• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Full Recovery said:
Anyone know of the most friendly motorcycle insurance?

Hey Flo, what brand of helmet was your little guy wearing?

Where do you live? You really just have to shop around. Rider insurance is good but only in the Northeast of the US. Some aren't bad if you add it on a policy with your car if you also own a car.

And as for the helmet, it says ARAI in huge letters. :p

Darth Pinche said:
I took the day off since today was going to be the only dry day for the coming week! I had a blast, discovering some new roads!!! My bike looked so pretty today.

DSC04659.jpg

Looking good!

Full Recovery said:
Anyone know of the most friendly motorcycle insurance?

I'd say the best thing to do is shop around and go with the best quote. Some companies will offer a little discount if you go with them for both car and moto insurance, so you might want to check with whatever you have right now too.

Looks like my first track day will be this Monday! Can't wait, I'm ready to learn how to ride better.

It'll be at Texas World Speedway...I've passed by it so many times, but this'll be the first time I'm actually in there.

i7LeW.jpg

daw840

Darth Pinche said:
I took the day off since today was going to be the only dry day for the coming week! I had a blast, discovering some new roads!!! My bike looked so pretty today.

DSC04659.jpg
What kind of bike is that and how is the seating position? I always liked the aggressive look of rockets buy I hate how you sit on them.

CFMOORE!

been interested in a motorcycle for awhile now, sort of grew up with them till around age 8 or so when my dad got rid of the two or three he had. haven't been on once since and have no clue how to ride. but i want a cafe style racer as it simply appeals to my sense of style. i personally like the triumph thruxton and was wondering how that fares for a total noob.

CFMOORE! said:
been interested in a motorcycle for awhile now, sort of grew up with them till around age 8 or so when my dad got rid of the two or three he had. haven't been on once since and have no clue how to ride. but i want a cafe style racer as it simply appeals to my sense of style. i personally like the triumph thruxton and was wondering how that fares for a total noob.

Wish I could help you more on the cafe racer front (I want to build one myself), but the first step should always be MSF if you haven't taken it, IMO.

MSF - http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

Discusguy

Riding in the rain sucks. I got caught in a down poor without a place to hide this past Sunday. The next day I spent that night cleaning my baby. Never again.

Flo_Evans

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Brakes are easy to put on right? Dealership wants $80 in labor to put them on which seems steep...
Real easy... It's nice to have a lift (or some straps) to elevate the wheel.

Need a socket to take off the axel too.

You could just take the caliper off but it's a good idea to check the bearings when you do brakes.

daw840 said:
What kind of bike is that and how is the seating position? I always liked the aggressive look of rockets buy I hate how you sit on them.

Thanks! It is a 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 600 cc and very comfortable to ride. It has a handlebar instead of clip ons so you sit more upright. Not completely straight up but with the fairing I can ride 300 miles in a day no problem. It has great power up top and is pretty docile down low. It is a great all around bike. Other similar bikes are the Kawasaki 650n and Versys. it is hard to find an all around bike anymore since the market is geared towards racers, cruisers, or large tourers. The new Yamaha FZ6r is cheaper, heavier and has less power, but more newbie friendly.

Flo_Evans said:
Real easy... It's nice to have a lift (or some straps) to elevate the wheel.

Need a socket to take off the axel too.

You could just take the caliper off but it's a good idea to check the bearings when you do brakes.

Cool, I'll do it myself next time. I talked to the guy and he only charged me for a half hour of labor so I paid $40 to get them changed which isn't bad. Plus I need my bike done now since I have to go out tomorrow and my car broke down today. :(

kylej

Banned
Just put a deposit down on an '01 Ducati Monster S4 with high mount Termignoni exhaust, Sargeant seat, and a bunch of other performance and cosmetic mods. The thing is absurd. Time to get a taste of Italy for the first time in my motorcycling life.

:)

:)

Just finished my track day and DAMN...I've found my new addiction. I'm waiting for whoever took pictures to upload them...the only pic I have is one of my tires all bubbly.

irFC0.jpg

Anyone know where I can get a cheap 1 piece? I had to rent at the trackday since I don't have leather pants. It was a size 42 and way too big on me...going down the straight my whole suit was flapping around and hitting me.

Flo_Evans

Hope everyone had a fun safe weekend!

I didn't get to ride as much as I would have liked, but I did find some sand to play in down by the river...

