• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

demented

Biebs knows what's up!
justin-bieber-ducati-1115-02.jpg

What I mean by better is the way they look, and are usually better equipped in some way (abs, traction control, better brakes stuff like that).
All sports bikes are "too much" for the street if you look at what they can do, especially those here. We have small twisty roads and if I'm not mistaken 600cc are better on those, easier to flick etc That with using less tires, fuel and having all that extra power all around I'd never use puts me in 600cc camp. Well having more power could be beneficial in low end I guess but deadly if your attention falters for a second.
Every time I mention 1000cc I try to get someone to convince me to get it haha, 1098, panigale, s1000rr are just fap worthy :D
One more thing is I get bored of stuff faaast, 600cc will be fine for long time but at some point I'll want a step up and just going for one of my dream bikes now might be the end of it for many years and more cost efficient in the end.

Thing about ducati and maintenance, I'm anal as fuck(ha) and I always take very much care of my bikes and it's like an OCD.

I see a lot of people with 1000cc and they use them just fine but I don't know, I just can't decide.

^ haha what a dumb little squid.

I had a 600 (CBR600RR) and 750 (GSX-R750) before my 1000 (R1). Personally I prefer the 1000 - in particular this one - to the middleweights. It's much nicer to ride for me. I mostly hit twisty back roads, so the extra power everywhere is just really nice to have. You cannot run it as hard as a 600 as there's that much less for the 600 to give, and for that reason some people like 600s more because they like that feeling of winding the bike out a bit more.

I'd only say sports bikes are worthwhile if you plan on doing track days and spirited riding that involves a decent bit of cornering. Otherwise, a sport standard will actually be a better bike. Honestly for me probably close to 1/2 the time (much more on some days) a sport standard would be a better bike for me.

I'd steer clear of the Panigale, but that's just me. Not worth it (see write up on last page). In order to maintain your warranty you will have to eat maintenance costs that are somewhere in the realm of 7x greater than if you just did it yourself. Simple shit like oil/filter changes (ooo and air filter inspection...come on) will actually put a small hole in your wallet.

Watevaman

I'm the same way, but I'm years off buying a new bike. I've been in love with the new ZX-10R since I first saw it, and there's an allure with me to a bike that can do triple digits in first gear. I also see the practicality of each class of bike, which is why I also throw a Z1000, SV650, multiple 600s, etc. into my list, but somehow the ZX-10R (or an R1) just move back up to the top of the list.

I have some while to think about it, fortunately. Hopefully by the time I get around to finishing school I'll be out of the "boy racer" age group and insurance would be a bit more reasonable.

Haha, thanks to gearing you can get damn near 100mph on a 600 these days, too :p

I will say the current GSX-R750 or a Daytona 675R would be very tempting to me now if I was shopping around.

demented

^ haha what a dumb little squid.

I had a 600 (CBR600RR) and 750 (GSX-R750) before my 1000 (R1). Personally I prefer the 1000 - in particular this one - to the middleweights. It's much nicer to ride for me. I mostly hit twisty back roads, so the extra power everywhere is just really nice to have. You cannot run it as hard as a 600 as there's that much less for the 600 to give, and for that reason some people like 600s more because they like that feeling of winding the bike out a bit more.

I'd only say sports bikes are worthwhile if you plan on doing track days and spirited riding that involves a decent bit of cornering. Otherwise, a sport standard will actually be a better bike. Honestly for me probably close to 1/2 the time (much more on some days) a sport standard would be a better bike for me.

I'd steer clear of the Panigale, but that's just me. Not worth it (see write up on last page). In order to maintain your warranty you will have to eat maintenance costs that are somewhere in the realm of 7x greater than if you just did it yourself. Simple shit like oil/filter changes (ooo and air filter inspection...come on) will actually put a small hole in your wallet.
Kiss
JustinBieber_02_1620472a.jpg

haha jk jk
I see why some people would prefer 600 for reason you mentioned, pushing it a lot to get best of it does seem fun. One friend has gsxr1000, should ask him for his opinion tho he did say it is too much once.

Most of my riding will be in the city so 600/1000 doesn't matter much there(except fuel usage) but whenever I have time I take it to some back road, or even our main roads between cities are twisty as fuck, uphill downhill parts too.
This is the road I frequent because it goes from where I live to coastal town where I have vacation house: https://www.google.com/maps/preview...d42.3373508!3m2!1i1760!2i981!4f13.1!4i1&fid=0
If you zoom in a bit you can see is is all curves, corners and few straight lines. Or this one, here uphill car races happen(top part): https://www.google.com/maps/preview...d42.6168389!3m2!1i1760!2i981!4f13.1!4i1&fid=0

No tracks here so I'm SOL, no highways either or long straight roads so there's that too. I'm dead set on sport bikes because I really don't care about any other kind.

I'm the same way, but I'm years off buying a new bike. I've been in love with the new ZX-10R since I first saw it, and there's an allure with me to a bike that can do triple digits in first gear. I also see the practicality of each class of bike, which is why I also throw a Z1000, SV650, multiple 600s, etc. into my list, but somehow the ZX-10R (or an R1) just move back up to the top of the list.

I have some while to think about it, fortunately. Hopefully by the time I get around to finishing school I'll be out of the "boy racer" age group and insurance would be a bit more reasonable.
I love the new zx10r too, so smexy
Haha, thanks to gearing you can get damn near 100mph on a 600 these days, too :p
Here insurance isn't expensive and is same for everyone so I'm good \m/
I will say the current GSX-R750 or a Daytona 675R would be very tempting to me now if I was shopping around.
They are, but might add few 1k ccs to my list in case I find them lol.
(traveling and looking for perfect bike at right price so can't really decide on 1, got list of acceptable ones )

...yeah if I lived there I don't think I'd ever bother going to a track! That looks incredible.

If you're looking at 1000s, consider adding the S1000RR and RSV4 to your list!

demented

Yeah, I think what I'm going to do is study my ass off until 5th, finish exam and stay abroad until I find my bike :) Anything goes, I'll try it and see if it's too much, small, big etc

Now back to studying :D

The S1000RR is - really - good.

Haven't ridden the RSV4, though that thing sounds great.

As for those Bieber pics, it doesn't bother me too much, him being on that bike. It does fucking bother me that he doesn't even wear gloves.

That poor bike is going to end up trashed. Biebs always looks like he wants attention more than anything else. Usually, celebs who ride don't want that.

It also looks like his helmet is not tight... and hell no gloved and a sweat shirt. A slow spill and he is going to look like a pealed potato.

Friggen MotoGp was awesome yesterday.... I am glad for Valintino to get a first and I could not believe that Lorenzo was racing after a collerbone break. Tough as nails

GONZO

Thanks for the compliments, It's an MV Agusta brutale 800. Hands down the hardest bike to ride I've ever owned. But also one of the most fun.

Brick

So, I did my first of two sessions for the Motorcycle Training course on Saturday and I really liked it. Equal parts terrifying and exhilarating. The only real problem I have is disengaging the throttle to apply the front break. For some reason, anytime I go to the front break, I never fully release the throttle, causing all sorts of problems. Maybe that will stop happening with practice, but it's the only thing that I am having issues with currently. Really looking forward to getting back on the course.

GONZO

So, I did my first of two sessions for the Motorcycle Training course on Saturday and I really liked it. Equal parts terrifying and exhilarating. The only real problem I have is disengaging the throttle to apply the front break. For some reason, anytime I go to the front break, I never fully release the throttle, causing all sorts of problems. Maybe that will stop happening with practice, but it's the only thing that I am having issues with currently. Really looking forward to getting back on the course.

The easiest fix for this is to angle the rear brake further away. Loosen the the nuts that hold the brake lever assembly onto the handlebar then angle the lever further down. Down enough that you have to fully extend your hand in order to reach it. This will ensure that you release the throttle completely.

Brick

The easiest fix for this is to angle the rear brake further away. Loosen the the nuts that hold the brake lever assembly onto the handlebar then angle the lever further down. Down enough that you have to fully extend your hand in order to reach it. This will ensure that you release the throttle completely.

That's a great idea! I'm totally going to do this once I buy my first bike. I'm using the ones that they provide for the course right now. I wanted to make sure I enjoyed riding before I bought one ;)

GONZO

What exactly makes it hard to ride? And if I may ask, how much did it run you?

Well this particular bike has an extremely short wheelbase with over 125 hp going to the rear wheel. That makes the front end want to come right up whenever you apply the throttle. You constantly have to be wary of that. The front is always light and never feels planted in a straight line. You can get into a pretty bad tankslapper if you're not careful.

Additionally, the fuel mapping isn't perfect so you do get some surging at certain RPM's. Now with that being said the handling on this thing is telepathic and the power will rip your arms off above 6K RPM. The bike doesn't suffer newbies lightly but if your a decent rider man can you go fast on this thing. Like scary fast.

Well this particular bike has an extremely short wheelbase with over 125 hp going to the rear wheel. That makes the front end want to come right up whenever you apply the throttle. You constantly have to be wary of that. The front is always light and never feels planted in a straight line. You can get into a pretty bad tankslapper if you're not careful.

Additionally, the fuel mapping isn't perfect so you do get some surging at certain RPM's. Now with that being said the handling on this thing is telepathic and the power will rip your arms off above 6K RPM. The bike doesn't suffer newbies lightly but if your a decent rider man can you go fast on this thing. Like scary fast.

That sounds perfect :D

Did you trade in your 1100 or do you now own two Italian bikes?

GONZO

That sounds perfect :D

Did you trade in your 1100 or do you now own two Italian bikes?

Sadly I had to sell my EVO for this one. It had over 12 thousand miles on it already and the warranty ran out this month. I don't like riding bikes without a warranty now since I run them so hard. This piqued my interest and I got a great deal at 12,500 flat out the door so I jumped on it.

Sadly I had to sell my EVO for this one. It had over 12 thousand miles on it already and the warranty ran out this month. I don't like riding bikes without a warranty now since I run them so hard. This piqued my interest and I got a great deal at 12,500 flat out the door so I jumped on it.

Yeah, makes sense. With the added bonus that you get to experience something new.

I figured I was going to bond with my 1100s for life, but your description of the MV's ride is making me have second thoughts ;).

GONZO

Yeah, makes sense. With the added bonus that you get to experience something new.

I figured I was going to bond with my 1100s for life, but your description of the MV's ride is making me have second thoughts ;).

The monster is really a more refined ride. Where as the Brutale is a much more visceral experience. The bike wants to hurt you, lol. But if you can tame it man does it put a smile on your face. The only place that it's lacking in comparison to the monster is the fueling. Everywhere else it beats the monster hands down. To MV's credit they are releasing new fuel maps regularly and each revision is getting better. Thanks for the compliment Damaged.

Dougald

How is the new bike going? Are you enjoying it so much that you dont get time to post on gaf lol

It's a shame, I got on my Bonneville at the weekend, it felt like it weighed 20 tons, and twisting the throttle doesn't feel as satisfying any more - the Triumph redlines at the same point the power comes on with the Yamaha.. but then that's not the point with a Bonneville. The Fazer is a really fun bike, and I got to do some filtering (lane splitting) last night in rush hour and it makes the job really easy.

I've decided to put a stainless exhaust on the Fazer over the summer. I was originally just going to pull the pipes and re-paint them to save some cash, but as they have a reputation for rusting to pieces anyway, I figure I may as well just do the job once as I ride all year round. Still waiting for my luggage, but as I need to declare that on the insurance I'll put that on in September when I add the heated grips (and my current insurance expires).

It's a shame, I got on my Bonneville at the weekend, it felt like it weighed 20 tons, and twisting the throttle doesn't feel as satisfying any more - the Triumph redlines at the same point the power comes on with the Yamaha.. but then that's not the point with a Bonneville. The Fazer is a really fun bike, and I got to do some filtering (lane splitting) last night in rush hour and it makes the job really easy.

I've decided to put a stainless exhaust on the Fazer over the summer. I was originally just going to pull the pipes and re-paint them to save some cash, but as they have a reputation for rusting to pieces anyway, I figure I may as well just do the job once as I ride all year round. Still waiting for my luggage, but as I need to declare that on the insurance I'll put that on in September when I add the heated grips (and my current insurance expires).

Great stuff, glad you are enjoying the Fazer.

Damaged

Took the Aprilia in for a bit of work the other day and got a bit of a surprise as a loan bike

I have never really got the point of these things before hand, but after riding one I can see why people like them so much. Its cheap (£4800 brand new otr), comfortable, and simple. Sure its not fast (it was new so was running in at max 55mph but I hear that its happiest there) and the gear box requires allot of patience (clutch in 1.. 2.. down a gear 1... 2... clutch out) but it put a smile on my face bigger than allot of more expensive bikes have in the past.

Would be seriously tempted by one as a toy for sunny days when you don't feel like thrashing about

MV makes gorgeous bikes, but damn, they need to get their dealer and support network together. It's slowly getting better but it makes me cringe to know that the MV dealer is 3 hours from me and getting parts takes forever. Ducati parts typically take about 2 weeks from the factory, MV is often times twice that at least.

Would love to add this to the stable:

MV-Agusta-F3-675_2.jpg

Gritesh

I put my deposit down for an 1100 evo monster 5 weeks ago.

I was told the bike would be here in 5 weeks....still no update from Ducati, I'm going to miss out on this short riding season here in Canada, about to pull the plug if nothing comes down the pipe soon..

No point in paying for something in August when the season is over in September..

Yep... I wouldn't go for that either.

MV makes gorgeous bikes, but damn, they need to get their dealer and support network together. It's slowly getting better but it makes me cringe to know that the MV dealer is 3 hours from me and getting parts takes forever. Ducati parts typically take about 2 weeks from the factory, MV is often times twice that at least.

Would love to add this to the stable:

MV-Agusta-F3-675_2.jpg

Pure sex. Dear god.

Over 15.000 euro's here in the Netherlands though, hmmm.

Maybe I'll go for a testride on one of those F3 800s...

Brick

I finished the Motorcycle Training course over the weekend. My thoughts on the whole thing is that it was completely worth it. I'd never driven a Motorcycle before, so that first day was terrifying, but the more speed I gave it and the more I turned my head, the easier everything became. Also, it took a bit to get used to shifting with my foot, but now it's almost second nature (I keep trying to shift with my foot while driving my truck now).

So, now that I kind of know what I'm doing, any recommendations for a good, cheap, reliable used bike to start out on? What are the good brands vs. the always in the shop brands? I'm completely new to the world of motorcycles, so any/all first time buying advice is appreciated.

Dougald

Glad you enjoyed it, I found that once everything clicked for me I had a blast!

If you want reliable it's really got to be a nice low-ish capacity Japanese bike. I'm assuming you're in the US, most of you guys tend to go for something like a Ninja 250 as a starter as they are pretty plentiful over there (and the training course isn't that in-depth compared to the EU)

Looks like we have a heatwave in the UK for at least the next week.. I have some time off next week so am thinking about riding up to the Welsh countryside for the day. I need to change the oil/air filter in the Fazer first really though, so depends if I can be bothered to do that this weekend! Filter probably doesn't need doing yet, but I've bought a K&N washable filter - after having one in my last bike I swear by the things, and K&N warranty them for a million miles!

Took the Aprilia in for a bit of work the other day and got a bit of a surprise as a loan bike

I have never really got the point of these things before hand, but after riding one I can see why people like them so much. Its cheap (£4800 brand new otr), comfortable, and simple. Sure its not fast (it was new so was running in at max 55mph but I hear that its happiest there) and the gear box requires allot of patience (clutch in 1.. 2.. down a gear 1... 2... clutch out) but it put a smile on my face bigger than allot of more expensive bikes have in the past.

Would be seriously tempted by one as a toy for sunny days when you don't feel like thrashing about

Man, I almost bought that *exact* bike when I passed my test, but decided to get my Triumph instead for a bit more cash, as it's a little more reliable and will do 70mph! The Enfields are real lookers, though, wouldn't mind trading the Bonneville for one in a few years if the right deal came along

demented

Friend selling perfect k8 gsxr 600, registered, new tires, changed oil etc, always kept well but asking waaay too much. He's asking for 5k and k7 in similar state was sold for 3600 few weeks ago... I might offer him 4500 TOOOP but doubt he'll accept, or sell it heh.

demented

It's in euros tho, and bikes here are cheap because market isn't big and sometimes it can be hard to find a buyer (as I experienced myself with gladius).

I also found a K6 gsxr 750 pics here: http://www.autodiler.me/auto_oglasi_moto/100008

Price got down to 3700, maybe can get it less. Thoughts? Would need to do some more checking, posted ad I'm buying bike so I should be getting offers tomorrow but this seems like a good deal if bike is in perfect shape mechanically and legally. (a lot of stolen bikes here)

Friend just called, his friend's friend selling this for really low:
129014362_2008_4_GSX-R750_OrangeBlack.jpg

gonna see it tomorrow :D

Edit: This being k8 gsxr 750 and really low being really low :3

Top Bottom