• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Petrie said:
2 Questions:

1, with all the RTS games I've bought during this sale, is it worth adding Supreme Commander 2 to the list?

2, since things are likely winding down, which indie bundles do I need to be certain to take a look at before sales end?
I know this wont help but i really think that each Indie bundle is worth it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
GaimeGuy said:
Skipped buying oblivion... thinking of buying the bethesda megapack, as I don't own any of the games in it. Thoughts?
If you haven't bought much this sale and don't already have a major back log (Note this part), It sounds like a good plan. But for me, $70 is to much to lay down for a bunch of really long games in the same niche. If it was $40 or $50, I would have gotten it. I was really hoping one Bethesda game would be 75% off.

For the Indy Bundle, I liked the Future pack, plus it had stuff I didn't own from other bundles (Bought everyone during the Black Friday Sales). The 2D and Rythem ones look nice, but I already own most of the games in them.

Petrie

Banned
LovingSteam said:
I know this wont help but i really think that each Indie bundle is worth it.

It's funny because I'd have bought almost all of them were I given gift copies of the spares. Their loss.

Jedi Knight works now - I dunno what happened but it seemed like steam was re-downloading the game and then it worked. A little wierd with resolutions and stuff but otherwise good.

The level designs are so weird in that game. So vertical and huge and open.

commissar

Mutagenic said:
Kind of amazed how well GTAIV is running on my machine. The graphics catch me off guard sometimes, in a very good way.
Liberty City is hands down the most impressive thing so far this gen. The detail still blows my mind.

also I went and bought Far Cry 2 again because it's $5 and on steam. what have I become D:

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
SonOfABeep said:
The level designs are so weird in that game. So vertical and huge and open.
You mean they have actual level design. Not linear, corridors to follow

:p

You'll get use to the older school of design again. Quite a lot of room to explore around, without anyone holding your hand on what to do next. The joys of having to find the switch to open the door! :lol

Artofwar420

What do you guys think?

1671338-shoppingcart.png

x3sphere

commissar said:
Liberty City is hands down the most impressive thing so far this gen. The detail still blows my mind.

Indeed, just took a really nice shot:

1a664a2bbd6fd074de00318e3a4df6dc4d887351.jpg

People who bash it for not being 'optimized' don't know what they're talking about.

I'm regretting not buying Darksiders for $10 even though I probably wouldn't get around to playing it until the Summer sale which is why I held off.

I try to be rational GAF, but Steam won't let me. I feel like I'm mourning the deal :lol

Artofwar420 said:
What do you guys think?

1671338-shoppingcart.png
Considering you're getting dozens of hours (or hundreds, depending on whether you get hooked on Anno or not) of quality gaming for half the price of one measly retail console game, I'd say that's not a bad way to spend 27 bucks.

Lkr

x3sphere said:

http://i.picpar.com/1a664a2bbd6fd074de00318e3a4df6dc4d887351.jpg[/MG]

People who bash it for not being 'optimized' don't know what they're talking about.[/QUOTE]
what are your specs and what settings?

Artofwar420 said:
What do you guys think?

1671338-shoppingcart.png
I dont have DOD, but I do got 1701 A.D (anno) and its amazing. Also, the STALKER combo is quite a deal and those two are one of my favorite games this generation. Do buy!

MBison

How are the Command and Conquer games? $27 for all of them, not a bad price for all of that. Just curious if the single player is worth the effort.

shintoki said:
You mean they have actual level design. Not linear, corridors to follow

:p

You'll get use to the older school of design again. Quite a lot of room to explore around, without anyone holding your hand on what to do next. The joys of having to find the switch to open the door! :lol

Well, it's still very linear. And you can practically run past every enemy in the game to the key/switch/door you need to get to.

I just remember being really impressed at the time compared to quake how big the environments were in that game.

Now they just look like huge vast plains of repeated, smeary textures, but at the time it was something.

x3sphere said:

1a664a2bbd6fd074de00318e3a4df6dc4d887351.jpg

People who bash it for not being 'optimized' don't know what they're talking about.

The only thing holding me back is my 9800GT. Otherwise, the game runs just fine.

Callibretto said:
help, I can't play Hitman 2. the game plays in slow motion, and cutscene is also super slow that I am forced to skip those. hell, even the eidos logo at the start of the game run really really slow. I even thought the game crash because there's a long period of black screen

also, anyway to make it proper widescreen?

anyone? help, please?

darthbob

x3sphere said:

What helped me run the game better, was a quad core CPU. Coming from an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ S939 to a Phenom II X4 955 helped immensely.

I just got a GTX470 and the extra VRAM helps a lot too.

Bebpo

Banned
BloodySinner said:
The only thing holding me back is my 9800GT. Otherwise, the game runs just fine.

Well, it annoys me that I can play Crysis, Just Cause 2, and every modern graphical wonder at max PC settings on my 512mb ram card (maybe not at 60fps, but with fiddling, at playable fps), yet GTAIV/Episodes force me to play the game looking like an X360 version.

After the latest patch I get perfectly fine framerate, but not being able to set the textures past medium, the shadows past high, not having any AA options so the game is incredibly jaggy = visually the game looks like a crappy unoptimized console port.

Now if I had an amazing spec card and could use all the highest settings for textures/shadow/etc... and had an ATI card so I could force some type of AA or a super computer that can supersample it to get rid of the jaggies, then yeah GTAIV would be one of the best looking games ever.

But I can't do that stuff, so I'm stuck with a meh looking game while I'm playing tons of other incredible graphical showcases on the same PC setup. So yeah, I think it's fair to bash the performance of the PC version somewhat.

I think GTAIV PC is a gorgeous game/engine. But I also think that like Shattered Horizon it's a very poorly optimized one. It'll definitely shine over the years to come like Crysis does as people are playing it maxed out @ 60fps these days so many years later.

Codeblue

So I went into this sale looking for TF2 and resisting everything else.

I bought so much stuff that I am now deciding against TF2, because if I get it now, I'll never get to anything else.

This sale has been very backwards for me.

Bebpo

Banned
I really hope they do a Read Dead Redemption PC version (and that it's a little better optimized with proper AA options), because that would probably be amazing on high-spec machines and hold up over the years as well.

Helmholtz

Codeblue said:

I bought so much stuff that I am now deciding against TF2, because if I get it now, I'll never get to anything else.

Buy it bro. You can always just install it later.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Codeblue said:

Buy it!

kennah said:
I put 7$ in my steam wallet and now I'm pretty sure there'll be nothing I want for the rest of the sale :(
Last day of the sale should be a "best of" extravaganza. New deals tomorrow as well. Don't give up hope!

kennah

But there's been nothing for me for the last week! I will still hope, maybe I'll browse through and see if anything not on special tickles my fancy.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
kennah said:
But there's been nothing for me for the last week! I will still hope, maybe I'll browse through and see if anything not on special tickles my fancy.
Just buy an Indy pack.

Nabs

Codeblue said:

get tf2. if it's your first source game, you'll get access to a bunch of great source mods like goldeneye and the hidden.

Smash88

Banned
kennah said:

If there really isn't anything by the last date (and you feel generous), you should make a contest like last year where you made us all make funny pics of Mass Effect 1. Good times. :D

kennah

I was sad that there wasn't the same spirit as last year. But, blame the economy and my student loans. I had wanted to do another contest for Mass Effect 2, but it being 10$ and me being super broke this year, didn't happen. I really regret it.

Smash88

Banned
kennah said:
I was sad that there wasn't the same spirit as last year. But, blame the economy and my student loans. I had wanted to do another contest for Mass Effect 2, but it being 10$ and me being super broke this year, didn't happen. I really regret it.

Yeah, I kinda wished ME2 was cheaper, but I got it... AND HOLY SHIT IT IS AMAZING!

I think rough times have hit everyone on GAF, people still had spirit it was in them, just not in their wallets. Despite that I still managed to gift some games to my friends as a Christmas present. Wish I had the income to do that and give gifts on GAF, but I'm a college student with no job, but I try my best to get by, and these steam sales aren't helping.

kennah

Know what's even better than being a college student with no job? Being a fresh graduate with no job and a 9 month old.

But yeah, Mass Effect 2 is awesome. I've played through it once on the 360, much to my wife's disappointment. It was pretty fun playing late at night, baby sleeping in my arms, cradling him and the 360 controller at the same time.

Sysgen

Smash88 said:
Yeah, I kinda wished ME2 was cheaper, but I got it... AND HOLY SHIT IT IS AMAZING!

I think rough times have hit everyone on GAF, people still had spirit it was in them, just not in their wallets. Despite that I still managed to gift some games to my friends as a Christmas present. Wish I had the income to do that and give gifts on GAF, but I'm a college student with no job, but I try my best to get by, and these steam sales aren't helping.

It's 7.98 on gamersgate. DD exists outside of Steam. I see people doing this all the time. Impulse, Gamersgate, Direct2Drive, Amazon. Comparison shop!

Bebpo said:
I think GTAIV PC is a gorgeous game/engine. But I also think that like Shattered Horizon it's a very poorly optimized one. It'll definitely shine over the years to come like Crysis does as people are playing it maxed out @ 60fps these days so many years later.
What's your CPU? I think it's just a much more CPU-intensive game than most people expect. There is a ton more AI/animation/physics going on constantly in GTA IV than most games have in anything but the biggest firefights. So in that sense I kind of give it a pass.

But I think it also does some unconventional stuff with using the CPU to handle part of the graphics rendering (a workaround for consoles that doesn't translate well to the PC), which probably contributes a lot to the lousy performance on dual-core CPUs. So I'm sure they could squeeze some better performance out of it.

I really hope they do a Read Dead Redemption PC version (and that it's a little better optimized with proper AA options), because that would probably be amazing on high-spec machines and hold up over the years as well.
YES. I would double dip in a heartbeat.

Papa

Banned
Bought Dawn of Discovery today. Didn't realise it was $10 cheaper on the US store otherwise I would've bugged someone to gift me. Oh well, it's still a damn awesome game and I don't regret paying $25 for it. It's the city builder I was looking for... sogood.gif :D

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Can someone PM me the link to the awesome Torchlight mod posted in this thread when it was on sale a few days ago? I misplaced the site. =/

Recon

Banned
Sysgen said:
It's 7.98 on gamersgate. DD exists outside of Steam. I see people doing this all the time. Impulse, Gamersgate, Direct2Drive, Amazon. Comparison shop!

I comparison shop for physical products, but for Digital Games, i want everything in one nice account.

Nabs

ReconYoda said:
I comparison shop for physical products, but for Digital Games, i want everything in one nice account.

Yeah, fuck having my games scattered all over the place. I like to delete games once I'm done with 'em, and having them all in my Steam client is very helpful.

Petrie

Banned
Sysgen said:

Uniformity is better. I don't care if I can add them on Steam, I want the full support for updates and everything else, without the hassle of using tons of different services.

I started up S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, and it totally flew over my head. I made it to the first encounter with enemies and died horribly. :\ I'm glad that I only payed $5.

Petrie said:
Uniformity is better. I don't care if I can add them on Steam, I want the full support for updates and everything else, without the hassle of using tons of different services.
The only advantage to the Steam version over D2D or GG is easy install from the client as opposed to a website (everything else can still be done by adding a Steam shortcut).

Interestingly, it seems Steam gives us a way to measure exactly how money the effort of an additional mouse click is worth to users.

Petrie

Banned
faceless007 said:
The only advantage to the Steam version over D2D or GG is easy install from the client as opposed to a website (everything else can still be done by adding a Steam shortcut).

Interestingly, it seems Steam gives us a way to measure exactly how money the effort of an additional mouse click is worth to users.

Steam manages updates for me, keeps me posted on new happenings, and generally just provides me with a better experience.

It isn't simply a mouse click.

Bebpo

Banned
I ended up dipping on Dawn of Discovery w/Venice, Sup Com 2, Far Cry 2 and Empire/Napoleon pack to celebrate the new year with some varied gameplay. I know Empire apparently has busted AI that makes the game a joke and the gameplay is dumbed down and streamlined from past entries, but since I'm new to the Total War genre and I don't want to spend a lot of time actually learning how to play and getting good at it, I think I'll still enjoy it :lol I'm a big history lover (almost went in that career direction), so I mainly just want to play it to enjoy the historical experience with pretty graphics and easy gameplay :) Skipped out on all the C&C games because I don't like RTS gameplay, and I just play them for the story so probably would just be a waste of money for me. Sup Com 2 might actually be more my style since I don't have to do all the micro-management hassle of RTS gameplay and I can just build giant robots and watch things blow up!

rohlfinator said:
What's your CPU? I think it's just a much more CPU-intensive game than most people expect. There is a ton more AI/animation/physics going on constantly in GTA IV than most games have in anything but the biggest firefights. So in that sense I kind of give it a pass.

But I think it also does some unconventional stuff with using the CPU to handle part of the graphics rendering (a workaround for consoles that doesn't translate well to the PC), which probably contributes a lot to the lousy performance on dual-core CPUs. So I'm sure they could squeeze some better performance out of it.

My cpu is fine, i7 920 @ 3.8ghz. My gpu (512mb 9800GTX+ overclocked TXT Black Label, which is essentially a 260 with 1/2 the ram) is the bottleneck for the game since I can't access the good textures and effects.

ninj4junpei said:
I started up S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, and it totally flew over my head. I made it to the first encounter with enemies and died horribly. :\ I'm glad that I only payed $5.
Dont approach this game like a FPS. Treat this game as if it was a survival/adventure/rpg shooter. You will get owned if you play reckless. It's an amazing game if you give it the chance.

Smash88

Banned
kennah said:
Know what's even better than being a college student with no job? Being a fresh graduate with no job and a 9 month old.

But yeah, Mass Effect 2 is awesome. I've played through it once on the 360, much to my wife's disappointment. It was pretty fun playing late at night, baby sleeping in my arms, cradling him and the 360 controller at the same time.

Damn dude, you win. :lol

Bebpo said:
My cpu is fine, i7 920 @ 3.8ghz. My gpu (512mb 9800GTX+ overclocked TXT Black Label, which is essentially a 260 with 1/2 the ram) is the bottleneck for the game since I can't access the good textures and effects.

There is a command line to take off that VRAM limiter.

ninj4junpei said:

You're approaching it all wrong. Also make sure you download STALKER Complete 2009. It's like a much tougher, more serious Fallout 3, with tad bit of realism for the guns/equipment. It is a tough game, but a good one if you are willing to put the effort in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom