• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
jj984jj said:
Guys, tell me not to buy the Runaway games. I've spent $200 already. ;_;
DON'T BUY THE RUNAWAY GAMES YOU HAVE ALREADY SPENT 200 DOLLARS AND IT'S NOT LIKE YOU'LL PLAY ANYTHING EVER ANYWAY

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF, MAN

Rorschach

I can't get over how stupid Zeno Clash looks. I'm not even gonna say "ugly." Just stupid. Is this preventing me from playing a good game?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
confused said:
10.75 left in my Steam Wallet. Dear GAF, what should I buy ?

CivCity: Rome (1$) and Children of the Nile Pack (3,12$)
RealMyst and Riven for 2,99$ each
Freedom Force vs the Third Reich for 1,69$
Toki Tori for 1,25$
Commandos Collection for 2,99$ (4 Commandos games)
LucasArts Adventure Pack for 4,99$ (2 Indiana games, The Dig, Loom)
Torchlight for 4,99$
Grand Ages: Rome for 3,99$ (I'll give impressions later)
Deus Ex GOTY for 4,99$
All the Indie Packs for under 5€

If you never played them (or didnt play all of them) the Commandos Pack and LucasArts Adventure Pack are especially sweet.

confused

Banned
Toma said:
CivCity: Rome (1$) and Children of the Nile Pack (3,12$)
RealMyst and Riven for 2,99$ each
Freedom Force vs the Third Reich for 1,69$
Toki Tori for 1,25$
Commandos Collection for 2,99$ (4 Commandos games)
LucasArts Adventure Pack for 4,99$ (2 Indiana games, The Dig, Loom)
Torchlight for 4,99$
Grand Ages: Rome for 3,99$ (I'll give impressions later)
Deus Ex GOTY for 4,99$
All the Indie Packs for under 5€

If you never played them (or didnt play all of them) the Commandos Pack and LucasArts Adventure Pack are especially sweet.

Those citybuilding games, do they have combat? I hate fucking combat in citybuilders.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
confused said:
Those citybuilding games, do they have combat? I hate fucking combat in citybuilders.

From the upcoming OT:

Due to the different setting, (Imagine building a military camp in SimCity as New York and defending against Miami or something... hm. We might be onto something.) you also need to take care of certain military aspects. In most of the games these are very tame as your job is to provide the corresponding infrastructure to sustain and supply your military, rather than leading them into battle. I cant speak for that part in Grand Ages yet because I havent seen it up to now but I'd say you shouldnt expect Total War-like battlefield mechanics. In CivCity you only build a fort, get them weapons and have them ready when enemies come. It basically functions as any other part of the game without having too much emphasis on it.

confused

Banned
Toma said:
From the upcoming OT:

Due to the different setting, (Imagine building a military camp in SimCity as New York and defending against Miami or something... hm. We might be onto something.) you also need to take care of certain military aspects. In most of the games these are very tame as your job is to provide the corresponding infrastructure to sustain and supply your military, rather than leading them into battle. I cant speak for that part in Grand Ages yet because I havent seen it up to now but I'd say you shouldnt expect Total War-like battlefield mechanics. In CivCity you only build a fort, get them weapons and have them ready when enemies come. It basically functions as any other part of the game without having too much emphasis on it.

Right, so totally small scale compared to say Age of Empires/Settlers ? It's the main reason I couldn't get into any citybuilders/Civ games. I just want to build, not fight.

Toma

confused said:
Right, so totally small scale compared to say Age of Empires/Settlers ? It's the main reason I couldn't get into any citybuilders/Civ games. I just want to build, not fight.

Definitely small scale, at least in CivCity and Children of the Nile. In those games its just one minor aspect, more or less equal with all the others. CivCity even divides the missions in economic and military with mission that have no military aspect at all and missions where your main task is to ensure that the military is standing. If you did that right, you will win the fights. The actual fighting is not that important. Same goes for Children of the Nile.

MNC

vocab said:
Gotta love steam support.

Me:

Hi, I bought the Half Life anthology today, and did not receive the additional discount for owning L4D1 and L4D2. My credit card was charged 3.74, when it should of been $2.24.

Is there anyway I can be compensated?

Thanks.

Steam:

Hello Tom,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Unfortunately, this discount only applies if the titles were purchased through Steam.

If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.

smh. I bet they are gonna spin around saying sorry we can't help you because you bought it from our website instead of the steam client. I love steam, but their support is flat out garbage.
You did link them to steam right? That's really really peculiar.

confused

Banned
Toma said:
Definitely small scale, at least in CivCity and Children of the Nile. In those games its just one minor aspect, more or less equal with all the others. CivCity even divides the missions in economic and military with mission that have no military aspect at all and missions where your main task is to ensure that the military is standing. If you did that right, you will win the fights. The actual fighting is not that important. Same goes for Children of the Nile.

Between the two : which one ? No need for more than one at this moment.

Paradox Pack is probably the best purchase I've made so far. Sure, those Grand Strategy games might be very similar, but they're all set during different time periods, and overlap each other nicely!

I'd love a modern day version, but not entirely sure how that would work.

EUIII is awesome, Victoria II is great and Hearts of Iron III is down right nasty. Next to that Elven Legacy keeps things interesting, with his old school tactical RPG approach.

Toma

confused said:
Between the two : which one ? No need for more than one at this moment.

Grah. Thats exactly why I am writing the OT :lol

Anyway also from the OT:

CivCity if...
...you are new to the genre and really just want to dip your toe into what this could be like or if you cant resist a 1$ game purchase. Nothing wrong to start with this title. Runs on anything. No widescreen, doesnt bother me though.

Children of the Nile if...
...you cant stand the Rome setting, want to appease the egyptian gods, want huge settlers-like supply chains and arent offended by a bit ugly graphics. Also runs on anything. More complex than CivCity.

Donos

i just bought oblivion deluxe for 18.74€. If it gets discounted again today, do i get money back ? Or is the 18.74€ still the price of the Daily Deal ?

jediyoshi

Rorschach said:
I can't get over how stupid Zeno Clash looks. I'm not even gonna say "ugly." Just stupid. Is this preventing me from playing a good game?

Just pretend they're all terrorists. And yes.

Zinga

Banned
Anyone else feel like steam is bloated these days? i run a pretty decent PC, yet Steam is easily the sluggiest program on my system.

Toma

Thread for the City builders is up. More info and (hopefully) discussion to un-derail the steam thread over there:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25189391

Smash88 said:
I'm going to miss these sales and you guys after this sale is done. Makes the wait for next year unbearable. *sniff*

If people will participate in the other thread, most of them will be the same that posted here :D
Lets see whether the interest-level in these games is high enough.

Donos

tahrikmili said:
No and no.

Please don't tell me the deluxe version was 9.99€ at the steam deal. I remember that i was thinking of grabbing it but i don't remember the price.
Damn you oblivion mod thread !!!!!!! You got me.

Zinga said:
Anyone else feel like steam is bloated these days? i run a pretty decent PC, yet Steam is easily the sluggiest program on my system.
I only think steam is a bit bloated when I had my pc on for a good 24 hours, but most of the time I turn it off at night.

I have 2gigs of ram and an above average pc (made in 2009) and yet to really see a problem with the new UI.

Toma

lastplayed said:
Not really, it's always pretty snappy for me.

Same for me. Cant notice any lags or whatever.

Minsc

Gold Member
Zinga said:

Even after leaving it open for a month's uptime, seems fine to me. Currently at 10 days, and it's sitting pretty w/ 85MB of memory usage, which is not even a drop in the bucket. Occasionally Firefox will be at 1.5GB of memory usage! Stupid fox.

Aaron

Zinga said:
I'm betting your hard drive needs a defrag.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I said goddamn...

Before sale : 20ish games
After sale : 110 and counting....

Danj

So guys, anyone care to speculate what the last day's deals will be? Looking forward to 6pm GMT, I still have £8 to spend! :D

Donos

Danj said:
So guys, anyone care to speculate what the last day's deals will be? Looking forward to 6pm GMT, I still have £8 to spend! :D

I don't think it will be new games but just the "best" deals/games all over. Hopefully no oblivion or i will fuuuuuuuuu.

Or just one deal: Bloodlines for 1€ !

I am so uncertain if I want to buy Zeno Clash or not. Is there more to it than the artstyle, and fighting? and how long does it take to complete it.

jercruz

Toma said:

thanks for the tip. bought children now, civcity unavailable in aussie :(

Lumine said:
So... Ion Assault, Swarm Arena or neither? :p
Would also like to know...
One thing to bear in mind. Ion Assault only supports controllers via the X-input library (and recently at that, yes an arena shooter was released with no controller support). I'm kind of new to this getting controllers to work on PC and have a Wii Classic Controller which should work via glovepie...is there any way to get that X-input compatible.

Does Divinity II have native 360 controller support, or will I have to use an external program to map the controls to the pad? I only ask as I'm on a laptop and have no mouse currently, just a dreaded track-pad.

markot

Banned
Bootaaay said:
Does Divinity II have native 360 controller support, or will I have to use an external program to map the controls to the pad? I only ask as I'm on a laptop and have no mouse currently, just a dreaded track-pad.
Its available for the 360 too so I assume it would have controller support >.<

Psy-Phi

Danj said:
For the last few years the final day has been a recap/retread of earlier sales. I'm not sure if they choose them with any particular measuring stick (i.e. Bets Selling Deals at their lowest prices of the sale, or deals that people have requested somewhere that I don't know about). Just think of it as a best of sale sale. Though I would be pleased as punch if they were all new still. And I'd go apeshit if Dreamfall/The Longest Journey were on sale.

I know I can get TLJ on GoG, but that's not the one I want so much, just want it in my "collection" since I have the discs around here somewhere (likely won't play it again). I never got a chance to play Dreamfall though. If they were $15 together I'd bite so hard, I'd draw blood. But I may just buy them, it's only $25 for both (and just buying Dreamfall on Steam is $20, so I'd pay the same price if I were to get it at GoG).

markot said:
Its available for the 360 too so I assume it would have controller support >.<
Don't assume such things. ME1, ME2, Dragon Age & Sacred 2 do not have controller support and all are availabe on the 360. (there are probably more but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that I remember not being able to find controller support).

jediyoshi

Ataturk said:
Two questions on Half-Life complete:

Can you play HL2: Lost Coast if you get it?

Can I gift stuff I already have?

I would think so, but it really shouldn't be a deciding factor. It's maybe an hour long, and that's if you decide to take in the scenary. And no gifting things you already own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom