• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
Marimite is god tier, clearly.

Usagi Drop just came out right? DVD release next year?

Marimite > Yamato. At least I knew what I was getting into with Marimite.

The DVD release depends on how popular it got. More popular = later DVD release. This is why we're not getting Kokuriko until at least mid next year since its still charting at the box office.

I'm hoping for a Spring release for Usagi Drop. I need my cuteness in BluRay.

Instro said:
The girl playing Kaoru is really cute.

Her name is Takei Emi and hands off, I saw her first.

she's also just 17 -_-

Geneijin

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon Episode 2 Plot Summary Draft

We learn more about Tori's confession in the previous episode.
It appears Tori isn't make a confession to the departed girl, Horizon, at her gravestone but to a person who resembles her apparently, who is also the girl seen singing at Horizon's grave in the last episode. This girl is actually a doll (or robot [?]) working at some cafe since roughly a year ago, and the shop owner of this place is very familiar of Tori because he previously visited there often until 10 years ago. 10 years ago was also when Horizon died. It appears ever since the shop owner found this doll and had it working at the shop that Tori has returned to visiting again to see this Horizon-lookalike as we can all assume from what she tells us.

And speaking of Horizon, while the shop owner speaks to Masazumi, she tells her to go to The Path of Remorse if she's looking to understand others better. This is also the place where Horizon's gravestone is as Kimi tells us in Episode 1 when their father, Tori and Kimi's, builds a gravestone for. This suggestion was spurred by the conversation about Tori, and it seems Masazumi and Tori are familiar with one another and have some kind of relationship.

But before I talk about Masazumi, did they clarify or tell us anything new related to the plot? Yes, as we can see inside the classroom.
They remind us the Earth consisted of two places: the Divine States and the Harmonic Divine States - which is located in another dimension separated from the Earth. However, the Far East people as speculated lived in the Divine States while the other people from the other countries resided in the Harmonic Divine States. During that time, the Divine States was fighting amongst themselves and divided on the battle for the throne, and the Harmonic Divine States fell onto Earth. This is hard to understand, but apparently, in 1412, half of the Harmonic Divine States was destroyed and the other half of it survives and remains as fragments of the Harmonic Divine States still around. The inhabitants of the Harmonic Divine States all arrived in the Divine States simultaneously, blamed them for this happening, and a war started.

Now here's what's really interesting: the people from the fallen Harmonic Divine States were the ones from the heavens who wish to return to their former prosperity, so they wish to restore the Harmonic Divine States by reproducing the history from people of the past. They were also the ones who wrote or created the book Testament.

So what does this exactly mean? There's so much damn contradiction that I'll have to watch this again.

Branduil

duckroll said:
According to a Japanese blog which had the chance to watch the Guilty Crown premiere at an event yesterday, the anime is SO GOOD that after watching it, it feels like the anticipation and suspense you would have after reading a chapter of a Naoki Urasawa manga.

IT WILL BE GLORIOUS! HYPE!!!!
Well that's clearly the first comparison that comes to mind from watching the trailers.

wsippel

Banned
Geneijin said:
And speaking of Horizon, while the shop owner speaks to Masazumi, she tells her to go to The Path of Remorse if she's looking to understand others better. This is also the place where Horizon's gravestone is as Kimi tells us in Episode 1 when their father, Tori and Kimi's, builds a gravestone for. This suggestion was spurred by the conversation about Tori, and it seems Masazumi and Tori are familiar with one another and have some kind of relationship.
Masazumi, being the vice president of the student council, is Tori's deputy, so of course they are familiar with one another.

Kettch

Cube

Had to look up the director after that first episode, and of course, it's a SHAFT guy. This is an absolute pleasure to watch and the second episode is definitely interesting enough, just a question now of how coherent it'll be (second episode was a bit worrying in that regard). Should tide me over until the new Bakemonogatari at least.

Geneijin

wsippel said:
Masazumi, being the vice president of the student council, is Tori's deputy, so of course they are familiar with one another.
I'm talking specifically about their past relationship 10 years ago when Horizon died. Well, meant.

My mistake.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
Marimite > Yamato. At least I knew what I was getting into with Marimite.

The DVD release depends on how popular it got. More popular = later DVD release. This is why we're not getting Kokuriko until at least mid next year since its still charting at the box office.

I'm hoping for a Spring release for Usagi Drop. I need my cuteness in BluRay.

I'm hoping for an Asian release, since I presume this movie is actually somewhat big in the Asian-lands.

wsippel

Banned
Geneijin said:
I'm talking specifically about their past relationship 10 years ago when Horizon died. Well, meant.

My mistake.
Did something really hint at such a relationship? I mean, reaching ten years back? Didn't notice. Then again, it is confusing as hell, and the translation only adds to the confusion from what I can tell.

Geneijin

wsippel said:
Did something really hint at such a relationship? I mean, reaching ten years back? Didn't notice. Then again, it is confusing as hell, and the translation only adds to the confusion from what I can tell.
Nah, you're right. I confused something in the exposition about Tori with Masazumi. She only arrived in Musashi since a year ago from Mikawa.

Ezalc

Kimi to Boku 2
I gave this another chance after that incredibly boring first episode but I don't think I can keep watching this. Boring show, with boring characters and now they introduce a tsundere and she's not even the good kind. FFS what kind of a man is embarrassed of letting a childhood friend see that they have some idol magazines. My hopes for a brotastic show have been dashed and I am utterly disappointed, dropped.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
icarus-daedelus said:
It was late and I was slightly distracted by my kitten, but I don't remember having any issues whatsoever so far other than episode 2 being pretty flat due to aforementioned spoiled pengu antics.

No, wait, one episode didn't have any seizon senryaku (I think?) and it nearly broke my heart.
And glasses guy is still pretty dull but don't tell Krev I said that.
I heard you...
But yeah, you're right, the show is that awesome.

the show is better.

after Mirai Nikki, Penguindrum is like a shooting star of hope in the darkness of space-time.

---

Shinryaku!? Ika Musume/Squid Girl 2 Goes on 2-Week Hiatus

No new episodes on October 24, November 7

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-10-11/2nd-squid-girl-tv-anime-goes-on-2-week-hiatus

RxE9R.png

Dynedom

zeroshiki said:
They should be. Those types of endings are total bullshit.

Mai-Hime spoilers
Oh shit I've killed off too many characters, let's just press this huge red reset button over here

The only reason I didn't have a problem with the ending is because Mai-Hime never struck me as that kind of a show. The ending happening was exactly what I was predicting once
a bunch of key characters were getting killed off

cajunator

Banned
EmmanuelMunoz said:
Don't you usually post from work anyway?
shhh!

Yes if the night is not bonkers.

Dynedom said:
The only reason I didn't have a problem with the ending is because Mai-Hime never struck me as that kind of a show. The ending happening was exactly what I was predicting once

Yeah that show really threw out logic and common sense in favor of D E M

So after making a list to help remember when shows air, I see that I'm going to be watching 9 shows, assuming I didn't forget any and don't drop any.

working, guilty crown, mirai, bento, horizon, maken-ki, fate, pendrum, and boku wa

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
EmmanuelMunoz said:
Don't you usually post from work anyway?

I try to, but it's hard as my comp is blocked from all forums. Typing on my iPhone is a pain. >>. But better than nothing I suppose.

zeroshiki

Dynedom said:

Mai-HiMe

Its not like they ever got a sequel so finishing it up like that was a kick in the nuts to people who got invested in the show.

firehawk12 said:
I'm hoping for an Asian release, since I presume this movie is actually somewhat big in the Asian-lands.

Wait, Bunny Drop or Yamato? Yamato, I say maybe. Bunny Drop I'm not so sure. Its run is actually over now so its not like it was a big hit.

Steroyd

C³ - 02

Well for a whole episode and a half C³ was unispiring, then it shifts into some Soul Eater like psychotic bitches type show... me likes.

Steroyd

Hunter x Hunter (old) - 16

Holy crap Killua
ripped out a guys heart
. The show was relatively tame till this episode. O_O

PdotMichael said:
If you watch Mirai Nikki then, please, for Minene and not for Yuno.

Or both in my case because they are my 2 favorite characters in the series.

InfiniteNine said:
Just because she is one of the reasons to watch it doesn't make her the only one! I take them both for entertainment purposes.

Quite

Jex

Miri said:
Horizon 2

My assumptions from the last ep were wrong. This show is ranges from great to flat out horrible, with the scenes that include Smugdouche being the only great ones. There is no middle ground. Same goes for the OST. One minute you'll have Prince in a candle lit room on a casio and in the next you'll have Nobuo Uematsu on that same casio but with an orchestral sound bank. I am liking that particular mess.
It's an impressively unparalleled mess, like when they try to fit in a huge amount of character back-story in 2 minutes of flat-out exposition. Utterly terrible.

NewFresh

Jexhius said:
It's an impressively unparalleled mess, like when they try to fit in a huge amount of character back-story in 2 minutes of flat-out exposition. Utterly terrible.
This makes me glad I decided to drop it. Even though it seems like one of those shows a lot of people will be talking about.

Jex

[Live Action Yamato]
zeroshiki said:
I have a copy. Its... really bad :lol

And its supposed to be this big budget action movie with famous actors up the wazoo.
Isn't it supposed to be all gritty, like the modern Battlestar Galacticca?
PdotMichael said:
Shinryaku!? Ika Musume/Squid Girl 2 Goes on 2-Week Hiatus

No new episodes on October 24, November 7
In other words, the deluge of puns has been temporarily stated.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
This makes me glad I decided to drop it. Even though it seems like one of those shows a lot of people will be talking about.
It must make the original author happy to see that at least a few people feel compelled to waste their time trying to sort out his mess.

scy

EmmanuelMunoz said:

The show is unbelievably amazing at generating walls of text.

hosannainexcelsis said:
It must make the original author happy to see that at least a few people feel compelled to waste their time trying to sort out his mess.

Pfft, I tried solving Umineko. This is nothing.

BluWacky

I'm just amazed that people found Horizon interesting enough to devote time to working it out. The first episode couldn't even hold my interest to pay enough attention to realise there WAS anything to work out - I suppose it was an effective way to introduce an enormous cast of characters but it doesn't exactly lend itself to endearing a viewer to care about any of them beyond their surface quirks (maybe that's the point?). And the lead character doesn't seem interesting, just irritating - oh look, a hyper-competent pervert, how droll.

So far I've only found Chihayafuru interesting this season. My three most anticipated shows - Un-Go, Last Exile 2 and Guilty Crown - have yet to premiere, so I'm not worried. Pingdrum is more than enough goodness for any year.

Branduil

icarus-daedelus said:
Ok, now I see what you guys were complaining about with pengu 10. Distractingly, hilariously derpy art, like they were struck by amnesia and forgot how to draw the characters. I liked the episode otherwise, though.
But what about episode 9? It was pretty great, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom