• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebpo

Banned
Smash88 said:
There is a command line to take off that VRAM limiter.

:O

I should look into this. Although if you're running 1gig of VRAM textures on a 512 card, isn't it going overload and crash? Or is there a way to offload some of that VRAM textures to your normal ram? I've never understood how VRAM works.

IceMarker

Smash88 said:
You're approaching it all wrong. Also make sure you download STALKER Complete 2009. It's like a much tougher, more serious Fallout 3, with tad bit of realism for the guns/equipment. It is a tough game, but a good one if you are willing to put the effort in it.
THIS x 1000

G_Berry

Banned
Labombadog said:
Dont approach this game like a FPS. Treat this game as if it was a survival/adventure/rpg shooter. You will get owned if you play reckless. It's an amazing game if you give it the chance.

QFT

Anyone else here feel as though this year's Steam holiday sale isn't as good as last year's? I haven't spent a dime on the holiday sale so far despite checking everyday religiously. I suppose it's a good thing seeing as how 2011 has an epic release list (at least for me)

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Why the hell is TF2 running slower than Crysis on OMFG settings? :(

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Bufbaf said:
Why the hell is TF2 running slower than Crysis on OMFG settings? :(
Because it's become ridiculously bloated and is a major CPU hog. Someone said that the new TF2 beta runs better which is interesting.

This is somewhat off-topic but I bought Kane and Lynch: Dead Man but the disc is broken and Zellers are not exchanging it... :/

Is there any way to redeem the game using serial key? I tried GFW Marketplace using "redeem code" section but it doesn't redeem the game keys.

Or am I stuck with downloading an ISO and using my serial key?

IrishNinja

Volcynika said:
Mmmm, new year, new Steam sales, but there's one thing I can count on.

Bloodlines won't be a part of it.
:lol

wait...seriously? what region are you? cause i dont know if you've payed attention to this thread when they put up the new sales, but that game's been on sale almost every day now. today's was the best!

unless you had other steam games, apparently
:lol

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
shagg_187 said:
This is somewhat off-topic but I bought Kane and Lynch: Dead Man but the disc is broken and Zellers are not exchanging it... :/

Is there any way to redeem the game using serial key? I tried GFW Marketplace using "redeem code" section but it doesn't redeem the game keys.

Or am I stuck with downloading an ISO and using my serial key?

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

edit: Oh, the first one? No, that's not redeemable :(

Suairyu

Banned
So that Jedi pack... how well do these games stand up these days? I remember enjoying Outcast and what little of Academy I played, but I never had a chance to experience any of the earlier titles.

I played all JK games up to and including Outcast, but never played Academy (because it was a non-Kyle game..) but is Academy worth playing after all these years?

Suairyu

Banned
tahrikmili said:
I played all JK games up to and including Outcast, but never played Academy (because it was a non-Kyle game..) but is Academy worth playing after all these years?
It was the first game to properly scratch the "I'm a jedi with a lightsaber!!!" itch. A bit clumsy and at the time the Quake 3 engine was getting creaky (on the plus side, everyone could run the game) but I remember having fun during my time with it.

Suairyu said:
So that Jedi pack... how well do these games stand up these days? I remember enjoying Outcast and what little of Academy I played, but I never had a chance to experience any of the earlier titles.

Dark Forces holds up well, as it was one of the last sprite-based FPS titles, whereas Dark Forces II (and the Mysteries of the Sith expansion) was an early polygonal-based FPS, and as such looks quite ugly by today's standards - the gameplay is what counts though, and although both titles are extremely linear and do little to deviate from the get keys/unlock doors format of early FPS games, they're fun enough as simple blasters, set to the fantastic Star Wars score and with some epic-sized levels that show a good attention to detail. Well worth a play-through in my opinion.

tahrikmili said:

Definitely - it's not as good as Outcast, story-wise, but it's less linear (as missions can be completed in any order), and the customisation the game offers to your character is pretty deep. Personally, it's my favourite Jedi Knight game, and the multiplayer was fantastic for the time.

Speaking of Star Wars games, is there anywhere I can buy a digital download of Shadows of the Empire? I loved that game, but haven't played it since the N64 days.

Suairyu said:
They're solid Doom clones at the very least.

How is it possible that there is still no MOD for Far Cry 2 that changes the enemy/checkpoint respawn times? If they were less frequent, or nonexistant, I'd have lovingly bought the game.. How come nobody made a mod for this? :(

NIN90

Petrie said:
Steam manages updates for me, keeps me posted on new happenings, and generally just provides me with a better experience.

It isn't simply a mouse click.

Oh come on it fucking is just a simple mouse click. :lol
As if applying a patch is such a huge fucking deal.

Suairyu

Banned
Alright got the Jedi Pack. Now, about Dark Forces - is there any way I can emulate a decent soundcard to make the midi music sound as good as it can? I assume right now it's using Windows' default sound synth and it sounds quite rubbish for it.

Ledsen

I'll say it again in case anyone missed it: Get GOTY 2008 Far Cry 2, people! If you love huge, amazingly gorgeous environments, incredible atmosphere and free-form sandbox FPS gameplay, you'll love this game.

Oh what to do. A colleague have previously recommended the Hitman games, and I´m looking at Blood Money now. The money is of course nothing to think about, but I can´t decide whether or not I actually want to add to the backlog.

I already have Deus Ex, Arma: Operation Arrowhead, Company of Heroes + Opposing Fronts, The Witcher and Thief: Deadly Shadows as "I might as well own them" games.

Is Blood Money really that good?

iddqd

Any good MODS out there for Farcry2?
The enemies do shoot me through the thickest leaf crap in Africa..

AND
is downloading slow for anyone else in Canada (Toronto area)?
Its creeping with nothing at the moment while the rest of the internet land is fine.

happy new year!

Ledsen

CecilRousso said:
Oh what to do. A colleague have previously recommended the Hitman games, and I´m looking at Blood Money now. The money is of course nothing to think about, but I can´t decide whether or not I actually want to add to the backlog.

I already have Deus Ex, Arma: Operation Arrowhead, Company of Heroes + Opposing Fronts, The Witcher and Thief: Deadly Shadows as "I might as well own them" games.

Just do it the way I do. Make a category called "maybe I'll play it someday" and put all those cheap "I've heard it's good"-games in there :)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
CecilRousso said:

I'm not really a gigantic fan of the Hitman series, but the girl is and she enjoyed Blood Money after finishing it over a day or so while I thought it was ho hum and never finished it. Thing is she likes the Hitman series so sometimes it's really up to personal preference.

spats

The first Hitman was my favourite game ever when it came out... I'm tempted to pick it up but don't know how it holds up now. Has anyone played it recently - did it age well?

NIN90

CecilRousso said:

It's a very unique series for what it's worth so it won't hurt to own atleast one title.

spats said:
The first Hitman was my favourite game ever when it came out... I'm tempted to pick it up but don't know how it holds up now. Has anyone played it recently - did it age well?

You may wanna try Hitman: Contracts as it is kind of a remake of Hitman 1.

FireFly

ninj4junpei said:
I started up S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, and it totally flew over my head. I made it to the first encounter with enemies and died horribly. :\ I'm glad that I only payed $5.
I think that's how every does in that mission: you only have a crappy pistol, after all. Keep playing and it gets easier (you get decent weapons, for one thing). It still can be brutally hard at times, though.

MysticX

hlhbk said:
To bad GTA 4 is STILL horribly optimised and still runs like crap after my recent computer rebuild. My specs are:

Intel Core I7 950 3.0 GHZ
ATI Radeon 5850
OCZ 4 GB PC 1600 RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Any guides to run this game smoothly with the graphic options turned up? There is no reason with my specs I should be getting bad performance.

I had the exact same problem with my setup, until I got Cooler Master V8, it started running smoothly.

Ledsen

DarthWufei said:
I really think I'm gonna flip a coin on purchasing the Far Cry pack. GAF has not been very helpful with this decision, lol.

BUY IT NOW OR I WILL COME TO YOUR HOUSE
AND BUY IT FOR YOU

MysticX said:
If I buy retail Dragon Age, can I then buy the xpansion on Steam and play?

No. You will not be able to buy an expansion to a game that you don´t already have tied to your Steam account.

And why would you want to?

tahrikmili said:
How is it possible that there is still no MOD for Far Cry 2 that changes the enemy/checkpoint respawn times? If they were less frequent, or nonexistant, I'd have lovingly bought the game.. How come nobody made a mod for this? :(

It's still like that? I thought the Fortune's Pack had some fixes for that kind of thing. I bought the thing (even double-dipped for this reason, im about 3 hours in on 360) so I'd really like to know this, too.

Marc :D

Neo Member
Labombadog said:
Dont approach this game like a FPS. Treat this game as if it was a survival/adventure/rpg shooter. You will get owned if you play reckless. It's an amazing game if you give it the chance.

I bought it as well.. Never thought I would like it or get into it but its really great so far. I've reached the junk yard area and got my first MP5 and AK74u :D

Thanks for the recommendation gaf.

Just wanted to add that anytime I play stalker the fan on my 4870 keeps speeding up lol.

It doesn't look graphically intensive, maybe its the draw distance.

Using Complete mod 2009 (2012).

Suairyu

Banned
Just got Roland MT-32 emulation up and running. Though not quite as good as the actual hardware, the jump in quality in the music in Dark Forces is immense. No more Soundblaster 16 shiteness!

Now if I can figure out how to get keyboard input to work with Dark Forces I'll be set to get past the name entry screen and actually play the damn thing...

UrbanRats

How does Jedi Academy hold up? I played it on Xbox ages ago, kinda liked it, not as Outcast though.

Is the modding on the game relevant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom