• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
One thing NOT to do: Do not Uninstall Steam without backing up your games. It will take your Library with it. You could try renaming Steam directory(To like OldSteam or something), reinstall Steam, and move your old Steamapps folder over to see if that fixes your problem.

help, I can't play Hitman 2. the game plays in slow motion, and cutscene is also super slow that I am forced to skip those. hell, even the eidos logo at the start of the game run really really slow. I even thought the game crash because there's a long period of black screen

also, anyway to make it proper widescreen?

kamspy

Drkirby said:
One thing NOT to do: Do not Uninstall Steam without backing up your games. It will take your Library with it. You could try renaming Steam directory(To like OldSteam or something), reinstall Steam, and move your old Steamapps folder over to see if that fixes your problem.

I just kept the steamapps folder. Installed a fresh Steam on my fresh Windows 7 install. Copied my old steamapps folder over.

I've done it a bunch of times before with no problem. Now, almost nothing will launch.

Xamdou

In what order should I play the Star Wars Jedi Knight collection in terms of story continuity? Also which games should be played first in terms of game-play?

kamspy said:
I just kept the steamapps folder. Installed a fresh Steam on my fresh Windows 7 install. Copied my old steamapps folder over.

I've done it a bunch of times before with no problem. Now, almost nothing will launch.
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Steam and pasting your steamapps folder back in yet again? Just because it doesn't take long, and Steam's normally pretty good about fixing itself.

Xamdou said:
In what order should I play the Star Wars Jedi Knight collection in terms of story continuity? Also which games should be played first in terms of game-play?
Frankly, Jedi Knight 2 and academy are really the only games that feel modern.

kamspy

slidewinder said:
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Steam and pasting your steamapps folder back in yet again? Just because it doesn't take long, and Steam's normally pretty good about fixing itself.

Yeah that's my next move. I just tried New Vegas and it launched. Really odd.

Dambrosi

Banned
Something good for less than £2 would complete my sale. How about a DD on Civ IV Complete, Gabe? God knows it's cheap enough already. :lol

I caved and bought the Indie Fantasy and Smarts Packs today. I wish bundles that contained both Mac and non-Mac games let you gift the non-Mac games to people who could actually play them...

Bebpo

Banned
SapientWolf said:
It's still a $50 game, so it'll be $12.50 at 75% off. There's not much point in waiting because Amazon is currently selling it for $12.86 with free shipping and it's a Steamworks game.

Could always be more than 75% if SE understands the true worth of the game :D

/not going to pay $13 for it, sorry.

kamspy

Would it be smart for a huge publisher to give away a big budget game to increase the user base and hopefully get more people interested in buying a sequel.

For example, what if EA made Medal of Honor $1 tomorrow. Would it be a smart move?

kamspy said:
Would it be smart for a huge publisher to give away a big budget game to increase the user base and hopefully get more people interested in buying a sequel.

For example, what if EA made Medal of Honor $1 tomorrow. Would it be a smart move?

Which MOE? The new one? No. Not to mention they'd be massacred by their investors. I do wish MOE would have been a 75% sale as that is the only way I'd buy it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
cooljeanius said:
I caved and bought the Indie Fantasy and Smarts Packs today. I wish bundles that contained both Mac and non-Mac games let you gift the non-Mac games to people who could actually play them...
The solution is to get a copy of Windows!

I wonder if Steam will ever release a Mac only game, and what kind of backlash that would get :lol

Yes, but EA wouldn't do it, they are still trying to get their DD service off the ground. I could see Ubisoft or Sega trying that with one of their games, but not this sale.

kamspy said:

It's also a good idea to backup the /userdata folder as well because some games put their saves there. Which brings the number of locations a game might store its saves up to 8 or something.

kamspy

faceless007 said:
It's also a good idea to backup the /userdata folder as well because some games put their saves there. Which brings the number of locations a game might store its saves up to 8 or something.

I've always wondered that! Too late for me now.:p

Moving my steamapps again right now. Gonna reinstall Steam and see if that helps.

LovingSteam said:
Which MOE? The new one? No. Not to mention they'd be massacred by their investors. I do wish MOE would have been a 75% sale as that is the only way I'd buy it.

yeah the new one. Just a 24 hour, PC, digital download sale. Not like they're giving away the 360 sku for a week at wal mart.

I think it could be a great idea. Imagine the size of the community if they did that. You can't buy that kind of advertising for MOH 2.

duckroll

kamspy said:
yeah the new one. Just a 24 hour, PC, digital download sale. Not like they're giving away the 360 sku for a week at wal mart.

I think it could be a great idea. Imagine the size of the community if they did that. You can't buy that kind of advertising for MOH 2.

For 1 dollar? No that would be a stupid idea and completely devalue the game. For 10 dollars it might be somewhat effective. But the sweet spot for such a sale would probably be closer to $14.90 to $19.90.

kamspy said:
I've always wondered that! Too late for me now.:p

Moving my steamapps again right now. Gonna reinstall Steam and see if that helps.

They would NEVER allow it on Steam. Perhaps their own DD service.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
kamspy said:

MS recently did that, with .10 cent copies of Ages of Empires III Complete, followed by 1$ for Fear, Shadowrun, Viva Pinata, and others.

And to be honest, it works. It gets people to actually use the service. The problem? Their service isn't any good. People will do the same they do with Ubisoft store and GFWL. Buy it, but never use it for anything else other than the 1$ title. I figure the same would apply to franchises. People will buy it because it's cheap and play it. But I doubt it will create any long lasting buzz.

duckroll

shintoki said:
MS recently did that, with .10 cent copies of Ages of Empires III Complete, followed by 1$ for Fear, Shadowrun, Viva Pinata, and others.

Those games are all ancient though. There's no way MS would give away a brand new full price title for 1 buck even on GFWL.

kamspy

duckroll said:
For 1 dollar? No that would be a stupid idea and completely devalue the game. For 10 dollars it might be somewhat effective. But the sweet spot for such a sale would probably be closer to $14.90 to $19.90.

But it would be a promotion for Medal of Honor 2 more than trying to get revenue out of 1.

It's not gonna devalue the game because it won't be available for that price again.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
duckroll said:
Those games are all ancient though. There's no way MS would give away a brand new full price title for 1 buck even on GFWL.
It took me a moment to figure out, we were talking about the new Medal of Honor. :lol

duckroll

kamspy said:
But it would be a promotion for Medal of Honor 2 more than trying to get revenue out of 1.

It's not gonna devalue the game because it won't be available for that price again.

No, that's not how it works. Once you have shown how low you're willing to go for a promotion, you have already set consumer expectations that this is something which could be repeated at some point, so they would think twice about buying it for any higher price.

There is basically zero benefit to selling Medal of Honor for 1 dollar, especially since there is no reason to believe that someone who plays MoH will suddenly want to buy MoH 2. You could give me MoH for free for example, and I'll take it, but that doesn't mean I care at all about MoH2. In fact, once a sale is too low, it no longer because a sale which gets people on the fence to give the game a try, but rather a fire sale product where people buy only because the value has collapsed completely. See: Kane & Lynch 2 for $4.99.

shintoki said:
It took me a moment to figure out, we were talking about the new Medal of Honor. :lol

Yeah, lol. I think selling the original MoH for 1 buck would be a great way to get people interested in the franchise. Selling the new one for 1 buck? Suicide.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Drkirby said:
Or Supreme Commander 2 for $3.75. Remember, that game is only 9 months old. id still wants $10 for Quake.
Well, Quake is actually a good game.

*Snaps fingers*

But I am happy to see that Squeenix understands the Steam Sale, unlike a certain other Japanese company who refuses to sell anything for lower than 10$.

duckroll said:
No, that's not how it works. Once you have shown how low you're willing to go for a promotion, you have already set consumer expectations that this is something which could be repeated at some point, so they would think twice about buying it for any higher price.

There is basically zero benefit to selling Medal of Honor for 1 dollar, especially since there is no reason to believe that someone who plays MoH will suddenly want to buy MoH 2. You could give me MoH for free for example, and I'll take it, but that doesn't mean I care at all about MoH2. In fact, once a sale is too low, it no longer because a sale which gets people on the fence to give the game a try, but rather a fire sale product where people buy only because the value has collapsed completely. See: Kane & Lynch 2 for $4.99.
I'd also add, if you give them one for dirt cheap. Why would they want two? They may just decide to wait on 2 to drop, and play 1.

Good promotions have always been stuff like Free-Play weekends, or get an extra 10% pre-order. Maybe throw in the original with purchase of MoH II.

Or if the goal is just to maximize sales, K&L2 is a good example, where it is a flop. But seeing a title that was 60$ 2 months ago, go for 5$. It's creates that impulse buy. Suddenly a lot of gamers who didn't care about the game, own it!

duckroll

shintoki said:
But I am happy to see that Squeenix understands the Steam Sale, unlike a certain other Japanese company who refuses to sell anything for lower than 10$.

Hahahahaha. Capcom is just so awful. GFWL support + shitty prices + bad sales. They really have no idea what to do on PC. :(

Xamdou

So there is another steam sale tomorrow at 10:00pm Pacific time that shall have new titles for sale and on January 2nd it will have best of the week sales?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
duckroll said:
Hahahahaha. Capcom is just so awful. GFWL support + shitty prices + bad sales. They really have no idea what to do on PC. :(
And no Mega Man games. Come on Capcom, Give me Mega Man games, I am willing to give you $2.50-$5 per game over using an Emulator/playing them on my PS2.

And while I am shouting out Pipe Dream, come on Namco, put the next Ace Combat game on the PC! And 4 though 6 also!

So there is another steam sale tomorrow at 10:00pm Pacific time that shall have new titles for sale and on January 2nd it will have best of the week sales?
Yes to the first, most likely for the second. I will be shocked they didn't do repeat sales for the last day, but it isn't set in stone.

duckroll

Xamdou said:

That's the understanding, yes. But I don't think anyone knows for certain.

Cmagus

I've been holding out on Last Remnant i think I am gonna grab it before it goes back up in price I doubt if there is another it will on there.Question I guess how does it run on PC? Xbox 360 version ran kind of sluggish and is it demanding on the system?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Drkirby said:
And no Mega Man games. Come on Capcom, Give me Mega Man games, I am willing to give you $2.50-$5 per game over using an Emulator/playing them on my PS2.

And while I am shouting out Pipe Dream, come on Namco, put the next Ace Combat game on the PC! And 4 though 6 also!
Yes to both of these. So much.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Kind of amazed how well GTAIV is running on my machine. The graphics catch me off guard sometimes, in a very good way.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Cmagus said:
I've been holding out on Last Remnant i think I am gonna grab it before it goes back up in price I doubt if there is another it will on there.Question I guess how does it run on PC? Xbox 360 version ran kind of sluggish and is it demanding on the system?
Game runs much better on the PC. Don't know how demanding it is, but I don't think you need that great of a system to make it run better then the 360 version. I am hoping to get cracking on the game as soon as I finish my packing this weekend.

duckroll

Cmagus said:

The PC version runs amazingly well. Very optimized, one of the least demanding UE3 games. But don't buy it yet. If you don't see it on sale by tomorrow, then buy it at the current price. Trust me, it's not worth jumping the gun yet.

Wallach

Mutagenic said:
Kind of amazed how well GTAIV is running on my machine. The graphics catch me off guard sometimes, in a very good way.

It's a pretty good lookin' game on PC. Could run better but it's going to be fun to continually crank it higher as machines grow.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
duckroll said:
It's a shame, since their engine is probably the best damn PC-Console engine too. DMC4 runs marvelously.I can deal with the GFWL too, I don't like it. But it's doable.

But damn, they refuse to cross that 10$ threshold. DMC4 is 3 bloody years old. You can't charge 10$ for it when titles like; Crysis, Far Cry, Witcher, BC2, Just Cause 2, AP, and others are going for cheaper. Steam sales are about selling to the weak willed, impulse buyers where as long as it is a good deal. We'll buy it!

duckroll

shintoki said:
It's a shame, since their engine is probably the best damn PC-Console engine too. DMC4 runs marvelously.I can deal with the GFWL too, I don't like it. But it's doable.

But damn, they refuse to cross that 10$ threshold. DMC4 is 3 bloody years old. You can't charge 10$ for it when titles like; Crysis, Far Cry, Witcher, BC2, Just Cause 2, AP, and others are going for cheaper. Steam sales are about selling to the weak willed, impulse buyers where as long as it is a good deal. We'll buy it!

They actually had it at $4.99 when the sales for the day started. It was apparently too little or something, so it was bumped up to $9.99 within an hour or two. Really awful. :lol

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Skipped buying oblivion... thinking of buying the bethesda megapack, as I don't own any of the games in it. Thoughts?

Petrie

Banned
2 Questions:

1, with all the RTS games I've bought during this sale, is it worth adding Supreme Commander 2 to the list?

2, since things are likely winding down, which indie bundles do I need to be certain to take a look at before sales end?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
GaimeGuy said:
Skipped buying oblivion... thinking of buying the bethesda megapack, as I don't own any of the games in it. Thoughts?

If you're in no rush, I still think it's worth just waiting for Skyrim to come out.

Of course, I suppose you could end up waiting forever at that rate, since they'll always have a new game to add to that pack each year.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
duckroll said:
They actually had it at $4.99 when the sales for the day started. It was apparently too little or something, so it was bumped up to $9.99 within an hour or two. Really awful. :lol
The funny part was, if I recall it was like 2nd or 3rd on the top sellers chart when it was 5$. Then dropped to the bottom after it rose in price.

Petrie said:
2 Questions:

1, with all the RTS games I've bought during this sale, is it worth adding Supreme Commander 2 to the list?

2, since things are likely winding down, which indie bundles do I need to be certain to take a look at before sales end?
SC2 has a demo, and it's been mentioned many times. No it's not worth it. When people joke around how they won't play it, even if they were paid. SC2 is at the top of that list.

Indie Bundles, Heavy Hitter is a must have. It's 20$, but each title is fantastic and it covers most genres. The other bundles are more specific, each indicated by the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom