• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
markot said:
Its available for the 360 too so I assume it would have controller support >.<

Just tried it out - it doesn't x_x

Oh well, I can map the controls to the pad - but it never feels as smooth as native controller support.

1-D_FTW

Just added Everyday Genius and Grand Ages Rome. Anymore suggestions for cheap games I don't need and might never play?

EDIT: God, I'm almost tempted to double tip of Sid Meier's Railroads so I'll have it in Steam. Maybe this would force me to actually play it (got it cheap on Target clearance). And his Pirates games. Sold that off, but would need to consider another playthrough at 2.50.

I wish there was a spreadsheet like previous sales instead of that disorganized website. I feel I'm missing some gems here.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Scalpel Knight said:
DON'T BUY THE RUNAWAY GAMES YOU HAVE ALREADY SPENT 200 DOLLARS AND IT'S NOT LIKE YOU'LL PLAY ANYTHING EVER ANYWAY

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF, MAN
Yeah I guess I'll pass, maybe they'll put the third game up and do a trilogy pack sale next year...

TY! :D

Toma said:
Anyone else interested in a Combo CivCity/Grand Ages OT? (as well as hinting a few other people to these games)
We could discuss some hints or strategies there. But I am not going to write it up with only me and SpacePirateRidley interested :lol

Good Choices btw. And you'll be pleasantly surprised by Delve Deeper. Another overlooked gem in the store.

Probably going to get also Grand Ages with expansion when the recap offers of today hit. It would be awesome to have an official thread for this type of games (city simulator games), becuase I really love them.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
jercruz said:
thanks for the tip. bought children now, civcity unavailable in aussie :(

If you want, you can always ask some other fellow gaffers to help you out by gifting from their region and paypaling it back. Best way is to ask in the Steam thread of equal glob distribution (or something like that) or directly in the CivCity thread. Maybe someone is kind enough to help you out.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Probably going to get also Grand Ages with expansion when the recap offers of today hit. It would be awesome to have an official thread for this type of games (city simulator games), becuase I really love them.

Since you missed it on the last page :D
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25189422

scitek

Fuuuck, I'm having so much fun with NFS: Hot Pursuit, and half of it is from the camera hack I found. I've been FRAPSing all kinds of awesome angles. What a fucking beastly engine that game runs in.

IrishNinja

...do old-school Fallout 1 & 2 ever go on sale? i know they're not bethesda, i was just kinda hoping between 3 GOTY & New Vegas hype, they might drop them down to at least the $5 or whatever it it is on GOG.

Dascu

storafötter said:
I am so uncertain if I want to buy Zeno Clash or not. Is there more to it than the artstyle, and fighting? and how long does it take to complete it.
It's short (5 hours or so?) and there's not a lot of replay value.

That said, I think it's one of the better and more creative stories in gaming. They really nail the bizarre fairytale atmosphere. The combat is original and very "visceral". I personally love the game and you can't really go wrong at such a low price.

Manik

Hoping the NWN bundle pops back up this evening. Kinda regret not jumping on it first time now.

*crosses fingers and toes*

*and eyes*

Manik said:
Hoping the NWN bundle pops back up this evening. Kinda regret not jumping on it first time now.

*crosses fingers and toes*

*and eyes*

Same.. And maybe a better deal on Football Manager 2011.. You never know..

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vocab said:
Gotta love steam support.

Me:

Hi, I bought the Half Life anthology today, and did not receive the additional discount for owning L4D1 and L4D2. My credit card was charged 3.74, when it should of been $2.24.

Is there anyway I can be compensated?

Thanks.

Steam:

Hello Tom,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Unfortunately, this discount only applies if the titles were purchased through Steam.

If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

smh. I bet they are gonna spin around saying sorry we can't help you because you bought it from our website instead of the steam client. I love steam, but their support is flat out garbage.
You know, I would feel bad for you if you were bitching about more than 2$ on a series you really should already own. But really, continue bitching, we want to hear all about how that 1.50 could have bought you food for the week or something.

szaromir

Banned
Stallion Free said:
You know, I would feel bad for you if you were bitching about more than 2$ on a series you really should already own. But really, continue bitching, we want to hear all about how that 1.50 could have bought you food for the week or something.
What a load of crap. Valve didn't inform that L4D has to be purchased through Steam, so they should give these people the partial refund. Also, no one should own Half-Life (unless he had pirated it).

Zomba13

Should I get Divinity II?
It looks really cool and benzaie really liked it and made it sound cool in his top 5 list thing.
I'm juts not sure about spending £15 on it when the best game I bought during the sale time was probably VVVVVV and that was like £1.99 or something.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Zomba13 said:
Should I get Divinity II?
It looks really cool and benzaie really liked it and made it sound cool in his top 5 list thing.
I'm juts not sure about spending £15 on it when the best game I bought during the sale time was probably VVVVVV and that was like £1.99 or something.

Its a great game and I want it too. But I am waiting. It will be cheaper down the road and I just bought 50 games. Should be enough for a while.

szaromir said:
Also, no one should own Half-Life (unless he had pirated it).

I must be misunderstanding you here. HL came with damn near every ATI video card sold in the early part of the decade and the code is redeemable on Steam. Not to mention I believe the original CD keys are redeemable too.

szaromir

Banned
gregor7777 said:
I must be misunderstanding you here. HL came with damn near every ATI video card sold in the early part of the decade and the code is redeemable on Steam. Not to mention I believe the original CD keys are redeemable too.
Maybe vocab never played Half-Life games?

Toma

Stallion Free said:
Inexcusable and not something you should openly admit.
Offtopic:
I still hate the obvious scriptyness in HL2. There were several occasions where you can tiptoe around a corner and shoot someone in the hand or feet and they wont react at all until you walk around that corner. There was one instance where the guy I shot was supposed to push over some logs to kill me. He died before I should have been able to see him and the logs still were pushed over. I hate these things >_<

Sorry.

Stallion Free said:
I'm pleased you agree. But you're right, we should ignore the flaws in anything because its only $1.50. I'm sure more than one person has been duped by it so that is how many lots of money Valve shouldn't have*. But to put it in a global perspective this kind of shit happens in the supermarkets as well all the time which is why you know how much you spend, thing is the supermarket will actually apply the discount if you say "this isn't right honor the offer" at the checkout they'll mess about for a bit and give it to you so Valve being "olololol only if buy it through steam, no refunds for you" isn't great service. Though to be fair most supermarkets don't give a shit if you show them the receipt with the discounts not applied after you've paid.

The fact "you shouldn't be buying it as omg how can you not have half life" isn't the point at all but to me seems like a hollow attempt to make the other person feel guilty/"they're doing you a favor"
I'm buying the half life pack, Played the first game but my brothers copy and he registered the keys with steam. for convenience I'll buy it for myself, plus I now have a computer that is capable of running half life 2 I'll get that too...vocab could be in the same situation
Stallion Free said:
Inexcusable and not something you should openly admit.
fakedit:I hate being right...

If the smallprint said "discount only applies if you buy via the client" it would be fair enough. I like steam but this only gives me another example of how the much of it doesn't work properly unless you do it via the client. Account creation via website has been broken for months (solution: use the client), Purchases not working/not giving discounts unless client is used, wishlist can be added to via website but removal requires client usage. Thats all I've found so far in nearly 2 weeks of usage. God help me when I run into the client itself not working properly (but to fair most of those are solved by deleting the clientregistry.blob file).
But Stallion Free doesn't have these problems so they don't matter

*-By law they can keep it because the 85% off was only an invitation to buy...it doesn't have to honored at all.

Toma

Starwolf_UK said:
I'm pleased you agree. But you're right, we should ignore the flaws in anything because its only $1.50. I'm sure more than one person has been duped by it so that is how many lots of money Valve shouldn't have*. But to put it in a global perspective this kind of shit happens in the supermarkets as well all the time which is why you know how much you spend, thing is the supermarket will actually apply the discount if you say "this isn't right honor the offer" at the checkout they'll mess about for a bit and give it to you so Valve being "olololol only if buy it through steam, no refunds for you" isn't great service. Though to be fair most supermarkets don't give a shit if you show them the receipt with the discounts not applied after you've paid.

The fact "you shouldn't be buying it as omg how can you not have half life" isn't the point at all but to me seems like a hollow attempt to make the other person feel guilty/"they're doing you a favor"
I'm buying the half life pack, Played the first game but my brothers copy and he registered the keys with steam. for convenience I'll buy it for myself, plus I now have a computer that is capable of running half life 2 I'll get that too...vocab could be in the same situation

fakedit:I hate being right...

If the smallprint said "discount only applies if you buy via the client" it would be fair enough. I like steam but this only gives me another example of how the much of it doesn't work properly unless you do it via the client. Account creation via website has been broken for months (solution: use the client), Purchases not working/not giving discounts unless client is used, wishlist can be added to via website but removal requires client usage. Thats all I've found so far in nearly 2 weeks of usage. God help me when I run into the client itself not working properly (but to fair most of those are solved by deleting the clientregistry.blob file).
But Stallion Free doesn't have these problems so they don't matter

*-By law they can keep it because the 85% off was only an invitation to buy...it doesn't have to honored at all.

Sorry to interrupt you with all that.. I cant buy anything with the client, always buy over the website and always got all the discounts. Also the HL2 discounts yesterday.
Seems to be a different problem.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anyone want to trade my copy of Serious Sam HD for Blue Shift? My id's the same as it is here.

sturmdogg

Just tried X3: Terran Wars...Goddam talk about a steep learning curve. If any of you have this game and think it's easy, then EVE Online should be nothing to you.

derFeef

Stallion Free said:
Man, you are really harsh sometimes. It is a justified complaint and has nothing to do with that persons game catalogue.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Starwolf_UK said:
wishlist can be added to via website but removal requires client usage.

This isn't true, you just didn't stop and look at the page for fifteen seconds.

When you add to your wishlist, you are doing so on steampowered.com. You are signed in to steampowered.com

When you go to view your wishlist, you are doing so on steamcommunity.com. You are not signed in on steamcommunity.com. If you had bothered to sign in on steamcommunity.com (see at the top of the page where it makes it obvious that you aren't signed in and gives you a sign-in button?), you would be totally able to remove things from your wishlist.

Yes, it's dumb that Valve operates the two functions on separate domains, but it's also dumb to complain about things that aren't true and are really easy to figure out.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Assuming today's the recap day, I'm pretty much done. Here's my haul.

Divinity II - Dragon Knight Saga
FarCry 2
Dawn of Discovery Gold
Transformers: War for Cybertron
Lost Horizon
Greed Corp
Swords and Soldiers HD
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
The Ball
Penumbra Collectors Pack
Section 8
Crysis Complete
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
Splintercell: Chaos Theory
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction - Deluxe Edition
Sam and Max: The Devils Playhouse
King Arthur Pack
Mafia II
Darksiders
Railworks
Bully: Scholarship Edition
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Puzzle Quest
Puzzle Quest 2
Winterbottom
Prince of Persia
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands - Digital Deluxe Edition
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within
The Maw
Super Meat Boy
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Specact DLC
Indie Brain Pack
Indie Smarts Pack

Total Damage: $271 (with what I've gifted, slightly over $300). Well played Gabe.

Minsc said:
Even after leaving it open for a month's uptime, seems fine to me. Currently at 10 days, and it's sitting pretty w/ 85MB of memory usage, which is not even a drop in the bucket. Occasionally Firefox will be at 1.5GB of memory usage! Stupid fox.
I finally had to banish Firefox because it ran so poorly. A sad state for Firefox.

1-D_FTW

Sid Meier's Pirates!
Everyday Genius: SquareLogic
Grand Ages: Rome (NA)
Mafia II DLC - Jimmys Vendetta
Mafia II DLC Joe's Adventures
FarCry 2
Greed Corp
The Ball
Dead Space
Amnesa: The Dark Descent
Mount and Blade: Warband
King's Bounty: Collection
Rush
Crysis: Warhead (NA)
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
Mafia II Amazon Retail
Wings of Prey
Winterbottom
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Men of War: Gold Edition
Lara Croft GOL
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition

This is my final tally. Honest this time. My purchases since the Holiday sale started.

I have spent more on gifting games this winter then buying them for myself, feels good man.

Serious Sam HD is giving me major classic doom feedback, I love it and it's retro blow everything up feel, trying to beat it on normal without cheating but I am a bit rusty with such action :lol mass effect series has spoiled me for being too slack in shooter reaction times.

If today's recap doesn't have anything I want then I might buy the megadrive collection pack or something, I have more fun playing those sort of games then most major new titles... just one of those things (I still have sealed copies of enslaved and split second on my shelf)

Zomba13

Toma said:
Its a great game and I want it too. But I am waiting. It will be cheaper down the road and I just bought 50 games. Should be enough for a while.
I think I might wait. Around £10 seems to be my sweet spot on games I'm not sure if I'll like. I waited for Valkyria Chronicles to go to £10, I waited for Metro 2033 to go to £10 and I'll wait for this (Which I'm sure will happen in next years sale or a sale along the way)

verbatimo

Bit the jaw and bought Divinity II : The Dragon Knight Saga for 20€.

Whew, where did the couple of hours went so fast. This game is awesome euro-rpg. Buy it now gaffers. :D

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Zinga said:
Anyone else feel like steam is bloated these days? i run a pretty decent PC, yet Steam is easily the sluggiest program on my system.
After I first started using a ton of Steam stuff on my laptop a few months ago, I'd been seeing a lot of lag on my laptop across Firefox and Steam until I defragged recently. I had just chalked it up to laptops being slower than desktops in general, but apparently installing and uninstalling stuff on Steam really screws with your HDD. I ran the built in Windows 7 defrag reasonably often but didn't see much of a difference; the other day I downloaded DeFraggler and ran it and basically everything works better now.

I heard good things about MyDefrag and actually downloaded that first, but every time I ran it it was done in probably less than a minute and I saw no difference. One setting I tried took 5 minutes or so. Just didn't feel right, so I tried DeFraggler on a recommendation and it did wonders.

verbatimo said:
Bit the jaw and bought Divinity II : The Dragon Knight Saga for 20€.

Whew, where did the couple of hours went so fast. This game is awesome euro-rpg. Buy it now gaffers. :D

I would, if they removed Securom from it.

So help me, I'm really stuck on if I should bite on Mafia II. Problem is I would want to get the Deluxe Edition + 2 main DLCs which would bring it to $19.97. Would be by far the most expensive game I've spent this sale.

Should I?

Ettie

For the new page. If you played the DKS demo, bought the game, and haven't uninstalled the demo yet, heads up.

Ettie said:

Ended up losing my Divinity 2 savegame when I uninstalled the DKS demo. Be warned
folks.

TheExodu5

Banned
faceless007 said:
So help me, I'm really stuck on if I should bite on Mafia II. Problem is I would want to get the Deluxe Edition + 2 main DLCs which would bring it to $19.97. Would be by far the most expensive game I've spent this sale.

Should I?

Just get it without the DLCs.

Nearly doubling the price of the game is not worth it for a few cars and suits.

edit: I see there are 2 story DLCs. Still say it's not worth it, unless you're sure you're going to play through it all. Even in that case though, don't get the Digital Deluxe.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Is there a new sale in 30 minutes or is this it? I have to know if I need to take the plunge on the bethesda pack now, or wait until later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom