• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

Reliability is pretty solid, mine has done far more mileage than the average Bonneville. Parts aren't particularly cheap though. In two years I've had 2 issues that prevented the bike starting: a flat battery, and a wire that I disconnected accidentally myself. If you are so inclined they are also incredibly easy to work on.

Gritesh

So it's done, I ordered the last 2013 ducati monster 1100 evo in the Alberta region today.

15324 otd and I got 500 in accessories credits to spend when I pick it up. I wanted more but it was the last one available to me to buy anywhere near me.

Bike is coming from Italy so it's a 4-6 week wait now. That will give me a chance to save some money to pay it off more before it gets here.

Also I have no riding buddies so if anyone from Edmonton is on here and rides, I could use a friend.

demented

^ Congrats man, that's an awesome bike!

So this guy called me asking about my bike and said he'll call in few days to see it. Tomorrow I had my phone off and I receive msg that he wants to come and buy it, I call him and we agree to meet when rain stops(been falling for days) to do the deal. I check some paperwork stuff and call him tomorrow again to tell him all is good, rain isn't gonna fall much and we'll be in contact.

And yesterday there was no rain so I call him - no answer. Text - nothing. WTF, was he just calling me and leading me on to fuck with me, I'm pissed -_-
fucking people

Hey guys I need some help here. I'm thinking of purchasing a 2003 Suzuki gsxr 600 from a guy on Craigslist. The bike has over 35,000 miles on it, but he swears up and down that the service was done routinely. this too many miles to purchase the bike?

Help!?!? Really want it and he wants around 3k.

Watevaman

Hey guys I need some help here. I'm thinking of purchasing a 2003 Suzuki gsxr 600 from a guy on Craigslist. The bike has over 35,000 miles on it, but he swears up and down that the service was done routinely. this too many miles to purchase the bike?

Thats only 3,500 miles a year, which is probably average. If he has the paperwork to back up the service I'd say go for it.

Wubby

I've been having a strong itch to join 2 wheel GAF lately. But ugh, it seems like I'm in for a pretty big hassle.

I live in Japan now (from US originally) and have never had a bike license before. After reading what I need to do to get a license I regret not getting one in the US where it sounds much easier to get. Was always too scared to bother with bikes living in Southern California. Too many SUV's and freeways. I witnessed too many close calls from idiot drivers not paying attention.

To get a license here it sounds like I'll have to go to one of the driving schools and fork over $1,000 to get a license. Problem is where I'm at all the schools are Japanese/Portuguese only. I'd have to go up to Tokyo for ones with English options.

But here in Japan there are so many interesting bikes to choose from. I'm really interested in smaller displacement bikes, 250cc ones particularly. 250cc bikes in Japan are exempt from the great scam that is the bi-annual safety inspection (shakken). I don't know what it costs for bikes but for my car I have to spend around $1,200 every two years for this inspection (a complete hassle and waste of time/money). And it sounds like 250cc is enough for putting around town.

I like the looks of the Suzuki TU250x, Kawasaki Estrella or maybe the chopper Yamaha Dragstar 250 (V-star 250 in the states I think). And that's just newer bikes. If I go back to the 90's there's some really cool stuff in that era.

I hope to have a bike though by the end of the year! It's my goal.

So this guy called me asking about my bike and said he'll call in few days to see it. Tomorrow I had my phone off and I receive msg that he wants to come and buy it, I call him and we agree to meet when rain stops(been falling for days) to do the deal. I check some paperwork stuff and call him tomorrow again to tell him all is good, rain isn't gonna fall much and we'll be in contact.

And yesterday there was no rain so I call him - no answer. Text - nothing. WTF, was he just calling me and leading me on to fuck with me, I'm pissed -_-
fucking people

It happens a lot whenever you try to sell vehicles. Things happen/change and sometimes buyers will just end up backing out. He should have at least told you.

That's not too much. My 05 zx-10 currently has 47,000 miles on it. Make sure you give it a test ride and a look over to make sure everything is good. What's your budget? You could probably find something newer with less miles if you are willing to wait.

That's not too much. My 05 zx-10 currently has 47,000 miles on it. Make sure you give it a test ride and a look over to make sure everything is good. What's your budget? You could probably find something newer with less miles if you are willing to wait.

I can spend anywhere from 3k to 3.7k on the actual bike at this very moment. Signing up for the msf course tomorrow when I get my approved time off.

Dougald

3000 miles/year is average in the UK, so I'd imagine in North America it's going to be higher. If the bike is solid don't let that put you off.

But as said I probably wouldn't have a gsxr as my first bike, especially given how simple the msf course seems to be

I can spend anywhere from 3k to 3.7k on the actual bike at this very moment. Signing up for the msf course tomorrow when I get my approved time off.

Like others have said, a gsxr isn't really an idea starter bike.

Maybe we should update the OP with some more beginner friendly info.

Gritesh

I have to argue against everyone else here.

Depending on your physical size and your overall ability to adapt to motorcycle riding I would say that a 2003 gsxr 600 is not a bad stater bike.

Now it is not ideal however consider this, if your interested in the sport style bikes an ideal stater is going to be something like a sv650s.
Keep in mind that the new model sport bikes are considerably hairy compared to those that are from the 2003 era, that's a decade ago. The rider position has changed to become more and more aggressive over the last 10 years. Brakes are more touchy, engines are tuned for more power throughout a larger power band etc.

I started on a 2004 Cbr 600rr yes it wasn't ideal however I knew that if I bought something else I wouldn't be as happy with it. I went from learning to ride to riding the snot out of that thing for almost 4 years. I learned alot from that bike, and the fact that the bike never limited me at any point in those 4 years I was able to grow with it.

Just remember it is a race ready bike. You don't need to prove to anyone that it has power. Don't push yourself past your limits. Most importantly know your limits and never ride to more than 75 percent of them. Respect the bike, respect the road, remember it can and will kill you if you allow it.

Keep your head on a swivel, when riding in traffic never let your guard down and always ride through traffic never with it! Assume everyone else is out to kill you and make sure your always visible to others your sharing the road with.

Be safe have fun and make sure that you have a long life of riding ahead of you.

Watevaman

Unless you are something like 400 pounds a 600 I4 will not discriminate in its ability to throw your ass from 0-60 in under 4 seconds.

Added a new pony to the stable! Picked up a 2008 DR650SE yesterday, and boy is it fun! I replaced my Yamaha TTR250 with it. My Versys is still for sale because I wont need two bikes now that I have this big DR.

It is all stock except handlebar riser, handlebars, 12v adapter, and consolidated tail light assembly. Once I sell the Versys I'll get a pipe, windshield and comfy seat for it.

dr-small.jpg

dr-small2.jpg

Edit: I've now owned a motorcycle from all the major Japanese brands (2 Honda, 1 Yamaha, 1 Kawasaki, 1 Suzuki), and I always thought of my self as a Harley/Honda kinda guy.

I also started on an 04 CBR600RR...out of ignorance. I would not recommend anyone do it as it's much harder to learn on a race replica bike. Much easier to find a friendly standard twin bike that is upright.

daw840

I have to argue against everyone else here.

Depending on your physical size and your overall ability to adapt to motorcycle riding I would say that a 2003 gsxr 600 is not a bad stater bike.

Now it is not ideal however consider this, if your interested in the sport style bikes an ideal stater is going to be something like a sv650s.
Keep in mind that the new model sport bikes are considerably hairy compared to those that are from the 2003 era, that's a decade ago. The rider position has changed to become more and more aggressive over the last 10 years. Brakes are more touchy, engines are tuned for more power throughout a larger power band etc.

I started on a 2004 Cbr 600rr yes it wasn't ideal however I knew that if I bought something else I wouldn't be as happy with it. I went from learning to ride to riding the snot out of that thing for almost 4 years. I learned alot from that bike, and the fact that the bike never limited me at any point in those 4 years I was able to grow with it.

Just remember it is a race ready bike. You don't need to prove to anyone that it has power. Don't push yourself past your limits. Most importantly know your limits and never ride to more than 75 percent of them. Respect the bike, respect the road, remember it can and will kill you if you allow it.

Keep your head on a swivel, when riding in traffic never let your guard down and always ride through traffic never with it! Assume everyone else is out to kill you and make sure your always visible to others your sharing the road with.

Be safe have fun and make sure that you have a long life of riding ahead of you.

What's wrong with the SV? Or a Ninja 650? Or even a Ducati Monster?

There are SO many better sporty starter bikes out there that are far, far better than an I4 race replica it's silly to ever recommend one to someone for their first.

Gritesh

There's nothing wrong with those but ultimately if that's what he's after he's going to buy it regardless. I'm just saying with respect and time it won't be a terrible bike.

daw840

There's nothing wrong with those but ultimately if that's what he's after he's going to buy it regardless. I'm just saying with respect and time it won't be a terrible bike.

My whole thing with this is that with just a flick of the wrist, and a dump of the clutch, you can wheelie the shit out of one of those and end up on your back from a stoplight. God forbid you accidentally downshift when you didn't mean to, then that happens at speed. That's not going to happen on the twins. Even my SV1000S isn't that touchy.

Gritesh

Oh I firmly agree, but I know how I was when I was starting out.

I wanted the race bike, I thought that was the cool thing, I felt like nothing could touch those machines.
The reality is that you need to learn to RIDE before you can really ride a race bike, and really a race bike isn't the best option to learn to RIDE. However sometimes stubbornness prevails.

At least he's not looking at a liter or more, and at least he's considering a nicely used machine for the inevitable drop.

My post wasn't to say "yeah great choice, don't listen to anyone else, that's a perfect starter machine"

It was more to say "It's not a bad choice, but there are better choices" I even stated that a sv650s would be a much better choice.

I wanted to leave him with some words of wisdom too, try to pass on what others have passed on to me.

Also, to the new riders: If you cant afford the protective gear, you can't afford the bike.

Also, I guess here is a good place to ask.

I got this Ducati coming and I sold my leather suit with the sport bike. So I need new gear. I was considering the Dainese Avro Textile and the Dainese Drake Air Textile pants. However I have never owned textile gear and wonder if anyone has any experience with it.

I really like the Dainese stuff, but with this Ducati I'm looking for a more relaxed riding experience and I feel that the Textile jacket/pants combo suits that.
The other option was going back to full leather suit, but it's a little impractical for taking the bike for a fancy supper, or for afternoon coffee somewhere.

daw840

IDK. I usually just wear my leather jacket, helmet, and gloves. I don't do anything for my lower body. Furthermore, I don't wear anything but the helmet when it gets really hot around here. I'd probably heat stroke out with my jacket on here.

Though I do want to get a nice mesh armored jacket for the summer.

That said, I'm still more geared up than 90% of the riders around here.

Gritesh

IDK. I usually just wear my leather jacket, helmet, and gloves. I don't do anything for my lower body. Furthermore, I don't wear anything but the helmet when it gets really hot around here. I'd probably heat stroke out with my jacket on here.

Yikes, it pains me to see guys riding around in shorts and tank tops. Especially when the weather is cool enough locally to allow for full protection

^ In addition to that, it really doesn't take that long on a starter bike before you move up to an supersport. Get a 250r or something cheap for 1-2 months, then hop up once you feel your ready. You can most likely get back the amount of money you paid for the starter bike.

Not really a fan of Dainese leathers, they're a bit sub par for the price. As for textile, they rip apart kind of easily if you slide, so there's a good chance you might have to replace them if you get into a fall or two.

This is pretty much what I wear (helmet, jacket and gloves) when street riding unless I'm going on a spirited ride somewhere, then I'll bring out the one piece. It gets into the triple digits down in Texas and it can get pretty brutal when coming home from work.

I still see a lot of people with tank tops, shorts and flip flops on too. What amazes me are the people that don't have a helmet on, but the helmet is strapped to the side of the bike. Prettyyyy stupid.

I don't get that. The sun, wind, rocks and bugs hurt. I went to work and school sometimes without a jacket and it's not comfortable.

Riverside Cali too, so it got HOT.

daw840

I don't get that. The sun, wind, rocks and bugs hurt. I went to work and school sometimes without a jacket and it's not comfortable.

Riverside Cali too, so it got HOT.
Really? I love riding without a jacket. I think it feels good. The occasional rock does suck but that doesn't happen that often.

Dougald

I never ride without full gear (either textiles or leather jacket and fully-lined kevlar jeans). I have a vented textile jacket which works very well in the summer while still providing decent protection.

However I live in the UK and it never gets particularly hot here compared to the rest of the world. There comes a point temperature-wise where it's much safer to be comfortable than boiling under your safety gear. The most important piece of safety equipment you have is your own judgement, if you're spending all your time thinking about how hot you are under your high-tech race suit, you're not paying enough attention to the road.

Shorts and flip-flops though? I have a friend who rented a scooter and lowsided it at 5mph on a patch of gravel while wearing just that, seeing the result on his feet and legs is enough to deter me from ever considering doing that

Watevaman

I typically always wear a jacket, gloves, boots, helmet. I have a pair of leather pants that can zip to my jacket to create a suit but they are uncomfortable on longer rides and they aren't really made for a standard riding position so I usually ride in regular jeans. I've been wanting to get some RHOK jeans for the longest time, but for some reason I can't bring myself to justify the price, even though I know road rash on my legs would change that opinion.

Dougald

I've got two pairs of Hood Jeans, swear by them. The full kevlar lining does make them a fair bit hotter than regular jeans though, but I only notice this when I'm walking about. They have the added bonus of removable armour inserts, too.

They have the added bonus of not making me feel like a complete plonker once I get off the bike, like my textile suit does

Track - one piece leathers, gloves, boots, FF helmet (no brainer)
Street - two piece leathers (pants are hybrid textile/leather track-style pants), rest is the same as track...

Every once in a grand while I will wear my Iron Heart jeans if I want to have jeans on for whatever reason, and I generally don't wear jeans if I'm leaving town. I would cry if I crashed in those things, but they are actually advertised as motorcycle jeans due to the extra heavy denim.

daw840

Track - one piece leathers, gloves, boots, FF helmet (no brainer)
Street - two piece leathers (pants are hybrid textile/leather track-style pants), rest is the same as track...

Every once in a grand while I will wear my Iron Heart jeans if I want to have jeans on for whatever reason, and I generally don't wear jeans if I'm leaving town. I would cry if I crashed in those things, but they are actually advertised as motorcycle jeans due to the extra heavy denim.

Yeah....I may feel a little different if I ever get blasted by a car like you did.

I know it's dumb, but damn if it isn't a shitload more comfortable.

Watevaman

Do you wear leathers if you ride your bike to work or something or do you not ride it out to the store/work?

I only ask because I wear my work clothes (jeans and work boots) if I'm going to work and wouldn't feel comfortable wearing my "track" leather pants anywhere where I'd be getting off the bike. Hell, I was uncomfortable wearing them into a McDonald's when I stopped for lunch.

I ride to work. I wear textile pants, leather jacket, gauntlet gloves etc.

I just change into shorts when I get to work. I also leave a pair of sandals there.

edit: plan to get leather pants when I can find some that fit nicely. Not many stores around here unfortunately, will have to make a trek to the city sometime.

Hey 2 wheel GAF,

Here's me on my Moto Guzzi V7. Been riding for about 2 years now. Started on a v7 despite a few people telling me it was too much for me to start with. I kinda went against what people told me since I had ridden a lot of dirt bikes before. Anyways I don't regret it at all and although I think sport bikes are nice to look at I don't really enjoy riding one. Cheers!

daw840

Hey 2 wheel GAF,

Here's me on my Moto Guzzi V7. Been riding for about 2 years now. Started on a v7 despite a few people telling me it was too much for me to start with. I kinda went against what people told me since I had ridden a lot of dirt bikes before. Anyways I don't regret it at all and although I think sport bikes are nice to look at I don't really enjoy riding one. Cheers!

I don't think there's anything wrong with starting on a "non starter" bike if you've ridden a lot of dirt bikes. Some of those are touchier than sport bikes, lol.

Funny story about that. My buddy's dad was trying to teach my buddy's sister how to ride and started her on his DRZ450 that's been modified a bit (just a different sprocket, and some other minor things.) She was doing great until she popped the clutch and ended up riding a wheelie for about 100 yards. She didn't dump it though, she didn't get back on it either....lol

Yeah....I may feel a little different if I ever get blasted by a car like you did.

