• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Rad Agast

Just wondering. How are ducatis with regard to reliability and maintenance?

Some guys over here were suggesting a monster 800 as a starter bike. Isn't that a bit too much for a novice? Last time I rode was 20 years ago and that was on KTMs.

friday

I saw the commercial for it. Looks interesting. I was most shocked it got inverted forks!

Living in NYC I feel like I could get away with so much on that little of a bike.

Honda really seems to have a great bike selection these days. I was browsing the other big Japanese brands today and they really lack the variety that Honda has. Yamaha has some good stuff but they mostly cater towards the higher end crowd.I really want a cb500 f.

Duderz

Banned
Just wondering. How are ducatis with regard to reliability and maintenance?

Some guys over here were suggesting a monster 800 as a starter bike. Isn't that a bit too much for a novice? Last time I rode was 20 years ago and that was on KTMs.

I'd be pretty hard pressed to recommend any Ducati as a starter bike, because that is a lot of machine. But if you're set, a Monster would probably be the one to start with. (Or, me being a Triumph guy, of course I'd recommend a Street Triple R first!)

Hehe, not every Ducati is 'a lot of machine'. The Street Triple is actually quite a bit faster than a Monster 800 (seriously, by about 30 horsepower or more).

The 800 is a 2 valved, air cooled, L-twin engine. Reliable and certainly not too fast. Light bike too. Excellent to start on, especially if you've had some experience with bikes in the past.

Well, Versys, It was a fun run, but I think it's time to part ways.

I found a 2007 KTM 690 Supermoto for sale in my area. How much should I be willing to pay for it? It has 16,000 miles, and the seller wants $4200.

24708_0_1_2_690%20supermoto_Image%20credits%20-%20KTM.jpg

kkSzNe8.jpg

My helmet just got back from the airbrush artist, only shitty thing is he forgot to put corruption on one side and redemption on the other. but at least he can fix it next week.

yCDBHajl.jpg
[/IMG]
Corruption

yGjGJ2wl.jpg
[/IMG]
redemption

I did California Superbike School again yesterday. I'd done levels 1 and 2 in the past (2009 and 2010) but felt I needed a bit of a refresher, so I re-did level 1. I was right...I still have much to work on from those exercises. The biggest thing I found is that I have problems relaxing. I white-knuckled the bars a good bit, but when I consciously relaxed everything was much better.

I think part of my confidence was shattered from the wet track high side in 2010 that I did on my own bike. Learning how that happened and why and how to correct it is something I've really tried to focus on since then. In a way it's a good thing it happened. It was only a 30mph crash and nothing happened to me (bike suffered cosmetically). I feel like it has given me a chance to go back and re-build since then and try to form new, better riding habits. Now I have some more things to work with that will be very beneficial.

Vereataes

Neo Member
Here's a pic of my '08 SV650s. Was taken the other week in a rare sunny day in London.

It's done 18k, so I had a heap of work done on her; new tyres, chain and sprockets, new front break discs, pads, new exhaust (previous one was scratched due to previous owner dropping), full service. She's running like new and sounds infinitely better. The last thing to do is the SS brake cable upgrade. Unfortunately they didn't arrive in time. Should be done in the next week or 2.

i am now the proud fukken owner of a 2013 suzuki sfv 650 gladius in black and carbon fiber. i pick it up tomorrow morning and then PICTURES. good night, ol' shiver 750, you had oomph and you made my ass hurt and taught me tons about cycling but OH MY GOD were you expensive to maintain and man you suffered n00bs poorly.

demented

^And I'm actually selling my 09 gladius... but having problems with that.
I've put it on all our online websites/forums and it paper ads which are sold country wide and nothing, rarely get a call even and I dropped a price few times :(

fml

Okay, tell me if I jumped the gun. My local shop (where I bought my bike -- good guys) was selling a 2-piece leather suit. Apparently it had been sitting for a little while, the company or person that was selling them went under. The shop had already sold a couple earlier this year or last (I forget).

I forget the brand name, but it's essentially a no-name leather suit for $200. I tried it on, fit well enough, and figured at that price I can't go wrong... but I wonder if I'm mistaken.

Paid for it today, was gonna pick it up tomorrow. I'm sure I could get a refund if I wanted, haven't even picked it up yet.

The idea is I want to use it for some introductory track stuff. Any thoughts? Over-thinking it? (edit: one of the shop guys said in his opinion the seams look pretty good, for what it's worth.)

Okay, tell me if I jumped the gun. My local shop (where I bought my bike -- good guys) was selling a 2-piece leather suit. Apparently it had been sitting for a little while, the company or person that was selling them went under. The shop had already sold a couple earlier this year or last (I forget).

I forget the brand name, but it's essentially a no-name leather suit for $200. I tried it on, fit well enough, and figured at that price I can't go wrong... but I wonder if I'm mistaken.

Paid for it today, was gonna pick it up tomorrow. I'm sure I could get a refund if I wanted, haven't even picked it up yet.

The idea is I want to use it for some introductory track stuff. Any thoughts? Over-thinking it? (edit: one of the shop guys said in his opinion the seams look pretty good, for what it's worth.)

You're over thinking it. It'll be fine to start out with on the track, but I would recommend a 1 piece suit later on if you continue to do it. I would also recommend a back protector if you don't have one. $200 is a steal, I wonder what brand it is. I know Teknic recently went under a lot of places were doing closeouts on their gear.

You're over thinking it. It'll be fine to start out with on the track, but I would recommend a 1 piece suit later on if you continue to do it. I would also recommend a back protector if you don't have one. $200 is a steal, I wonder what brand it is. I know Teknic recently went under a lot of places were doing closeouts on their gear.

Some no-name brand... I think it might be chinese. edit, "Moto-boy" ?

Do the pieces zip together?

Yeah.

Is this it? http://www.moto-boy.net/en/static/product/list/228.jsp

It should be fine for now as your just getting into track riding. I would switch it out later on for a 1 piece later and maybe something higher quality (though I don't know how the quality is on that one).

Are you using a back protector?

It kind of looks like the blue one, but the jacket is a bit different. Yeah, I have a back protector.

I posted this question on a local forum and pretty much everyone told me to stay away from it... man I'm so conflicted lol.

It kind of looks like the blue one, but the jacket is a bit different. Yeah, I have a back protector.

I posted this question on a local forum and pretty much everyone told me to stay away from it... man I'm so conflicted lol.

I'd leave the choice up to you then and go with your gut. While I think you can use it for now, I would still suggest getting something better maybe once you move up to level 2/intermediate.

Another option is to sell it for now and look out for closeouts and used suits to put that $200 towards. There was closeouts going on for Teknic and Alpinestars last week, but I think most of the stuff sold out. Nicer gear will also be a lot more expensive than $200.

I'd leave the choice up to you then and go with your gut. While I think you can use it for now, I would still suggest getting something better maybe once you move up to level 2/intermediate.

Another option is to sell it for now and look out for closeouts and used suits to put that $200 towards. There was closeouts going on for Teknic and Alpinestars last week, but I think most of the stuff sold out. Nicer gear will also be a lot more expensive than $200.

Thanks for the help. I decided to return it and save up for a name brand suit.

I decided to pass up on that KTM after reading about electrical problems. But I did find a killer deal on a 2005 Sportster with only 280 miles $5200!

Any on here with experience with Sportsters? Think that is a fair price for a bike that is still basically new? It's only an 883, but I think I could live with that for a year till I could afford a big-bore kit.

took delivery. then took it for a ride and stalled starting on hills twice like a nub. (i am a nub.) fml! still, AWESOME! it has some oomph, even relative to the shiver, and the low speed handling is like night and day.

8MCDVHH.jpg

demented

Enjoy it bro, it's a great bike and I'm still having fun on mine every time I ride it.
Even though I'm moving to supersport after it sells I still feel it has enough power for everything and has been great for me in the city, but you'll see in upcoming months :)

Congrats Drinky, great looking bike!

I decided to pass up on that KTM after reading about electrical problems. But I did find a killer deal on a 2005 Sportster with only 280 miles $5200!

Any on here with experience with Sportsters? Think that is a fair price for a bike that is still basically new? It's only an 883, but I think I could live with that for a year till I could afford a big-bore kit.

I rode one last weekend during a Harley demo event.

Very little power and questionable handling. That huge front wheel makes things awkward.

Completely different from the KTM you were eyeing earlier :p.

Of course, handling is not what you buy a Harley for... and I certainly like the way that one looks.

daw840

took delivery. then took it for a ride and stalled starting on hills twice like a nub. (i am a nub.) fml! still, AWESOME! it has some oomph, even relative to the shiver, and the low speed handling is like night and day.

8MCDVHH.jpg

Wow...they really changed up the frame. It almost looks tubular now. Pretty sweet. I still like mine better though.

You and your feeble 650, gaze upon the glory that is a liter SV. ;)

I rode one last weekend during a Harley demo event.

Very little power and questionable handling. That huge front wheel makes things awkward.

Completely different from the KTM you were eyeing earlier :p.

Of course, handling is not what you buy a Harley for... and I certainly like the way that one looks.

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the power also. I used to ride a 600cc Shadow and got along fine with that for 3 years. I haven't bit the bullet on that 883, but I will hopefully look at a couple more 1200cc sportsters today/tomorrow which have plenty of power for what I want. I road a 1200cc sporty a couple days ago and decided it was plenty enough power for me.

It is going to be hard to pass up on that 2005 with only 285 miles though. That price for a bike that is still basically new... but I will need to get forward controls, and saddle bags.

dorkimoe

8MCDVHH.jpg

That seriously is a beautiful bike

I posted in here like a week or two ago about the class I was going to take to learn how to ride. I'm signed up for June 14-17. I got in just in time. They are canceling the program starting in November. I don't know why they don't just raise the price from 20$ to make it more profitable.

Rad Agast

Is that 20$ per hour? That's really cheap. They charge over 600$ over here for one on one lessons but that includes two training bikes (180cc and a 600)

That seriously is a beautiful bike

I posted in here like a week or two ago about the class I was going to take to learn how to ride. I'm signed up for June 14-17. I got in just in time. They are canceling the program starting in November. I don't know why they don't just raise the price from 20$ to make it more profitable.

Awesome, you'll have a blast. Get in while it's cheap.

Is that 20$ per hour? That's really cheap. They charge over 600$ over here for one on one lessons but that includes two training bikes (180cc and a 600)

Nope, that's the cost of his whole class...plus a free t-shirt. Don't worry, I hate him too for pricing like that lol.

dorkimoe

no, its 20$ for the entire 3 days - 16 hours on bike, 4 hours in a class

edit: haha like he said above PLus a t shirt. But if you dont want the t shirt you get the money back (which i think would be a dick move if you pass to take your money back)

Rad Agast

no, its 20$ for the entire 3 days - 16 hours on bike, 4 hours in a class

edit: haha like he said above PLus a t shirt. But if you dont want the t shirt you get the money back (which i think would be a dick move if you pass to take your money back)

Amazing! How the hell,do they make money? It costs more than that just to get a learning riding permit.

dorkimoe

Amazing! How the hell,do they make money? It costs more than that just to get a learning riding permit.

Im not sure, and they pay the instructors. It's done through a University but has nothing really to do with the school? And they provide bikes and all that.

Still nervous, but looking forward to it at the same time. Was hoping i could hookup with a buddy who had a bike that could at least give me basics so i didnt go in looking like a complete idiot

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the power also. I used to ride a 600cc Shadow and got along fine with that for 3 years. I haven't bit the bullet on that 883, but I will hopefully look at a couple more 1200cc sportsters today/tomorrow which have plenty of power for what I want. I road a 1200cc sporty a couple days ago and decided it was plenty enough power for me.

