• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008 Hockey Videogame Thread (NHL 08 & NHL 2K8 out Sept. 11)

bran

I'm sorry if this has been answered, but is 08 announced by John Shorthouse? This is a make/break for me. I need the Canucks' announcer in my game.

bran said:
I'm sorry if this has been answered, but is 08 announced by John Shorthouse? This is a make/break for me. I need the Canucks' announcer in my game.

Are you talking about the arena announcer? I think it is the same guy for every team.

Souther

Banned
This is more towards 2K series than EA ..

Do you guys play on the Default speed setting(skating)? For me its way to slooooow. I usually have the speed up around the 75-80% setting.

I remember playing online with 2k6 on xbox vs people and i was like WTF it takes like 1 minute just to get down to the other end of the rink.

Phthisis

XiaNaphryz said:
Are the rest of my observations accurate? I'm debating which game to pick up. I'm leaning towards 2K8 as I'm primarily a franchise simming whore and don't play a great deal in-game.

I would say the one area where EA's game has a leg-up in franchise mode is with the AHL license and complete rosters. It adds a significant additional layer to the management of your franchise. It's also nice to see EA put in a practice mode, something that 2K has been doing for several years, and a feature I love very much.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
DoctorWho said:
EDIT: Wolf, why don't you just go to an EB. They had a mountain of copies when I was there.

Futureshop is on my driving path home. I figured waiting a day past release would put a copy in my hands no problem, but oh well, not the end of the world.

I'm eagerly awaiting more franchise details like the possible loss point glitch, or small tidbits not discussed earlier.

sefskillz said:
yea i think we're all having that problem

that's strange..cause this happens to me in madden too.

when I first got madden I was able to play online games fine, lag free, then this shit happens after a few plays. I just tried playing a friend in NHL and it kept failing, and it failed with other random people. that same friend said he was able to play a dozen games today.

hmm...

Phthisis

Okay, here's a highlight for you:

Afinogenov one-on-one with Kaberle
dagoeaabo.jpg

Steps around him with the deke
dagofaabo.jpg

Breakaway on the goalie
dagogaabo.jpg

Toskala bites left ont he deke, Affy goes to the backhand
dagohaabo.jpg

Open net = goal, right? Wrong!
dagojaabo.jpg

If you could see it in motion, it was a for-sure goal. Toskala had no chance, and somehoe he turned into Spider Man and dove across to stop it with his arm :lol

By the way, I've played like five or six games online with no problems whatsoever. Only online team play wouldn't work for me.

BojTrek

Banned
I played the demo twice and just played my first full game online...

I lost 2-0 and I don't understand the game... NHL 08 is really good looking to me...

It seems like there is no speed... is there a speed-burst?

I like it, it is tough... the guy I played was cool and no lag on the X-Box 360 version...

BojTrek said:

I lost 2-0 and I don't understand the game... NHL 08 is really good looking to me...

I like it, it is tough... the guy I played was cool and no lag on the X-Box 360 version...

speed burst is analog depending on how far your push the left stick.

Phthisis

NHL 08 (360):

So I was reading up on the league rules via the FAQ. The comissioner (league starter) sets how many games to be played. There's no schedule per se; you simply play against each league member a certain amount of times when they're online and once you've reached the set number of games, the person with the best record is the champion.

We can play up to 11 games per league member per season (which would be over 300 games!), but that's far too much. The lowest is 1 per member, which is a 32 game season based on how many people we have in the league right now.

I'll comissioner the league if nobody objects, and keep the thread organized. My suggestion is that we start the league once the game is out in Europe, or once the first roster update goes into effect (whichever happens last). The rosters the game ships with are a couple months outdated, and most teams still have players who don't play for them anymore.

So sometime in the third or fourth week of September we can kick it off? Does that work?

BojTrek said:
This is the first post/thread where two opposing games are actually getting good/bad points on both sides.

No one is really "NHL 08 shits on NHL2K8" or "NHL2K8 craps in NHL 08's face"

We are all actually having a normal conversations on plusses/minuses on both games...

Weird...

Yeah, in a bizaare twist of fate, the messageboard discussion is more rational & thoughtful than the reviews (A 4.0 and then an 8.5? They are all over the place.)

Like last year, it seems both games are pretty good. I think the coolest innovation is the multi-console play in NHL 08 . . . I hope that becomes a standard feature in all sports games.

bishoptl said:
Got my copy of NHL 08 today. Time to play some HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY

Or to get this message:
"You have lost your connection to the EA servers. Please check your network connection. You will be unable to access any online features until you sign in again."

Why :(

VALIS

Gary Thorne pronounces just about every name in the NHL wrong. It's his thing. I remember when the Rangers had Dale Purinton, Throne pronounced it "Pure-inG-ton" for about 5 years in a row. No "g" Gary. Just take a quick glance at the lineup card, buddy.

Thorne has been pronouncing Tom Poti as "Potty" for years. He must do it on purpose, he's not that dumb.

Oh wait, this is the same guy that said - on the air - that Doug Mirabelli told him Curt Schilling's bloody sock was actually painted red.

Good announcer, weird dude.

TheFallen

Played a few hours earlier. Love that the AHL has around 75% of their portraits. Only issue thus far is the soundtrack; which is weak. I could have sworn I heard Ozzy's new single in the demo? All we've got is a bunch of unknown pop rock rejects.

So how do we get the 07-08 jerseys for every team. It seems to prompt for a Reebok code or something? Can't even use the AHL jerseys without that code thing. Only the practice jerseys are available for AHL.

I'm down for Phthisis controlling the league but why wait until the fourth week of Sept. Seems an awful long time to wait. Many will be on Halo 3 religiously during that week (not myself, but just something to consider).

Fatalah

My friend's copy of NHL08 just crapped out after 2 hours of play. The disc drive spinning sounded a bit aggressive, and when we took the disc out we noticed a half-inch dull scratch near a half inch from the top of the disc.

The last time this happened was one year ago with NHL 07. It hadn't reoccurred until tonight.

Is this a common problem with EA discs?

I grabbed NHL '08 for the 360 and am very pleased with it.

I have to re-learn an NHL game, after being a hardcore 2k player for 3 solid years :lol

Had a flawless game online against my brother and it was really, really awesome!

Phthisis

TheFallen said:
So how do we get the 07-08 jerseys for every team. It seems to prompt for a Reebok code or something? Can't even use the AHL jerseys without that code thing. Only the practice jerseys are available for AHL.

Supposedly the code gets released on the 15th. Can't wait!

I'm down for Phthisis controlling the league but why wait until the fourth week of Sept. Seems an awful long time to wait. Many will be on Halo 3 religiously during that week (not myself, but just something to consider).

We have some YUROPeans in the 360 league, and the game doesn't come out until the 20th or 21st there.

mackaveli

has anyone played both nhl 08 for 360 and ps3?

i know the framerate is different but anything else? does the framerate cause the 360 to seem faster then the ps3?

i only have the ps3 and it seems fine to me, no framerate drops whatsoever so far during actual gameplay. No idea about the cut scenes as i skip them. Also pleasntly surprised about the online for ps3. i was a little worried it would be laggy and framerate drops but out of the games i played only 1 had serious lag and the guy dropped after but the rest has been very smooth.

About the 360, is it faster like the skaters move faster and so forth? my friend has a ps3 and doesn't like it and likes 07 better. says 08 is slow. thoughts guys?

Am I the only one having trouble creating plays? The interface is great, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around how I should be moving my players around. The plays seem to break when I go to test. I guess I have trouble thinking of how to cycle and set that up. I'm sure I'll get used to it but I just can't seem to grasp it now but it's not at any fault of the game.

Tiktaalik

This game is totally awesome, but I haven't played an NHL game in forever so I suck. I'm getting owned by the computer and not nearly getting enough shots off. The computer however is nailing my goalie with shot after shot. I gotta keep practicing.

The practice mode is pretty damn cool if you haven't looked at it yet, though I think it reveals some interesting AI fallacies which EA should have easily been able to clear up. For example trying out a 2 attack vs goalie practice mode, if you're behind the net, your other teammate will stand so close to the goalie that you can't even pass to him. Weird. Maybe it's different in the game and it just gets messed up when there are no other opposing players around.

I found one AI hole while being short handed. It lets you kill off the penalty pretty easily.

Skate side to side behind your net. It's easy to just keep doing that and the AI doesn't put too much pressure on you to cough up the puck. Easy way to kill the penalty.

Tiktaalik

The play by play is so incredible in this game. I just had a game where the other team racked up two goals early in the first period and another in the second, but then in the third I got two goals and narrowly evened it up. After the game ended the announcers were talking about how it was a close one, and how the other team nearly lost it, and that "the game doesn't end after the 2nd period." Great stuff.

Also I was playing as Pittsburgh during one game, and the announcer started just talking about how the team owner wasn't being bought out and was in Pittsburgh to stay and the other announcer added that they had real potential in the upcoming season. Totally the exact sort of thing you would expect to hear in a real game.

Awesome stuff.

Klocker

Tiktaalik said:
The play by play is so incredible in this game. I just had a game where the other team racked up two goals early in the first period and another in the second, but then in the third I got two goals and narrowly evened it up. After the game ended the announcers were talking about how it was a close one, and how the other team nearly lost it, and that "the game doesn't end after the 2nd period." Great stuff.

Also I was playing as Pittsburgh during one game, and the announcer started just talking about how the team owner wasn't being bought out and was in Pittsburgh to stay and the other announcer added that they had real potential in the upcoming season. Totally the exact sort of thing you would expect to hear in a real game.

Awesome stuff.

yea the commentary just tops this game off for me... excellent stuff, perhaps the best ever in fact and I've played all the 2k football games. ;)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
BojTrek said:

I could NEVER get this game to work online last night. "NERDS!!!!!"angryfacedude.gif

knee

There's one thing about having a single thread for two games. For half of you, I don't know which game / system your impressions are about.

I picked up NHL 08 for PS3 and I'm liking it so far. I have to get a little more practice in. I played two games last night-- I lost the first and won the second. In the second game, I changed the camera angle, so that I'm always skating upward-- seeing as it was a little difficult to 'learn' shooting when it is switched every period. I'm glad this is an option that works online-- even though it's been an option in hockey games for years.

I'm waiting for the PS3 league to begin. do we need to trade contact info or are we doing all communication through the forum? Thanks! :D

DenogginizerOS said:
I could NEVER get this game to work online last night. "NERDS!!!!!"angryfacedude.gif

Glad to hear...I mean, not glad to hear that I'm not the only one. I sent EA an email this morning...hopefully I don't get some BS answer. Which I probably will.

Is it possible that my connection is too shitty? 2 Mbit coming in and 384 KB coming out.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
pheeniks said:
Glad to hear...I mean, not glad to hear that I'm not the only one. I sent EA an email this morning...hopefully I don't get some BS answer. Which I probably will.

Is it possible that my connection is too shitty? 2 Mbit coming in and 384 KB coming out.

No. That connection should be aces.

Sandman42

Jersey Code is Here!

h3oyxpwksf8ibcgt

Go to My NHL 08 --> RBK EDGE then input the code

I'm playing Vancouver vs Dallas right now with the new jerseys.

zedge

Sandman42 said:
Jersey Code is Here!

h3oyxpwksf8ibcgt

input it in the RBK Hockey option in the options menu.

I'm playing Vancouver vs Dallas right now with the new jerseys.

Sweet thanks!

BTW is anyone else having difficulty playing online? Every game disconnects after the anthem.. grr

Marty Chinn said:
I found one AI hole while being short handed. It lets you kill off the penalty pretty easily.

Skate side to side behind your net. It's easy to just keep doing that and the AI doesn't put too much pressure on you to cough up the puck. Easy way to kill the penalty.

:lol honestly does EA even test their games anymore?

Kingpen

I think with the new A.I. that Pro is actually comparable to All-Star. I have swallowed my pride and have had to start playing on Pro level, cause All-star is just like getting raped every time (and not just outscored). I feel like on All-star, I'm having a hard time winning faceoffs and then once they get the puck, it is very hard to take it away from them with their great cycling and also ability to change up speed and the movement of their players. Also, once my goalie gets the puck, they can usually pick off my goalie passes 1/2 the time as well. I feel like they are playing keep away from me the whole game. Then when I do get a puck, they learn my tendencies and know how to shut me down. This isn't complaining at all, it is a testament of how well they implemented A.I. in this game vs what we have known in the past.

In switching to pro, I am getting more even shot counts high 20s/ low 30s for each team. I feel like I actually have a chance to win the game, but the CPU still puts up a great effort on pro (like I just lost 4-0 to anaheim now with comparable shot counts).

With practice makes perfect... I'm going to be playing this for a long time...

DenogginizerOS said:
No. That connection should be aces.

Thanks, I wasn't sure. You just saved me 200 dollars!

I also just played my first game on All-Pro just now. I was panthers, AI was senators. I won 3-2! It felt great. although it seems like some of the goals would be impossible to nail..

Kingpen said:
I think with the new A.I. that Pro is actually comparable to All-Star. I have swallowed my pride and have had to start playing on Pro level, cause All-star is just like getting raped every time (and not just outscored). I feel like on All-star, I'm having a hard time winning faceoffs and then once they get the puck, it is very hard to take it away from them with their great cycling and also ability to change up speed and the movement of their players. Also, once my goalie gets the puck, they can usually pick off my goalie passes 1/2 the time as well. I feel like they are playing keep away from me the whole game. Then when I do get a puck, they learn my tendencies and know how to shut me down. This isn't complaining at all, it is a testament of how well they implemented A.I. in this game vs what we have known in the past.

In switching to pro, I am getting more even shot counts high 20s/ low 30s for each team. I feel like I actually have a chance to win the game, but the CPU still puts up a great effort on pro (like I just lost 4-0 to anaheim now with comparable shot counts).

With practice makes perfect... I'm going to be playing this for a long time...

You're not alone. I'm like a cat chasing it's own tail in circles when I play the computer on all-star.

Top Bottom