• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
CecilRousso said:
I would, if they removed Securom from it.

Securom and TAGES don't bother me the least, dunno why. Probably because when they were used on retail discs, I still had no trouble making working images myself. Only thing that kinda puts me off is alternate programs running that don't work properly like Windows Live or constant internet connections (from time to time my net can be flaky, or I get interference with other wireless utilities).

ksimm

Hmmm Settlers 7 doesn't seem to be working for me, not sure if it's the DRM at work?
I can't build at all and the people don't move, in fact it's as if the games paused but it's not. :(

jediyoshi

faceless007 said:
So help me, I'm really stuck on if I should bite on Mafia II. Problem is I would want to get the Deluxe Edition + 2 main DLCs which would bring it to $19.97. Would be by far the most expensive game I've spent this sale.

Should I?

Yep. The main story'll likely leave you wanting more stuff to do. Besides, the DLC probably won't go on sale anytime soon and that'd be a good $15 you're saving.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Pai Pai Master said:
It's gonna be a best of probably.
Is it confirmed that the sale will continue today? All it says is the sale lasts until the 2nd. Technically, thats today. Does that mean theres a chance that in 15 minutes the holiday sale is over?

This is going to one of those quote and run post, apologies but before that, potential overlooked title. Yosumin (I remember reading this about years ago for the DS but an opportunity to import never arose. so a pleasant). A bit expensive for an impulse buy but I guess thats why it has a demo (its timed, 60 minutes) but in that time its consumed my soul.
I know how LTTP I am with this

Toma said:
Sorry to interrupt you with all that.. I cant buy anything with the client, always buy over the website and always got all the discounts. Also the HL2 discounts yesterday.
Seems to be a different problem.
That would make sense as I remember a few days ago the Amnesia discount not showing up for some people who got it via Humble Bundle (but it did work for other people who had done the same).

Stumpokapow said:
This isn't true, you just didn't stop and look at the page for fifteen seconds.

When you add to your wishlist, you are doing so on steampowered.com. You are signed in to steampowered.com

When you go to view your wishlist, you are doing so on steamcommunity.com. You are not signed in on steamcommunity.com. If you had bothered to sign in on steamcommunity.com (see at the top of the page where it makes it obvious that you aren't signed in and gives you a sign-in button?), you would be totally able to remove things from your wishlist.

Yes, it's dumb that Valve operates the two functions on separate domains, but it's also dumb to complain about things that aren't true and are really easy to figure out.
What I did was search via google (something like steam wishlist remove) as the whole not being logged on didn't jump out to me (as my logic was "I didn't remember setting my wishlist to be public, therefore I'm logged in") and read a few threads of people having the problem and "do it via the client" was the solution I found posted (I kind of stopped digging when I saw the solution and did via the client). Nice to know what the real cause is though (to make things better the threads I read were on steamcommunity.com wrong again, forums.steampowered.com/=/steamcommunity.com :lol )

Monroeski said:
but apparently installing and uninstalling stuff on Steam really screws with your HDD. I ran the built in Windows 7 defrag reasonably often but didn't see much of a difference; the other day I downloaded DeFraggler and ran it and basically everything works better now.
I really have to bear this in mind. Thanks (I'm using the netbook here to download the games as my bandwidth of 1gigabye/day supposed to be 2gigabytes isn't going to get me my library any time soon but of course it takes up hard drive space/won't even run on the netbook so I'll be removing most of them once the transfer has been done).

Volcynika

Dacvak said:
Is it confirmed that the sale will continue today? All it says is the sale lasts until the 2nd. Technically, thats today. Does that mean theres a chance that in 15 minutes the holiday sale is over?

You should read the new post on Steam that announced the sale. An important word exists in it! (Your post is wrong)

MNC

Dacvak said:
Is there a new sale in 30 minutes or is this it? I have to know if I need to take the plunge on the bethesda pack now, or wait until later.
Gonna be best of sale; the sales will still be there for 24h however.

Teknoman

Does the steam version of HL1+expansions have the soundtrack as well? I still have the CDs around, but it would be nice if they played the right soundtrack without the discs.

I've been sad the last few days, I don't have any money on my debit card, just cash. And have missed a few sales I wanted. Steam wallet is a must next time.

IrishNinja said:
:lol uh...what kinda game is it? steam says "RPG" but the screens only say so much...id sure hate to spend a whole 2.50 and not enjoy it

It's kind of a mild RPG. You sail around and fight enemy pirates, attack ships, do quests and gain reputation with the different countries in the Americas. You can upgrade your fleet/ships and your character, etc. It's a bit repetitive but it's quite fun.

Q8D3vil said:
get joe adventures dlc and skip the rest
I already bought it, but does the Joe's Adventure DLC come with cut-scenes? The Jimmy's Revenge is just scripting with a short text screen before each mission. Yeah, you get missions but for a game that lives on atmosphere it is kinda lame.

IrishNinja said:
:lol uh...what kinda game is it? steam says "RPG" but the screens only say so much...id sure hate to spend a whole 2.50 and not enjoy it

You know, a good rule with Steam sales is not to buy the games you are unsure about, and it´s even more true about the ones you don´t even know anything about. :lol

But it´s a lightweight RPG, where you try to achieve as many as possible of a set of goals:

*Rescue lost family members.
*Defeat 10 other pirates.
*Recover lost treasures.
*Build up personal wealth, rank and fame.

Gameplay consists of:

*Exploration with your ship
*Ship combat
*Fencing
*A couple of different minigames - dancing, sneaking, etc.

I recommend it, but it lacks widescreen resolutions.

fz9pci.jpg

MNC

Awesome, the recap sale got the games I'd like to rebuy :lol

Fuck me :(

Edit: GTA4 pack is not available in EU anymore wtf?

Yay, another day to decide on Mafia II. I'll be honest, the reason I'm so hesitant is because I'm holding out hoping I can find the physical collector's edition for cheap someday. Yeah yeah physical boo hiss, but dammit, it's a nice map and art book.

Suddenly there are deals not available in my region :p, i could swear GTA deal was available in my region last time. Not sure what to do, I might get Neverwinter Nights 2.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Stormtrooper30 said:
Is Neverwinter Nights 2 worth picking up at 10 bucks?

Absolutely. It comes with all but one expansion, too.

derFeef

storafötter said:
Suddenly there are deals not available in my region :p, i could swear GTA deal was available in my region last time. Not sure what to do, I might get Neverwinter Nights 2.
It´s a mistake a guess, same for me.

Dambrosi

Banned
Mr Sandman said:
wat the fuck

Well at least I've got another day to decide if I want Mafia II.
Don't forget who can get it for you cheaper...*whistles*

Either way, I should have known Mafia 2 would carry over, there was such a large demand for it. Oh well, capitalism HO! :lol

Nice, I skipped on Amnesia the first time around, proceeded to play a ton of Penumbra the next day and love it, and then kick myself repeatedly for missing out on the sale. I hate how the "own the previous game and get +% off" sales are gone for the recap, but I'll consider that extra dollar my dumbass fee.

Sales finish at 10 AM Pacific Time too.

Well, hopefully my dollars will get renovated before it ends. I'd like to get Civilization IV Complete before the sales end.

lol what, gta4 complete is now "not available in your region" when it was last week, not that I can buy it because I own the original gta4. fuck sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom