's been a few years just take it slow. Wouldn't hurt to take one of the more advanced (not total beginner) MSF courses.

Could always go modular, though they're a little heavier than a standard full face.

My wife rocks a Nolan modular and she really likes it, I think it looks goofy though!

Yeah, I know I shouldn't be worried about looks damn it. I am though!

daw840 said:
My wife rocks a Nolan modular and she really likes it, I think it looks goofy though!

Yeah, I know I shouldn't be worried about looks damn it. I am though!

Honestly a well vented FF helmet is fine for me. You don't ride with a windshield, right? (If so, I can understand heat issues...when I rode a cruiser for a while with a windshield and my Shoei I nearly died.) What helmet do you have now that you use 85% of the time? I guess because my riding style is way different, the feeling of less protection, even if more "free" actually feels worse because the whole time I think about it. If I'm geared up it's less distracting.

daw840

thesoapster said:
Honestly a well vented FF helmet is fine for me. You don't ride with a windshield, right? (If so, I can understand heat issues...when I rode a cruiser for a while with a windshield and my Shoei I nearly died.) What helmet do you have now that you use 85% of the time? I guess because my riding style is way different, the feeling of less protection, even if more "free" actually feels worse because the whole time I think about it. If I'm geared up it's less distracting.

I have a Bell Recoil Star. Exactly like this one, and no I don't have a windshield.

2008_Bell_Star_Recoil_Helmet.jpg

Flo_Evans said:
doitlive that is a shame... what year was that? It looked really clean. I'm guessing the damage was more extensive than the broken handlebar riser?
2005. It just had a lot of cosmetic damage to all of the fairings, mirrors, exhaust, gas tank but all that adds up. I'm now commencing the mad hunt for a bike. I might get klr 650, if I can't find anything else.

subrock

daw840 said:
While that is cool, where do you even ride a 100? Will it keep up on say a 45 MPH road?
its a 2 stroke so it'll do 65mph (according to other owners) I've taken it for a couple test rips and it pulls really well.

(not that I'll really want to go on the highway, and all the local speed limits are 50km/h anyway)

daw840

subrock said:
its a 2 stroke so it'll do 65mph (according to other owners) I've taken it for a couple test rips and it pulls really well.

(not that I'll really want to go on the highway, and all the local speed limits are 50km/h anyway)

WOW! I had no idea. I thought those little bikes would need pedals!

Flo_Evans

doitlive said:
2005. It just had a lot of cosmetic damage to all of the fairings, mirrors, exhaust, gas tank but all that adds up. I'm now commencing the mad hunt for a bike. I might get klr 650, if I can't find anything else.
Friends don't let friends ride KLRs! (actual bumper sticker on my friends KLR).

Top Bottom