• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuminus3

I'll be glad when this sale is over just to be able to download some of this stuff. Download speeds are terrible over the holiday season!

joesmokey

Did people already discuss whether Divinity II was worth it or not? I'm pretty tempted to get the game based mainly on the graphics alone, although the Metacritic score isn't too hot...

~Kinggi~

Banned
I just cant believe i have 180 games now and spent 293 fricken dollars. What an expensive end of the year. My New Years resolution is definitely to save money.

joesmokey said:
Did people already discuss whether Divinity II was worth it or not? I'm pretty tempted to get the game based mainly on the graphics alone, although the Metacritic score isn't too hot...

I don't know much about it but do remember that this is the re-release, and I suppose remastering, of Divinity II. So if you're looking at Metacritic it's 'Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga', not 'Ego Draconis'. There's a GAF thread for it too with more info on additions.

vocab

joesmokey said:

It's a Euro RPG. They are never received well. Check out the demo.

jediyoshi

The way they handle Tales of Valor kinda sucks. It needs the data from Company of Heroes so it downloads it, but it takes up a spot on your games list even if you don't own it.

Yes tomorrow, or today if you are on the east coast, will be the last day of sales. There likely will not be any new daily deals and it will just be a recap of the best sellers from this week.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I <3 Memes said:
Yes tomorrow, or today if you are on the east coast, will be the last day of sales. There likely will not be any new daily deals and it will just be a recap of the best sellers from this week.
Chances are the indie deal will be new but yeah for the most part the smart money is on a recap.

OneEightZero said:
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity | $2.50: 75% off
I wonder if me adding it to my wishlist this morning is what made it appear in today's sale. :lol

Anyway, I bought it and it rocks. :D

I'm not much of a PC gamer, so my damage in this year's sale wasn't too bad.

Purchased
- AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
- Winterbottom
- Super Meat Boy

Gifted
- Super Meat Boy
- Puzzle Quest

rac

Banned
This sale has been great. However I pray to Gabe that Amnesia gets put up on a recap, should have bought it the first time
idiot
. He owes me for making me buy burnout though. From what I've played it's just way to repetitive.

stuminus3 said:
I'll be glad when this sale is over just to be able to download some of this stuff. Download speeds are terrible over the holiday season!

:lol I was just about to post pretty much this exact same thing.

Can't wait till I can actually play my games! Anything over a gig, anyway.

slamskank said:
how do you filter your games by most recent purchase?

Outside of marking them favorite as you buy them or creating a category and adding them as you buy them, I don't believe this is possible. It would be cool if it was though, so maybe somebody else knows some amazing secret that I do not.

Oreoleo

slamskank said:
how do you filter your games by most recent purchase?

Don't think you can, but if you right click the Steam icon in your tray it will show some of your most recent purchases to quick-launch.

Oreoleo

echoshifting said:
Really? All I ever see is recently played.

Right now my quick launch options are the 5 Star Wars Jedi Knight/Dark Forces games, none of which I've played, all of which I bought the other day.

FWIW I haven't played anything on Steam in 2 or 3 days.

Forkball

So what Indie packs are worth getting? I'm almost certainly going to get the 2D Pack. How is the Future one? Any other recommendations?

There's nothing I missed from the past week, so the recap sale doesn't interest me. But I will be scavenging to see what good deals there are for games that were never a daily deal.

Well i'm FINALLY done with the sale :lol

Got Gifted Settlers 7 + DLC Pack #3 = $35
Dawn of Discovery Gold $14.99
CivCity: Rome $.99
Oblivion GOTY Deluxe $12.49
Swords and Soliders HD $2.50
SimCity 4 Deluxe $4.99
NWN 2 $9.99
Serious Sam Gold Pack $3.99
Alpha Protocol $7.50
Mass Effect 2 $9.99
Super Meat Boy $3.75
Winterbottom $.49

Total: $106.67

Time to work that off.

Bought the Half-life anthology! I'm having a problem when starting Half-life. I can see the title screen, but all the words disappeared. I'm assuming the words are still on the screen because when moving the mouse to the position where the words would be, I can hear noises. Anyone know how to fix this error?

Edit: Never had this problem when opening any other source game.

I haven't been able to get any of the HL1 games to work in years. In fact, I experienced very similar issues. Would love it if someone has a fix, as I've never played through Opposing Force or Blue Shift.

Shadowlink said:
Bought the Half-life anthology! I'm having a problem when starting Half-life. I can see the title screen, but all the words disappeared. I'm assuming the words are still on the screen because when moving the mouse to the position where the words would be, I can hear noises. Anyone know how to fix this error?

Edit: Never had this problem when opening any other source game.

True Half-Life 1 (that is to say, the one not explicitly marked Half-Life: Source) is GoldSrc, Source's predecessor. That was designed for Windows 95/98 (HL1 was released in late 1998, wrap your head around that). You may want to set the executable to run in Win95/98 compatibility mode, especially if you're on Win7. It's entirely possible that DirectX and modern video drivers aren't loading the game properly, since it was developed with DirectX5/6 and original OpenGL.

Anyway, sweet Jesus, I now have a dozen games in my backlog, and there's stuff we're working on this year too. D: When I am I supposed to find time for all this?

(I so need to make time for Mass Effect, though. It's been too long. And I should finish DAO before DA2 comes out.)

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Question again for those Tilted Mill games, specifically Children of the Nile. How hard is it? It was mentioned earlier about it being poorly weight against the user(Specifically god actions).

So basically, info.

confused

Banned
The damage this year :

Bionic Commando Rearmed
Mafia II DLC Joe's Adventures
Mafia II DLC - Jimmys Vendetta
FarCry
FarCry 2
Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood
Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway
Doom Pack
Section 8
Crysis Complete (W-EU)
Super Meat Boy
Lost Planet 2
Shank
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction
Overlord Complete Pack
Battlefield 2
Borderlands DLC Claptrap
Mass Effect 2
Dead Rising 2
Indie Mix Pack
Trials 2: Second Edition
Geometry Wars
Indie Brain Pack
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Dark Sector
Mafia
Clones
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Puzzle Quest
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (ROW)
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands
Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Prince of Persia
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition + Vietnam
OddBoxx
F.E.A.R.: Ultimate Shooter Edition
SimCity 4 Deluxe
Indie Smarts Pack
Flight Control HD
Humble Indie Bundle 2

Plus a couple of gifts

Grand total 220 Euros

SpaceDrake said:
True Half-Life 1 (that is to say, the one not explicitly marked Half-Life: Source) is GoldSrc, Source's predecessor. That was designed for Windows 95/98 (HL1 was released in late 1998, wrap your head around that). You may want to set the executable to run in Win95/98 compatibility mode, especially if you're on Win7. It's entirely possible that DirectX and modern video drivers aren't loading the game properly, since it was developed with DirectX5/6 and original OpenGL.

Anyway, sweet Jesus, I now have a dozen games in my backlog, and there's stuff we're working on this year too. D: When I am I supposed to find time for all this?

(I so need to make time for Mass Effect, though. It's been too long. And I should finish DAO before DA2 comes out.)
Tried setting the executable to run in Win95/98/2000/XP and none worked.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Divinity 2 does make a pretty decent first impression:

divinity22011-01-0203-ny1q.jpg

divinity22011-01-0203-axjb.jpg

vocab

Stallion Free said:
Divinity 2 does make a pretty decent first impression:

Hows the performance? First attempt at max was kinda meh. I heard there's two settings that help a lot. I don't get why they include a frame limiter that is from 30-100. Makes no sense :lol

shintoki said:
Question again for those Tilted Mill games, specifically Children of the Nile. How hard is it? It was mentioned earlier about it being poorly weight against the user(Specifically god actions).

So basically, info.

Nah, it's Pharaoh & Cleopatra, CotN's predecessor, that features wrathful Egyptian gods. CotN's are tame by comparison...in fact they sort of remain in abstract throughout. It's access to the gods you need to worry about, and I know this is tricky for some, but I didn't think it was all that hard. My understanding is it's been much easier since the enhanced patch came out.

The game introduces some interesting ideas; some were taken and refined in Caesar IV down the road. In particular, the idea of the game modeling every individual citizen is pretty cool. On the other hand, it is fucking ugly, by modern standards or even by the bar set by its 2D brethren.

I recommend it, though. It's fun.

I just reinstalled my disc version of CoH and I have to say I hate downloading patches.. 300mb from 1.00 to 1.40, 1.8GB from 1.40 to 2.201 and the game still auto downloads a 114mb patch wtf :(

I might doubledip for a Steam copy just for this BS and gift my retail disc to someone..

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anyone else interested in a Combo CivCity/Grand Ages OT? (as well as hinting a few other people to these games)
We could discuss some hints or strategies there. But I am not going to write it up with only me and SpacePirateRidley interested :lol

SteelAttack said:
Thanks for the heads-up. My wife is going to love this game.
I also picked up two Indie packs. The smarts pack and the kids pack.

Good Choices btw. And you'll be pleasantly surprised by Delve Deeper. Another overlooked gem in the store.

Toma said:
Anyone else interested in a Combo CivCity/Grand Ages OT? (as well as hinting a few other people to these games)
We could discuss some hints or strategies there. But I am not going to write it up with only me and SpacePirateRidley interested :lol

Good Choices btw. And you'll be pleasantly surprised by Delve Deeper. Another overlooked gem in the store.

well i have both CivCity and Grand Age. but i'm currently into Dawn of Discovery. But i could stop and play one of the two games and talk ;o

confused

Banned
Toma said:

Be Nike, JUST DO IT !

vocab

Gotta love steam support.

Me:

Hi, I bought the Half Life anthology today, and did not receive the additional discount for owning L4D1 and L4D2. My credit card was charged 3.74, when it should of been $2.24.

Is there anyway I can be compensated?

Thanks.

Steam:

Hello Tom,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Unfortunately, this discount only applies if the titles were purchased through Steam.

If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

smh. I bet they are gonna spin around saying sorry we can't help you because you bought it from our website instead of the steam client. I love steam, but their support is flat out garbage.

tahrikmili said:
I just reinstalled my disc version of CoH and I have to say I hate downloading patches.. 300mb from 1.00 to 1.40, 1.8GB from 1.40 to 2.201 and the game still auto downloads a 114mb patch wtf :(

I might doubledip for a Steam copy just for this BS and gift my retail disc to someone..

Goddamnit I just realized I have to patch all the way up to 2.6 for this game, that's 4gbs+ of patches right there.

ARGH. :( Just to save $2.50? I can't believe myself!

KHarvey16

vocab said:
Gotta love steam support.

Me:

Hi, I bought the Half Life anthology today, and did not receive the additional discount for owning L4D1 and L4D2. My credit card was charged 3.74, when it should of been $2.24.

Is there anyway I can be compensated?

Thanks.

Steam:

Hello Tom,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Unfortunately, this discount only applies if the titles were purchased through Steam.

If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

smh. I bet they are gonna spin around saying sorry we can't help you because you bought it from our website instead of the steam client. I love steam, but their support is flat out garbage.

Wait...I didn't buy LFD1 on Steam but I still got the discount.

Gibbo

Geesus- been searching and trying all means to run Star Wars: Kotor on my Laptop to no avail. Using windows 7 - 64 bit - ATI. Game a window pop's up for brief second saying "Star Wars KOTOR is preparing to launch" and it just disappears after that : (

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom