• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Gritesh

I think I'm going to get the Radar jacket.

Its pretty versatile and it can zip up to my joe rocket leather pants too!

I see the helmet is basically a 1/2 too, but you know what? Something like that will be perfect for around town runs, it looks badass, and then for longer trips/more aggressive riding I can use my full face!

I am debating between a few jackets and thought maybe you guys could help me decide:

Whichever fits better/offers better protection between the Dainese and Alpinestars. Honestly if you get a fully perforated leather jacket you will have more than enough air (more than a worthwhile textile, but less than mesh...which isn't worthwhile, anyway). Riding with textile annoys me, personally.

Gritesh

Yeah thats kind of why I went to the Joe Rocket Radar, it has leather where you would need it, but also some mesh/textile areas that allow for some high breathability.

I also like the styling of the jacket, and the race hump is cool heh.

The Paningale looks awesome but I always thought it was for people who have money to burn on bikes to look at rather than to ride regularly.. but then so is the Bonneville for most owners I guess, so I can't talk!

Here's the new bike then:

I'm really pleased with the bike so far (even has 2 new tyres on it!). I just need to order a top box before the winter and I should be set. It's the last year they had carbs on this model, so it needs a bit of warming up, but nowhere near what my perennially cold-blooded Bonneville does. The only thing that's really wrong with it is the paint has flaked off the lower end of the downpipes, which is a pretty common problem. I'll get them off sometime before winter (untreated mild steel + salty British winter roads is not a good mix) to repaint or replace with stainless downpipes. Luckily there is no rust on them so repainting is an easy option.

I also got it for nearly £600 less than I was paid for the ST1100, so plenty of cash left over for accessories..

Awesome bike mate.. and I hope you enjoy it. It looks in really good condition.

What topbox are you looking for?

Dougald

I just ordered a Givi B47:

D89S8xy.jpg

The mount for my bike is out of stock at the place I ordered from, but I'm not planning to put the top box on for a few months anyway as I use my Triumph for work in the summer.

I'm also looking at installing some Datatool heated grips before the winter. Apparently they can sense when the bike is running, allowing you to wire direct to the battery instead of cutting into the wiring loom for a switched power source.

I just ordered a Givi B47:

D89S8xy.jpg

The mount for my bike is out of stock at the place I ordered from, but I'm not planning to put the top box on for a few months anyway as I use my Triumph for work in the summer.

I'm also looking at installing some Datatool heated grips before the winter. Apparently they can sense when the bike is running, allowing you to wire direct to the battery instead of cutting into the wiring loom for a switched power source.

Great stuff, that is the same shape topbox I had... its just a good size to fit one helmet and some gloves. What can does the bike have on? The standard?

Dougald

It's the same size box as the Givi I had on my ST1100, which will fit 2 lids (if you're good at Tetris), so the perfect size really.

Yeah its the standard can and downpipes (which have lost their paint at the bottom, no rust yet but I either need to repaint or put stainless ones on really)

The standard can is actually great for me. It's almost completely silent at low revs but sounds really, really nice if you take it over 6000rpm. Perfect as sometimes I'm leaving early in the morning and don't want to wake up the neighbourhood when I do, though if it was just a weekend bike you would probably want it a little louder.

Its always nice to have it quiet when you start it up and then make a nice noise when you give it some stick.

I have the smaller model of topbox as I did not wanted a big box on the back, if it hangs off too far from the back it give me trouble in the wind. But then the one you got looks good. Some of the Givi once look a bit crap with all the built in lights and stuff.

Dougald

I prefer the look of the smaller box but it's hard to go back from the practicality once you're used to it..

The Givi accessories are just weird though. I get the brake light package if (and only if) you have a Goldwing, but why on earth would you need remote locking for a top box?

Sarcasm

lane splitting (or filtering as it's called here) is the whole point of riding a bike in London. It's not like riding bike is fun in London but it's the quickest way to get from A to B.

Sounds good. That guy riding is crazy though. IDK about lane splitting. lol

This is mild..should see what I have to do here to get to A to B quickly..holy lol. I am in Taiwan -.-

I prefer the look of the smaller box but it's hard to go back from the practicality once you're used to it..

The Givi accessories are just weird though. I get the brake light package if (and only if) you have a Goldwing, but why on earth would you need remote locking for a top box?

Spot on... some of the topboxs looks like they fit on a goldwing. haha.

http://vimeo.com/31288625

Kind of an old video but it's worth a watch if you haven't seen it. A couple of friends of mine are taking a trip from LA to Seattle at the end of July. I'm extremely jealous that I can't joint them. Hopefully one day I'll take my bike across the country.

Brick

So I signed up for a beginner Motorcycle course over the next two weekends. Anything I should know going in/what do you wish someone had told you when you first started riding?

So I signed up for a beginner Motorcycle course over the next two weekends. Anything I should know going in/what do you wish someone had told you when you first started riding?

The courses tend to be quite friendly - they expect you to be a beginner. Advice? Don't over think it. Go there ready to learn and have fun!

Gritesh

Awesome, good choice taking the course!

Uhm.. Don't look down? You end up where your looking.
And maybe the fact that target fixation is real.

You should watch 'twist of the wrist' it's on YouTube and you can learn alot from that video

Oh yeah, and have fun!!!!

Get a good nights rest and drink load of water the day before and on the day. You are going to be sweating like a baller.... its all good fun and if you get tired rather rest than push yourself as that is when you start making mistakes.

But as the other guys said.... have fun and dont over think it

848-750-675-600 cc sports bike :p one of those, gonna buy it after I'm done with my exam on 5th and can travel.
Still debating 1000cc but hm

Didn't post them :p

675! I've been looking at them lately and I'm starting to really want one, which is a bad idea. The R seems like a pretty good value for only $1900 more; ohlins forks & shocks, brembos, quickshifter, carbon fiber front fender & rear hugger.

So were the sexy pictures for personal use? lol

Learn to ride a bicycle if you can't already. As everyone else said, don't over think and have fun. =]

Watevaman

I need to practice slow speed stuff now that you're talking about beginner stuff. My clubman bars mean I can't turn lock to lock without catching my wrist, and I end up feeling unstable and put a leg down. Almost 5k miles of riding and I can't u-turn on a 2 lane backroad :(

Flo_Evans

Just got back from a week long trip at the Tail of the Dragon. I've been riding for 16 years now. Never in my life have I been on a road like that, it's absolutely insane. More tiring then any trackday I've ever gone to. If anyone ever has the chance to go there I would definitely recommend it. The amazing thing is that it's not just the dragon, there are literally hundreds of miles of roads that are just as amazing in that area.

Dragon2_zpseeb17afd.jpg

]

Which one of these do you guys think I should buy a full res copy of??

This one.

Also I need to go back to the dragon. Most fun bike trip ever.

Brick

The weather is going to be over 100 degrees on Saturday, according to the forecast. Looks like I'll be on a steady diet of water and sunblock for most of that day. Thanks again to everyone for the advice!

Gritesh

Speaking of slow speed, do you guys have to do slow speed obstacle course at your msf course?

I'm Canadian and my whole course and my road test was based on slow speed, we had to do maneuvers at slow speed and obstacles and a figure 8 which was the hardest cause it was so tight you could fit your figure eight into two parking stalls.

I know they changed the road test now here to an actual on the road portion but I was wondering if you guys get mostly slow speed training elsewhere

Watevaman

Speaking of slow speed, do you guys have to do slow speed obstacle course at your msf course?

I'm Canadian and my whole course and my road test was based on slow speed, we had to do maneuvers at slow speed and obstacles and a figure 8 which was the hardest cause it was so tight you could fit your figure eight into two parking stalls.

I know they changed the road test now here to an actual on the road portion but I was wondering if you guys get mostly slow speed training elsewhere

My msf course was all under 20/25 mph on a closed course. We did swerving, slalom in 2nd gear and figure 8 stuff.

One of our clients just bought a $40000 Harley. So fucking loud. Our building windows almost shattered.

Is it only me, or is that just way too much money to spend on a bike, regardless of what it is? I love me some motorcycles, but I just wouldn't be able to justify spending so much on one.

Watevaman

I guess if you've got the money, you might buy something a little bit nicer than normal. I know if I had the money, I'd buy a more expensive bike like a Bimota.

Dougald

If you're spending that much on a bike that you'll actually use, it's gotta be a Goldwing!

Though I'd probably just buy a car, or nothing at all.

Kraftwerk

I guess if you've got the money, you might buy something a little bit nicer than normal. I know if I had the money, I'd buy a more expensive bike like a Bimota.

Indeed. I work in the bicycle industry, and we have clients who spend $15000-$30000 on bicycles. Some of them barely ride it,

Heads up, this weekend is MotoGP. Round 7 in the Netherlands

Iveco TT Assen

Pos. Num. Rider Nation
1 35 Cal CRUTCHLOW GBR
2 93 Marc MARQUEZ SPA
3 6 Stefan BRADL GER
4 46 Valentino ROSSI ITA
5 26 Dani PEDROSA SPA
6 38 Bradley SMITH GBR

Enjoy

^ Marquez has had a pretty amazing start this season, I'm hoping Pedrosa can win his first championship this season. He's consistently fast with lots of podium finishes, but he seems to break so easily if he crashes.

I wouldn't mind a Panigale...but for the price I'd probably buy a car instead lol.

demented

675! I've been looking at them lately and I'm starting to really want one, which is a bad idea. The R seems like a pretty good value for only $1900 more; ohlins forks & shocks, brembos, quickshifter, carbon fiber front fender & rear hugger.

So were the sexy pictures for personal use? lol
^ Marquez has had a pretty amazing start this season, I'm hoping Pedrosa can win his first championship this season. He's consistently fast with lots of podium finishes, but he seems to break so easily if he crashes.

I wouldn't mind a Panigale...but for the price I'd probably buy a car instead lol.

I like Marquez, but he got hurt didn't he, hope he does ok during the race. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xo_-QyIYYY
dat slow mo

Pictures are.. somewhere :p

As for the bike yeah, any of these 3 would be great: ducati 848, triumph 675, suzuki 750 gsxr.
I've been debating again for 1000cc (asked before here) but still, it's just so much. They ARE better, look better etc but cost more to buy and maintain and are so too much for street, and having no tracks or straight roads here meh. So I'll make due with what i have, gonna buy in week or two :)

^Can't view the video at work =[ I can see all the videos from the motogp website perfectly find though haha.

Marquez crashed during FP3, but he didn't get any injuries and still qualified 2nd in the end. Lorenzo crashed too and is sitting out of the race after he just got surgery.

demented

Video said he suffered fractures of little finger and a toe plus bruising but even with that 2nd, hope he does good in the race :O

Gotta make sure Pedrosa doesn't build even more of a lead lol.

So one of my good friend's brother decided to take his bike out on a joy ride one time and wreck his bike. Since his brother had no money, he had to fix it out of his own pocket even though it wasn't his fault. It's been sitting around in my garage for a little under a year since he was still in school and didn't exactly have the funds to fix it. Since he graduated and has a good job now, I helped him get his bike back up and running in about a month. I wish I had a before picture, but the bike used to be all black. We got some ebay fairings and got them to paint it a new scheme that wasn't available for the older cbr's. Gotta say, I'm happy to see it all nice and shiny again and I think the new paint looks great.

Some of the things we needed to repair/replace included:
  • Bike wouldn't start (wire got pinched when wrecked and it was hard as hell to find the issue)
  • Forks were bent
  • Front wheel bent
  • broken clip ons
  • Fairings were all cracked and rashed
  • Rearsets broke
There were more, but I can't remember off the top of my head. He had it brought to a dealer first before bringing it to my house and for some reason the dealer stole a bunch of things from the bike and claimed they never touched it. I was missing 3 relays, fuses, the tip over sensor, random bolts from the back of the bike were gone, etc. It was a huge hassle to try to deal with them and eventually we said fuck it and just purchased everything ourselves from the forums and ebay.

Now I just need my wheels back from being powdercoated and I can go ride again too.

I like Marquez, but he got hurt didn't he, hope he does ok during the race. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xo_-QyIYYY
dat slow mo

Pictures are.. somewhere :p

As for the bike yeah, any of these 3 would be great: ducati 848, triumph 675, suzuki 750 gsxr.
I've been debating again for 1000cc (asked before here) but still, it's just so much. They ARE better, look better etc but cost more to buy and maintain and are so too much for street, and having no tracks or straight roads here meh. So I'll make due with what i have, gonna buy in week or two :)

Can't imagine an 848 costing more to maintain than a 1098. Maybe you'd wear out the tires a little bit quicker on the 1098. But eh, if you're worried about something being 'too much' for the street. The 848 probably well crosses that line, haha. 140 hp @ 168 kilogram.

That's fucking crazy. My 998 probably had about 125 hp @ 195 kilogram. Which already was too much for the street (though there were some ergonomic concerns with that bike as well). Traded it in for the 1100 I have now. All torque, much better suited for street use.

Not sure why you'd say all the litre bikes are better. All depends on what kind of bike it is. Perhaps an R1 is a little less nervous than an R6 and therefore it's easier to not act like a total hooligan every time you get on it...

In the end though... stretching the legs on any modern bike is going to be so far removed from the bounds of law that it doesn't really matter anyway.

Just hope no one sees you. The only thing you should really try to make sure of is your own safety.

I do like my 1100 though because I can wring quite a lot out of that bike without it being too crazy or unsafe... it's got about a 100 hp, perfect.

Have been eyeing an 848 however...

Top Bottom