• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought dead space and Amnesia. I really hope the sales in the coming days suck. I've got to try and manage my wallet so that I can afford the Paradox pack and Square pack.
Dani said:
Picked up Civ 4 Complete because I can't afford Civ 5 and all this talk about Civ games got me interested. Any tips and pointers? I've always liked the concept but never tried a Civ game before.
As someone who has played the game to completion twice and nearly to completion three more times I've got a few tips. I'll go from earliest time period tips to lastest.

*Google the civ roster in Civilization 4 and it'll give you an idea of what their strengths are. Some of them produce great amounts of culture which makes for great expansions, others have good workers and others have military advantages. Try lots of different leaders.

*Start your first few games in the very easiest difficulty. There is a lot to learn and higher difficulties will frustrate you.

*If you are on the low difficulty make your scout AND your warrior explore some territory as soon as you find a nice place to settle. Don't worry about giving up a few turns before settling because all areas outside of your tiny zone are unknown. You could settle next to a barren wasteland for all you know and it'll fuck with your city's production and population potential.

*While your soldier and scout are on exploration mode do not be afraid of destroying a civilization if you are right next to it. Do not start a war unless you're right next to that civilization early in the game.

*DO NOT TRUST MONTEZUMA FOR SHIT IF YOU SEE HIM. Salaadin is also not very trustworthy. The Japanese are stingy as fuck too.

*Try to make your cities near rivers, lakes and the coast. It gives you health bonuses and protection from once side. Try to find hills near bodies of water too. When you set up archers on a city that is placed on a hill they become an impenetrable wall until gunpowder units come into play.

*The first technology you discover should religion based. It'll help you build culture which in turn helps increase your city's influence and keeps barbarian animals out of your territory.

*Do not be afraid to use slavery if you want to build military units or buildings quickly. It's an invaluable tool when you are in a pinch.

*Build tons of military units early on in the game. You'll be able to upgrade them using money when you get access to more resources.

*Make sure to get technologies that lead to banking improvements since it'll subsidize your unit upgrades. This is very important for war.

*The great people that are born in your cities will offer distinct advantages. You could use them to unlock certain technologies or you could use them to build important buildings that help your city produce even more culture, money or research. Use the scientists for the buildings since it'll offer a steady flow of extra research for the length of the game. The artists and prophets are really more of a matter of choice

*Do not be afraid to trade technologies. Try to get techs that are worth more research than yours. You may get as many as two techs if your tech is really important to the other Civ.

*DO NOT TRUST ANYONE EXCEPT YOUR CLOSEST ALLIES IN THE LAST 150 YEARS(or turns) OF THE GAME. THEY WILL TRY TO FUCK WITH YOU.

Hope this helps.

Toma said:
Woah. CivCity keeps getting better and better. Even though the ONE major criticism I have wont be erased... it is.. amazingly well done. Best buy together with SMB in this sale for me so far. Seriously, its crazy. I cant let you ignore this. :D

And again: 1$/€
Can you give me the link to it? I think it's not in my region because it doesn't appear for me anywhere. Just in case.

JDS 1977

Banned
Grabbed Amnesia finally, as well as Civcity Rome. I coulda saved 2$ if my Penumbra collection was on steam rather than D2D though. Oh well, at least the devs probably get more money that way right?

I still need to finish the first Penumbra game though, the first one feels a bit dated but it's still very fun and spooky. I bought them all and now Amnesia on their rep alone.

I felt compelled to add CivCity Rome to my cart for some reason...
Also got Hell's Highway and Amnesia.

And Grand Ages: Rome from Green Man Gaming. $2.45 when trading in my duplicate of Tropico 3.
And Outcast from GOG. Sweet. Been wanting to try it out for like ten years.

SolarPowered said:
*DO NOT TRUST MONTEZUMA FOR SHIT IF YOU SEE HIM. Salaadin is also not very trustworthy. The Japanese are stingy as fuck too.

Personally I take it upon myself to wipe Ghandi from the face of the map as soon as I encounter him - out of all the Civ's, he always causes a ton of trouble if you leave him be and he's so fucking greedy.

I was just about to press the button until I remembered something. Is there any DRM I should worry about when it comes to Dead space?

I don't want any of that limited activation crap...
Bootaaay said:
Personally I take it upon myself to wipe Ghandi from the face of the map as soon as I encounter him - out of all the Civ's, he always causes a ton of trouble if you leave him be and he's so fucking greedy.
I've played the game in epic and marathon mode several times and I have yet to run into him.:lol

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Sgt.Pepper said:
Yep. It isn't available for me. Oh well.

Now it is.

Back on topic:

Seeeeriously guys. Let me convince you to buy it if you like these games. Its 1 buck. A few post up is a post with a screenshot and some impressions.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
SolarPowered said:
I've played the game in epic and marathon mode several times and I have yet to run into him.:lol
He'll have the largest and most advanced nation with the most powerful army and you'll still get "Are you willing to spare this for a good friend?" trade messages from him. Bastard.

EDIT: :lol Toma you're on a crusade!

Bebpo

Banned
Toma said:
Woah. CivCity keeps getting better and better. Even though the ONE major criticism I have wont be erased... it is.. amazingly well done. Best buy together with SMB in this sale for me so far. Seriously, its crazy. I cant let you ignore this. :D

And again: 1$/€ for

2w3qsxu.jpg

Impressions 1
Impressions 2

super monkey ball?

Toma said:
Now it is.

Back on topic:

Seeeeriously guys. Let me convince you to buy it if you like these games. Its 1 buck. A few post up is a post with a screenshot and some impressions.
At first I checked the link again, the wondered what this meant; I check my Steam client and woah.

I'll try to gift you something before the sales finish.

Toma said:
Now it is.

Back on topic:

Never tried these games but for a dollar can't really go wrong, bought.

KPJZKC

Ha, generous Gaffers gifting people games?

I might just pick up that CivCity game, running out of things to spend money on...

And Warband becoming better known? Hooray!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Mr_Guillotine said:
Never tried these games but for a dollar can't really go wrong, bought.

Thank you, I actually think its a perfect start for gamers who never tried these kind of games. My gf started it today and she really likes it, along with a few Gaffers who didnt try these kind of games as well.

There are a few things which arent as good explained as I wanted them to be, but you can add me on Steam and ask me directly if you want/need to.

Sgt.Pepper said:
At first I checked the link again, the wondered what this meant; I check my Steam client and woah.

I'll try to gift you something before the sales finish.

You dont need to :) Of course I dont mind if you gift me a game you like, which I otherwise might not have tried ;) But my buying habits are a bit... out of hand, might be hard to fo find such a game in that price range :p
Seriously though. Enjoy the game. Hope you like it =)

Toma said:
Thank you, I actually think its a perfect start for gamers who never tried these kind of games. My gf started it today and she really likes it, along with a few Gaffers who didnt try these kind of games as well.

There are a few things which arent as good explained as I wanted them to be, but you can add me on Steam and ask me directly if you want/need to.

Yeah, I was actually interested in the genre so this is perfect. Thanks for letting us all know.

Also, I think I have you on Steam already, I'm Bill S. Preston Esquire.

Toma

Mr_Guillotine said:
Yeah, I was actually interested in the genre so this is perfect. Thanks for letting us all know.

Also, I think I have you on Steam already, I'm Bill S. Preston Esquire.

Ack. Sry.. no offense. I really need to make a list with Gaf - Steam name equivalents..

Toma

Bootaaay said:
All this talk of city building games compels me to post this here;

http://www.playnileonline.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIjG8wV67tY

By the Tilted Mill guys, it's a browser game, free to play and very much like Children of the Nile, but with persistant online.

Has it this stupid "Your building takes 3 real life minutes to build"... *5 days later*... "Your building needs 456789 real life days to build" - thing? If not I will definitely take a look.

Just checked... Not for me. I cant play a game like this again. I will buy the real Children of the Nile on steam again though <3

Just searched online and apparently there is a three machine activation limit on Dead Space thanks to the SecuROM BS.

I'll save the cash for something that is actually worth my money.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SolarPowered said:
Just searched online and apparently there is a three machine activation limit on Dead Space thanks to the SecuROM BS.

I'll save the cash for something that is actually worth my money.
There is no DRM on the Steam version.

I have installed the game much more than 3 times without doing any deactivation shit.

Stallion Free said:
There is no DRM on the Steam version.

I have installed the game much more than 3 times without doing any deactivation shit.
You serious?

Edit:
Just checked the Wiki and saw it myself. Now I'm buying no problem. Thanks a lot, Stallion.

NO DRM HERE POSTERS OR LURKERS.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Anyone else here got Kane and Lynch?

Seems like a somewhat underrated game.

IrishNinja

grim fandango/bloodlines shops are cold.

wait, so if you got penumbra: overture in the HIB, what's left? i see black plague gold on steam, but some of you keep saying it has 3 parts.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm such a pussy. I got to the part in Amnesia where the note explains the basic premise, then on the way back I wussed out. My god.

IrishNinja said:
grim fandango/bloodlines shops are cold.

wait, so if you got penumbra: overture in the HIB, what's left? i see black plague gold on steam, but some of you keep saying it has 3 parts.

Overture. Black Plague. Requiem.

vocab

Steam tells you upfront if it has drm.

The only game that isn't advertised with DRM is Alpha Protocol, but that's because Sega tried to remove it, but failed. You have to patch it your self.

Did you try adjusting the CivCity resolution directly in the Documents\CivCity Rome\CivCityRome.GraphicsSettings.xml file, Toma? That gives you more options than the launcher, though 2d and such still gets stretched if you set a 16:10 or :9 res.

Toma

slidewinder said:
Did you try adjusting the CivCity resolution directly in the Documents\CivCity Rome\CivCityRome.GraphicsSettings.xml file, Toma? That gives you more options than the launcher, though 2d and such still gets stretched if you set a 16:10 or :9 res.

Actually, I tried. Didnt seem to change anything for me. Always looked the same. Ingame 3D Graphics are now unstretched for you?

iSimon

Toma said:

And again: 1$/€ for

2w3qsxu.jpg

Impressions 1
Impressions 2
Can somebody help me out with this, I can't get it in my region.
Steam name is iSim0n.

I'll Paypal you the dollar.

So far I love Civcity:Rome.

Also seeing tons of Mount and Blade Warband servers with players on them warms my heart.

I just now found out that Hinterland and Mosby's Confederacy are only $2.49 each.

Damn I probably have enough games already to last me till next year's sale.

Truespeed

Toma said:
How can I get it to run with Steam games? Just making an executable on the desktop doesnt seem to work.
Anyone got it to work with a steam game at all?

Hmm, I thought some of the older games might have been able to be run without the Steam client. Looks like they need to be.

Veidt said:
Anyone else here got Kane and Lynch?

Seems like a somewhat underrated game.
I would say that it's rated. 66 is fair, I'd give it a 7.
It's really short and the part where its a game is not particularly outstanding. Its rough presentation and tone is though. It's certainly worth €4.99.

edit
Should mention I played it on 360.

Talon

CaptainAhab said:
I'm astonished that Black Ops is still #11 in sales on Steam. Who in the world would buy that at $60 in the middle of this sale?
Steam rankings are done by dollar amounts not units.

Hence a $60 game hanging in there against $15 ones.

Dambrosi

Banned
CaptainAhab said:
I'm astonished that Black Ops is still #11 in sales on Steam. Who in the world would buy that at $60 in the middle of this sale?
The charts are based on raw revenue earned, not copies sold.

The only reason CoD:BlOps is up there is because it's so...reasonably priced :lol

Also, glad to see so many people loving CivCity Rome.

wayward archer said:
Also seeing tons of Mount and Blade Warband servers with players on them warms my heart.
Oh man I suck so bad at it. Is there a way to practice bows without getting shot in the face by people who know what they're doing? It's hard to see where the hell my arrows are going on my 17" screen. And I don't think the game gives you any feedback when you manage to hit something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom