• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

demented

Been thinking about selling my gladius and not upgrading to other bike like I planned, getting really hard to justify paying 1 month of average wage here just to register and insure the bike and then have ~7 months to drive with all the other expenses of life, and not including tyres, service etc :/

Maybe its all this cold weather and rain thats depressing me but gotta think straight before emotions take over when riding season starts.

I'm going to tint the headlight black, get fender eliminator kit and maybe swap the brake and clutch levers with performance grade ones.

Nice :) ... yeah the clicker adjuster levers are a nice addition. If your rearsets (I know GSX-R offers some level of customization) are not quite right those might be worth a look as well for comfort and grip. Also, suspension set up is not so much a mod (adjustment I suppose), but it's probably the most important IMO.

So any of you in colder areas have the balls to go out yet? I'm really itching to go out, I still have to get insurance back on it so I've been holding off. I wish it was warm enough to drive more, I always wish I could ride it to my new job. :(

jadedm17

Thanks guys. :D I took the safety course late last summer, and have all of my gear, so I'm definitely doing what I can to err on the safe side.

I'll definitely be spending some time practicing my skills before I'm out on normal roads. Can't wait.

Hey, you're me 2 years ago, awesome. A great, just fun to ride bike, really helps get the basics down. I'm six feet and it had plenty of power for highway trips. That said : Everyone else will be driving like assholes, they're the ones to worry about.

Have fun be safe. :)

So any of you in colder areas have the balls to go out yet? I'm really itching to go out, I still have to get insurance back on it so I've been holding off. I wish it was warm enough to drive more, I always wish I could ride it to my new job. :(

Not at all. (Buffalo, NY) Though I'll admit we had a nice day last week where I saw a few. Thats not happening now, we're easily 30 degrees colder this week. So so cold.

Hey, you're me 2 years ago, awesome. A great, just fun to ride bike, really helps get the basics down. I'm six feet and it had plenty of power for highway trips. That said : Everyone else will be driving like assholes, they're the ones to worry about.

Have fun be safe. :)

Not at all. (Buffalo, NY) Though I'll admit we had a nice day last week where I saw a few. Thats not happening now, we're easily 30 degrees colder this week. So so cold.

Same here, I'm not that far north (closer to NYC) but last week or so it got to like the 50s and I was tempted (Almost put down the top on my car too) but decided against it. Now, it's really cold again but I still want to go out. :(

Watevaman

I don't go out for long rides, but I have been to work on a few 25 mornings. Only thing I need is a better set of winter gloves, as everything else stays pretty warm for the 30 minutes it takes me to get there.

Yesterday it was 50 and I went for a ~3 hour ride.

I don't go out for long rides, but I have been to work on a few 25 mornings. Only thing I need is a better set of winter gloves, as everything else stays pretty warm for the 30 minutes it takes me to get there.

Yesterday it was 50 and I went for a ~3 hour ride.

Nice, I'm jealous. I have to take a couple congested highways to work which I don't like to chance on a motorcycle and I have to wear a suit so it's hard to get away with riding my bike. :(

Dougald

I've been riding the ST1100 all winter (except this week, I won't ride in snow/ice) and all that fairing / heated grips really helps

Mind you I won't look down on anyone for waiting until it gets a bit warmer. I took the Bonneville for a quick run 2 weeks ago and it was a *very* painful experience!

Watevaman

I imagine I wouldn't be riding to work if I had to actually wear a suit or something, as that would make layering a bitch unless I changed at work.

And yeah, no fairings/windshield isn't fun in general. My GS has neither and I'm learning to hate long periods of high speeds because the buffeting.

Dougald

I don't think I've seen many GS' without screens - most people around here seem to use them as long distance commuting tools though.

I have to say I tried the GS 1200 last year and it is an absolutely fantastic bike, I can see why its so popular

Watevaman

Sorry, I meant GS500.

gs50048jh0.jpg

Dougald

Ah the GS500 - I have find memories of that, I learnt to ride on a CG125 (which I hated), and was thinking of giving up until they put me on one of those, somehow everything just clicked and it was the first time I really enjoyed biking

..but yes, bloody cold in the winter I'm sure!

demented

Man, I've been looking at BMW S1000RR lately and that bike makes me feel strange things, want it badly :[
Fuck all reason, gonna be my #1 pick for next bike in case I actually manage to find it, then Ducati 1098/1198 (would treat it like Ferrari, drive slow as fuck and fap to it from window), then more sensible choices Ducati 848(sensible and ducati lol), Triumph Daytona 675, Suzuki GSXR750, and if I manage to not find any of those backup are all 600ccs.

Fuck yeah, can't wait for shitty winter to end and rains to stop, selling my bike asap and buying new one, rawr.

(in before all these feelings and hype fade away in a week)

Watevaman

I'm the same way but damn if I don't have to hold off until I'm done with school in a few years. I'm still kicking myself for missing the Z1000 that was on CL earlier this year but that was much better for my safety, heh.

demented

Didn't even take a week ha, am I bipolar or what.
Anyway after some thinking for my situation, which is day to day stuff, city riding, some fun in the mountains but usually 2/3 lane roads, no highways, no tracks, sometimes crappy road quality and low speed limits and the extra cost, I don't think 1k cc is justifiable. It is when you're not buying it out of logical reason but by heart, and god I would do that but maybe give 600cc a go first and then after a year or two if I want more then I can go..

It's just the damn rain that makes me depressed and wishing I could ride anything, and that damn bmw (and my old love ducati) is so damn perfect :(
plus posting when I'm tired and brain not functioning 100% heh, I'm so easily hyped up over things I want and I overreact then after a day or two I give it some thought and all comes to place, except I can't delete my post or unsay what I told to people lol.

demented, I do not recall and I cannot tell for sure...are you a newer rider (I know you said you have a bike now, but I don't remember which)? If not...

1000s are much better street bikes than 600s. The extra midrange (and in some cases low end) really makes a big difference.

Sinner

Banned
Sinner, that is a very nice looking bike.. what about a side profile photo. MHW

zXPuytd.jpg

That's pretty much it for pictures. I didn't take a lot when I got the bike.
Because I was riding a lot.
More will come this spring/summer.

demented, I do not recall and I cannot tell for sure...are you a newer rider (I know you said you have a bike now, but I don't remember which)? If not...

1000s are much better street bikes than 600s. The extra midrange (and in some cases low end) really makes a big difference.

What is this shit? They are two different engine displacements. Not comparable at all.

demented

Not counting scooters I have 3, going in 4 year exp now and my current bike is suzuki gladius.
I'm getting different opinions on that and all sort of information so I dont know what to think now. I still have at least a month before weather starts getting better and I start looking for a new bike so I have until then to get informed about everything.
One place says 600 have better mpg, other 1000, one place say 1000 is too twitchy in the city, too powerful, other say its perfect due to grunt et etc

I posted what kind of riding I do in previous post, and I know sport bike isnt best choice for it but it's the only kind I want, not as much for the speed and top of the line performance but I like the looks of them, idea behind them, quality, style of ridingetc. I do like the speed too but there arent enough places here to take advantage of it, except extra power when overtaking, that I always love. I know I'll never push it to the max but can still enjoy it in twisties, and at low speed ones I worry 1k cc would be too much, both power and extra weight.

Maybe some day they'll even build a track here, heard some talk, maybe I invest into making one down the road, I know theres big market and with right business idea and some more investors... Mm :)

Edit: at sinner: dafuq, you've got a plane, or two?:D

Not counting scooters I have 3, going in 4 year exp now and my current bike is suzuki gladius.
I'm getting different opinions on that and all sort of information so I dont know what to think now. I still have at least a month before weather starts getting better and I start looking for a new bike so I have until then to get informed about everything.
One place says 600 have better mpg, other 1000, one place say 1000 is too twitchy in the city, too powerful, other say its perfect due to grunt et etc

I posted what kind of riding I do in previous post, and I know sport bike isnt best choice for it but it's the only kind I want, not as much for the speed and performance but I just like the looks of them, idea behind them etc. I know I'll never push it to the max but can still enjoy it in twisties, and at low speed ones I worry 1k cc would be too much, both power and extra weight.

Maybe some day they'll even build a track here, heard some talk, maybe I invest into making one down the road, I know theres big market... Mm :)

Edit: at sinner: dafuq, you've got a plane, or two?:D

I wouldn't say all 1000s are going to be too twitchy. That's more a matter of fueling I'd think. The Ducati is not a bad bike per se, but it's going to be the biggest headache and is the least comfortable in the class. On the other hand, the S1000RR is pretty plush to me as far as sportbikes go. It will not have the Ducati's low/lower-mid power, but the 1198 is known for being wheelie happy...almost to its detriment! Truthfully if I was going to buy a new sportbike right now I don't think I'd go for any other option than the S1000RR. But I also plan on shifting my riding even more towards the track. No track time would probably push me more towards the Aprilia Tuono V4R.

demented

Im gonna test some bikes as soon as weather brightens up, no dealership test rides here so gonna have to befriend some people or talk to some old friends. I have a lot to think about, I'll talk to some more experienced riders from here too and then make an order when I'm 100% sure about what kind of bike I want. Think main thing i need to do is test few of them and get a feel for it, if its something im comfortable with etc.

And randomness plays a role in my choice too because since Im importing a bike I might not be able to find my first choice or 2nd and for the right price but we'll see, shouldnt even be thinking about this at 6 am -_-

Oh and another thing I havent given much thought(some that swayed me toward 600) is maintenance and upkeep of them. Ducati's gonna be more expensive right of the bat, I live close to Italy tho so cheaper parts yey(or not, expensive there too heh), read bmw uses some expensive tires and gotta change them often, same for belt etc, need to look into this. While I did come about some extra money now that is gonna help me get new bike when I sell this one, I'm not rich so maintenance cost and fuel should be considered.
600 was plan from getgo but all this bmw stuff clouded my head, all the blood drains from my brain when zi look at videos of it haha

All those bikes are probably fantastic.

I've only ridden the S1000RR, which was - fucking - incredible.

But if I was spending that much I'd make damn sure to have tested every option :). The S1000 might be the best, but odds are you'll have more fun or more of a connection with one of the other bikes. For me, for instance, the Ducati twin characteristics make pretty compelling arguments.

Difference in maintenance cost will most likely be negligible.

demented

I've had some revelations at just before falling asleep moment, will post what I'm thinking tomorrow, ipad in bed ftw.
Also sorry for turning this into livejournal thread, me being tired and rambling is worse than when I'm drunk.

Edit: After waking up I just ended up having more questions sigh, I'll ride both then decide, the only way.
Edit: I need to stop overthinking things, back to main plan. 1000 down the road, ducati 848/750gsxr/Daytona675 top 3 and we'll see how it goes.

I've had some revelations at just before falling asleep moment, will post what I'm thinking tomorrow, ipad in bed ftw.
Also sorry for turning this into livejournal thread, me being tired and rambling is worse than when I'm drunk.

Edit: After waking up I just ended up having more questions sigh, I'll ride both then decide, the only way.
Edit: I need to stop overthinking things, back to main plan. 1000 down the road, ducati 848/750gsxr/Daytona675 top 3 and we'll see how it goes.

Just make sure you understand that 'even' the 848, 750GSXR and Daytona675 are quite a bit faster than the Gladius you've got at the moment :D.

demented

Indeed, I almost bought R1 and cbr1000rr (good deals) at some points so I did ride them, I also had cbr600rr (03) for some time but had issues with it (long story).
I just don't consider those worthy enough to say I have experience with them.

Rain stopped but it's still wet, says from 26 on it will be sunny so we'll see! But february has snow forecasted qq

Indeed, I almost bought R1 and cbr1000rr (good deals) at some points so I did ride them, I also had cbr600rr (03) for some time but had issues with it (long story).
I just don't consider those worthy enough to say I have experience with them.

Rain stopped but it's still wet, says from 26 on it will be sunny so we'll see! But february has snow forecasted qq

Speaking about the CBR1000RR, I happened to watch this last night. Pretty amusing. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkZQ80FaV-k

Watevaman

My GS cost me 800 with its problems and even fixing it it's probably got less than 2k in it. But dual sports are usually more expensive.

Flo_Evans

What's up guys, long time no talk. Hope I'm still not the only DS'er haha
Recent pics (click for full-size):

And here's a really cool 360 degree panorama of the riding right behind my house:
http://360.io/sNYmbs

Man that is an awesome looking area to ride!

Havent been on the bike much, weather is shit and I am real busy with 2nd kid weeks away...

//B1G

Banned
Just pulled the rear shock out of mine and replaced it with a fairly new but used one I bought locally for $50. It was surprisingly easy actually, it was a quicker process than I thought it'd be.

That's the old one. You can see all the oil that's leaked out, it was completely blown.

demented

I was just wondering what do you guys do with your bikes during winter, if you live in an area where you can't drive it due to cold/snow/rain?

Also asking for best thing for my case which is: here it gets cold but not unreasonably, I can ride it unless it's raining or windy which it is often during winter. At the moment I start the bike 2-3 times a month and then ride it for 30 min or so. I know for proper storage you'd need to use tender for battery, top fuel and use something in it etc etc but I do not have a garage or a private place to keep it at so I keep it in a neighbor building garage which is semi-private, it has a gate but anyone can still walk in. So I'm not sure if I'm doing it OK because I don't want to damage the bike in any way.

How often should I be running it, more often or can I do it even less (doubt it less than 2 really)? Any other tips?

Top Bottom