• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

daw840

Finished building my motorized bike!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/piggus/96C2F311-8A49-4621-A06F-60FF6A719C91-3732-000000D8C9696867.jpg[IMG]

Runs really well for the most part. Just need to fine tune some things.[/QUOTE]

Hit the NOS!!! But not too soon!

Dougald

Those wheels really do complete the look

Are you able to use that on the road over there without pretending that it's a normal bike whenever you see a police car?

Piggus

Hit the NOS!!! But not too soon!

Hahaha. That thing sort if acts like a small supercharger but it's main purpose is to just keep the engine running a little smoother. You actually can buy NOS kits for these engines but I'm not sure how well they work. :p

Those wheels really do complete the look

Are you able to use that on the road over there without pretending that it's a normal bike whenever you see a police car?

Legal to ride on the road as a normal bike but technically illegal on roads while the engine is running. I don't plan on riding it around town though. Mostly just on the back roads near my house. ;p I bought a smaller chain ring to make it easier to pedal around.

Work of art I must say. Any chance we could get a video of it running?

Will do in a few days when my headlight and helmet arrives.

daw840

Hahaha. That thing sort if acts like a small supercharger but it's main purpose is to just keep the engine running a little smoother. You actually can buy NOS kits for these engines but I'm not sure how well they work.

What exactly is it?

daw840

Most of my childhood was on dirtbikes and what not and I rode for 2 yrs off and on as my daily.

I heard nothing but great things about the performance of it.
You should be fine. I just hesitate to recommend those bikes to low experience riders. That's how people die.

Sarcasm

What's the cheapest road legal Scooter? Like, under 1k. I see there are crappy foreign manufacturers out there.

Can you get Kymco? Its really not a shitty manu..I own the GP 125CC..thing is awesome.

Though I drive in dense traffic where your allowed to split lanes (as in drive between cars) and on the side.

dorkimoe

Thinking about taking a class they provide in my area that teaches you the basics and you can get your license through it without taking the DMV test.

I'm scared because I have never driven a manual anything or riden a bike

Thinking about taking a class they provide in my area that teaches you the basics and you can get your license through it without taking the DMV test.

I'm scared because I have never driven a manual anything or riden a bike

Never ridden a bike...like a bicycle? Or did you mean a motorcycle?

Not knowing how to drive a manual is not really an issue, they'll ease you into that during the class. It's basically the first thing they teach you. I've had friends that didn't know how to drive manual learn how to ride motorcycles.

If you've never ridden a bicycle, then I suggest you learn. It's more helpful than anything.

dorkimoe

Never ridden a bike...like a bicycle? Or did you mean a motorcycle?

Not knowing how to drive a manual is not really an issue, they'll ease you into that during the class. It's basically the first thing they teach you. I've had friends that didn't know how to drive manual learn how to ride motorcycles.

If you've never ridden a bicycle, then I suggest you learn. It's more helpful than anything.

sorry yes motorcycle lol. I've ridden bicycle..a bunch.

All this shifting stuff confuses me, but I suppose that is what they will focus on. And for 20$..and a bike to learn on

sorry yes motorcycle lol. I've ridden bicycle..a bunch.

All this shifting stuff confuses me, but I suppose that is what they will focus on. And for 20$..and a bike to learn on

Only $20??? That's a steal. I just signed up my girlfriend for hers and it costs $190. Is this the MSF course?

Dougald

Riding a motorcycle isn't really that much like driving a car.. sure both require clutch control but I essentially had to gain a whole new set of motor skills to operate the clutch with my hand when I was learning.

Manuals are talked up to be some scary thing by you guys across the pond, but nearly everyone over here has one. If the average little old British lady can handle a clutch (okay maybe that ones debatable, you get the point), you will be able to :)

daw840

Riding a motorcycle isn't really that much like driving a car.. sure both require clutch control but I essentially had to gain a whole new set of motor skills to operate the clutch with my hand when I was learning.

Manuals are talked up to be some scary thing by you guys across the pond, but nearly everyone over here has one. If the average little old British lady can handle a clutch (okay maybe that ones debatable, you get the point), you will be able to :)

Hell...my parents made sure I could drive a clutch when I was learning to drive. I don't understand all of the people over here who have never learned.

Dougald

Hell...my parents made sure I could drive a clutch when I was learning to drive. I don't understand all of the people over here who have never learned.

Heh, up until late last year I'd never driven an automatic in my life. The only advantage is it stops my left foot from going numb when stuck in traffic!

$20 seems like a steal, even if you hate it you'll barely be out anything. Cost me £1000 to get my license.

dorkimoe

Yeah, I agree. I would have loved to learn on a manual. But it was something that wasn't as common anymore, and living in a city we just never had one.

Ok that old lady comment makes sense...if everyone over the pond can do it, I should be able to haha

Heh, up until late last year I'd never driven an automatic in my life. The only advantage is it stops my left foot from going numb when stuck in traffic!

$20 seems like a steal, even if you hate it you'll barely be out anything. Cost me £1000 to get my license.

Actually its even better than $20 because you get a T-shirt at the end, and if you dont wan't the shirt you get your money back haha. But i would let them keep the $20 as they are providing a basically free class and it lets you skip taking the test at the DMV

Actually its even better than $20 because you get a T-shirt at the end, and if you dont wan't the shirt you get your money back haha. But i would let them keep the $20 as they are providing a basically free class and it lets you skip taking the test at the DMV

What the hell, where is this class at?

dorkimoe

Well its about time my state did something right!
I have 3 courses to pick from too. Only thing it seems I have to provide is gloves and coming fully clothed.

Well its about time my state did something right!
I have 3 courses to pick from too. Only thing it seems I have to provide is gloves and coming fully clothed.

Any gloves or actual motorcycle gloves? We could use anything, so I was riding with some garden gloves lol. It was also required that we wore long sleeve shirts and shoes that cover the ankle. Long sleeve shirts in the middle of summer in Texas isn't any fun.

dorkimoe

Any gloves or actual motorcycle gloves? We could use anything, so I was riding with some garden gloves lol. It was also required that we wore long sleeve shirts and shoes that cover the ankle. Long sleeve shirts in the middle of summer in Texas isn't any fun.

Protective clothing consisting of sturdy, over-the-ankle footwear (not cloth or canvas, boots suggested), long pants, long sleeve shirt or jacket, and full-fingered gloves. Equipment provided for BRC includes: helmet. A motorcycle will be provided for BRC and IRC students only.

I'll just go pickup some nice gloves, I need too get some rubber fingered ones anyway for shooting.

Yeah I signed up for a month from now, weekend in June. Not looking forward to the heat, but it shouldn't be that bad

edit: so if all this shifting and downshifting kills me, I blame you guys and you cant have my stuff..i wish the class wasnt in front of 11 other people though

Flo_Evans

If you can handle the controls in a modern FPS game (and I assume you can since we are on GAF) a motorcycle clutch is nothing to worry about.

To me a motorcycle clutch is easier than a car, because it is much lighter vehicle to get moving and you can feel the friction point better with your hand and a lever than a foot/pedal. The shifting is also easier because it is a sequential box instead of an H-pattern.

Just pull the lever, kick it up/down and release. Easy!

The hardest part is getting a feel for launching from a stop, that just takes a little practice.

daw840

I think the hardest part for me was going from stopped and immediately turning. Specifically like a right turn at a stop light. Once you get that down though, the rest is cake!

Protective clothing consisting of sturdy, over-the-ankle footwear (not cloth or canvas, boots suggested), long pants, long sleeve shirt or jacket, and full-fingered gloves. Equipment provided for BRC includes: helmet. A motorcycle will be provided for BRC and IRC students only.

I'll just go pickup some nice gloves, I need too get some rubber fingered ones anyway for shooting.

Yeah I signed up for a month from now, weekend in June. Not looking forward to the heat, but it shouldn't be that bad

edit: so if all this shifting and downshifting kills me, I blame you guys and you cant have my stuff..i wish the class wasnt in front of 11 other people though

You shouldn't worry about having other people there with you. Everyone in that class are all there to do the exact same thing, learn to ride a motorcycle.

You shouldn't worry so much about shifting and downshifting. It's really not too big of a concern, you just put the lever either above or below your foot and pull up or push down. Up takes you through the gears 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 6 and down reverses them. Simple!

I'd worry more about the figure 8 you have to do at full lock with the handlebars lol.

Dougald

Don't talk about the figure 8, you're giving me flashbacks to the British Module 1 test! Not only is that one of 4 tests you have to take to have the full license, but I failed it (and then failed the module 2 test too). Made me a better rider though, but damned if I'm ever doing a figure 8 around cones again in my life

COEg0I2.jpg

If you're ever worried about cone maneuvers, just look at American Police Motorcycle Rodeo videos on youtube for an idea of how much you can lean a heavy motorcycle..

Jealous of this damn thread. Engagement is putting off me buying my ER-6n.. probably for the entirety of the riding season.

I did find this funny. Not sure about the camera guy from the video, but his friend was squidding it up pretty hard. But yes, for me...armored jacket, CE chest armor, Knox Handroid gloves, FF helmet, and don't forget some Supertech R boots. Not a good fucking idea to get out of your car like that. The driver is clearly a tard so I'm sure that didn't factor into his stupid actions, but whatever.

Man, if that guy is squidding it up, then you must live in the safest motorcycling city in the world.

dorkimoe

Thanks everyone. Making me feel a lot better about it.

Yeah i can handle the controls in FPS :p

Now you got me scared about figure 8's and turning haha

daw840

I don't generally judge squiddiness by gear alone. I know lots and lots of bikers that wear none and are fa better riders than I. I think it's dumb but hey it's their skin.

Flo_Evans

Gah ran her out of gas on the way home.

Seems like my low fuel light is not working. I think it's the sender unit since it lights up on startup. Any ideas to get it working? I was thinking of a bunch of fuel injector cleaner in the tank but I dunno if that will do any good or not.

demented

Got hit by a car today, sort of...

I was riding in the right lane while the car was bit in front of me in the left lane and I was approaching another car that was stopped in my lane next to this pedestrian street that connects to street I was on, and I passed him while still being in my lane, and then the car from left lane started turning into mine.. and into me. I immediately swerved all the way to the right and his mirror hit me in the chest and door to my legs, didn't touch my bike and I broke his mirror but wasn't hurt at all, it was pretty slow too 20-30 kmph tops.

All in all ended well... It was some guy in 50s (at least) in pretty shitty car too, said he didn't see him, was in his blind spot, which was probably true when he hit me but I was in that lane for a while >.>

I don't generally judge squiddiness by gear alone. I know lots and lots of bikers that wear none and are fa better riders than I. I think it's dumb but hey it's their skin.

True. Don't have to be a squid to do squiddy things, I guess :p

I was riding in the right lane while the car was bit in front of me in the left lane and I was approaching another car that was stopped in my lane next to this pedestrian street that connects to street I was on, and I passed him while still being in my lane, and then the car from left lane started turning into mine.. and into me. I immediately swerved all the way to the right and his mirror hit me in the chest and door to my legs, didn't touch my bike and I broke his mirror but wasn't hurt at all, it was pretty slow too 20-30 kmph tops.

All in all ended well... It was some guy in 50s (at least) in pretty shitty car too, said he didn't see him, was in his blind spot, which was probably true when he hit me but I was in that lane for a while >.>

Glad that nothing happened. Still, the blind spot is why we, when learning how to drive, are all trained to do shoulder checks beforehand. Not your fault.

Don't talk about the figure 8, you're giving me flashbacks to the British Module 1 test! Not only is that one of 4 tests you have to take to have the full license, but I failed it (and then failed the module 2 test too). Made me a better rider though, but damned if I'm ever doing a figure 8 around cones again in my life.

Yeah, I didn't feel like they gave us enough time to practice it. I actually dropped my bike during practice, but luckily, I managed to do it perfectly once the test came lol.

Ouch...glad you're ok though, it could have ended up a lot worse.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
You should be fine. I just hesitate to recommend those bikes to low experience riders. That's how people die.

yeah I hear ya.
thanks for caring :D <3

I've been thinking from starting from sratch though some low end beater then moving my way back up again.

I seriously haven't rode for like 10yrs lol

daw840

yeah I hear ya.
thanks for caring :D <3

I've been thinking from starting from sratch though some low end beater then moving my way back up again.

I seriously haven't rode for like 10yrs lol
I got my Suzuki SV1000S for 3900 and its nice and quick while still being relatively comfy for a sporty bike.

I got my Suzuki SV1000S for 3900 and its nice and quick while still being relatively comfy for a sporty bike.

When I got insurance money from my bike I couldn't find anything less than $4300 that wasn't a 250 or beat up 600.

I'd give a kidney for a new bike. I haven't ridden in a year.

For the guys in the UK that was to go and have a look at one... Late spring.... at the moment its suppose to be summer but we are still having spring/winter lol

----------------------
The MSX125 ('Mini Street X-treme 125') carries on the tradition of the original, small-wheeled leisure motorcycle, defined by Honda in 1963 with the iconic Monkey, and continued with the Dax and Ape.

Manufactured in Thailand, the MSX125 is small enough to be supremely manageable yet has a fully-fledged feel thanks to a selection of standard sized motorcycle parts. It is due on sale in the UK in late spring 2013
----------------------

For the guys in the UK that was to go and have a look at one... Late spring.... at the moment its suppose to be summer but we are still having spring/winter lol

----------------------
The MSX125 ('Mini Street X-treme 125') carries on the tradition of the original, small-wheeled leisure motorcycle, defined by Honda in 1963 with the iconic Monkey, and continued with the Dax and Ape.

Manufactured in Thailand, the MSX125 is small enough to be supremely manageable yet has a fully-fledged feel thanks to a selection of standard sized motorcycle parts. It is due on sale in the UK in late spring 2013
----------------------

preordered one of the red sumbitches. gonna put some knobbies and a brappy akra on it and drive the neighborhood NUTS

Top Bottom