It is going to be hard to pass up on that 2005 with only 285 miles though. That price for a bike that is still basically new... but I will need to get forward controls, and saddle bags.

I'd be a little concerned about how long it's been sitting.. has it even had an oil change?

Gritesh

Ok, so I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Ducati Monster 1100 EVO.

Question to anyone on gaf who may have ridden one:

Is it ok for a 6 foot tall guy? I have sat on one about 100 times but never ridden it yet, and want to know if it will feel too small on me after a while.

I used to ride a CBR600rr, but sold that two years ago, thinking I would get the Duc the following year, now 2 years later I'm ready to say screw it and just go get one!

Gritesh

I'm over 6'2 and extremely comfortable on my 1100. So I'd say you're golden.

Thanks man! I'm wanted one for like 5 years now, I will have to finance it, but I have half of it to put down. I could keep saving and pay cash for it in about another 6 months, but if I do that I will miss this years riding season completely and have to wait till may of next year to get on it

Thanks man! I'm wanted one for like 5 years now, I will have to finance it, but I have half of it to put down. I could keep saving and pay cash for it in about another 6 months, but if I do that I will miss this years riding season completely and have to wait till may of next year to get on it

Be sure to post some pics once you get your hands on it :).

Some pics from a charity ride for prostate cancer. That's me on the red 250.

There were about 250 riders, raised around $44000 I think.

Looks good, and good job on the high visibility jacket. I have one, but I've chosen to not wear it for a while since I've switched to a (yellow) neon colored helmet. My leathers just look better without the jacket :(

It's stupid though, I know. Hope the helmet compensates.

Be sure to post some pics once you get your hands on it :).

Looks good, and good job on the high visibility jacket. I have one, but I've chosen to not wear it for a while since I've switched to a (yellow) neon colored helmet. My leathers just look better without the jacket :(

I find it makes a difference in traffic. I dunno if people think I'm a cop or what, but it seems to help. Next helmet will be white, realized that would have been an easy way to increase my visibility but I already bought an anthracite RF-1100.

East Lake

I wear white helmet + hi-viz jacket too. It's awesome. Want to get this airglide though.

SHKn5CV.jpg

Crazy colors! Hard to find this version now though.

^ I found a nice benefit to wearing a hi-vis vest instead of a hi-vis jacket last night.

When you get covered in bugs, it's easier to clean a cheap vest than a nice leather jacket. :p

Watevaman

I typically wear all black and I'm on a black bike, so I'm screwed when it comes to visibility. I throw on a reflective hi-viz vest when I'm out in the dark or in "dark" conditions like rain and heavy clouds.

I haven't bothered as my bike has HIDs and aftermarket LED brake light and signals, it's bright white and red, jacket is bright white, red, black, and helmet is...

8256516116_31ec759975.jpg

If they don't see me, they're simply not looking and it becomes my task to avoid any hazard they might be to me.

Gritesh

So I got approved for financing on the ducati monster 1100 evo through the bank, I put it on rapid paydown to have it paid completely off in 8 months

In making the call on Tuesday to confirm my order

So I got approved for financing on the ducati monster 1100 evo through the bank, I put it on rapid paydown to have it paid completely off in 8 months

In making the call on Tuesday to confirm my order

Congrats! What color did you end up going with? How much did it cost you OTD?
I've been looking at the 848 evo lately, but I don't think I could part ways with my zx10.

Fixed1979

I'm thinking about jumping in next spring, unless of course I break down this summer...but by the time I figure out what I want to do and go through training it'll probably be -30 degrees here.

I really dig the Triumph classic line, either the Bonny or Scrambler, but I'm still very early into figuring things out. What's the general consensus on reliability for these bikes? The closest dealership is about 400+km away which is a major concern and a potential a deal breaker. Are there any other things I should consider before looking at a bike without a local dealer?

We have most of the "bigger" brands in town, but there's just something about that line that really attracts me...

Top Bottom