N33lJ.jpg

TxdoHawk

Two-wheel GAF, what do you suggest I grab gear-wise if I want to take the MSF? My impression is that the majority of practice done is fairly low-speed, and I don't really want to drop a ton of money on gear until I know this is something I want to do...but I also like my skin. I guess worst-case I could Craigslist the clothes if I decide I'm not cut out for riding.

Flo_Evans

TxdoHawk said:
Two-wheel GAF, what do you suggest I grab gear-wise if I want to take the MSF? My impression is that the majority of practice done is fairly low-speed, and I don't really want to drop a ton of money on gear until I know this is something I want to do...but I also like my skin. I guess worst-case I could Craigslist the clothes if I decide I'm not cut out for riding.

For the MSF class you don't need much, a good leather jacket, boots, and some tougher than blue jeans pants should do it for that. You will be in a parking lot at parking lot speeds, you don't need a full race suit.

Motorcycle-GAF... so... a 250cc motorcycle for a newbie like me... yay or nay?

250 is great, but not in a cruiser... Look at a 250 ninja or WR supermoto to last much longer in the fun department... If you want to hold on to a cruiser past learning stages get a 500+ IMHO

TxdoHawk said:

In mine all you needed were jeans, long sleeves, and above-the-ankle boots. They provided the rest. Not sure if the ones near you will do that, but it would be worthwhile to check it out.

Discusguy said:
This is my new baby. Got this bike used with really low miles. I took off all the decals and striped the rims myself. Just ordered new mirrors with integrated signals on them. It feels so great to be back riding again.

http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z325/compile08/?action=view&current=WP_000462.jpg

God, I get weak in the knees when I see this model of R6. Aren't these years notorious for being engineered for the track way more that the street (i.e. all the power is in the high end and such)

I'm so ready to trade my GS500f in for one of these(I'd change the sprocket) or an R6s (less mods needed, but definitely not as nice looking)

Any other R6 owners?

and its my first, took it for a spin the other day! :) '08 SV650
I did this against my better judgement, because of the size, but I got an insane deal.
so insane i may get a 2nd 250 to ween myself onto riding. but this seemed manageable so we will see...

kd0237.jpg

(took the MSF course a few yrs ago, and taking it again soon!)

kylej

Banned
TxdoHawk said:

I would probably get a helmet. They supplied one when I took the MSF but dear god who wants to spend a weekend in an ancient, sweat soaked helmet that 100 other people have used and that probably won't fit you correctly.

ferr

I've always wanted a motorcycle, and I've been thinking about actually getting one recently. Never ridden one, but it doesn't look to hard.. just gears and stuff. I want the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (black). Probably start with a Ninja 250 though.

Az

Coins said:
So I finally have this sitting next to my car now.

iron883.jpg

10 miles on it. Im new to riding so I only took it up and down the street before dark yesterday. I plan on practicing in a parking lot all weekend.

Im fucking excited. Couldnt even sleep last night.

Beautiful. As a beginner I would like for you guys to give us models when posting pictures. Really looking into getting a bike this by next summer.

This is just stunning.

Coins

Banned
TheAzRim said:
Beautiful. As a beginner I would like for you guys to give us models when posting pictures. Really looking into getting a bike this by next summer.

This is just stunning.

Oops!

Its a 2011 Harley-Davidson Iron 883.

A few people told me that its too big to start off on and to go get a 250 first. Im unable to take the safety course this summer due to work but Harley did give me the manual that they use at the safety course. I did the drills in a parking lot for most of a day and then used what I learned on the side streets in my neighborhood. Once I got bored of the side streets I moved up to the main roads and then the smaller highways. Ive yet to tackle the freeway. I have yet to even almost drop the bike. Im glad I went with the bigger engine because on the smaller highways its nice to have that power when its needed.

Anyway, I absolutely LOVE my bike now. If I dont take it to work, I get home, shower and get right on. I have over 300 miles on it now and Im totally hooked.

I find this American attitude towards motorcycles fascinating. In pretty much everything the idea for most of you guys is 'bigger is better' or 'can't beat cubes', yet with motorcycles most everyone insists on those 250ies as starter bikes.

There is nothing wrong with starting on a 600 or 650 bike if it's a two cylinder engine. Something like an R6 is obviously a lot faster with the same displacement and demands a little more respect. But there's little reason to dogmatically stick to 250cc bikes. If anything they are often shod with lower quality tires and brakes (which is less than ideal if safety is of primary concern), they will also leave something to be desired in terms of power. Getting on an R1, 1098 or S1000RR your first day out is unwise, but there's a middle ground as well.

