• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

so you actually bought it? loool. pics pls.

and +1 on the guzzi. the stone in white... unf.

don't laugh. it's comfortable as hell and makes good low-end torque. :-( it's a baby goldwing. :-(

C0Uk0E4.jpg

i take the zook to bike nights and group rides, though!

C31opi5.jpg

Why on earth would you buy brand new for your first bike, ESPECIALLY when you don't want to keep it that long?

You'll almost certainly drop it (yes, we had this conversation a few pages back but worth repeating), and you'll lose a load on the resale value. Just get a cheap used bike, ride that for a year or two and then you can think about splurging on the bike you *really* want

I agree on used, but with the small Ninjas, even new ones tend to hold their value very well. Although it's a high possibility, you will not necessarily drop your first bike. I did not (and the same is true for others here).

Dougald

I agree on used, but with the small Ninjas, even new ones tend to hold their value very well. Although it's a high possibility, you will not necessarily drop your first bike. I did not (and the same is true for others here).

Oh I wasn't saying it for sure, I'm just saying, it's his first bike, it's clearly not his dream bike, so why waste the money on brand new, especially given the higher risk of damaging it?

Surely the dealer could do a decent deal on a recent model if you don't want to risk buying a random old privately. I would rather get some practice on something cheap and then move up to that Street Triple or whatever, rather than taking a larger residual hit on a more expensive new bike.

Of course he will do whatever feels right for him. I can't really talk as I immediately bought my dream Bonneville as my first bike (though admittedly not brand new). Took me 2 years to drop that and it was due to a gravel road and heatstroke, so..

most of the folks i know who dropped their first bike either got a race replica or a heavy bike (big cruiser or top-heavy adv/touring ride). a ninja is light and centered and not inclined to buck if you juice it too much, nor does it significantly fork dive or have bitey brakes overall. just remember to check your kickstand!

Fixed1979

Surely the dealer could do a decent deal on a recent model if you don't want to risk buying a random old privately. I would rather get some practice on something cheap and then move up to that Street Triple or whatever, rather than taking a larger residual hit on a more expensive new bike.

Kawasaki is offering discounts on their 2013 models, but after talking to the dealer and checking out a few forums there doesn't appear to be any new ones left anywhere.

I did end up putting down my $500 deposit so they are bringing in the 2014 SE for me. Pretty pumped to be able to ride again before the cold comes.

Dougald

most of the folks i know who dropped their first bike either got a race replica or a heavy bike (big cruiser or top-heavy adv/touring ride). a ninja is light and centered and not inclined to buck if you juice it too much, nor does it significantly fork dive or have bitey brakes overall. just remember to check your kickstand!

And turn the handlebars to one side, even if you've just put it on the stand to put your lid on

...not that I'd know from experience of turning around to grab lid, and turning back to find it rolling off the stand. Luckily I managed to put a stop to that!

I did end up putting down my $500 deposit so they are bringing in the 2014 SE for me. Pretty pumped to be able to ride again before the cold comes.

As I said you did what feels right for you - I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Any idea on how long you have to wait?

Fixed1979

And turn the handlebars to one side, even if you've just put it on the stand to put your lid on

...not that I'd know from experience of turning around to grab lid, and turning back to find it rolling off the stand. Luckily I managed to put a stop to that!

As I said you did what feels right for you - I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Any idea on how long you have to wait?

For sure, it's always good to hear options that I may not have considered. The dealership claimed it would be around a week, so I'm hoping that by next weekend I can go for a ride.

Flo_Evans

Bleh rear flat on the highway this morning on my way to work. Exciting...

Not sure what happened, seems like the tube just failed. Back end got all wobbly and I pulled over pretty quick. Tire was completely deflated by the time I got off the bike. Lucky my bro has a pickup truck :p

it's a solid hooligan bike, and good for urban/suburban riding in particular. suzuki's 649cc v-twin is refined and it has the smoothest torque curve of any bike i've ridden. a newbie could start on it, but it has a snatchy throttle at low speeds and requires a deft touch in parking lots -- if your clutch feathering skills are weak, it could give a n00b a little insecurity. the fit-and-finish is amazing. gearbox is slick, and handling is great, too. it feels far more substantial and grunty than a cb500. i actually preferred it to the monster 696, which makes me insane in some circles, and i liked the added (better distributed) weight and the tactile response from the controls.

or just put it in first! :lol i swear, some of you and your neutral fetish...

Fixed1979

it's a solid hooligan bike, and good for urban/suburban riding in particular. suzuki's 649cc v-twin is refined and it has the smoothest torque curve of any bike i've ridden. a newbie could start on it, but it has a snatchy throttle at low speeds and requires a deft touch in parking lots -- if your clutch feathering skills are weak, it could give a n00b a little insecurity. the fit-and-finish is amazing. gearbox is slick, and handling is great, too. it feels far more substantial and grunty than a cb500. i actually preferred it to the monster 696, which makes me insane in me circles, and i liked the added (better distributed) weight and the tactile response from the controls.

Looks great in all black. I don't think I've seen one of these since the original colour schemes, blue and white and I think red and white, wasn't a big fan of those.

Ninja 300 is going to be sold out "indefinitely" according to my local deal so i'm going to check out a 2012 CBR250. Anyone here ride that particular model?

Fixed1979

Ninja 300 is going to be sold out "indefinitely" according to my local deal so i'm going to check out a 2012 CBR250. Anyone here ride that particular model?

It was one of the bikes they had at my course. Out of the ones I rode it was my least favorite, I just couldn't get comfortably using it...Though the value of my opinion on bikes from a scale of 1-10 would probably be a 1.

i rode a cbr250 for a year. it's a very friendly, civil bike with a smooth gearbox that will let you focus on the road, not the bike. highly recommended. i learned a lot riding it, especially in traffic. i can think of a number of city riding situations that woud have gone poorly for me if i were on a friskier or more demanding bike, and the skills i developed were worth the delayed gratification. i've had my handling and urban navigation skills praised several times on group rides, and it's thanks to what i learned on 250cc.

that said, i also can't seem to fight bike lust, in myself or others. all can say is: please stay away from the inline-4 race replicas or v4 heavy bikes until you REALLY understand what throttle control means and how to corner (and/or resist target fixation), respectively. NO image-obsessed, peer-enabled n00b on an "rr" has ended up persisting with the hobby beyond six months, in my experience, and the lucky ones got to walk away.

Looking forward to testing it and the money I save instead of going for the Ninja 300 can go into some quality riding gear. I'm somewhat torn between the ABS and non-abs models for the 250r. I'm not going to be riding on the freeway, the bike is mainly for local travel and some canyon cruising which makes me think ABS isn't really going to be a factor. Plus I feel like a year learning to ride proper on a non-ABS bike is going to allow me to develop some real world skills.

So excited :D

Looking forward to testing it and the money I save instead of going for the Ninja 300 can go into some quality riding gear. I'm somewhat torn between the ABS and non-abs models for the 250r. I'm not going to be riding on the freeway, the bike is mainly for local travel and some canyon cruising which makes me think ABS isn't really going to be a factor. Plus I feel like a year learning to ride proper on a non-ABS bike is going to allow me to develop some real world skills.

So excited :D

abs is great if you ride year round. also i can't think of a downside to NOT locking up your rear tire!

Watevaman

Can you turn off ABS on modern sportbikes?

If I ever get a ZX-10R or something in the future, I'll be sure to get ABS if I have the extra funds. I'm "lucky" enough to have a bike right now that seemingly won't lock either wheel in the dry.

TomServo

Fucking squids.

I had the audacity to pass a couple of squids who were doing the stereotypical-park-in-the-corner, blast-down-the-road routine. Didn't fly by them, just took one of the few fun little s-curves we have at a reasonable speed instead of crawling through with my feet off the pegs.

I'm rewarded with a 100+ mph flyby a foot away from me in my lane.

I sleep at night knowing they won't be riding in six months after they've wadded up their old ZX-7Rs and GSX500Fs and end up in the ER.

w00t, spoke to my local dealer and i'm good to go with the CBR250R (ABS edition). Will be picking it up next weekend! Now comes the hard part....what color to choose (why is the effin Repsol edition not an option for ABS!!!!!)

Fucking squids.

I had the audacity to pass a couple of squids who were doing the stereotypical-park-in-the-corner, blast-down-the-road routine. Didn't fly by them, just took one of the few fun little s-curves we have at a reasonable speed instead of crawling through with my feet off the pegs.

I'm rewarded with a 100+ mph flyby a foot away from me in my lane.

I sleep at night knowing they won't be riding in six months after they've wadded up their old ZX-7Rs and GSX500Fs and end up in the ER.

you got some mid-tier squids! our seattle squids all rock liter gsx-r's, 848 evos, and zx-10s! with the occasional rsv4 factory or panigale. fuckin' trust funders.

TomServo

you got some mid-tier squids! our seattle squids all rock liter gsx-r's, 848 evos, and zx-10s! with the occasional rsv4 factory or panigale. fuckin' trust funders.

Lol... Florida squids are all rocking shitty bikes with extended swing arms and squared-off tires. I guess that's what happens when the roads are all flat and straight.

Not 100% true, I locked up the front and survived just fine.

It really all depends on the environment... if you go into a corner and you loose the front and hit any type of gravel or dirt you are going to be in trouble. Also depends on your experience as everyone reacts differently to problems. The more you ride on one type of bike the more you will learn how its going to behave.

Can you turn off ABS on modern sportbikes?

If I ever get a ZX-10R or something in the future, I'll be sure to get ABS if I have the extra funds. I'm "lucky" enough to have a bike right now that seemingly won't lock either wheel in the dry.

Depends on the model, but I think almost all the "true" sportbikes allow you to disable it. California Superbike School turns ABS off on the S1000RR.

^ I know that the zx10 won't let you just turn it off. You'll have to go and pull the fuses if you want to disable it, which is what most people do at the track.

StMeph

Sup GAF. First post in this thread.

I've been talking myself out of a motorcycle all year, but it will eventually happen. There's a lot that I know I don't know, but I am also assuming there's plenty I don't know I am not aware of.

Currently, I'm looking at the Kawasaki Ninja 300 or Honda CBR500 (R/F/X, not sure yet). I plan to test each one for myself, but wanted to get some opinions. It seems like both are a small step up from Ninja 250 or CBR250R, but is the cost difference worth it?

As another note, I'd be riding in the relatively flat, wide roads of Texas. Not many twists or curves here, and almost entirely freeway riding, anywhere I go. Should that change what I am looking at, or for?

^ First things first, have you taken MSF? If not, I'd suggest you do that before anything else. Which part of Texas are you in? If you're in Houston I can recommend a few places for you.

As for bike recommendations, do you want to move up to a bigger sportbike later or plan to keep one for awhile? A used 250 would be great to ride and then upgrade while something bigger like a 500 or a 650 would be a better option if you plan to keep it for awhile.

While we mostly have flat roads here, there are some nice twisty's out there mainly in the country roads.

StMeph

^ First things first, have you taken MSF? If not, I'd suggest you do that before anything else. Which part of Texas are you in? If you're in Houston I can recommend a few places for you.

As for bike recommendations, do you want to move up to a bigger sportbike later or plan to keep one for awhile? A used 250 would be great to ride and then upgrade while something bigger like a 500 or a 650 would be a better option if you plan to keep it for awhile.

While we mostly have flat roads here, there are some nice twisty's out there mainly in the country roads.

I am in Houston. I have not taken MSF, but am aware it's needed to get my M clearance for licensing. After completing the course, how long is it good for, for licensing purposes?

I suppose my reluctance to start with a cheap used 250cc is that everything I've ever read is about people who learn on one, and then immediately want to upgrade to something bigger, like 500-650cc.

The initial cost of entry would be lower with a used 250cc, but upgrading later seems like an unnecessary and avoidable cost. Jumping directly into a 500cc is a higher up-front expense, but the Honda CBR is supposed to still be a fairly gentle bike to learn on. Since it appears to be globally capped at 47 horsepower for the EU market, is it going to be something that I'll likely outgrow anyway, and should view it through the same lens as the 250 or 300?

Dougald

Do the training, then do some more training

It bears repeating the CBR500 seems to have been aimed squarely at the EU beginner market as its just about at the maximum power output for that class of license here. I can't speak for what you get from the MSF but I know I'd have happily owned one as my first bike over here.

Supposed to be an excellent bike, though if you're buying new bear in mind that the valve clearances need doing at just 600 miles. Makes me a bit wary of the build quality of the thing, though what do I know, I'm not a mechanic.

Flo_Evans

i'm not sure a cbr would be my adv ride of choice!

Well if you are buying multiple bikes no reason not to add a dirt machine :)

I would also say to the new people considering bikes, don't discount dual-sports. They have much more relaxed riding position than ninjas, and you can go off road. Which besides being awesome fun, is a great way to learn bike dynamics.

The biggest thing I see new riders do is see a hazard and freak out. After a few miles of dirt locking the rear or a patch of gravel in a corner will not even phase you.

I am in Houston. I have not taken MSF, but am aware it's needed to get my M clearance for licensing. After completing the course, how long is it good for, for licensing purposes?

I suppose my reluctance to start with a cheap used 250cc is that everything I've ever read is about people who learn on one, and then immediately want to upgrade to something bigger, like 500-650cc.

The initial cost of entry would be lower with a used 250cc, but upgrading later seems like an unnecessary and avoidable cost. Jumping directly into a 500cc is a higher up-front expense, but the Honda CBR is supposed to still be a fairly gentle bike to learn on. Since it appears to be globally capped at 47 horsepower for the EU market, is it going to be something that I'll likely outgrow anyway, and should view it through the same lens as the 250 or 300?

Which side of town are you in? After MSF and going to the DPS they'll just add the M to your license and it gets renewed whenever you need to renew your drivers license.

What are your plans? Do you want to eventually be on a sportbike or are you just looking for something cheap to go around in? 250s can be found pretty easily and sold for almost the same price you got it for if you want to upgrade. It's really up to you what your planning to do. Everyone advances differently and wants different things from their bikes.

You can easily keep a 250 or 300 for a while too, if that's what you want to do. I have a friend that has had his since 09. He doesn't commute much on the freeway though. When I had a 250, I took it on 45, 59 and beltway 8 and I'm pretty glad I upgraded. You know how drivers in Houston can be...

StMeph

Supposed to be an excellent bike, though if you're buying new bear in mind that the valve clearances need doing at just 600 miles. Makes me a bit wary of the build quality of the thing, though what do I know, I'm not a mechanic.

This is what makes me a bit more concerned about hunting for one used. But I haven't even been able to find a used CBR500, so that hasn't come up.

Which side of town are you in? After MSF and going to the DPS they'll just add the M to your license and it gets renewed whenever you need to renew your drivers license.

What are your plans? Do you want to eventually be on a sportbike or are you just looking for something cheap to go around in? 250s can be found pretty easily and sold for almost the same price you got it for if you want to upgrade. It's really up to you what your planning to do. Everyone advances differently and wants different things from their bikes.

You can easily keep a 250 or 300 for a while too, if that's what you want to do. I have a friend that has had his since 09. He doesn't commute much on the freeway though. When I had a 250, I took it on 45, 59 and beltway 8 and I'm pretty glad I upgraded. You know how drivers in Houston can be...

I'm on the SW side of town.

I don't know what my long-term plans are, as I expect they will shift with time spent on the first bike. I'm not interested in taking anything on a track, and have very little (it's there, but not seriously) desire to fly at 100+ mph, but I do expect to take it on a lot of freeways, and to eventually take over to around 50/50 of all of my commuting after getting used to it.

I'm on the SW side of town.

I don't know what my long-term plans are, as I expect they will shift with time spent on the first bike. I'm not interested in taking anything on a track, and have very little (it's there, but not seriously) desire to fly at 100+ mph, but I do expect to take it on a lot of freeways, and to eventually take over to around 50/50 of all of my commuting after getting used to it.

Same side of town I'm on, check out http://www.texastwowheel.com/ they have classes over in Sugarland right by 90 and Dairy Ashford.

There aren't many used CBR500's around since it just came out. Try checking out the Kawasaki Ninja 650's and the Suzuki SV650's. Both are good beginner bikes, have a comfy seating position and will last you for a long time.

i'd go for the cb500x, myself. i test rode one when shopping around for a lighter tourer, and it was a rip. same engine as the cb500f, but i found the ergos more comfortable and i liked the higher perch. i could ride all day on that thing.

Sat on a CB500F and X today. Comfy bikes. I think on the showroom floor the F was a little bit more comfortable.

Would really love to take a test ride. One of them might be my next bike (Ninja 250 right now), but not sure. A little more power might help. :p

Watevaman

Sat on a CB500F and X today. Comfy bikes. I think on the showroom floor the F was a little bit more comfortable.

Would really love to take a test ride. One of them might be my next bike (Ninja 250 right now), but not sure. A little more power might help. :p

Are you in it for a sporty bike, fuel economy, what?

I'm on a GS500 so I'd imagine it's pretty close to the newer 500s Honda has out, but I'd say a 500 isn't really too much more than a 250 in terms of power.

If you're comfortable with your 250 but don't want to sacrifice fuel economy while moving up in power, I'd say look at the 650 twins. The both Suzuki and Kawi's offerings get great gas mileage and have enough power for any road going necessities. A Honda 599/Hornet (if you can find it) may be a little bit lower in fuel economy but it's a nice naked bike with gobs of power.

Are you in it for a sporty bike, fuel economy, what?

I'm on a GS500 so I'd imagine it's pretty close to the newer 500s Honda has out, but I'd say a 500 isn't really too much more than a 250 in terms of power.

If you're comfortable with your 250 but don't want to sacrifice fuel economy while moving up in power, I'd say look at the 650 twins. The both Suzuki and Kawi's offerings get great gas mileage and have enough power for any road going necessities. A Honda 599/Hornet (if you can find it) may be a little bit lower in fuel economy but it's a nice naked bike with gobs of power.

Yeah, I was saying I wish they had more power. Though, I haven't test-ridden the 500s, so it's just spec-sheet talk right now.

My 250 is great, but I'm looking for something with the following qualities:

- mostly upright riding position
- comfortable on longer rides (limit is 2 hours with my 250 before my ass hurts bad)
- reasonable power (35-70hp)
- relatively light weight (<450lbs ?)
- fuel injection
- ABS would be a plus but is not a requirement
- can take a little bit of off-road
- probably $8000 max, likely less used

Regarding the second-last point, there isn't much off-road nearby, but it's something I've always been interested in trying.

Depends on finances how soon I'll be getting a new bike, but I'm thinking early next season maybe... maybe I'm just daydreaming right now lol.

Yeah, I was saying I wish they had more power. Though, I haven't test-ridden the 500s, so it's just spec-sheet talk right now.

My 250 is great, but I'm looking for something with the following qualities:

- mostly upright riding position
- comfortable on longer rides (limit is 2 hours with my 250 before my ass hurts bad)
- reasonable power (35-70hp)
- relatively light weight (<450lbs ?)
- fuel injection
- ABS would be a plus but is not a requirement
- can take a little bit of off-road
- probably $8000 max, likely less used

Regarding the second-last point, there isn't much off-road nearby, but it's something I've always been interested in trying.

Depends on finances how soon I'll be getting a new bike, but I'm thinking early next season maybe... maybe I'm just daydreaming right now lol.

cb500x or ninja 650. both are upright mid-control bikes that won't kill yer ass. both have abs versions. the cb500x could sorta do offroad. sorta.

a used bmw f650gs woud be good, too.

There is only one Opticalmace, the Monster 696. Rent something when you go off road, and for all the other times, treat yourself to the best handling bike out there (dry weight with ABS is 359lbs <3 ).

Test ride one sometime, that thing speaks for itself.

Top Bottom