• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Yeah, I was saying I wish they had more power. Though, I haven't test-ridden the 500s, so it's just spec-sheet talk right now.

My 250 is great, but I'm looking for something with the following qualities:

- mostly upright riding position
- comfortable on longer rides (limit is 2 hours with my 250 before my ass hurts bad)
- reasonable power (35-70hp)
- relatively light weight (<450lbs ?)
- fuel injection
- ABS would be a plus but is not a requirement
- can take a little bit of off-road
- probably $8000 max, likely less used

Regarding the second-last point, there isn't much off-road nearby, but it's something I've always been interested in trying.

Depends on finances how soon I'll be getting a new bike, but I'm thinking early next season maybe... maybe I'm just daydreaming right now lol.

Honda NC700X or CB500X.

jedimike

Well if you are buying multiple bikes no reason not to add a dirt machine :)

I would also say to the new people considering bikes, don't discount dual-sports. They have much more relaxed riding position than ninjas, and you can go off road. Which besides being awesome fun, is a great way to learn bike dynamics.

The biggest thing I see new riders do is see a hazard and freak out. After a few miles of dirt locking the rear or a patch of gravel in a corner will not even phase you.

Completely agree!!! I currently own a dual sport (KLR650) and a cruiser (Yamaha Raider 1900) and greatly enjoy riding them both.

Admittedly, my first street legal bike was a Ninja 600 but I had ridden plenty of off-road bikes before that. I loved my Ninja,but as I grew older, I started to appreciate function and comfort over sport bike speed and looks.

Nothing against any type of bike (they are all fun), but I'd think any rider would greatly appreciate a dual sport.

Dougald

My Alt-Berg Clubman Classic boots just arrived from Yorkshire! I've been putting off buying a pair for ages due to the cost, but my current boots are starting to fall to pieces, so I figured I should get a quality pair made up for me. I have horrendously wide feet, but they were able to custom make a wider fit boot for me in my size.

TLlM3AE.jpg

Should hopefully last me at least a good 10 years, as the factory will resole them for £45.

I struggle to ride with boots with thick soles as I cannot feel the bike and the pegs under my feet. They do look the business and they look like they will last for a long time. Enjoy

Dougald

I've had oncoming traffic nearly hit me before, but due to overtaking and them clearly not seeing the bike. But that was something else, he was at possibly the furthest point from his side of the road, and it looks like he turned towards the bike. Unbelievable, I think that would put me off for life

That would have been a big problem if you are in a car or a bike.... stuff like this is not nice but I learn from it and try and adapt my riding style to try and avoid situations like this. Difficult but I try.

I hear from a mate that he is going on his second course riding with the police here in the UK. The last time he went he learnt so much and it must be fun to ride with the police and not try to get away from there

http://www.roadcraft.co.uk/

Dougald

I heard that the Police course encourages you to speed where appropriate for the road, they call it "making proper progress"

Well, I did a thumbs up to a CHP officer I was following while lanesplitting.
Their job is more important than being part of a community, which is why caution is recommended.

Dougald

I was lanesplitting a ways behind a couple of officers on motorcycles doing the same sometime ago... but it's legal here (when done safely, no scything between traffic at 70mph)

I have big respect for those guys, there was an accident up ahead and they were cutting through the traffic at twice the speed I was able to go at, and they were riding their big Police FJR1300s. No way would a police car or ambulance be able to make it to the scene anywhere near that fast.

yeah, those guys are hardcore. I love going to the maneuvering completions, really shows how skilled they are.
Even though I have gotten a bs ticket from them, they still reserve respect.

I am going to see if I can get my hands on the latest version of the roadcraft book that is going to be launched soon. Always keen to learn new ways

Watevaman

Man I'm glad squid season will be coming to an end soon. This past week I've had encounters with people who have no business riding on the streets. Both happened while I was a passenger in a car: first guy came merging in between us and the car in front of us (quickly I may add) just before we got onto the offramp. Then when he squeezed in he was on the ass of the dude in front for the whole decreasing radius of the ramp. After almost crashing into the jersey barriers at least twice, what does he do when he gets off the ramp? Wheelies for maybe a few hundred feet.

Second guy was worse or better depending on how look at it. This guy simply weaved past us (in a construction zone, so speed limit was 35) at what was probably 90. This was at night, and even with the headlight I had no idea he was coming up. Then he continued to do it with at least a dozen cars that were in front of us. I'm all for lane changes, but not at 30 above what everyone else is doing.

daw840

I heard that the Police course encourages you to speed where appropriate for the road, they call it "making proper progress"
Absolutely. I mentioned it in one of those anti motorcycle threads that pop up here from time to time and got dogpiled. You should be going a little faster than traffic so danger is coming from in front of you instead of behind.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Yes, they absolutely do. They also encourage you to travel slightly faster than traffic on highways in order to overtake and stay "out in front". On two wheels you are safer in front of the traffic, especially rigs, than behind them. Plus it is much easier to see obstacles on the road ahead of you when you don't have cars in front of you blocking your forward view. Defensive driving by offensive driving or something like that they called it.

I know there aren't many Harley riders here on GAF but I went and looked at the new 2014 models today. Their colors suck for this year, but there are a hell of a lot of great changes to the touring bikes. The Electra Glide Limited is the first bike to get the new Twin Cooled water cooling, and I have to say I'm impressed. Could barely tell it was even there just by looking at it, but after riding one I can tell it sure does throw much less heat between the legs. Seems to run better and has a bit more power too. They also added LED lights, better switches, finally improved the saddle bag hinges and latches, they have a new radio/GPS unit that is really great, and changed the fairing to reduce buffeting .

But there's no Road Glide this year, so there's no chance of me buying a new one yet. Not until next year, when the new Road Glide comes out. Curious to see what they do with it...

Sold my bike today due to lack of use. Was sold to a guy from ROI and due to some confussion and exchange rates I got done out of £200. Really pissed off. Partly my fault.

Fixed1979

My 300 has been on order since the 13th, I called the dealership last week (20th), just to check on things, he said nothing yet but he'll call as soon as it shows. So I went into the city over the weekend and dropped some coin on some gear (helmet, gloves, jacket). Today was the last possible day the bike would had arrived (based on his schedule), so I stopped by, sat in the guys chair and asked where the bike is. He called Kawi and I waited around for 30 minutes for them to call us back, when they called back they told him the order wasn't put through properly on Kawasaki's end. So no bike is pretty much is the outcome...it's pretty much the end of summer now and it looks like I may as well wait until spring now...

I never buy anything in my town if I can avoid it, the one time I bail on this I get burned. Lesson learned.

Here it is....and I can't ride it today!!!! FFFFUUUUUU!!! I did take it for a quick spin around the neighborhood but was hoping to go for a 1-2 hour "getting to know you" session. Oh well, labor day weekend should be interesting :)

God it looks so sad inside a garage....

1172507_10201337462971958_2068204960_o.jpg

Fixed1979

Here it is....and I can't ride it today!!!! FFFFUUUUUU!!! I did take it for a quick spin around the neighborhood but was hoping to go for a 1-2 hour "getting to know you" session. Oh well, labor day weekend should be interesting :)

God it looks so sad inside a garage....

Congrats bud, I'm jealous, I was so looking forward to riding this long weekend. Drive safe!

How come you can't ride it today?

Work, just too much work. I might take it for an end-of-day spin as well. Just have to watch for cops since i'm still on my learners permit (no night time riding, no freeway). I'm retaking the MSF (rescheduling is a bitch) but also scheduled a DMV test for the end of the month just to hedge bets on what I pass first.

Sorry to hear about your Ninja 300. That was my 1st choice for a starter bike but gave up after every dealer told me that Kawi is backordered for MONTHS! I would love to get one eventually but hoping that after a year or 2 Honda will come out with their own 300cc bike to compete.

Did a bit of evening riding in the hood. No cars and a nice long stretch of road with no stops and intersections. Sky was turning purple and the air was getting nice and cool. Accidentally honked at someone while trying to flick my turn signal.

I really need to practice my shifting. It takes about 1.5 seconds for me to upshift.... gotta work on my timing of release throttle, clutch in, gear change, clutch out, blip. Probably doesn't help that my boots are new and need to be broken in. I gotta feel around if i'm below or above the lever. I'm tempted to put on hi-tops for riding but I know they're not safe. Any advice on how to break in boots? I got a good deal on a Sedici Laguna for $39!!

Seemed so much easier during the MSF course and those bikes were pretty beat up but I was riding a cruiser instead of a sport bike.

Sarcasm

Did a bit of evening riding in the hood. No cars and a nice long stretch of road with no stops and intersections. Sky was turning purple and the air was getting nice and cool. Accidentally honked at someone while trying to flick my turn signal.

I really need to practice my shifting. It takes about 1.5 seconds for me to upshift.... gotta work on my timing of release throttle, clutch in, gear change, clutch out, blip. Probably doesn't help that my boots are new and need to be broken in. I gotta feel around if i'm below or above the lever. I'm tempted to put on hi-tops for riding but I know they're not safe. Any advice on how to break in boots? I got a good deal on a Sedici Laguna for $39!!

Seemed so much easier during the MSF course and those bikes were pretty beat up but I was riding a cruiser instead of a sport bike.

Wear them off the bike too.

Dougald

I still do that after 3 years. Maybe I'm just a bit special.

Mengy

So, am I the only member of GAF who rides a Harley?

It seems like it. I've been following this thread for over a year now and no one ever brings them up. I've even made a few posts about Harleys, posted a few pics, and they always seem to get glossed over for the usual pocket rocket or enduro bike talk. Even after doing a search for Harley posts in this thread, the last one was over a year ago, lol.

Mabye I'm just the only one in this thread who likes Harleys. I wonder if other members of GAF ride them and just avoid this thread? Maybe I need to start an offiical Harley [OT] or something, a bike topic for the non-racer crowd..

So, am I the only member of GAF who rides a Harley?

It seems like it. I've been following this thread for over a year now and no one ever brings them up. I've even made a few posts about Harleys, posted a few pics, and they always seem to get glossed over for the usual pocket rocket or enduro bike talk. Even after doing a search for Harley posts in this thread, the last one was over a year ago, lol.

Mabye I'm just the only one in this thread who likes Harleys. I wonder if other members of GAF ride them and just avoid this thread? Maybe I need to start an offiical Harley [OT] or something, a bike topic for the non-racer crowd..
I don't know about Harleys in particular but I'm pretty sure I saw some posts in this thread about cruiser riders at some point.

Sarcasm

Can you get a harley in 125cc?

I assume harley only has big bikes (I can only assume I didn't look at scooters/motorcycles til I got to Taiwan)

No way I'd get a big bike. Over here 125CC is king with the very tight lane splitting.

Dougald

There's a few cruisers about, but not specifically Harleys.. I wouldn't call my Bonneville a "racer" though!

I'd like to think this thread is pretty inclusive, from supersports to scooters.

Flo_Evans

You probably don't want to do it on your brand new bike but most bikes can just be kick shifted (no clutch). Most shifters are somewhat adjustable too, even a basic one you should be able to take it off and rotate it on the splines if you are finding it hard to reach. I would ride it a bit more and learn the position it is in before changing it up though.

TCRS

Banned
I love this colour. The best green bike I have seen is the Bonneville Steve McQueen edition:

55076d1348403838-offical-2012-triumph-steve-mcqueen-se-t100-thread-mcqslprs.jpg

Saw one at my local dealdership and fell in love with it. One day...

Not 2 days into my new bike and i'm already thinking of the next one. Owning 2 cars, out of the question. Owning 2 bikes seems like a possibility.

So this is 2 wheel living!

I own 2. It's awesome.

Sadly my Buell is not working right now (it's not what you think, not the bike's fault and Christ do I miss it dearly). Luckily though, I've still got the Monster to ride around on. Feel slightly conflicted however. I think I prefer the Buell over the Duc, even though it cost me less than a third of what I had to fork over for the Monster. In terms of handling the Monster is superior (though not as much as you would think), but the Buell is just so much damn fun. Something about that engine and the way it looks, I think. Great fucking bike, would recommend it to anyone looking for something different.

Mengy

I love the 883 Sportster, such a beautiful bike. Post pics Mengy!

Well, here is my current Harley, a 2011 Tour Glide:
This was taken along the beach in Morro Bay, California, after riding all the way across the country from PA.

Here is another picture, this one is in the Sierra Nevada Mountains:

And this is my "Forrest Gump" shot, that's me riding into Monument Valley, Arizona, at right about the same spot that Forrest stops running at, lol:

Yeah, I like riding some distances.

Man, shifting is tricky. I'm getting better with upshifting but downshifting is still a mystery. Now I see why some people have issues with 250s and the need to shift often but it's great practice.

Man, shifting is tricky. I'm getting better with upshifting but downshifting is still a mystery. Now I see why some people have issues with 250s and the need to shift often but it's great practice.

It'll become second nature soon enough.

Just keep in mind where the revs need to go. Upshifting, let off the throttle momentarily. Downshifting, give the throttle a little blip (to match the engine/transmission speeds, aka rev-matching) to make a smooth downshift.

This assumes you shift quick enough that the engine doesn't spin down a lot in the meantime.

Top Bottom