Anyway, congrats on all you new bike owners here. The Harley, SV650 and R6 all look great. For the guy who was sideswiped (Rass), glad you're okay, hope insurance sorts everything out.

@Soapster: that driving schools supplies those BWM S1000s? Very nice, great bike huh? That power curve is almost linear with that quick shifter :D.

As for my own bike, recently I finally mounted the exhaust system it deserves. It sounds fucking awesome now:

28qyb2c.jpg

iznrzp.jpg

Flo_Evans

I dunno, I find myself wanting smaller and smaller bikes.

I started on monster 750, went down to a single cylinder 650, for my next bike I want a 400 I think. I am enjoying more and more technical trails riding though!

Before I ever got a motorcycle I learned on my friends 250 rebel. It did have shit brakes and tires... Gummed up carbs, stupid geometry... But to someone used to pedal power it was a mean machine ;)

Nice terimigonis btw, I could never afford to give my monster the proper cans. :)

kylej

Banned
hey buddy^^^

Picked her up yesterday. Pictures taken right before I frantically rushed the bike into cover as a huge lighting bolt struck across the sky and rain started pouring down.

The bike is pretty filthy right now; the amount of dust on the Termi exhausts would make some old Duc guys cry.

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

In the second pic you can kinda see the little Italian flag sewn into the right side of the Sargent seat. I feel like I should speak to it with an Italian accent.

^ Awesome. You'll have a lot of power at your disposal with that 4valved engine. It looks great as well. I've never seen those radiator covers before though, are you leaving those on?

Flo_Evans said:
I dunno, I find myself wanting smaller and smaller bikes.

I started on monster 750, went down to a single cylinder 650, for my next bike I want a 400 I think. I am enjoying more and more technical trails riding though!

Of course, but you have a specific application in mind and for that lighter is definitely better in every way (also more fun). And the kind of bikes you're buying don't skimp on equipment like tires/brakes/suspension etc.

Before I ever got a motorcycle I learned on my friends 250 rebel. It did have shit brakes and tires... Gummed up carbs, stupid geometry... But to someone used to pedal power it was a mean machine ;)

Nice terimigonis btw, I could never afford to give my monster the proper cans. :)

Understandable, it really was an unreasonable amount of money to spend on the bike. Sadly there was no alternative since it's the only set to come with the proper ECU unit (that gets the bike running right).

I do manage to feel it was sort of worth the money though, it definitely feels less high strung now (it was running far too lean) and the sound is incredible. Literally twice as much fun to ride now.

dubc35

hola 2 wheel gaf!

I'm sure this has (maybe?) been discussed here. I searched but didn't find anything. Does anyone in the US know where TT3D: Closer To The Edge is playing? (Trailer) Or if/when it is coming out on DVD? I can't seem to find anything on their website or googling. Thanks!

operon

dubc35 said:
hola 2 wheel gaf!

I'm sure this has (maybe?) been discussed here. I searched but didn't find anything. Does anyone in the US know where TT3D: Closer To The Edge is playing? (Trailer) Or if/when it is coming out on DVD? I can't seem to find anything on their website or googling. Thanks!

That film is amazing , you must see this and in 3d Guy Martin is fantastic

Fallout-NL said:
@Soapster: that driving schools supplies those BWM S1000s? Very nice, great bike huh? That power curve is almost linear with that quick shifter :D.

As for my own bike, recently I finally mounted the exhaust system it deserves. It sounds fucking awesome now.

Yeah it's a great track bike. Its power would be a little bit iffy on the street, though I'm sure I could make it work (just a gear or two lower than normal hehe). I'm getting my Civic a hitch this weekend, and soon to follow a small motorcycle trailer (weighs <200 lbs, bike is 460 or so). Looking at the Stinger trailer. I think it's the best option. I have a set of tie downs and canyon dancers on the way, too.

Love the Monster.

daw840

Coins said:
Oops!

Its a 2011 Harley-Davidson Iron 883.

A few people told me that its too big to start off on and to go get a 250 first. Im unable to take the safety course this summer due to work but Harley did give me the manual that they use at the safety course. I did the drills in a parking lot for most of a day and then used what I learned on the side streets in my neighborhood. Once I got bored of the side streets I moved up to the main roads and then the smaller highways. Ive yet to tackle the freeway. I have yet to even almost drop the bike. Im glad I went with the bigger engine because on the smaller highways its nice to have that power when its needed.

Anyway, I absolutely LOVE my bike now. If I dont take it to work, I get home, shower and get right on. I have over 300 miles on it now and Im totally hooked.
Imo, that sportster is a pretty good starter. Even though its made by an overpriced clothing company that makes motorcycles on the side. :p

thesoapster said:
Yeah it's a great track bike. Its power would be a little bit iffy on the street, though I'm sure I could make it work (just a gear or two lower than normal hehe). I'm getting my Civic a hitch this weekend, and soon to follow a small motorcycle trailer (weighs <200 lbs, bike is 460 or so). Looking at the Stinger trailer. I think it's the best option. I have a set of tie downs and canyon dancers on the way, too.

Losing my license would not be a problem even in first gear I reckon :p. I guess that's why I love my Monster so much. Gobs of power, but speeds remain relatively civil.

Love the Monster.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
No thread on gaf has ever made me wish I was out of school and had a job as much as this does.

God
damnit
you guys with your bikes :(

*dreams of the wind gently caressing my body*

Corky said:
No thread on gaf has ever made me wish I was out of school and had a job as much as this does.

God
damnit

Don't worry, I don't have a real job either. It's simply all the money I've managed to scrape together over the years in the odd jobs I worked next to studying. Never had to spend anything on smokes or alcohol either, probably saved a good chunk of money there. No savings though, pretty much all gone.

Nander

Corky said:

God
damnit

I'm still in school and I have a bike. I don't know what it's like where you live, but in my country any vehicle that's older than 20 years is regarded as an "enthusiast vehicle" = insurance is virtually free (not really, but I pay less than $150/year in insurance) and no taxes.

I drive a '87 Yamaha SRX600, and in my opinion its looks still hold up pretty damn well. Cheap bike, cheap insurance, just as much fun. :)

Flo_Evans

RapidCancel said:
Hope it's ok to link to this. First trackday and almost wrecked. The first 7 pics in this gallery are of me running into the gravel at one of the turns. Target fixation...someone on the side caught my eye and I went straight into the gravel. Got lucky and somehow saved it even though I was tipping over.

http://www.hart-photography.com/photocart/index.php?viewGallery=6420&do=photocart
That 1st pic is badass. You can kind of tell the photographer was hoping for a spectacular crash...I think you need a Dirtbike ;)

Flo_Evans

nJIF3.jpg

KTM 990 adventure s... yes please

SZDib.jpg

BMW R80/7

pvwbd.jpg

Yamaha FZR

Gttzr.jpg

BMW K1200 brembos

JLtuC.jpg

Triumph dip switches

QukGy.jpg

This might be expired

QLA0a.jpg

New rear brakes for my bike

wt3Js.jpg

Cool scoot

I71sB.jpg

Nice GSXR

Hmde4.jpg

lol

Dahellisdat you should ride up there some Wednesday

Damaged

Well its an awesome day here so that means an extra few miles on the bike on the way home :) got a new mount for my bullet camera so hopefully will post some on board footage soon :)

RapidCancel said:
Hope it's ok to link to this. First trackday and almost wrecked. The first 7 pics in this gallery are of me running into the gravel at one of the turns. Target fixation...someone on the side caught my eye and I went straight into the gravel. Got lucky and somehow saved it even though I was tipping over.

http://www.hart-photography.com/photocart/index.php?viewGallery=6420&do=photocart

Nice save on that one man, could have been expensive :)

Edit:

Well that was a fun ride home, did and extra 30 miles and managed to get the bike airborne at about 90 by accident lol, scared the life out of me but was awesome at the same time :)

Ill post some pointless pics as well:
DSC_1017.jpg

Managed to use pretty much all the tyre and a little bit of sidewall
DSC_1018.jpg

Got to mount this on the next run, looks like it will go on the front wheel hugger looking over the front tyre
DSC_1024.jpg

I've been putting my bike through its paces now that the constant rain has gone away. Saturday-Monday I clocked about 300KM and could have done more if not for the fact that my buddy has a beginners license and has to be in before sunset.

Trying to convince my friend to sell his 1969 Yamaha XS650 to me so I can work on it over the winter and have it ready for next season. Damn summer has made him hesitant.

Top Bottom