• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damnnit, now I have two copies of Hearts of Iron 3! :lol

I have the D2D version of HOI3 (which the Steam version of Semper Fi won't work with), but the Semper Fi version everywhere else but Steam is 9.99. Therefore it's the same to just buy both from Steam as it would be to get Semper Fi by itself.

Rufus said:
There anything in particular you want that is NOT in one of the packs or hasn't been a daily indie deal?

Well, I have one...Guardians of Graxia. But I caved and bought it today. ;p

I've actually picked up a truckload of indie titles this sale. Those packs are criminal.

shadowcomplex said:
Found evil geniues just sitting there for 1.50. BOUGHT WITH AN IRON FIST.

Oooo thanks for the heads up. I've always regretted selling that. Not as good as Dungeon Keeper 2 but still a very entertaining entry in that limited genre.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Holy crap 1.50 for CivCity and Shattered Union. They could suck balls, but for a 1.50 I don't think I can feel ripped off. :lol

I love getting 1 and sub dollar games during the Steam sales.

Yes you can.
CivCity is actually a pretty good game which I am trying to make everyone aware of. (Last page had some links) - Buy it! Now! Play it! Agree with me! :lol

And Shattered Union doesnt run on Windows Vista and only if you are lucky on Windows 7. - That might be considered a rip-off.

Toma said:
Yes you can.
CivCity is actually a pretty good game which I am trying to make everyone aware of. (Last page had some links) - Buy it! Now! Play it! Agree with me! :lol

And Shattered Union doesnt run on Windows Vista and only if you are lucky on Windows 7. - That might be considered a rip-off.

The Act of War games annoyed me more. Those games I had to screw with the bios or something odd to get it to work on W7.

Port Royale 2 never has run.

Besides that I can't complain.

What bad experiences did you have?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
The Act of War games annoyed me more. Those games I had to screw with the bios or something odd to get it to work on W7.

Port Royale 2 never has run.

Besides that I can't complain.

What bad experiences did you have?

Shattered Union is straight out not compatible with Windows Vista, which sucks balls for people having Windows Vista. Even says so on the steam page at the bottom. Never thought about reading that.. Its a shame though as I really would have liked to try it. But you are right, 50 cents is nothing. Just wanted to make people aware of the fact that its not running on Vista and most 7 systems.

(and if you want to get it to work, guess what, you need to screw with the Bios :D )

Toma

Am I correct to assume that Freedom Force vs the Third Reich is a pretty well known game? Otherwise this game (1,70€) deserves another marketing blitz similar to the CivCity one.

Same with the lucas arts pack (2 Indie Adventures, Loom, The Dig) for 5€

gotee12

Toma said:
Shattered Union is straight out not compatible with Windows Vista, which sucks balls for people having Windows Vista. Even says so on the steam page at the bottom. Never thought about reading that.. Its a shame though as I really would have liked to try it. But you are right, 50 cents is nothing. Just wanted to make people aware of the fact that its not running on Vista and most 7 systems.

(and if you want to get it to work, guess what, you need to screw with the Bios :D )

To get Shattered Union to work on my Win764bit machine I had to limit the RAM in Windows to 2GB. The game doesn't support anything over that and if Win7 sees more than 2GB, Shattered Union crashes on start up.

To cut to the chase, I got Shattered Union up and running (via this post). Spent 30 minutes in it. Then uninstalled it. It's very bleh.

Gonna boot up my Dai Senryaku VII disk one day on the 360 to see if it's backwards compatible.

sfried

Sysgen said:
I've played it and it doesn't remind me of Portal at all. More Unreal as an environmental puzzler. Only thing that bothered me about The Ball was "looking for the story" otherwise it's an easy choice @ $5.
Yeah, now that I've played a little of it it does. Oddly enough, part of me regrets not having gotten it for OnLive instead since it plays much smoother there, because right now I'm about to simply call it The playaBall since I'm running it on a notebook.

Toma said:

gotee12 said:
To get Shattered Union to work on my Win764bit machine I had to limit the RAM in Windows to 2GB. The game doesn't support anything over that and if Win7 sees more than 2GB, Shattered Union crashes on start up.

To cut to the chase, I got Shattered Union up and running (via this post). Spent 30 minutes in it. Then uninstalled it. It's very bleh.

Yuck, just like the Act of War games. Well there goes .49 cents! :lol

Good to know I can run them with some effort.

I'm still debating whether to actually get Hearts of Iron 3 so I can get Semper Fi. I've been playing (and sucking) at Victoria, so at least I know I'll play it. Now my big question is should I just get Europa Universalia III Complete also, so I have a nice little time range of Paradox games.

ChoklitReign said:
Are all the Quake games worth $10 for the single player? Obviously I'm excluding III.

I've had them on Steam for 2 years or so and have never bothered to try anything but multiplayer. I'd say spend your money elsewhere if you're looking for good single player shooters.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
echoshifting said:
Oooo thanks for the heads up. I've always regretted selling that. Not as good as Dungeon Keeper 2 but still a very entertaining entry in that limited genre.
no problem :lol i love that game to death mostly for nostalgic reasons but still so good:D

I have to take the bait on Dead Space for a lil over 6 bucks and I'm hearing good things about Amnesia the Dark Descent.

Help Gaf: Is Kane and Lynch worth the 5 bucks I'll spend on it to occupy my Hard Drive???

I decided to buy Amnesia. I probably won't play it right away, but it can't really get much cheaper than $4.80 anyway.
So far, my total cost has been $16.52, and I've picked up:

FEAR/Extraction Point/Perseus Mandate
Mirror's Edge
Bully
Amnesia
PB Winterbottom

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Just got home again, Ball Demo down and trying now ^_^

I'm on the fence on Amnesia though. I'm probably not going be able to ever play it... I can't even watch horror movies, but I've been hearing great things about it.

Still really wish there were demos for Greed Corp and S&S HD, both which are getting passed on thanks to that.

shintoki said:
Still really wish there were demos for Greed Corp and S&S HD, both which are getting passed on thanks to that.
Greed Corp has a demo on 360, if that helps... not sure why they didn't make one for PC.

Salsa

So is the CCC mod that Cuban Legend and other people made really a must have for Crysis ?

I remember i used it before but could not see any improvement on performance (wich is what i really care about)..

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SalsaShark said:
So is the CCC mod that Cuban Legend and other people made really a must have for Crysis ?

I remember i used it before but could not see any improvement on performance (wich is what i really care about)..
Not really. I prefer the Vanilla lighting.

Big-E

What is Swords and Soldiers HD? The price suggests I should buy it regardless of quality but I want to know what I am getting into.

AmericanNinja said:
Is Dead space PC worth it? And does it used GFWL?

I loved the game and I am a pretty picky gamer. I cant speak on how it compares to the console versions, but the PC version looked really good and handled like a dream once I enabled triple buffering and vsync through D3DOverrider.

Wthermans

Banned
Seriously considering the Brothers In Arms Pack & Amnesia. I'm hearing rumors that BIA is Windows 2000/XP only though. Can anyone confirm that?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
commissar said:
Is there any benefit to buying quake 3 over quake live?

Mods for one, and I could be mistaken here, but I think Quake Live uses p2p networking for the matches whereas with Q3 proper you get dedicated servers.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Big-E said:
What is Swords and Soldiers HD? The price suggests I should buy it regardless of quality but I want to know what I am getting into.
It's a side scrolling tower defense game with offensive as well as defensive options. It's somewhat reminiscent of the old PC game Gearheads. I think it's worth the $2.50.

So I just noticed Railroad Tycoon 2 Platinum is $1.24. Any fans of this series here? The only one I've played is Railroads!, and while I enjoy it, I find everything a bit too simplified. I've heard the older games take a more realistic approach, but is RC2 Platinum even worth picking up if RC3 for just a little more?

Dambrosi

Banned
Y'know, I wasn't going to buy Amnesia (I'd just gifted two cheap games as repayment for the Serious Sam HD twins, and I didn't like the demo too much), but the Penumbra Discount tipped me over the edge. Oh, Steam :lol

So that's:

Deus ex Collection
Mass Effect 2 (gifted)
Darksiders
Shattered Union
Misadventures of PB Winterbottom
Flatout: Ultimate Carnage
FEAR: Ultimate Shooter Edition
Killing Floor Bundle
Serious Sam HD Double Pack (gifted)
Crysis Complete (gifted)
Swords & Soldiers HD (bought to gift)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
CivCity Rome x2 (one bought to gift, one for myself)
*oh shit - not to mention getting Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box off EA for free AND finding out that all the freebies I blagged off the EA Store more than a year ago were still available for download - stuff like Mirror's Edge, Dead Space and Medal Of Honor: Airborne. Lemme tell you, that was a pleasant surprise :lol

which all comes to £32.55 (including payments and exchanges to GAF gifters).

Not a bad haul at all, but even though I'm unemployed at the moment, how am I gonna find the time to play all these? I've still got tons of stuff from the last Steam Xmas Sale I haven't touched :lol Good thing I'm almost out of cash :lol

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Big-E said:
Demo on PSN if you have it.

That demo turned me off the game. It's just not for me.

Tadale

Quick question: could I buy one of the older Penumbra games and get the discount for Amnesia by buying it afterwards? If so, which is the best game to get?

I think one of my favorite things about Steam is the way it tracks what your friends have been playing. Between 28 of you, you crazy bastards have put 130 hours into Super Meat Boy in the past two weeks. Man I can't wait to get home and play that one. :D

OK GAF, help me out here:

I have Empire: Total War with the Special Forces pack.

I want Napoleon: Total War, probably with the expansions.

I could pay $37 now, get Napoleon with all DLC, plus all the DLC for Empire.

But

dudes at Steam won't give me extra copies of Empire and the Special Forces.

So, do I say "who cares?" and move on and buy Napoleon + DLC for both games for what seems like a swell price?

Or do I wait for a gold/goty edition of Napoleon for probably the same price later on, possibly with mo'better DLC? Or possibly a Thanksgiving offer where I can gift an extra copy to a po' white trash friend?

Signed,

The Rent is Too Damn High

Joe Molotov

DeuceMojo said:
OK GAF, help me out here:

I have Empire: Total War with the Special Forces pack.

I want Napoleon: Total War, probably with the expansions.

I could pay $37 now, get Napoleon with all DLC, plus all the DLC for Empire.

But

dudes at Steam won't give me extra copies of Empire and the Special Forces.

So, do I say "who cares?" and move on and buy Napoleon + DLC for both games for what seems like a swell price?

Or do I wait for a gold/goty edition of Napoleon for probably the same price later on, possibly with mo'better DLC? Or possibly a Thanksgiving offer where I can gift an extra copy to a po' white trash friend?

Signed,

The Rent is Too Damn High

Wait and see if there's a daily sale. [/kneejerk]

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wthermans said:
Seriously considering the Brothers In Arms Pack & Amnesia. I'm hearing rumors that BIA is Windows 2000/XP only though. Can anyone confirm that?

I looked it up on Steam forums and it seems all 3 games work just fine. The reason the first two didn't work was because of Starforce DRM bullshit, but apparently that has been taken out for the Steam release. There are people there who say they downloaded the first two and that they run just fine :)

Edit: The Steam Store page says Windows 2000/XP ONLY though, but given that more than one person has said all 3 games work fine in Vista/7 there shouldn't be any worries.

Free gift of Amnesia to the first person replying.

This will be the 5th gift of this game I will have given out, and I am too damn frightened to even play it myself. Sigh.

kai3345

Banned
purvispisgah said:
Free gift of Amnesia to the first person replying.

This will be the 5th gift of this game I will have given out, and I am too damn frightened to even play it myself. Sigh.
ill give it to a friend

edit: damn

Shaneus

kai3345 said:
Holy shit @ Mount and Blade. Did not expect it to be nearly as fun as it was.
Please don't post about how good games are that aren't currently on sale... I went to have a look and was yesterday I saw it on sale, not today :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom