• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reknoc

Mirai Nikki 1

Ah now, this is interesting. Sadly the episode was plagued by some pretty nasty CGI, and not just Deeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuussssssss, but the area where the rules of the game are explained. Judging from the silhouettes the other diary users look to be quite an odd bunch. Gives me something of a No More Heroes vibe.

Oh and Yuno <3

Mirai Nikki 01:

Yandere is Best Dere! Yuno is proof~

The opening scene. If you don't know anything about the story going in, you would do well to forget it. Now.

Those of us who already know the future and have seen it in our own Future Diaries, it's time to get strapped in for a brain-popping ride. This shit is gonna be so real.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Chihayafuru 2 - Good episode, I don't see this show being better than a solid "7" but if it keeps up this current level of quality for the next 23 episodes, I won't regret my time with it, especially since it has two things I'm a sucker for - genki girls and josei / shoujo art.

Lafiel said:
Chihayafuru 2 - Good episode, I don't see this show being better than a solid "7" but if it keeps up this current level of quality for the next 23 episodes, I won't regret my time with it, especially since it has two things I'm a sucker for - genki girls and josei / shoujo art.
The show is real good aside from the card game which is completely stupid. I don't know how much of that I can take.

trejo

Chihayafuru 2

It was a nice episode but man, Karuta seems like such a boring ass card game. It's really a wonder that the show manages to be enjoyable in spite of being based around it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
trejo said:
Chihayafuru 2

It was a nice episode but man, Karuta seems like such a boring ass card game. It's really a wonder that the show manages to be enjoyable in spite of being based around it.
Character. I mean, I haven't read the manga but ep. 2 was pure backstory on the three friends, so I found it fun to watch. If the somehow turn it around to focus on the game itself, my interest will definitely tank.

zeroshiki

How about some Nichijou karuta?

E697A5E5B8B8E38080011-7710d.jpg

C3 2

0_o

The OP and first episode are a trap! This isn't a harem comedy at all! Glad I was advised to watch this episode because it wasn't even on my radar after last week's. Will keep watching.

Instro

Chihayafuru 2
This will be a nice show to stick with. I hope there's a bit more to it than "love triangle with card game", but either way its a competent show and pretty enjoyable to watch.

Articalys

Chihayafuru 2

If they're going to focus on the backstory for this long then they really shouldn't have teased us with that quick look at the present at the start of the first episode.
Also, kids can be real jerks when motivated by jealousy. Though I guess they had throw in that bit with his parents to make him a bit sympathetic.

zeroshiki

Its Newtype, guys. They probably still have Kira Yamato in the favorite male character list and Rei, Asuka, Lacus in the female character list.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Obviously it's really sad seeing Tiger & Bunny and Im@s and AnoHana topping the list, but something about Star Driver being one spot above Penguindrum hit it home.

Blader5489 said:
Would anyone recommend Mardock Scramble? It gave me a kind of GitS vibe, though I doubt it's at that level.
It's trashy fun with lots of gratuitous violence and nudity. It feels like a throwback to the 90s and even has artificial film grain to heighten that effect.
It's not even nearly at the level of GitS, but you might find something to like in it.

NewFresh

Director Ranking

1. Shinbo Akiyuki (Madoka)
2. Tatsuyuki Nagai (AnoHana)
3. Kunihiko Ikuhara (PenguinDrum)
4. Keiichi Satou (Tiger & Bunny)
5. Atsushi Nishigori (Idolm@ster)

No Star Diver here!

Articalys

Running down a list of some of the other categories from those awards:

Best Mascot:
1) Kyubey (Madoka)
2) Penguin#2 (MPD)
3) Sakamoto (Nichijou)
4) Kuro (Ao no Exorcist)

Favorite Male Character:
1) Rintaro Okabe (Steins;Gate)
2) Kaburagi T. Kotetsu (T&B)
3) Jintan (Ano Hana)
4) Kamijou Touma (Index)
5) Kyousuke Kousaka (Oreimo)

Favorite Female Character:
1) Homura Akemi (Madoka)
2) Madoka Kaname (Madoka)
3) Kuroneko (Oreimo)
4) Menma (Ano Hana)
5) Ikamusume (...duh)

Soundtrack:
1) Madoka
2) Ano Hana
3) Tiger & Bunny
4) IM@S
5) Uta no Prince-sama

Theme Songs:
1) Connect (Madoka)
2) Aoi Shiori (Ano Hana)
3) Orion o Nazoru (T&B)
4) Secret Base (Ano Hana)
5) Ready (IM@S)

Risette

A Good Citizen
Krev said:
Obviously it's really sad seeing Tiger & Bunny and Im@s and AnoHana toppingthe list, but something about Star Driver being one spot above Penguindrum hit it home.
What's wrong with IM@S being there?

Articalys said:
Running down a list of some of the other categories from those awards:

Best Mascot:
1) Kyubey (Madoka)
2) Penguin#2 (MPD)
3) Sakamoto (Nichijou)
4) Kuro (Ao no Exorcist)

I don't know about Kuro, but otherwise this is a list I can get behind.

zeroshiki

Since I'm bored, here's the rest: (I haven't watched some of these shows so bear with the names

Best mascot:
1. Kyuubey
2. Penguin No. 2
3. Sakamoto-san (Nichijou)
4. Kuro (Ao no Exorcist)

Best male:
1. Okabe
2. Kaburagi (Tiger & Bunny)
3. Jinta
4. Kamijou Touma
5. Takasaka Ryousuke

Best female:
1. Homura
2. Madoka
3. Kuroneko
4. Menma
5. Ika Musume

Best Song
1. Connect (Madoka)
2. Aoi Shiori (Anohana)
3. Orion wo nazoru (Tiger & Bunny)
4. secret base (Anohana)
5. Ready!! (Idolmaster)

Best scenario
1. Madoka
2. Anohana
3. Tiger & Bunny
4. Stein's;Gate
5. Mawaru Penguin Drum

Character Design
1. Madoka
2. Tiger & Bunny
3. Denpa Onna
4. Idolmaster
5. Hanasaku Iroha

Mechanical design
1. Tiger & Bunny
2. Gundam Unicorn
3. IS

Cinematography
1. Madoka
2. Anohana
3. Tiger & bunny

Art
1. Madoka
2. Hanasaku Iroha
3. Mawaru Penguindrum

Background
1. Madoka
2. Mawaru Penguindrum
3. Anohana

Effects
1. Madoka
2. Tiger & Bunny
3. Mawaru Penguindrum

Best commercial
1. Idolmaster
2. Madoka
3. Tiger & Bunny
4. Anohana
5. Fate/Zero

sonicmj1

Gunbuster 1-6

Good lord, the end is so good. It's just beautiful. I can't believe how good it is. It's the first time any anime has brought tears to my eyes, except for Millennium Actress, I guess. It's so uplifting.

It gets off to a kind of slow start, developing Noriko from a green, scared newbie to world-saving heroine, but it's truly wonderful once it hits the gas. I love the purity of feeling in it.

I'm also really struck by how excellent Episode 6 is, despite apparent budget problems so traumatic that the whole thing is in black and white. Major scenes are hardly animated, but the fierce energy of the fighting and the intensity of the stakes is always apparent. It's so well-done.

How could Anno go from this to the negativity and neurosis of Evangelion? They're so fundamentally different.

Articalys

zeroshiki said:
Since I'm bored, here's the rest: (I haven't watched some of these shows so bear with the names

big list
Well, of course someone who knows Japanese can do it faster than Google Translate.

Anyway, two more categories:

Best Movie:
1) Macross Frontier: The Wings of Goodbye
2) FMA: Sacred Star of Milos
3) Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
4) Gundam 00: Awakening of the Trailblazer
5) Kokuriko-zaka Kara
6) Sora no Otoshimono: The Angeloid of Clockwork
7) Sengoku Basara: The Last Party
8) Hoshi o Ou Kodomo
9) Towa no Quon
10) Fafner in the Azure: Heaven and Earth

Best Video Game OP Animation:
1) Tales of Xillia
2) The iDOLM@STER
3) Sengoku Basara

zeroshiki

Kokuriko being number 5 on that list shows just how divorced these awards (and I guess fandom in general) is to the mainstream. 1 week sales of Kokuriko probably destroys lifetime sales of everything else on that list.

firehawk12 said:
Secret Base is the reason Ano Hana is on the OST list, surely.

Its not even the top Anohana song! Its number 4, Aoi Shiori (Blue bookmark) is number 2!

DrForester said:
Penguin #2, WTF.....

1 > 3 > 2 hands down.
What the . . . no. We barely even see 3, so how are you going to put her above 2? And 1 is just perverted and predictable. 2 is definitely the best of the bunch.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Master Milk said:
What the . . . no. We barely even see 3, so how are you going to put her above 2? And 1 is just perverted and predictable. 2 is definitely the best of the bunch.
1 wins for episode 5 and samurai armor. 3 comes in second for being adorable while knitting with Himari.

DrForester said:
1 wins for episode 5 and samurai armor. 3 comes in second for being adorable while knitting with Himari.
2 can go blow for blow with 1 as far as being funny and entertaining is concerned. What puts him over the edge is that he jumped in front of a car to save Shou. 2 > 1 > 3.

Articalys

More categories, just like the Oscars!

Voice Actress for a Supporting Role:
1) Chiwa Saitou
2) Kana Hanazawa
3) Eri Kitamura
4) Aki Toyosaki
5) Emiri Katou

Voice Actor for a Supporting Role
1) Keiji Fujiwara
2) Nobuhiko Okamoto
3) Takahiro Sakurai
4) Jun Fukuyama
5) Tomokazu Seki

Voice Actress for a Main Role:
1) Aoi Yuuki
2) Kana Hanazawa
3) Ai Kayano
4) Miyuki Sawashiro
5) Maaya Sakamoto

Voice Actor for a Main Role
1) Mamoru Miyano
2) Hiroshi Kamiya
3) Nobuhiko Okamoto
4) Hiroaki Hirata
5) Hiro Shimono

Not going to list which characters everyone voiced, go figure it out yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom