• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been playing the Ball demo, quite lengthy, the mechanics are interesting but I am not really having that much fun doing these things. So I don't think I will go for the game, most of the time ive been risky with these deals.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
RedSwirl said:
I've never played Brothers in Arms and the whole main series is now $10. Get?

What should I expect here? Where does it sit on the tactical shooter scale between Gears and say, the first Ghost Recon?
It's very similar to the recent Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter games as it is a very simple set up for placing your men/telling them where to fire, but good placements are what the game is all about. One bad call can leave one of your squads near death or you getting fucked with a lot of fire coming your way.

Fredescu said:
If I wanted to get just one Brothers in Arms game, which one should I get?
I find it hard to recommend just one as I find Hell's Highway (the last one) the best, but the story can't be appreciated to it's fullest without the previous two.

If you *really* just have to buy one though, go with Hell's Highway. The game has a great cover system and the aiming feels excellent on mouse and keyboard. You will probably want to rebind everything to standard FPS configs, but once you are comfortable it can be a real pleasure ordering your squads around. You will get in this rhythym of ordering your troops from cover to cover while also moving yourself and when the camera cuts away to a machine emplacement getting blown away by a bazooka squad or a German jerking back as you get that headshot on him just before your squad leaves cover, it can be a goddamn magical experience.

Furthering this is pretty much every level having it's own mood. You have the bright days, but you also get the brooding quiet nights, the cities on fire, the dreary day when the rain is pouring, and the sunset in the industrial part of town. Fuck the UE3 haters, the game looks great and it keeps the variety coming.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Dani said:
Picked up Civ 4 Complete because I can't afford Civ 5 and all this talk about Civ games got me interested. Any tips and pointers? I've always liked the concept but never tried a Civ game before.
Do not ally with Montezuma. He is a filthy filthy liar, and he will always always attack you.

Always.

He lies.

Do not trust him, don't let hm back into your life, don't think "this time will be different"

It never is.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
The_Technomancer said:
Do not ally with Montezuma. He is a filthy filthy liar, and he will always always attack you.

Always.

He lies.

Do not trust him, don't let hm back into your life, don't think "this time will be different"

It never is.
Not true. You just have to act like a dick like him.

Unfortunately he's usually one of the weaker nations whenever I play.

Glix

Bufbaf said:
FYI: Alpha Protocol is fucking amazing. If it's on the best of on sunday: Buy it! If not, buy it, too.

I'm having some performance issues on my crappy rig, but I'm loving it too!

Popstar

Truespeed said:
Did you download and play the demo? I'm sort of interested in what other people have to say about this game. They could have done so much more.
I'm using a Mac at the moment. Maybe I'll try the demo out this evening when I'm back next to my Windows box.

vocab

Glix said:
I'm having some performance issues on my crappy rig, but I'm loving it too!

If you haven't done the tweaks for the mouse problems, I suggest trying so. I played for a few minutes after I did the ini tweaks, and it just felt better. Removed the annoying level streaming shit that plagues most UE3 games.

joshwaan

Guys would it be worth purchasing dead Space again. Already got it on from gamergate which does not work with Windows 7. Would the steam version work with Windows 7 64Bit?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Truespeed said:
For those of you trying to play old games in unsupported windowed mode there is an application called dxwnd that will force DX based games into whatever size window you want. You may need to play around with the options, but it seems to do the job.

How can I get it to run with Steam games? Just making an executable on the desktop doesnt seem to work.
Anyone got it to work with a steam game at all?

Link Man

Banned
Picked up Plants vs. Zombies. At $4, I couldn't resist.

Still hoping Morrowind shows up as a daily deal (yes, I know it's 25% off right now), but my hope is fading.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Alucrid said:
Are there any mods for Dead Space? Or anything that would make me consider it over the console version?
From what I've heard the asteroid/ship defense achievements are much easier to get on the PC.

RedSwirl

I just downloaded the demos for the first two Brothers in Arms games and neither will run on Windows Vista. Road to Hill 30 won't even install and Earned in Blood's StarForce protection get's blocked by Vista.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
InertiaXr said:
I got Dragon Age UE during the daily deal, and just today finished modding it and actually started playing. I've tried over and over to turn OFF the automatic updates so that it won't update some day and erase all the mods I have on, but it keeps getting turned back on for whatever reason, typically when I load DA up. Is this a bug or a feature?:lol
Installed DAZips and anything in you Override folder are in no danger of being messed up, as there's no more Dragon Age patches/updates coming this close to Dragon Age 2.

echoshifting said:
You and me both...steadily approaching "wife aggro" mark.
You didn't buy Christmas gifts to tank for you?

Zzoram

Why is the mouse speed so fast in Fallout New Vegas? Even on lowest sensitivity my mouse cursor is zipping around at uncontrollable speed.

I'm happy to see that Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the top selling game right now. :D

Luckily today is another day where nothing interests me. *wallet dances*

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
joshwaan said:
Guys would it be worth purchasing dead Space again. Already got it on from gamergate which does not work with Windows 7. Would the steam version work with Windows 7 64Bit?
I have played the Steam version of Dead Space fine on Win 7 64-bit.

Alucrid said:
Are there any mods for Dead Space? Or anything that would make me consider it over the console version?
Beyond 1080p 60 fps, no.

Jive Turkey said:
From what I've heard the asteroid/ship defense achievements are much easier to get on the PC.
There are no achievements on the PC version.

RedSwirl said:
I just downloaded the demos for the first two Brothers in Arms games and neither will run on Windows Vista. Road to Hill 30 won't even install and Earned in Blood's StarForce protection get's blocked by Vista.
Both games on Steam make no reference to StarForce I do believe they don't use it in any capacity. They play fine on Windows 7 64-bit.

Volcynika

Jive Turkey said:
Huh? I thought it was GFWL. I distictly remember people talking about how easy "Don't Get Cocky Kid" and "Get Off My Ship" were on PC.

I'm not sure, but I don't think any of EA's games are GFWL, as none of them are also Steamworks. Or something. I could be wrong!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Jive Turkey said:
Huh? I thought it was GFWL. I distictly remember people talking about how easy "Don't Get Cocky Kid" and "Get Off My Ship" were on PC.
No it's easy to accomplish those things if we did have achievements. The game is neither GFW or GFWL.

Proc

Gabe got me to go buy some computer accessories to play my new awesome pc games in the optimal conditions.

I snagged a logitech g700 (loving it) as well as a steel series 7g...both of these peripherals are pure luxury.

lordy88

I'm having some issues with "The Ultimate Doom", and was hoping for some help.

Unfortunately, for some reason the mouse is not configured to look either left or right, making moving wish WASD practically impossible. Does anyone have any suggestions? (Outside of using the blasted Arrow Keys) I couldn't find anything on the interwebs.

Proc

seady said:
I already have Amnesia and Pvs.Z, but not on Steam… Should I get it again???…. Feel stupid for doing so.

Personally, I've avoided double dips this sale since there is so many other games to spend my money on. Well actually, I did grab mass effect even though I completed one play through on 360.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
lordy88 said:

Unfortunately, for some reason the mouse is not configured to look either left or right, making moving wish WASD practically impossible. Does anyone have any suggestions? (Outside of using the blasted Arrow Keys)
http://zdoom.org/

Use it. Love it.

Smash88

Banned
Plants vs Zombies, Greed Corp, The Ball, Swords vs Soldiers..... Fuck you Steam. :(

Well that's my budget, done for the rest of the sale.

McNerdBurger

Neo Member
lordy88 said:

Unfortunately, for some reason the mouse is not configured to look either left or right, making moving wish WASD practically impossible. Does anyone have any suggestions? (Outside of using the blasted Arrow Keys) I couldn't find anything on the interwebs.

Try this: http://zdoom.org/Download

I'm currently playing Doom II in 5.1 1080p, and it's wonderful.

Glix

Toma said:
How can I get it to run with Steam games? Just making an executable on the desktop doesnt seem to work.
Anyone got it to work with a steam game at all?

Somewhere in your steam folder are the actual game .exe's

Does that help? Sorry don't know much about the dxwind program.

sfried

I decided to get The Dyson Ball for $5 since it had a reasonable file size (1.5 Gigs) and seems like my PC can handle it. Plus I liked Portal and the Flash Version expansions so might as well give it a whirl...

Archie said:
It's a poor man's Portal, but still quite fun.
A "poor man's Portal" is still better than 90% of most FPS out there in the market, IMO.

Sysgen

sfried said:
I decided to get The Dyson Ball for $5 since it had a reasonable file size (1.5 Gigs) and seems like my PC can handle it. Plus I liked Portal and the Flash Version expansions so might as well give it a whirl...

A "poor man's Portal" is still better than 90% of most FPS out there in the market, IMO.

I've played it and it doesn't remind me of Portal at all. More Unreal as an environmental puzzler. Only thing that bothered me about The Ball was "looking for the story" otherwise it's an easy choice @ $5.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Woah. CivCity keeps getting better and better. Even though the ONE major criticism I have wont be erased... it is.. amazingly well done. Best buy together with SMB in this sale for me so far. Seriously, its crazy. I cant let you ignore this. :D

And again: 1$/€ for

2w3qsxu.jpg

Impressions 1
Impressions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom