• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Damaged

Man, I almost bought that *exact* bike when I passed my test, but decided to get my Triumph instead for a bit more cash, as it's a little more reliable and will do 70mph! The Enfields are real lookers, though, wouldn't mind trading the Bonneville for one in a few years if the right deal came along

I really wouldnt get one for anything other than a toy to be honest, plus the dealer was saying that there is an 1100cc one in the pipeline which should be a bit more practical

Get the K6 750. It looks better and there is really nothing better about the K8. I owned a K7 750 (same thing as K6) and it was a good bike. K8 is just uglier, basically. And if you're going middleweight with GSX-R, there is no good reason IMO unless you have to club race or something to get the 600. I actually did ride the K8 600 and it was that same orange color scheme haha. Now, a GREAT GSX-R is the current generation - shorter wheelbase, good power, still comfy, great looks. But that's not as cheap obviously.

demented

Got ton of offers tonight including newish gsxr1000,08 r6 etc, tomorrow gonna check out few of them. Such a great thing when you have the money and people are desperate to sell lol

Got ton of offers tonight including newish gsxr1000,08 r6 etc, tomorrow gonna check out few of them. Such a great thing when you have the money and people are desperate to sell lol

Haha yes! 04/05 R6 is still one of the best 600s I've ridden, especially for street use.

Dougald

I really wouldnt get one for anything other than a toy to be honest, plus the dealer was saying that there is an 1100cc one in the pipeline which should be a bit more practical

They're not exactly the most reliable bikes anyway. The pre-electra Bullet was the same design since Royal Enfield India split off from the UK in the 50s... They even had drum brakes!

For a retro daily rider it's really the Honda CB1100 or Triumph Retro family (or even the Guzzi V7.. lovely bike)

Damaged

so are you guys mostly street bikes? I'm a dirt bike guy.

Started on dirt bikes, mainly trials bikes then worked onto road bikes but have usually stuck with dual use (drz400,ktm 640sm). Just used to the riding position, would love a nice montessa or a tidy Honda cr500 though

Edit: this is as close as I get to dirt bikes these days sadly

Doesn't look bad for two winters and 30,000 miles on the clock

Decided to get groceries on the bike tonight.

Damn! Bike was harder to control at low speeds, and all I had was maybe 12-14 lbs in my backpack. Crazy.

Sitting at working and thinking about sitting in a lay-by in Germany having a coffee and a smoke thinking of the next hour of bike ride to get to my destination. Damn I would like to be touring again through EU.

Brick

So, I finally ended getting a scooter to commute to work. It's a Kymco People S 200. Screw the haters, it is incredibly fun and ULTRA cheap to drive around. I do plan to upgrade to an actual motorcycle eventually, but for now, this couldn't be more perfect.

TCRS

Banned
So, I finally ended getting a scooter to commute to work. It's a Kymco People S 200. Screw the haters, it is incredibly fun and ULTRA cheap to drive around. I do plan to upgrade to an actual motorcycle eventually, but for now, this couldn't be more perfect.

Ain't no scooter haters here. Kymco make some nice scooters (and some ugly ones, Kymco Dink is all I'm going to say)., they're reliable and relatively cheap. I especially like the Downtown 300:

KYMCO-Downtown-300i-1.jpg

Damaged

Hey your on two wheels so your doing alright in my eyes, enjoy the new toy :)

Dougald

Nowt wrong with a scooter if you don't need to go too far or fast.. I would get one if my occasional commutes weren't so far.

Just changed the oil and filter on the Fazer. I don't care that the service schedule says every 6000 miles (no, not every 6000 miles or 1 year, just every 6000 miles.. and that's not even for the filter, just the oil), to me you can't go wrong changing it every year. What a massive pain though, the filter is behind the front downpipes so you can't get a good grip, and have to fiddle for about 5 minutes to get it out, and all the oil gets dumped over them. What's worse is the drain plug, which is located directly behind the frame in such a way that you can't get any kind of ratchet on it, which makes it *very* hard to get off and impossible to re-torque without taking the engine out! No such problems on my Triumph, though at least once the oil is changed on a Japanese bike it doesn't continually drip over the garage floor.

Watevaman

Yeah, changing oil is a pain on my gs500 too. Plug and filter cover are both blocked by the exhaust, so it has to come off. That also means i need to replace the gaskets every time.

Yamaha did the same thing on the R1. Whenever I remove the filter the headers definitely get oil on them. I wipe off as much as possible but ultimately there is always some that burns off.

Sarcasm

Ain't no scooter haters here. Kymco make some nice scooters (and some ugly ones, Kymco Dink is all I'm going to say)., they're reliable and relatively cheap. I especially like the Downtown 300:

I moved to Taiwan and couldn't believe how ignorant I was of scooter. I drive one 5 days of the week and its what keeps depression at bay. I own a Kymco 125cc and its a blast.

Also helps you can split lanes/drive on shoulder here.

Dougald

Yeah, changing oil is a pain on my gs500 too. Plug and filter cover are both blocked by the exhaust, so it has to come off. That also means i need to replace the gaskets every time.

Yamaha did the same thing on the R1. Whenever I remove the filter the headers definitely get oil on them. I wipe off as much as possible but ultimately there is always some that burns off.

Damn, guess I've just been spoilt before then, at least I didn't have to remove the exhaust! (though I'll be doing that to touch up the paint before the winter salt kicks in)

On the Bonneville the filter is underneath the bike so it's easy to get to (just don't warm it up *too* much as the exhausts are there too), and on the ST1100 all you have to do is remove one fairing panel and it's right on the side.

I've decided next time I make the change I'm going to buy a K&N oil filter with a 1/2" socket on the top instead of trying to get my filter wrench behind the downpipes again.

Watevaman

I think you'd probably have to lower the bike or get the seat carved down.

I finally got a chance to sit on a DRZ400SM at the dealership and while it's one of my "dream" bikes (aka bikes I might buy when I have a real job), I could only tiptoe with both feet.

KYMCO-Downtown-300i-1.jpg

i adore scoots. vastly preferable for congested downtown, as gear rowing, even on a tall-geared bike like mine, is a chore after 30 minutes. my second ride is a bv 350 (piaggio) that i'm slowly ratting out. put an akra slip-on on it a couple weeks back, as well as dr. pulley sliders in the variator, and now i pull a SICK ASS 37 HP breh (while sounding like an angry minicopter). ninja 250s watch the FUCK out

tw200's pretty low, and a total hoot.
The fat tire looks so cheesy to me. Maybe I'm a bad person.

i adore scoots. vastly preferable for congested downtown, as gear rowing, even on a tall-geared bike like mine, is a chore after 30 minutes. my second ride is a bv 350 (piaggio) that i'm slowly ratting out. put an akra slip-on on it a couple weeks back, as well as dr. pulley sliders in the variator, and now i pull a SICK ASS 37 HP breh (while sounding like an angry minicopter). ninja 250s watch the FUCK out
...and your scooter is now faster than my sport bike. lol

Put an akra slip-on on it a couple weeks back, as well as dr. pulley sliders in the variator, and now i pull a SICK ASS 37 HP breh (while sounding like an angry minicopter). ninja 250s watch the FUCK out

Haha

Yeah, must be more comfortable than bigger bikes. Took my Monster into Amsterdam two weeks ago, after about two minutes sitting at lights, the heat coming off that thing was incredible.

Gritesh

I still haven't gotten my monster.

It's been sitting in Canadian customs for almost two weeks now.

I called yesterday and they can't give me a concrete day on when I can pick it up.

Told them that if it wasn't by next weekend they have lost a sale. Hope they don't call my bluff cause they are sold out in western Canada now.

man, i hate bike lust. i have been drooling over a ducati diavel dark for the past week. why can't i love the one i'm with?

I saw one in Luxemburg once (Diavel dark) with bar-end mirrors. Completely black, save for white letters on the front fender (mudguard?) that spelled 'Pirelli'. It looked quite a bit cooler than most stock Diavels.

Watevaman

If there's one thing I like about the Diavel it's that license plate holder. I would love it if more bikes had it attached like that.

I am saving up for a Street Triple R, so I am intrigued.
Looks great.

I think the FZ is supposed to have 13 lb-ft more torque than the STR with a minor weight penalty (10 lbs ?).

I would love to own a STR someday, but the FZ seems like it might be a good contender if it has comparable dynamics. Cheaper too.

Got my first bike guys !!!
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r / Red
In near perfect condition, the owner did very well in storing it and not abusing it!
Any riders in Atl,Ga wanna ride, pm me!!!

Dougald

What do you guys think of the new Yamaha triple, the FZ-09?

img.jpg

Supposedly 113bhp, ~65 lb-ft of torque, 414 lbs. $7990.

Looks nice, but doesn't touch the Street 3 if I'm honest. The MT-09 (EU name) is only £200 less than the Triumph, and I'd pay that for the looks. Plus the Yamaha has a stupid little 14 litre tank on it compared to the more sane 17.4L on the Triumph.

I finished the Motorcycle Training course over the weekend. My thoughts on the whole thing is that it was completely worth it. I'd never driven a Motorcycle before, so that first day was terrifying, but the more speed I gave it and the more I turned my head, the easier everything became. Also, it took a bit to get used to shifting with my foot, but now it's almost second nature (I keep trying to shift with my foot while driving my truck now).

I'm going for mine in 2 weeks. Really excited except for the schedule. The only opening I could manage for the range course is at 6:45am!

So, now that I kind of know what I'm doing, any recommendations for a good, cheap, reliable used bike to start out on? What are the good brands vs. the always in the shop brands? I'm completely new to the world of motorcycles, so any/all first time buying advice is appreciated.

The advice i keep hearing from folks is to get an inexpensive 250cc bike because once you get good you'll likely want to graduate to something better. I'm looking for some Rebels on craigslist, hoping to score an ok one for under 2k

Top Bottom