• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash88

Banned
Steam said:
Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

This game is no longer able to be purchased as a gift through Steam.

You need the Steam base game in order for the DLC to work.

Too many people were purching the gift for people that owned the retail copy of the game.
People are stupid. Also this concerns BFBC2: Vietnam.

Also I bought STALKER Bundle and Farcry 2. I can overlook flaws in games, and GAF likes to exaggerate sometimes. :lol

Blizzard said:

Windows 7 64bit.

I'm talking specifically about Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2.

I haven't finished downloading the others but dark forces 1 works just fine.

Won't even boot. Hard to tell what's wrong with it when it just does that.

Smash88 said:
People are stupid.

Also I bought STALKER Bundle and Farcry 2. I can overlook flaws in games, and GAF likes to exaggerate sometimes. :lol

... so Valve is complaining that people are buying games on sale for their friends or am I missing something? If so, I don't even know what to say.

vocab

DSN2K said:
just got the Jedi Knight Pack, never played the Academy game...does it have a decent single Player ? II was great back in the day.

Yes, Jedi Academy is great. It's not as good as Outcast, but still an overall good game.

vocab

SteelAttack said:
Are the Jedi Knight games supposed to be played in chronological order?

Nah not really. I played Outcast first, and the only thing I missed out on was the main characters previous adventures, and they aren't directly related to the story of outcast.

Dambrosi

Banned
Stitch said:
being cheap doesn't make it good
Sorry, I'm just perplexed by the polarized opinions on the game in this thread, especially given that it comes with all the DLC for such a price.

How about you guys who don't have it yet just buy it and form your own opinion?
Inb4 "B-but then I'd actually have to PLAY it..."

vocab said:
Nah not really. I played Outcast first, and the only thing I missed out on was the main characters previous adventures, and they aren't directly related to the story of outcast.
Sweet, thanks. Which one would be the best of all 5? I kind of want to save the best for last.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ceebs said:
Far Cry still looks pretty good if you ask me

(From the Art Shot Thread)
5275163919_c5b2ae8a05_b.jpg
That shot alone makes me want to re-experience Far Cry :lol. Beautiful!

LovingSteam said:
... so Valve is complaining that people are buying games on sale for their friends or am I missing something? If so, I don't even know what to say.

Sounds like people were gifting BFBC2:Vietnam to friends who owned the retail copy and not the Steam copy.

Also, nice Steam icon. I was just having a little fun though. You didnt have to replace it today.

Now that I decided to skip on the square pack I figured it'd be okay to buy some games I would've missed out on. I'm a little annoyed that I won't get Mafia II for twelve dollars, but I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities down the road.

Stuff for today
Mafia
CivCity: Rome
Toki Tori
FarCry 2
Supreme Commander 2
Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle
Hitman Collection

So if something doesn't go up as a daily in the next batch (in 14 hours), it's a safe bet that it won't, right? The day after that should be the last one, which is certainly a recap day.

AshMcCool

I played the second far cry for quiet some time and really liked it. I gotta admit, though, I'm not a shooter nut. I mean, I love the half-life series, and I can appreciate smart level design in any kind of game, but I can't tell great shooter mechanics from mediocre ones. Maybe thats why I never appreciated the original far cry and crysis as some people do.

(Also: Why are you overwhelmed with all this techniques in crysis right from the get go. Why not add them one by one. And the game does almost nothing to teach you this abilities. Whats up with the learning curve in this game, CryTek?)

Carm

SonOfABeep said:
Windows 7 64bit.

I just booted up Dark Forces 2. Besides trying to figure out how to run it in a window, it seems to run fine. Windows 7 64bit EVGA 460GTX 1gb and 4gb of ram currently. It even has widescreen resolutions o_O, but I'd rather run it smaller in a window.

JDS 1977

Banned
SolarPowered said:
Now that I decided to skip on the square pack I figured it'd be okay to buy some games I would've missed out on. I'm a little annoyed that I won't get Mafia II for twelve dollars, but I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities down the road.

Stuff for today
Mafia
CivCity: Rome
Toki Tori
FarCry 2
Supreme Commander 2
Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle
Hitman Collection

Isn't Mafia 2 still like $12.50 on Amazon DD? That key activates on Steam I believe.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm hoping for Front Mission Evolved (come on $5 SE, game is just as bomb as K&L2!), Mafia 1 and Tomb Raider Underworld for tomorrow. Maybe Lost Planet 2 again but this time at normal people prices for the $5 it's worth. Oh and Deathspank part #2 since only part #1 went on sale (will still pick it up at 33% off at the end of the sale if it doesn't though).

gotee12

Bebpo said:
I'm hoping for Front Mission Evolved (come on $5 SE, game is just as bomb as K&L2!),
Just when I thought that I was safe against the (possibly) last day of new deals tomorrow, you go and drop the Front Mission bomb...

JDS 1977 said:
I must've misunderstood. I thought you were trying to snag it on sale and use it on Steam.
I do and I have the funds, but that doesn't mean that I haven't spent too much money already. No man or woman needs to buy more than forty games in a single month you see...

:lol
LovingSteam said:
Ithink he hates being shown some crack when he is trying to kick the habbit.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

JDS 1977

Banned
Stalker just pisses me off too much. I never know exactly what's going on and I get shot to hell by a bunch of guys from out of nowhere a lot.

I think I've played like 2-3 hours in the past year and I don't think it's for me. It's too loosely structured for me I think.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SonOfABeep said:
Windows 7 64bit.

You should have specified that it was that game in the first post.

Jedi Knight 2 and Academy are easily worth 5$ and are easy to "modernize" but you scared people away.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Bebpo said:
I'm hoping for Front Mission Evolved (come on $5 SE, game is just as bomb as K&L2!), Mafia 1 and Tomb Raider Underworld for tomorrow. Maybe Lost Planet 2 again but this time at normal people prices for the $5 it's worth. Oh and Deathspank part #2 since only part #1 went on sale (will still pick it up at 33% off at the end of the sale if it doesn't though).
It's still a $50 game, so it'll be $12.50 at 75% off. There's not much point in waiting because Amazon is currently selling it for $12.86 with free shipping and it's a Steamworks game.

Weenerz

Banned
I'm such an asshole, I bought Far Cry 2 today, and then bought the first one to complete the set. After buying the first game for $7.50 and the second for $4.99, I saw the deal to get both for $7.50, FUCK!

R2D4

Banned
During this sale I got..

Borderlands
Darksiders
Dead Space
Kings Bounty
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Metro 2033
Stalker COP
Mount and Blade
Mount and Blade Warband
Stalker SOC
Stalker Clear Sky
Torchlight
The Witcher

Hopefully enough to last until next years sale.

R2D4 said:
During this sale I got..

Borderlands
Darksiders
Dead Space
Kings Bounty
Metro 2033
Stalker COP
Stalker SOC
Stalker Clear Sky
Torchlight
The Witcher

Eh, you'll be ready when Gabe unleashes his new years midweek deal.

Nabs

R2D4 said:
During this sale I got..

Borderlands
Darksiders
Dead Space
Kings Bounty
Metro 2033
Stalker COP
Mount and Blade
Mount and Blade Warband
Stalker SOC
Stalker Clear Sky
Torchlight
The Witcher

Summer Sale. I bought more from that than last years Holiday Sale.

Smash88

Banned
My purchases thus far:

AvP
Bully
Battlefield Bad Company 2
The Ball
Greed Corp.
Just Cause 2 DLC
Mass Effect 2
Plants vs Zombies
Recettear
Rush
Super Meat Boy
STALKER: CoP
Swords & Soldiers
The Witcher
Crysis Complete Edition
FarCry 2
Grand Theft Auto Complete Edition

18 games = approx $105

That's a great killing so far. Thank god I kept a tad more in reserve. After this I'm done for a long while. Greatest plan of action was saving money months in advance little by little to be ready for this sale.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
AnkhWeasel said:
So if something doesn't go up as a daily in the next batch (in 14 hours), it's a safe bet that it won't, right? The day after that should be the last one, which is certainly a recap day.
There is a chance that they may slip a new deal into Recap day. I hope they recap some first week stuff to, I changed my mind!

Also, who still doesn't own TF2? BUY IT! Even if you have the Console version of the Orange Box.

kamspy

Major Steam issue here.

Barely any games will launch.

The little box that says Preparing to launch game... pops up. My avatar gets the green border for a second and then boom. nothing.

Deleted clientregistry.blob and restarted steam.

This is happening after transferring all my Steam Apps to a new installation. For some reason it never had to update all the games.

A couple games work. I got lara croft and painkiller working. that is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom