• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Gritesh

Here she is yesterday at the stealership

IMAG0069_zpse71b9bb6.jpg

Gritesh

So I got the chance to get out and about on it today.

First things first:

Its rough, choppy and loud, not like my I-4's I have ridden before.

It does not have a fuel gauge....wait what? I'm so used to having a fuel gauge on my other bike. It's going to take some getting used to to know when I have to fuel it up, it has a warning light when there is about 3.5 litres left.

Its much more comfortable than my RR bike, however it still feels aggressive and agile, I haven't opened it up yet as I was told to wait 1000km's to really wind her out.

Also, I'm proud. There is some sort of weird feeling owning a Ducati, maybe its just me but it feels great to finally be at the helm of one.

So I got the chance to get out and about on it today.

First things first:

Its rough, choppy and loud, not like my I-4's I have ridden before.

It does not have a fuel gauge....wait what? I'm so used to having a fuel gauge on my other bike. It's going to take some getting used to to know when I have to fuel it up, it has a warning light when there is about 3.5 litres left.

Its much more comfortable than my RR bike, however it still feels aggressive and agile, I haven't opened it up yet as I was told to wait 1000km's to really wind her out.

Also, I'm proud. There is some sort of weird feeling owning a Ducati, maybe its just me but it feels great to finally be at the helm of one.

Looks great in black, congrats :).

On the subject of roughness... I once test rode an 1100 evo and the engine felt a little 'raspier' than my 1100s. Probably has something do with the race exhaust and ecu on my own bike. It's expensive as hell, but worth the trouble somewhere down the line. It really transforms the bike imho, it's as if it breathes a little easier, the restraints come off and it's really able to stretch its legs. It seems a lot smoother now.

And I just use the odometer as a fuel gauge. Just remember to reset it every time you refuel. I can go about 200km's on 10 liters of fuel (that leaves 3.5 reserve, yep).

TxdoHawk

So, I've been meaning to take the MSF RiderCourse for a few years now, but one thing has been hanging me up.

I always see "participants must be able to ride and balance on a bicycle." in course notes. I can, but I haven't ever seriously ridden a bike for more than a few weeks at a time, and I only learned how to ride when I was around 21 or 22. What I'm trying to say is, if you'd put me on a bicycle today, I'd manage, but I'd probably be a little wobbly.

So, is this a dealbreaker? I always see this mentioned, but I have a hard time believing every last person who takes the RiderCourse is a decent bicyclist with recent riding experience. I'll buy a bike and practice if it is, but if it's overblown, that's money I could be spending on other stuff I need to take the course (I have a giant head, so I wouldn't be shocked to find out none of the loaners fit and I'll need my own helmet, for example.)

Watevaman

So, I've been meaning to take the MSF RiderCourse for a few years now, but one thing has been hanging me up.

I always see "participants must be able to ride and balance on a bicycle." in course notes. I can, but I haven't ever seriously ridden a bike for more than a few weeks at a time, and I only learned how to ride when I was around 21 or 22. What I'm trying to say is, if you'd put me on a bicycle today, I'd manage, but I'd probably be a little wobbly.

So, is this a dealbreaker? I always see this mentioned, but I have a hard time believing every last person who takes the RiderCourse is a decent bicyclist with recent riding experience. I'll buy a bike and practice if it is, but if it's overblown, that's money I could be spending on other stuff I need to take the course (I have a giant head, so I wouldn't be shocked to find out none of the loaners fit and I'll need my own helmet, for example.)

Can you coast on a bike in a straight line? Maybe make some nice u-turns in a roadway without crashing? If not, I'd say practice a little until you're comfortable. In most of the MSF situations, the motorcycle is like a heavier bicycle, where balance is key along with some throttle and clutch control. If you have the balance part down, you'll be able to focus much better on the throttle and clutch.

Dougald

Buy a cheap used pushbike and practice on that until you can ride smoothly, at least as much for your own confidence as anything else

I hadn't ridden a bicycle in 10 years when I first rode a motorcycle, but I learnt as a Kid and rode pretty much every day until I was in my mid-teens, so you don't really forget that.. not that I was any good beyond being able to cycle in a straight line.

TxdoHawk

Thanks for the advice, guys. Guess I will just bite the bullet and get a cheapie to practice on. I could probably stand to get some exercise, anyway.

any of you ridden a ducati diavel? how is it for low speed work in heavy city traffic? (i spend a lot of time in seattle traffic to get anywhere interesting.) is it smooth at low rpms, or does it require a lot of clutch nanny work?

Anyone have advice on track pads for brakes on the 1199? It's a 4 pad If that matters.

I'd go with OE when it comes to brakes? Or is that silly?

any of you ridden a ducati diavel? how is it for low speed work in heavy city traffic? (i spend a lot of time in seattle traffic to get anywhere interesting.) is it smooth at low rpms, or does it require a lot of clutch nanny work?

Here's what Ducati has to say on the Diavel's clutch:

Light action, wet, multiplate clutch with hydraulic control. Self-servo action on drive, slipper action on over-run.

Sounds like it should be quite 'pliable'. Which should compensate for the fact that a big twin is always going to require a bit of babying at low speeds.

Dougald

Beautiful weather for once. Sitting at the traffic lights on my way back from work I really regretted wearing my leather jacket, made all the worse by the inferno of heat attacking my legs coming from the air-cooled Bonneville engine.

I had to change the battery on my Yamaha yesterday, the old one died on me while I was out at the weekend. At least I learnt how to push start it.... Not my year for batteries, that makes 3 in less than 12 months.

Heh, not sure it matters that now that you are banned, but the Diavel is a really easy bike to ride. Put it in 100hp mode for the city and it just moves right along. The clutch is light as heck, especially compared to my Streetfighter.

gatti-man

I'd go with OE when it comes to brakes? Or is that silly?

Here's what Ducati has to say on the Diavel's clutch:

Sounds like it should be quite 'pliable'. Which should compensate for the fact that a big twin is always going to require a bit of babying at low speeds.

For the track oe is ok but there are better and cheaper options. OE is serviceable though.

I've gotten great performance out of EBC pads. They have some track/race pads that I haven't tried (not supposed to be for street use), too.

Looks great!

(Safety wiring is to make certain track orgs happy.) As my sprocket nuts are locknuts I feel fine, though safety wiring certainly leaves nothing to chance.

Doing some pre-shopping for bikes and 3 dealerships I've been to say that the Ducati 696, the Ninja 650 (ABS) and Honda CB500F are great starter bikes.

what?

again, there's newbie bikes, and there are bikes newbies can ride. the ninja 650 and the monster 696 are the latter, although the throttle response and low speed fueling won't help you build confidence quickly. the cb500f/x and the cbr500r are fine starter bikes, though.

I'm on no rush to purchase but I will give each one a good try. I'm also looking at a Ninja 300, Suzuki Gladius.

Any pointers on what to look for or do during a bike test drive?

Dougald

CB500 is designed as a Newbie bike, but it's more for Europe where we have the more stringent test regulations. As I understand it was basically designed to be an A2 class bike, it's exactly on the limit of power for that class of license. But I probably wouldn't recommend it to someone who doesn't have to go through the EU training regulations to get there - plus apparently it needs a valve clearance check at just 600 miles..

Here's that easy to understand table.. I am glad I got my direct access in a few years ago before they raised the age to 25, or I'd only just be taking my test!

Doing some pre-shopping for bikes and 3 dealerships I've been to say that the Ducati 696, the Ninja 650 (ABS) and Honda CB500F are great starter bikes.

what?

agin, thre's newbie bikes, and there are bikes newbies can ride. the ninja 650 and the monster 696 are the latter, although the throttle response and low speed fueling won't help you build confidence quickly. the cb500f/x and the cbr500r are fine starter bikes, though.

True, excellent fucking bike nevertheless (the 696, very nimble and not too high). But yeah, I say that as a European (takes some effort to get a license here).

gatti-man

So I had a high speed lowside yesterday. Going around 140mph as I had my knee down so I'm fine but the bike flipped, has a dented tank and tweaked swing arm. It's most likely totaled however there is a silver lining.

The times I was putting down are cmra competitive (local racing circuit) and I wrecked due to being greedy passing 3 guys ran wide into the garbage and lost the front. So I'm looking at picking up a track 600cc bike and start getting my license next season.

So R6 or GSXR? Any years to avoid? My budget is around 8k at the moment unless I take out a loan.

I'm on no rush to purchase but I will give each one a good try. I'm also looking at a Ninja 300, Suzuki Gladius.

Any pointers on what to look for or do during a bike test drive?

Well, assuming they are new bikes, it's mainly going to be down to how they feel to you comfort-wise, power-wise, etc. The Ninja 300 is supposed to be so good...honestly I kinda want one.

If you're testing a used bike make sure it can pass inspection (the dealer should take care of this part if you're buying from one) and check things like chain wear/condition, tires, and any indicators of care vs. abuse. On a test ride, make sure it shifts smoothly, idles properly, runs fine through the revs, and is STABLE. A bike that shakes is cause for worry.

If you don't fully know what to look for, have a friend come along that can help.

So I had a high speed lowside yesterday. Going around 140mph as I had my knee down so I'm fine but the bike flipped, has a dented tank and tweaked swing arm. It's most likely totaled however there is a silver lining.

The times I was putting down are cmra competitive (local racing circuit) and I wrecked due to being greedy passing 3 guys ran wide into the garbage and lost the front. So I'm looking at picking up a track 600cc bike and start getting my license next season.

So R6 or GSXR? Any years to avoid? My budget is around 8k at the moment unless I take out a loan.

Yeah well I bet that sprocket didn't budge... :p (glad you're OK...so sorry about the bike)

The R6 is one of the most-raced 600s of the past few years and is an excellent choice. There are so many in circulation among track goers that parts are extremely easy to find. You can find lots of them already track prepped with Sharkskinz etc. While there are some 600s that lap quicker, the reliability and solid pedigree of the R6 makes it a top choice to me for a track bike. I've ridden the GSX-R middleweights from 2006 through 2010, and personally owned a 2007 750. They are nice and stable but they have somewhat slow steering for a middleweight bike. The 2011 and up GSX-R 600/750 has a shortened wheelbase and is supposed to be much more agile. That said, the R6 is pretty much the way to go. That or an SV650, but the R6 is way more track-ready than an SV.

Lookin' great, Gonzo!

no daytona 675r? those have been all over track days here.

8k budget...I know I wouldn't finance a track bike :p

low end torque not enough?

The Superquadro is not like the 1098 or 1198 engine. It's pretty top-end biased (very much so for a twin). It does make good power in the upper end, and luckily it revs quickly. That said, there is a reason why the 1199R got titanium internals swapped in and +2 in the rear...stock gearing on the 1199/1199S is not going to give you the low/mid that many twin riders are accustomed to. Since most people don't need all the 170rwhp, gearing down a bit is likely worthwhile.

Gritesh

I'm looking at ordering some leather pants today. I don't go to the task but I do enjoy very 'spirited' riding.

I was looking to spend around 300 give or take... Any recommendations? Agv willows are pretty affordable but I was also looking at the dainese trophy evo as well.. Any recommendations for around that price point? I have a Joe rocket radar mesh/leather jacket.

Also want to order boots today too.. Looking at sidi vertigo and puma desmo... Opinions or recommendations there too please.

By the way I ride a ducati monster 1100 in black, something that looks good with that bike would be a bonus

GONZO

Gritesh,

All of my track gear is AGV. The price to performance on their stuff is unmatched. I would definitely get those willow pants.

Gritesh

Gritesh,

All of my track gear is AGV. The price to performance on their stuff is unmatched. I would definitely get those willow pants.

Yeah I ordered the willows and the puma desmo, I know I know sidi is good but I really like the aesthetics of the pumas and hear they are really comfy

Plus with the money I save going with them I can get something else down the road

Are smaller bikes really more fun in the corners?

I have a Ninja 250 now (~6500km). Don't plan on upgrading soon, but I wonder if I would end up regretting it for the aforementioned reason.

I've never ridden anything else, aside from a 125 at the safety course.

Dougald

Depends what you mean by "more fun" - I used to have a blast throwing my ST1100 around corners, and the handling was so smooth it's the most confident I've ever felt riding the little British country roads! I had smaller chicken strips on my tyres on that bike than anything else I've owned, weirdly enough.

Depends what you mean by "more fun" - I used to have a blast throwing my ST1100 around corners, and the handling was so smooth it's the most confident I've ever felt riding the little British country roads! I had smaller chicken strips on my tyres on that bike than anything else I've owned, weirdly enough.

Dunno, just something I've heard. That it's easier to lean the little bikes over etc. I'm completely ignorant as I haven't ridden anything else yet, just curious.

Though, smoothly handling a big bike is probably pretty rewarding when it all clicks, I imagine.

It's subjective, the only way to really know if you'll like it is whenever you try riding a bigger bike. Not only that, each bike is going to feel different from each other.

I love the way my zx6 feels, I enjoy it more than the 250r and just a little more over the 650r. My zx10 feels like doodoo, though I should probably set up that suspension someday.

^ I keep drooling over the Street Triple R... I just wish it had about 40-50 less hp! lol

My friend is thinking of going to a 650R or maybe a 636, the latter is a pretty big jump from a 250.

Small bikes are ”fun” as they're more forgiving and it's the old adage of ”slow bike fast rather than fast bike slow”. Same with cars, a miata is still one of the best handling cars even if and because it's underpowered.

But yeah, the jump from 250 to 600 is quite uh, a blast but it will make you glad you started small because you don't have to worry about the beginner stuff.

Dougald

Weirdly I'm much more comfortable on larger bikes, they feel more planted on the road and I guess just give me more confidence to go round that corner.

I started on a 125 learning as we all do here, which I hated. It was only when I swapped to a GS550 that it clicked. Not hugely fast but a brilliant bike.

Dougald

Thank god filtering/lane splitting is legal here, I just squeezed my bike through some of the worst traffic I've ever had in London. Made me so glad to be on 2 wheels!

Wasn't all bad, I had a surprisingly nice number of drivers go out of their way to let me through (and only one person intentionally block me).

Top Bottom