• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008 Hockey Videogame Thread (NHL 08 & NHL 2K8 out Sept. 11)

Phthisis

Fifty said:
Anyone want to clue me in on the top 3 players for the beloved maple leafs and their ratings?

Sundin is 89 overall
Kaberle is 86 overall
Peca is 86 overall

Both McCabe and Tucker come in at 85.

Also, the EA Trax this year are actually good! I usually mute them after a couple days, but they picked a nice mix of music instead of generic white boy punk this year.

Spike

TemplaerDude said:
i'd rather have broken skill stick than no skill stick. the controls are borked in 07 anyways, it's impossible to get them right for the 360 pad.

I had this same problem initially. I installed the 360 controller drivers after installing NHL07. I uninstalled and reinstalled 07, and the pad worked perfectly since.

VALIS

Okay, wow. I mean... wow. Best sports game AI ever. Holy cow. I'm pretty floored right now.

I just got my copy, quickly adjusted a few sliders to reflect the actual game (game speed slower, pass speed slower, more shot blocks, etc.), set it to All-Star, chose the Rangers and got fucking shitstomped by the Islanders 7-3. Outshot 57-34 with 10 min periods.

But not one of the Isles goals were cheap. They worked the boards, set up men in the slot, screened the goalie, cycled, they ran me ragged! I'm half exhausted. The way the AI works the walls until you over-commit with a defenseman and comes out for a shot or pass to someone in the slot is a thing of beauty.

Best thing I could possibly say about the AI? Felt like I was playing a human. A really good one, too. Sick! This is a full league beyond any sports game I've played before in terms of AI (especially this year's once-again-shitty Madden).

But just so I don't sound like a gushing fanboy, here's a downside about 08: It is not for hockey casuals. At all. Maybe they could find some fun on the lower difficulties, but the gameplay here is extremely technical. To play defense well you really need to know how to keep your players in position, work the boards in your own zone to keep the puck out of trouble, and just try to stay in front of the attacking players at all times as best you can. I really need to find a nice move to get the puck away from the AI, because I'm struggling. Time of Possession in my last game as 11:03 Isles, 7:31 Rangers.

Most realistic hockey game ever. Finally, a true next gen sports game! This is what I thought we'd be getting with all the sports, but Madden and MLB2K still haven't made the leap.

Souther

Banned
Phthisis said:
Sundin is 89 overall
Kaberle is 86 overall
Peca is 86 overall

Both McCabe and Tucker come in at 85.

Also, the EA Trax this year are actually good! I usually mute them after a couple days, but they picked a nice mix of music instead of generic white boy punk this year.

Sundin is a 89?? Wow...thats ridiculous.

Fifty

VALIS said:
splooging all over the game

Damn. These impressions are fantastic. I've always thought that hockey games were too arcadey and not strategic/difficult enough. I've got to find time to play this game. Downloading the demo now

VALIS

Fifty said:
Damn. These impressions are fantastic. I've always thought that hockey games were too arcadey and not strategic/difficult enough. I've got to find time to play this game. Downloading the demo now

You'll notice some good AI in the demo but you won't get the full effect since it's set to Pro (aka "medium") there. The AI really knocks you out on All-Star and Hall of Fame.

Fifty

VALIS said:
You'll notice some good AI in the demo but you won't get the full effect since it's set to Pro (aka "medium") there. The AI really knocks you out on All-Star and Hall of Fame.

Ah, ok thanks

Kingpen

Phthisis said:
Practice mode! Practice mode is so sweet!

Could you post the path on how to get those stats to your email account? I didn't find it on an initial browsing... This game is god and I kneel before it.

Kingpen

Also for those of you who know who Peter North is... yeah, that is what it is like playing this game.

This game will win sports game of the year if NBA2k8 fails to top itself this year.

Captain N, I didn't have luck wth connecting with you, but my and Phthisis got another game on after that. Add him to your friends list... GT: Justegarde

What I want to know is how the dump and chase play against the end boards is? It seemed like in the demo, it was too easy to pick up the puck after you dumped it into the end boards behind the net so that it was easy to clear out. Realistically, it should take a little time to gain control which results in plenty of battling it out among the end boards to move the puck out from behind the net. How is this in the final? Also can you hold players up against the wall?

Phthisis

Kingpen said:
Could you post the path on how to get those stats to your email account? I didn't find it on an initial browsing... This game is god and I kneel before it.

Xbox Live >>> My online NHL 08 >>> Online settings >>> General settings >>> Forward end of game stats (need to put your email address in)

Phthisis

Marty Chinn said:
What I want to know is how the dump and chase play against the end boards is? It seemed like in the demo, it was too easy to pick up the puck after you dumped it into the end boards behind the net so that it was easy to clear out. Realistically, it should take a little time to gain control which results in plenty of battling it out among the end boards to move the puck out from behind the net. How is this in the final? Also can you hold players up against the wall?

It really depends on what strategy the defense is playing and the number of players on the rush. If you dump in on a 3 on 2, chances are you'll recover the puck. But if you dump 2 on 2 or 1 on 2, usually the defenseman will run back and grab the puck before you can get to it.

Also, when you check someone against the boards, it pins them against it for a few seconds, but you can't hold it for longer.

VALIS

Marty Chinn said:
What I want to know is how the dump and chase play against the end boards is?

Still needs a bit of work, not much holding and pinning, just brief puck battles. Better than last year, though.

Phthisis said:
Xbox Live >>> My online NHL 08 >>> Online settings >>> General settings >>> Forward end of game stats (need to put your email address in)

This is only for online games right?

rs7k said:
I'm gonna be on now, if anyone wants to play. (redsniper7000)

When's the league starting?

I think we have to wait for the UK peeps to get it. Although, I don't see why we couldn't start it and then wait for them to get the game to play their games.

Who is going to be commissioner?

Osorio

Damn Kingpen your impressions made the wait for the game even harder. :( I can only play the demo so many times. Btw does everyone start off at All-Star difficulty?

Osorio said:
Damn Kingpen your impressions made the wait for the game even harder. :( I can only play the demo so many times. Btw does everyone start off at All-Star difficulty?

Default is pro.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
From looking at both 2K8 and 08 impressions around the net, here's the pattern I'm seeing:

2K8: higher learning curve for controls but once they click you actually are able to do more than in 08, better franchise, more comprehensive slider settings, better sub options (ability to pair different D pairs with different lines), more "pinning at the boards" seen in-game, needs slider tuning for "realistic" sim gameplay feel (toning down hitting and breakaway burst speed), awesome fight system, spotty online play performance

08: easier learning curve for controls, better AI, better in-game presentation, buggy franchise mode (saw a report where a single point is awarded for a regulation loss along with some contract issues), better overall gameplay feel, crappy fight system, needs slider tuning for "realistic" sim gameplay feel (toning down pass speed), good online play performance

Does this sound accurate or am I high?

VALIS

Alright, this is ridiculous now. I'm losing against Nashville 4-0 with 16:32 left in the 2nd, shots 27-5 in favor of Nashville, puck control 6:05 to 1:15 in their favor. I like a challenge, but cripes. I can't take the puck from them. :( Time to manipulate some sliders, see what happens.

XiaNaphryz said:
From looking at both 2K8 and 08 impressions around the net, here's the pattern I'm seeing:

2K8: higher learning curve for controls but once they click you actually are able to do more than in 08, better franchise, more comprehensive slider settings, better sub options (ability to pair different D pairs with different lines), more "pinning at the boards" seen in-game, needs slider tuning for "realistic" sim gameplay feel (toning down hitting and breakaway burst speed), spotty online play performance

08: easier learning curve for controls, better AI, better in-game presentation, buggy franchise mode (saw a report where a single point is awarded for a regulation loss along with some contract issues), better overall gameplay feel, needs slider tuning for "realistic" sim gameplay feel (toning down pass speed), good online play performance

Does this sound accurate or am I high?

The regulation loss point happens but not that often. Too bad they didn't fix it or this game would be perfect.

VALIS said:
Alright, this is ridiculous now. I'm losing against Nashville 4-0 with 16:32 left in the 2nd, shots 27-5 in favor of Nashville, puck control 6:05 to 1:15 in their favor. I like a challenge, but cripes. I can't take the puck from them. :( Time to manipulate some sliders, see what happens.

watch your TEamate AI they just stand still and leave player open alot fo the time even when you take the puck your teamates will be standing still doing nothing at times.

It gets frustrating.

VALIS said:

You can tune down AI learning and that will make a difference. Also, turn down pass speed and turn up shots blocked and poke checking to full.

On All-Star:

Game speed: 2
Puck control: 1
Fight Difficulty: 3
Fatigue Effect: 4
AI Learning: 3

Fatigue Recovery: 2
Player Acceleration: 3

Hitting Power: 3
Aggression: 3
Poke effectiveness: 6

Pass Speed: 2
Saucer Pass Speed: 4
Pass Interceptions: 6
Goalie Passing: 2

Shot Accuracy: 0
Shot Power: 2

Shot Blocking: 6
Hook Effectiveness: 6
Penalty Shot Frequency: 5
Goalie Cover Puck Frequency: FULL

hadareud

The Translator
reading those glowing 08 impressions is torture.

when will those companies finally release worldwide at the same time and not a week and a half apart?

VALIS

Yeah, the teammate defensive AI is weak. They're too passive. I'm sure that can be tweaked somewhere, though.(?)

Doctor Who, I'll give those a shot.

Really my biggest problem is taking the puck away. I'm being patient and staying in my zones (ie. not following the play to the right side of the ice with a left defender), but I could be all over the puck carrier like a parka and still not get the puck away from him. Some of those slider tweaks (less puck control, more poke check) should help that.

Phthisis

Osorio said:
Yeah but if everyone's playing All-Star I don't want to be left behind.

Went All-Star and never looked back :D

The only slider adjustment I made so far is taking down the game speed one notch. I played Atlanta in my first game, and they beat me 4-3 (Hossa had 2 goals). I'll play a few more and see what other sliders need to be tweaked.

But so far the all-star CPU provides a good challenge.

Phthisis said:
Went All-Star and never looked back :D

The only slider adjustment I made so far is taking down the game speed one notch. I played Atlanta in my first game, and they beat me 4-3 (Hossa had 2 goals). I'll play a few more and see what other sliders need to be tweaked.

But so far the all-star CPU provides a good challenge.

I adjusted mine to try and get realistic stats. Shots have hovered around 30 for both teams in my games. When I had everything at default we would have 45+ every game.

VALIS said:
Yeah, the teammate defensive AI is weak. They're too passive. I'm sure that can be tweaked somewhere, though.(?)

Doctor Who, I'll give those a shot.

Really my biggest problem is taking the puck away. I'm being patient and staying in my zones (ie. not following the play to the right side of the ice with a left defender), but I could be all over the puck carrier like a parka and still not get the puck away from him. Some of those slider tweaks (less puck control, more poke check) should help that.

Yeah, poke checking and shot blocking will help you get the puck back. Also, lowering pass speed will create more realistic passing percentages. Some of those sliders are just for personal preference so I would definitely play around with them to see what is most comfortable for you.

EDIT: I may have to adjust shot accuracy as I'm barely hitting the net from the blue line.

Sorry if this has already been discussed (didn't see it) but is there fighting in either game this year? I haven't had a whole lot of time to play either game yet, but in my handful of matches there weren't any.

RichyDevil said:
Sorry if this has already been discussed (didn't see it) but is there fighting in either game this year? I haven't had a whole lot of time to play either game yet, but in my handful of matches there weren't any.

There is fighting in 08... it sucks.

XiaNaphryz

DoctorWho said:
The regulation loss point happens but not that often. Too bad they didn't fix it or this game would be perfect.
Are the rest of my observations accurate? I'm debating which game to pick up. I'm leaning towards 2K8 as I'm primarily a franchise simming whore and don't play a great deal in-game.

XiaNaphryz said:
Are the rest of my observations accurate? I'm debating which game to pick up. I'm leaning towards 2K8 as I'm primarily a franchise simming whore and don't play a great deal in-game.

You are pretty much spot on with the rest of your observations but I wouldn't say the presentation is the best. Announcing is great but I wish they had more overlays during season mode that detailed player stats. Also, since the AI is so advanced this year I would say the learning curve is a bit greater but not due to the controls.

I haven't played 2k8 so I can't compare.

I'm playing around with the league settings right now.

You have an option to set how many games you play against each team in the league. I wonder if 1 will be sufficient?

EDIT: It looks like you can't send out invites for the league. Instead, people join it once you've set the league up. I created a NeoGAF league just to test it out.

VALIS

Those are good sliders Doctor Who, made a world of difference. Actually might even be a little too easy now, but I'll give it a few more games and find out.

The only personal adjustments I made to those are

Game Speed 1 instead of 2
AI Learning 6 instead of 3
Shot Accuracy 2 instead of 0

I don't mind the AI making hardcore adjustments on me, I just want a fighting chance to stop them in the defensive zone, which I feel I have now.

ps - Denogg... I accepted your invite but the game wasn't available by the time I got through all the EA legal screens. :p

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'd have to believe EA patches that regulation loss/point glitch at some point. One of the reasons I left the 2K series was because of glitches like that.

BojTrek

Banned
This is the first post/thread where two opposing games are actually getting good/bad points on both sides.

No one is really "NHL 08 shits on NHL2K8" or "NHL2K8 craps in NHL 08's face"

We are all actually having a normal conversations on plusses/minuses on both games...

Weird...

Will it be the same for NBA2K8 and NBA Live 08... cuz NBA Live Sucks Ass! Dirty/Stinky Ass!

BojTrek said:
This is the first post/thread where two opposing games are actually getting good/bad points on both sides.

No one is really "NHL 08 shits on NHL2K8" or "NHL2K8 craps in NHL 08's face"

We are all actually having a normal conversations on plusses/minuses on both games...

Weird...

Will it be the same for NBA2K8 and NBA Live 08... cuz NBA Live Sucks Ass! Dirty/Stinky Ass!

Hear hear. If this is the trend of next-gen sports games - meaning two excellent, different, and ultimately satisfying games come out at virtually the same time, pleasing almost all of the fans - then this sort of conversation may actually be able to continue. It's all so refreshing.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
VALIS said:
we're that good, not winning the cup last year was a fluke!

XiaNaphryz

RichyDevil said:
Hear hear. If this is the trend of next-gen sports games - meaning two excellent, different, and ultimately satisfying games come out at virtually the same time, pleasing almost all of the fans - then this sort of conversation may actually be able to continue. It's all so refreshing.
I think this is an anomaly...I can't see this happening with NFL or college football. :D

rs7k

Either the servers are crap, or the game is really buggy. I can't get in a game without losing my connection or my 360 crashing.

VALIS said:
Those are good sliders Doctor Who, made a world of difference. Actually might even be a little too easy now, but I'll give it a few more games and find out.

The only personal adjustments I made to those are

Game Speed 1 instead of 2
AI Learning 6 instead of 3
Shot Accuracy 2 instead of 0

I don't mind the AI making hardcore adjustments on me, I just want a fighting chance to stop them in the defensive zone, which I feel I have now.

ps - Denogg... I accepted your invite but the game wasn't available by the time I got through all the EA legal screens. :p

What kind of shot totals are you getting it?

Plinko said:
I'd have to believe EA patches that regulation loss/point glitch at some point. One of the reasons I left the 2K series was because of glitches like that.

Apparently it was in last year's game.

:/

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Went to Futureshop to grab a copy of NHL 08...nothing. Girl tells me it comes in tomorrow. Next chance I get to get it is Sunday.

Not happy, although the impressions so far are very encouraging.

rs7k said:
Either the servers are crap, or the game is really buggy. I can't get in a game without losing my connection or my 360 crashing.

There is an EA community manager over at operation sports and people are reporting the problems to him. He specifically wants to know about online issues.

EDIT: Wolf, why don't you just go to an EB. They had a mountain of copies when I was there.

Top Bottom