• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Soap I'm home on transfer leave and I hope you're getting as much use out of this global warming as I am. Hadn't been able to ride for weeks up in NY, absolutely gorgeous down here.

Riding this weekend for sure :)

Saturday has a chance of rain, but it will be mid 60s...will probably chance it! If you're around Frederick then and feel like riding send me a PM beforehand and maybe we could meet up.

Got close to 60F today. Had a few corners that went very nicely :)

I've replaced my jacket and main helmet. The former because it became too big (going to sell it), the latter because I was bothered by a number of things, but mainly its stability at speed.

The helmet that is now my spare - Arai Profile

6745815543_442042f2bb_b.jpg

New helmet - Arai Corsair V

New jacket - Alpinestars Atem

I've tried on so many helmets by now, with so many that did not fit right. I'm on the smaller end of large, head shape I don't really know...some type of intermediate like the majority of people. Have tried or owned - Shoei RF1000, RF1100, X-Eleven, X-Twelve, Qwest; Shark RSR2, Race-R Pro; AGV GP-Tech; Bell Star Carbon; Nexx XR1R Carbon; OGK FF5V; every Arai model...too bad we don't have X-Lite or Airoh helmets.

The Profile had some fit characteristics that were not as ideal, but I could certainly make it work there. The aerodynamics department suffered greatly, though, compared to most helmets I've ridden in. Maybe it was due to the slightly less than ideal fit. I don't know. Either way, the Corsair fits better and more appropriately, I think because it's supposed to be a little rounder.

The jacket is replacing another Alpinestars one - the Tech 1-R, which is a great jacket, by the way. It's just on its way out. The waist was way too big, and it fit too big everywhere even with the full back protector and chest armor inserted. The Atem is actually the same tag size but the cut is 100% different - very much form fitting and a nice update for sure. Now to get the old one sold...

The mass production bikes.

For as much as I've been around the 1190rs, I'm so much more excited to check out the mass production stuff.

Yes I'm interested to see the scaled down version compared to say...the new BMW HP4. When you say "been around" the 1190rs, have you actually seen one up close and/or ridden one?

HylianTom

Banned
Got my Scrambler this weekend. I've been riding on and off all weekend.

I. Love. It.

I can tell that this'll likely be the bike I keep for a few decades.

The Arrow 2-to-1 exhaust is still en route; I'll have it installed at the first scheduled maintenance, likely within a month or so.

Late night edit:
did another ride tonight. Still love this bike. The city pretty much shuts-down when the Saints are on TV (even when they're having a suck-ass season), so I spent most of the game riding all over town. Such a gorgeous day for a ride. My Dad's gonna freak out when he finds out.

I really wanted the matte green (2012), so they had to do a transfer from another dealer. That cost me a few hundred bucks. Also added a few accessories - skid plate, engine dresser bars, locking fuel cap, and passenger grab bar. But - the one remaining green bike that they found to transfer to my local shop came with the mirror upgrade, and a tachometer.. but they didn't charge me the usual $300 for those items.

I'm already looking for excuses to get out and go from point A to point B. When the weather is good once again, I might have to take a ride out into the swamp to visit family. :)

DrBo42

Awesome choice! You will not be disappointed. First order of business is some after market pipes - take a look at the Predators over at British Customs.

Exactly what I've been looking at. After about 600 miles on it (mostly freeway) my most needed upgrade right now is a windshield methinks. Anyone have some recommendations? Thinking about some Norman Hyde M bars and some bar end mirrors as well. Didn't think the seat would be as comfortable as it is so that can wait a bit.

What's everyone think of buying a new bike as your first? Assuming money here isn't an issue.
I can't speak for those that have bought used but for me breaking in a new bike is so damn awesome.

Stronty

What's everyone think of buying a new bike as your first? Assuming money here isn't an issue.

NO problem at all if you have taken MSF and did well and rode a friends bike a couple of times and were comfortable. Smaller and mid size bikes would be the best choice for a new rider IMO. There are many low mileage used bike out there that are almost new, many buy and really arent suited or capable of riding a bike. A coworker bought his wife a new sportster and she only put 800 miles on it before it was sold.

Watevaman

In contrast to those above, I think it's pretty stupid but I'm not completely against it. Money may not be an issue now, but a newer bike ceteris paribus will always cost more. As soon as you walk off the lot (even with a Ninja 250), there's 1/4 of a value gone. As soon as you drop it and have to order a replacement part, it's going to be more expensive. When you go to insure it, it's going to be more expensive.

I'd say buy used, and use the money you save to get good gear and buy some aftermarket parts to really make the bike yours.

DrBo42

In contrast to those above, I think it's pretty stupid but I'm not completely against it. Money may not be an issue now, but a newer bike ceteris paribus will always cost more. As soon as you walk off the lot (even with a Ninja 250), there's 1/4 of a value gone. As soon as you drop it and have to order a replacement part, it's going to be more expensive. When you go to insure it, it's going to be more expensive.

I'd say buy used, and use the money you save to get good gear and buy some aftermarket parts to really make the bike yours.

These are all valid points.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.

Within an hour of picking up my first shiny, sexy, dent free bike... I dropped it. It wasn't my wallet that was hurt, it was my heart.

Watevaman

Yeah, dropping a bike another reason people buy used. Something about a bike you haven't used from the get-go being easier to stomach when it gets dropped.

I dropped my bike just the other day in the garage. Came home from a ride, was putting it on the centerstand and I had it a bit off balance and it just fell. Luckily there weren't many scratches, but damned if I wasn't pissed at myself.

TomServo

Stupid, especially considering that the used market is flooded with low-mileage starter bikes since everyone is "ready" to "move up" after a month. For example, I bought my Ninja 250R with 255 (yes, two hundred and fifty five) miles on it.

It's a hell of a lot easier though; trolling CL for weeks looking for a good buy, having to have thousands of dollars of cash on hand so you can immediately pull the trigger, and going to look at bikes that somehow go from pristine to beat-all-to-shit in the time it takes to meet up with the seller can be draining.

Agree with the above. It's worth it, but it can be a pain.

For the first bike I would not be overly concerned with finding something pristine. "Ride-able" is the main qualifier :)

Watevaman

Agree with the above. It's worth it, but it can be a pain.

For the first bike I would not be overly concerned with finding something pristine. "Ride-able" is the main qualifier :)

This, and if at all possible, bring someone knowledgeable about bikes and mechanics of the engine with you.

Even with my uncle (who's been riding for a long time), I still ended up with problems with my bike. One key thing I can bring away from my experience is smell the oil. Mine had gas in it, I didn't know, went to change it, stripped exhaust bolts, had to take the engine apart, etc. All of this could've been avoided if I knew the bike had a problem with gas getting into the oil in the first place.

Longshot

Stupid, especially considering that the used market is flooded with low-mileage starter bikes since everyone is "ready" to "move up" after a month. For example, I bought my Ninja 250R with 255 (yes, two hundred and fifty five) miles on it.

It's a hell of a lot easier though; trolling CL for weeks looking for a good buy, having to have thousands of dollars of cash on hand so you can immediately pull the trigger, and going to look at bikes that somehow go from pristine to beat-all-to-shit in the time it takes to meet up with the seller can be draining.

Within an hour of picking up my first shiny, sexy, dent free bike... I dropped it. It wasn't my wallet that was hurt, it was my heart.

NO problem at all if you have taken MSF and did well and rode a friends bike a couple of times and were comfortable. Smaller and mid size bikes would be the best choice for a new rider IMO. There are many low mileage used bike out there that are almost new, many buy and really arent suited or capable of riding a bike. A coworker bought his wife a new sportster and she only put 800 miles on it before it was sold.

It's awesome.

My first bike was a new Ducati Monster 620i.e. ('05 model).
Thanks for the quick replies guys!

Still not sure what to do here, I was planning on an old Ninja 250 as my first bike but Kawasaki just released the new Ninja 300 at a pretty good price here ($6300 AUD) but that obviously doesn't include rego, insurance and gear etc.

I'm really keen on the extra bit of power, fuel injection and other little things they added to it as I was planning on holding onto it for a while.

I'll have to think about it a bit more I think.

Watevaman

Australia limits beginners to certain displacements, right? I think I've heard the GS500 can be used by beginners, and if you're looking for a bit more power than a 250 that would do it.

TomServo

Still not sure what to do here, I was planning on an old Ninja 250 as my first bike but Kawasaki just released the new Ninja 300 at a pretty good price here ($6300 AUD) but that obviously doesn't include rego, insurance and gear etc.

The Ninja 300 is better than the 250 in every way, and I say that as someone who kept his 250 (and still rides it) after they bought a bigger bike.

Right now you just have to pay stupid money for them, as they're brand new and dealers aren't budging on the price and all of their fees (at least not in the US).

You say money isn't an issue. If I was in your shoes *and* I assumed I'd keep the 300 even after I bought a bigger bike, I'd pull back a little on the "buying new is stupid" stance. One of the main benefits to buying used is not taking it in the shorts when you sell it... take that part out of the equation and it things change a bit.

benzy

I'm really keen on the extra bit of power, fuel injection and other little things they added to it as I was planning on holding onto it for a while.

If you're willing to wait till 2013, honda will be releasing their new CBR500r. Seems good for beginners but with more power than the 300. In terms of styling, i might like it more than the 300 too. MSRP is around $1000 more than the ninja 300.

Honda-CBR500R-2L.jpg

CBR500R_HONDA-1247.jpg

LOL, same exact thing happened to me. I got home with my brand new bike and was so excited that I got it that I forgot to put the kickstand down when I got off. It hurt soooo bad.

Get used if you can, then sell it and get what you really want. Think of it as a stepping stone to help get your footing.

Or just buy a new bike and be awesome instead.

Wtf is with everyone here dropping their rides? Haha :D

/edit: I'm just messing around though, nothing wrong with a used low mileage bike. Things do get a little risky with an older high mileage purchase. Bikes tend to have a history in most cases (case in point here with pretty much everyone admitting to fucking dropping such a prized possession). A bent frame for instance can be hard to spot when you're a novice. But it's not something you want to learn on.

Other things to look out for:

Make sure the brake pads are fresh and OE. Same goes for the tires (get some new rubber if the tires are worn, don't cheap out on them either. Most important part of any bike).

iamblades

Got a pair of termignonis installed on my monster just in time for winter, lol.

Just got back from the last long ride of the year probably, an awesome hilly windy road in a state forest, saw a giant raven and some pheasants i think.

The steep downhills are still really sketchy feeling for me, just pop it into low gear and crawl down the steep bits. But going up is so much fun :D

No guardrails, damp road surface and steep dropoff into the top of some trees on the other side doesn't help with the confidence of course.

TCRS

Banned
Wtf is with everyone here dropping their rides? Haha :D

I've only dropped mine once. That was on the third day after I got the bike (almost brand new CBF125, had only 400 miles on the clock, but got it £500 cheaper than brand new :D). It was raining and I wasn't used to the bulky rain gear so I dropped it while trying to get on it. I don't think anyone saw .. Only got a few scratches on the wing mirror and handlebar weight.

Just got back from the last long ride of the year probably, an awesome hilly windy road in a state forest, saw a giant raven and some pheasants i think.

I loved riding in the winter around the countryside in Surrey (Box Hill etc). There is a serene beauty to it and you see more of the countryside with the less vegetation. It's beautiful.

I was an all weather rider, but mainly due to uni. Which wasn't a big problem, because I lived in a suburb of London and the uni was in the city.

I miss my bike :/

Kaze13

There is a serious lack of gear pics in this thread...

This is my favorite helmet thus far. Sadly, I let my cousin borrow it and not the face shield and side pod are missing because he was being dumb.

I wanted the euro spec version (lighter version) but I could not get a hold of one:

I'm sad that OGK did not catch on. Now Shoei copied their design :(

There is a serious lack of gear pics in this thread...

This is my favorite helmet thus far. Sadly, I let my cousin borrow it and not the face shield and side pod are missing because he was being dumb.

I wanted the euro spec version (lighter version) but I could not get a hold of one:

I'm sad that OGK did not catch on. Now Shoei copied their design :(

The FF5V is supposed to be decent http://www.moto-works.jp/ogk/index.html. The friend I ride with has one. But of course that one meets SNELL M2010. I do like the look of some of the current patterns.

ravien56

For my first bike, I ended up getting a ninja 400r brand new and at the time of purchase, I always thought I would keep it for a few years. Within a couple of months I wanted to upgrade. I still have the bike however. Got it back in May. Going to sell it in the spring and upgrade to a 600. I wish now I just got a used one and saved the cash as the new bike in Canada ended up costing about 8k after taxes. The bike itself was fine. Had enough power but after riding my dad's bike and at my work they had a mv f3 that I got to demo, it just didn't seem to have enough power . good luck with your bike purchase though, that first bike ride home was the best.

ch0mp

So I just bought my first bike on friday. Here she is:

IEDBa.jpg

Went out for a quick ride today, just up and down a court to settle my nerves, then around the block. So good.

Got my Scrambler this weekend. I've been riding on and off all weekend.

I. Love. It.

I love all the classic triumphs. The scrambler is interesting. It's got the same engine as the bonneville and thruxton but with a 270 degree firing order. According to the specs, it's got more low end torque. Going by youtube, I like its exhaust note better than the 360 degree engines. Did you test ride both ? Can you feel a difference in the power curve ?
Do you have to worry about that high mounted exhaust burning you ?

I'd love to customize my own classic triumph. I know they're not about speed, but I'd put some money into engine work. I think the factory makes all kinds of goodies including a big bore/stroker kit.

Watevaman

Not sure about 17, but I rode in to work the other day in ~28 degree weather. Wasn't too bad. Only thing I think I'd want more of is glove wind protection. No fairings = damn cold hands with ventilated gloves.

Longshot

Thanks for the replies so far guys, but I have another question: What do you think of KTMs? My mates seem pretty keen on the dirt.

spink

2 min into a 20 min fwy commute a bee deflected off my left shoulder and cannoned, stinger first into my neck yesterday.
stung like a bitch!!

Sinner

Banned
I've been lurking this forum for quite some time. I guess it's time I revealed myself. This my 2012 GSXR-1000 I bought new last year.

ulwYB.jpg

I'll post more pictures once spring hits.

I've been lurking this forum for quite some time. I guess it's time I revealed myself. This my 2012 GSXR-1000 I bought new last year.

ulwYB.jpg

I'll post more pictures once spring hits.

hey cool. I've never gotten a chance to ride something this powerful. how many miles do you have on it?

Top Bottom