I know it's dumb, but damn if it isn't a shitload more comfortable.

My high side at the track also proved to me how valuable wearing good, armored gear can be. I walked away with just a swollen forearm (which is what I landed on after getting bucked off).

Do you wear leathers if you ride your bike to work or something or do you not ride it out to the store/work?

I only ask because I wear my work clothes (jeans and work boots) if I'm going to work and wouldn't feel comfortable wearing my "track" leather pants anywhere where I'd be getting off the bike. Hell, I was uncomfortable wearing them into a McDonald's when I stopped for lunch.

I know what you mean, although I'm caring less and less. Haha, what's funny is going on an all-day ride in leathers and then stopping for a meal and maybe a drink (...leaving more than enough time for the alcohol to pass through before getting back on the bike of course...). So you have maybe an Under Armour shirt on and helmet hair and look somewhat spent, and have curved leather pants and race boots on. Good look. :lol

I only really ever ride for fun, but when I have ridden into work (which is very close to me) I usually make life easier and wear jeans, or if it's nice enough out, pack some shorts to wear when I get off the bike and am out working. Guys with office jobs that ride and have to dress up a bit more I think will go for Aerostich suits etc.

Spruce

Neo Member
Added a new pony to the stable! Picked up a 2008 DR650SE yesterday, and boy is it fun! I replaced my Yamaha TTR250 with it. My Versys is still for sale because I wont need two bikes now that I have this big DR.

It is all stock except handlebar riser, handlebars, 12v adapter, and consolidated tail light assembly. Once I sell the Versys I'll get a pipe, windshield and comfy seat for it.

Edit: I've now owned a motorcycle from all the major Japanese brands (2 Honda, 1 Yamaha, 1 Kawasaki, 1 Suzuki), and I always thought of my self as a Harley/Honda kinda guy.
How was your Versys? I'm trying to figure out a good bike for around town and on a few long drives.

Sometimes my bike idles around 2000 RPM (at traffic lights, after it's been warmed up).

Other times, after turning the bike on (if it's already warm), it's around 1500RPM. Kawi recommends 1300-1500.

Is this normal? Does it just vary with the ambient temperature etc? Some days it seems to rev lower in the same gear at the same road speed than on other days (e.g. 5500 vs 5000 or something). Just curious.

daw840

Sometimes my bike idles around 2000 RPM (at traffic lights, after it's been warmed up).

Other times, after turning the bike on (if it's already warm), it's around 1500RPM. Kawi recommends 1300-1500.

Is this normal? Does it just vary with the ambient temperature etc? Some days it seems to rev lower in the same gear at the same road speed than on other days (e.g. 5500 vs 5000 or something). Just curious.
Is it fuel injected or carbureted.

Watevaman

Carbs are sensitive to temperature, yes. I know I turn my idle up a hair in the morning compared to when I leave work. I don't know how the Ninja carbs are set up or if you can even reach them on the bike, but on my GS500 there's an idle adjustment knob that I can twist while on the bike. I just have to reach under my carbs and adjust it accordingly.

^The Ninja's are basically the same, there's a lever on the left side that you move up or down to adjust it once you start the bike.

Did you buy it used? Might want to clean the carbs. Temperature should only affect it until it's warmed up I believe.

I went to adjust the idle today actually (there's an easy-to-reach knob) which is when I realized it was already at 1500RPM. Bike was warm at that point, was taking a pit stop.

Bike is new (under warranty), stock exhaust, stock jetting etc.

Maybe I should mention that most of the time I have to use the choke to start the bike when it's cold, even on warm days (e.g. 20C). Does that mean the carbs are set up too lean?

I did some googling and apparently it's a common problem on the 250R. The tachometer apparently varies with temperature by a decent bit. So it should just be the tach uncertainty, nothing more.

Otherwise I have had no issues with the bike, have about 3000km on it now.

Watevaman

You'll pretty much always have to choke a carbed bike to start it, that's no big deal. It's really how fast you can turn it down that varies based on temp.

Dougald

Once the bike has warmed up you should be seeing a stable rev count, but using the choke is normal with carbs. My Bonneville is so bad I can only start without choke after pulling over for petrol! I've been told rejetting can help but I don't care that much..

Top Bottom