• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Flo_Evans said:
That 1st pic is badass. You can kind of tell the photographer was hoping for a spectacular crash...I think you need a Dirtbike ;)

Damaged said:
Nice save on that one man, could have been expensive :)

Thanks. I'm Pretty surprised I didn't fall considering how I went in lol.

daw840 said:
Well yeah....but I'm not getting airborne! Just cruisin!

Doesn't make a difference if you fall or if someone hits you from the side. Your still going to slam into the ground.

daw840 said:
Well yeah....but I'm not getting airborne! Just cruisin!

I got airborne by getting hit while going 30-35mph and I got seriously fucked up (should've had a better jacket and armored pants instead of jeans). A friend of mine got airborne when someone pulled out in front of her, and she now has to walk with a cane (at least she had a helmet on...). I'd say it's dangerous to be on a bike without a helmet sitting still at a stoplight (seen a few videos of people getting rammed into in that scenario).

vmr8qw.jpg

speaking of helmets. has anyone seen this one? its really expensive, but it seems to have all the features i want. I did like the fit of the Shoei RF-1100, and even the Arai RX-Q. This helmet is calling my name, but i have no dealers near here, so I have to risk an online purchase.

However, the Schuberth C3 is $699.99. ouch.

Flo_Evans

godofcookery said:
vmr8qw.jpg

speaking of helmets. has anyone seen this one? its really expensive, but it seems to have all the features i want. I did like the fit of the Shoei RF-1100, and even the Arai RX-Q. This helmet is calling my name, but i have no dealers near here, so I have to risk an online purchase.

Local shop just started carrying these. They seem real nice, but I wouldn't drop $600 on a helmet without trying it on 1st.

Damaged

daw840 said:
CHRIST.....people around here give me shit about not wearing a helmet....lol

Lol, Yeah it wasnt the safest of things to be doing ill admit

kylej said:
To be fair, when you ride a motard you spend most of your time with at least one wheel off the ground.

Yep, cant be helped with these things, you just end up riding like a complete tool lol

godofcookery said:
vmr8qw.jpg

For its safety rating I would not pay more than $100.........

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/schuberth-c3

SHARP is a nice resource because they actually show what parts of the helmet have protection issues and assign a rating based on force absorption ability. I'd get the RF-1100 out of the ones you mentioned. It actually comes in a bunch of different shell sizes (which is nice). Schuberth is only selling that helmet in two, which is pretty standard. Check http://www.compacc.com/ for a good price on a helmet.

edit: And holy shit at that crash. "bu bu bu bu I just cruise" doesn't really cut it. A collision with anything will send you flying pretty much guaranteed.

Damaged

Okay so i went out for another quick play today to try the new camera mount but im getting allot of vibration from the engine, its mounted on the headlamp so its got a fair bit of play in it. Will try the side fairing next time or possibly on the front wheel somewhere, hopefully the suspension will remove the vibes from the engine. Anybody got a good way to mount cameras to bikes? I've put it on me a few times but you lose the sense of speed the higher up it gets

http://youtu.be/QFg3HKBxH_c

okay, so it looks like the Schuberth is out. The other one I was looking at was....

e5oihf.jpg

now this is the one I did get to try on, I adore the periphery, and the visor can be removed. Apparently noise is a big issue for this guy, does anyone have an opinion of it? (Arai XD-3)

Flo_Evans

godofcookery said:
okay, so it looks like the Schuberth is out. The other one I was looking at was....

e5oihf.jpg

now this is the one I did get to try on, I adore the periphery, and the visor can be removed. Apparently noise is a big issue for this guy, does anyone have an opinion of it? (Arai XD-3)
That's my helmet!

It is amazing, but what is your usage for it? It is NOT recommended for extended highway use, the bill will wear you neck out as the wind catches it. It is removable, but if you don't plan on following any bikes closely in the mud (or going around a circuit where the sun is an issue) then I would get the regular arai.

Noise is not bad IMO, but vs a dedicated road helmet it is probably louder.

godofcookery said:

e5oihf.jpg

Looks like a paintball mask :D

But yeah...what Flo said :)

Flo_Evans said:
That's my helmet!

It is amazing, but what is your usage for it? It is NOT recommended for extended highway use, the bill will wear you neck out as the wind catches it. It is removable, but if you don't plan on following any bikes closely in the mud (or going around a circuit where the sun is an issue) then I would get the regular arai.

Noise is not bad IMO, but vs a dedicated road helmet it is probably louder.

some short/extended rides. all paved roads. I enjoyed the extra space at the mouth piece, and the peripheral vision. It feels less claustrophobic then the RF-1100 too. Those were my main reasons for wanting this guy. I didn't care for the RX-Q fit, at that point I would just get the RF-1100 really.

(I plan on wearing some ear plugs, dunno if that will increase the noise level. Some places I read said it would. Not sure how that works though...)

Flo_Evans

godofcookery said:
some short/extended rides. all paved roads. I enjoyed the extra space at the mouth piece, and the peripheral vision. It feels less claustrophobic then the RF-1100 too. Those were my main reasons for wanting this guy. I didn't care for the RX-Q fit, at that point I would just get the RF-1100 really.

(I plan on wearing some ear plugs, dunno if that will increase the noise level. Some places I read said it would. Not sure how that works though...)
Well the opening is bigger to accommodate goggles. Earplugs would reduce the noise in any helmet, don't know who said it would be louder but they are crazy. The only time the xd3 is loud is the highway, and I usually have my iPod on for that...

Look into flip up helmets if the road ones feel to claustrophobic... Trust me you will hate the duck bill at 80+mph.

Flo_Evans said:
Well the opening is bigger to accommodate goggles. Earplugs would reduce the noise in any helmet, don't know who said it would be louder but they are crazy. The only time the xd3 is loud is the highway, and I usually have my iPod on for that...

The only time, hehe. Most people do tend to spend quite some time on highways though.

Flo_Evans

Fallout-NL said:
The only time, hehe. Most people do tend to spend quite some time on highways though.
Well it's all relative. I borrowed someone else's cheap mx style helmet and it was TORTURE on the highway. Arais are nice helmets, but don't buy the off road one and expect it to be great at what it was not designed to do...

I would say before you drop $500+ on one borrow someone elses and see if you like it. I can tell you though the bill will get on your nerves, and it is noisier than an equivalent road helmet.

Flo_Evans said:
Well it's all relative. I borrowed someone else's cheap mx style helmet and it was TORTURE on the highway. Arais are nice helmets, but don't buy the off road one and expect it to be great at what it was not designed to do...

Naturally, no.

As far as noise goes: they say it's very wise to wear ear protection anyway. Apparently more than 15 or 20 minutes on the highway causes hearing damage? It's tiring as well.

Flo_Evans said:

I would say before you drop $500+ on one borrow someone elses and see if you like it. I can tell you though the bill will get on your nerves, and it is noisier than an equivalent road helmet.

yeah, i certainly will try to do that. But if I can remove that bill and get what i want out of it, then i may go for it. Welp, i suppose i will try and see if I can, if not, its looking l like the RF-1100 is the goods.

Flo_Evans

godofcookery said:
yeah, i certainly will try to do that. But if I can remove that bill and get what i want out of it, then i may go for it. Welp, i suppose i will try and see if I can, if not, its looking l like the RF-1100 is the goods.
Well you've made me curious. I just removed the bill on mine, and the shield comes off with it... So you are going to need googles if you take the bill off.

Have you looked at flip up chinbar helmets? I think those would solve your claustrophobia while still being roadworthy.

Edit: oops! Putting it back together I see how you could remove the bill and still have the faceshield. :p

Funny all the helmet talk...

I've lusted after the AGV GP-Tech Five Continents replica for a while now. Rossi wore it in 2008, and a good bit in 2009 and 2010. Don't think I've seen him wear it this year, but I really like its design. Never tried AGV, hope this helmet is a good fit (I've heard it has a similar fit to Shoei, so if that's true I should be good).

51AbGl.jpg

OndwQl.jpg

daw840

Sorry Soap, that' way too loud for my taste.

On the topic of helmets, I would wear a helmet 100% of the time if I could find a good bluetooth helmet to link up to my EVO. Even better if I could tap into the power system on my bike to mount and charge the phone. Streaming music would be godly

Flo_Evans said:
Well you've made me curious. I just removed the bill on mine, and the shield comes off with it... So you are going to need googles if you take the bill off.

Have you looked at flip up chinbar helmets? I think those would solve your claustrophobia while still being roadworthy.

Edit: oops! Putting it back together I see how you could remove the bill and still have the faceshield. :p

did you try riding with it? SOOoo curious about impressions. :)

@thesoapster

now THAT is an awesome helmet. I really like the etching actually. damn i wish i could custom paint. sigh...

Damaged

thesoapster said:
Funny all the helmet talk...

I've lusted after the AGV GP-Tech Five Continents replica for a while now. Rossi wore it in 2008, and a good bit in 2009 and 2010. Don't think I've seen him wear it this year, but I really like its design. Never tried AGV, hope this helmet is a good fit (I've heard it has a similar fit to Shoei, so if that's true I should be good).

http://i.imgur.com/51AbGl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OndwQl.jpg

I like AGV lids but have always found the fit to be a little on the small side compared to Arai, then again I could just have an odd shaped head. Would def see if you can try it on before buying.

Tenck

I am sooooooo jealous! I want a motorcycle so bad :'(

I remember a site that was posted on here, that talked about getting your first bike. Anyone happen to have a link they can spare :eek: ?

Damaged said:
I like AGV lids but have always found the fit to be a little on the small side compared to Arai, then again I could just have an odd shaped head. Would def see if you can try it on before buying.

Well, if you get it from a decent online shop (I ordered mine through SportBikeTrackGear.com) you can always return it for a full refund. I cannot wear a lot of the Arai helmets because they are more on the round side. Same for OGK. I once tried a large (my true helmet size by measurement and in practice) OGK FF5V on...had to fight to fit it on my head...immediate discomfort...even worse pain to try and get it off. Good quality lids, though. My head is more oval than circular. If you have a round head, I believe the best helmet is the Shark RSR2. I'm so sad I cannot wear that one without sizing up and padding the shit out of the inside - something I feel I should not have to do for a top shelf helmet, so I just try to find a shape that fits.

daw840 said:
Sorry Soap, that' way too loud for my taste.

Did you ever see my crashed helmet? Its paint scheme screamed :p . There's a face on the back that looks like an anime character with red hair and eyes staring at you.

4532278203_83707f248a_z.jpg

Mista Koo said:
First time I saw this thread I thought it was about wheelchairs.

Didn't some already post this EXACT same thing?

My(cheap) helmet:
exo400-rebel-mblack.jpg

Scorpion Exo400
It looks cool imo, but got quite a bit wind noise which annoys me but at that price, can't complain.

But,
shoei_x-twelve_martyr_tc5.jpg
, 700+$ :( one day maybe
Shoei X12

Soapster - Can't remember if it's still going on, but AGV had a trade in your old helmet for 20% (I think) off any AGV helmet. I think it might have ended earlier this month though.

I love my HJC Ben Spies replica...represent Texas!

001_ben_spies_hjc_replica_helmet_cd_gallery.jpg

Nolimit_SS said:
But,
shoei_x-twelve_martyr_tc5.jpg
, 700+$ :( one day maybe
Shoei X12

I have this exact helmet.

5709008722_2173def328_z.jpg

Check http://www.compacc.com/. I got mine when they first came out for I want to say $540. edit: Well that's unfortunate...no deals llisted for it. Look around e-Stores (ones with good return policies)...there is bound to be a good deal somewhere. You may just have to wait for the right time to buy.

I'd rate it (assuming it fits your noggin) one of the best helmets on the market today. If the AGV doesn't work out I'll be a bit saddened, yes, but I really cannot complain about the X-Twelve.

What kind of backpack/bags do those with sportbikes use? I have a small magnetic fuel tank bag, but it is nowhere near large enough to carry say a change of clothes around, or even a towel. How do backpacks hold up for riding? I'd be worried it would fall off of one of my arms and distract me while riding.

I wear my old Jansport backpack occasionally to carry some things (like a change of clothes if required). Just be sure the zippers are zipped down to the side, because they can open easier if zipped to the top (lost a tinted shield I was carrying in the pack when I hit triple digits. There are motorcycle-specific packs that might do a better job for you. They are not going to come off if you have both arms through them...you'd have to fly off the bike. If you're going to be constantly carrying stuff, I'd look into a tail bag instead. It's a little annoying to carry a backpack.

entremet

Fallout-NL said:
I find this American attitude towards motorcycles fascinating. In pretty much everything the idea for most of you guys is 'bigger is better' or 'can't beat cubes', yet with motorcycles most everyone insists on those 250ies as starter bikes.

There is nothing wrong with starting on a 600 or 650 bike if it's a two cylinder engine. Something like an R6 is obviously a lot faster with the same displacement and demands a little more respect. But there's little reason to dogmatically stick to 250cc bikes. If anything they are often shod with lower quality tires and brakes (which is less than ideal if safety is of primary concern), they will also leave something to be desired in terms of power. Getting on an R1, 1098 or S1000RR your first day out is unwise, but there's a middle ground as well.

Anyway, congrats on all you new bike owners here. The Harley, SV650 and R6 all look great. For the guy who was sideswiped (Rass), glad you're okay, hope insurance sorts everything out.

@Soapster: that driving schools supplies those BWM S1000s? Very nice, great bike huh? That power curve is almost linear with that quick shifter :D.

As for my own bike, recently I finally mounted the exhaust system it deserves. It sounds fucking awesome now:
Would a 250cc bike be too small for a 6 foot tall man? I've tried a few Ninjas and I'm told that the bike is too ''smal'' for me. I'm a beginner by the way, so I'm looking for a 250cc starter.

Flo_Evans

BlueScrote said:
What kind of backpack/bags do those with sportbikes use? I have a small magnetic fuel tank bag, but it is nowhere near large enough to carry say a change of clothes around, or even a towel. How do backpacks hold up for riding? I'd be worried it would fall off of one of my arms and distract me while riding.
Not a sport biker, but I use a small northface day pack. Has a chest strap to prevent falling off. Sometimes I strap it to the rear rack if I am tired.

entrement said:
Would a 250cc bike be too small for a 6 foot tall man? I've tried a few Ninjas and I'm told that the bike is too ''smal'' for me. I'm a beginner by the way, so I'm looking for a 250cc starter.

In centimeters that's about 183cm right? I'm personally just under 190cm and started on a Ducati Monster 620 (not a large bike by means and sold to women often for that reason) and I never had any trouble.

Honestly I think you'll be fine on the Ninja, but the best way, as always, is to just try it at a local dealer.

However, as I've argued, you might also try something a little larger. If you're at the Kawasaki dealership anyway you might try the ER6N which is excellent for a beginner as well. ABS, decent tires, there's room to grow for you in terms of power. Give it a shot, see what you feel most comfortable on.

entrement said:

Does it feel small to you though? I'm 6'1"/6'2" and have no problem with my ninja. I would say if it feels fine then you shouldn't have to worry.

Nander

I got this exact one (Arai RX7 GP) at a clearance sale a couple of months ago. Huge improvement over my old Grex helmet.

RX_7GP_OKADA_P400.jpg

entrement said:

My buddy wanted to get a Ninja 250 like me, but after sitting on one and riding mine he decided a 500 was better. He doesn't regret it and the few times we've gone off the line it doesn't seem like the extra 250cc is actually that much.

Also, if you ever plan to 2 up then you'll want the extra power. 250s aren't rated for a lot of weight. 320lbs or so combined weight, I think. Double check on that though.

Anyone know a good XXS helmet or place to get one? My girlfriend is tiny (90lbs, give or take) and we're having a hell of a time finding XXS helmets.

TheNiX said:
Anyone know a good XXS helmet or place to get one? My girlfriend is tiny (90lbs, give or take) and we're having a hell of a time finding XXS helmets.

Shoei makes XXS in the RF1100, and since there are five shell sizes the shell will most likely be a bit smaller than competitors.

edit: The GP-Tech is a really nice helmet. Very light, good quality. Photos cannot convey the retina burn that ensues from the paint. Lovely. I need this clown helmet.

I'm a bit frustrated with helmet fit, though. Nothing fits me just perfectly. This helmet probably has the most comfortable padding. The Shoeis are great, but tend to be a little too loose at the side of the face (even with thicker padding). The AGV is also great, but a couple spots up top could have a tiny bit more snug for better helmet stability. I cannot go down to medium size. No helmet fits me there. I think I'm just going to have to add a little padding myself to get the perfect fit I seek. </whitewhine>

The choke lever on my Ninja snapped off this morning when I went to start it. It should be interesting seeing how I can rig this to work without the lever.

BlueScrote said:
The choke lever on my Ninja snapped off this morning when I went to start it. It should be interesting seeing how I can rig this to work without the lever.
You actually still need it? I haven't used my choke in almost a month.

AiTM said:
Need to order a replacement battery for my 09 ninja 250r...any place online you guys recommend?

Batteries are heavy and you may end up paying more with shipping than just picking one up at a local auto parts store.

I've ordered parts from cheapcycleparts.com but their shipping is really slow (at least with OEM parts). Another gaffer suggested RonAyers.com , which I will order from the next time I need something.

Top Bottom