• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

Jexhius said:
[Penguin Drum 14]

I don't think that's entirely a pacing issue, so much as how you've chosen to read a certain a character.
I've been thinking that Yuri has been untrustworthy for ages, so this is fine from a story point of view. But I agree, it needed at least one or two episodes focused on it, or the whole episode

On a separate note, I can't say that I'm pleased with how the show portrayed
the lead up to that 'rape' scene. It was far too indulgent and fanservice-y for my liking. It seemed to suggest that the viewer should be excited by this spectacle, so there's some titillation to get you on board. It's really quite unseemly, considering the content.

What did we really know about
Yuri? We knew she was an actress....and that she told Ringo she couldn't win against her (revealing a competitiveness, I guess) but there was absolutely nothing to suggest that her body was strange, or that she was a lesbian rapist
. I think two or three episodes would have been much better, but I guess Ikuhara didn't have the episodes left to fit it in.

The whole episode was weirdly
fanservice heavy for me. From Yuri nude, to the other actresses cleavage, to Jury-Senpai in a swimsuit, and then to the weird onsen scene, and the rape scene itself with Ringo blushing like she was enjoying it or something.
Very off-putting.

Also....
Yuri is into Japanese bondage eh? Kinky

Halycon said:
Pengu 14:
Much much much more enjoyable than episode 13, except for
Shoma's nonsense mood swing.

FAITH IN IKUHARA RESTORED.

I thought the
mood swing fit. Their entire lives since the incident have involved trying to cover up the incident, and trying to make sure people don't find out that their parents were involved. It's inferred that whenever someone found out, they distanced themselves from them, leaving them with each other. Knowing that she knows, Shouma thinks she's just like the rest, and that she'll end up hating them

Jexhius said:
[Penguin Drum 14]

I'm not suggesting I knew that, but something was very clearly off. If you were taking the characters at face value, you were doing it wrong.

I didn't take
her at face value. I don't know what was clearly off about her though. She always seemed pleasant enough to me. Obviously I knew that she'd fit into the plot somehow, but I didn't know she'd be completely fucked in the head.

Jex

[Penguin Drum 14]

LordCanti said:
What did we really know about
Yuri? We knew she was an actress....and that she told Ringo she couldn't win against her (revealing a competitiveness, I guess) but there was absolutely nothing to suggest that her body was strange, or that she was a lesbian rapist
I'm not suggesting I knew that, but something was very clearly off. If you were taking the characters at face value, you were doing it wrong.

/XX/

Halycon said:
Pengu 14:
Much much much more enjoyable than episode 13, except for
Shoma's nonsense mood swing.
This is something I didn't feel as particularly well expressed in this two last episodes, but that I can somewhat understand.

Shōma's re-opened wounds from abandonment, and subsequent reject of any kind off compassion towards him (even if misunderstood) is a reaction I find understandable (and seems related to what an orphan would express, but I don't want to go that way for the moment...), I think there is more to what we have seen for that reaction...

Jexhius said:
From that kind of shifty, unexplored characters in a show like this, you can expect everything!

LordCanti said:
I thought the
mood swing fit. Their entire lives since the incident have involved trying to cover up the incident, and trying to make sure people don't find out that their parents were involved. It's inferred that whenever someone found out, they distanced themselves from them, leaving them with each other. Knowing that she knows, Shouma thinks she's just like the rest, and that she'll end up hating them

This is much better than what I said. I agree with you, LordCanti.

Jex

LordCanti said:
I thought the
I agree, that really made sense from a character perspective.

scy

All my friends are dead 02 - Minus the fanservice-y parts, this is basically what I wanted out of this adaptation. Just ... just wish some of the obvious Sena and Yozora fanservice was toned down. Looking forward to the
Boobsmith bits and them skipping to Sena's date and Yozora's backstory

And the OP is growing on me, I may need help.

Mawaru Penguindrum 13 - A week late and ... wait, what? Oh come on,
undoing that so soon?
They're getting a lot of mileage out of the fate speeches, though. Oh well, the power of haaato
and incest
. Anyway, things develop from Episode 12; I'll just leave it at that.

Sanetoshi's segment is a little ... hm. Confusing? Intriguing? It's a lot of things, I suppose. Also, I still seek the inevitable Ringo raping ending up with Shoma end.

Mawaru Penguindrum 14 - So getting right into the thick of thi---wat. Just ... wat. The beginning of this episode hurt my fabulous meter. And ... what? Oh Ikuhara. Oh you. FABULOUS MAX. And shiny car max.

I figured that
there'd be a lot more to Yuri, but I kind of expected darkness and cruelty and murder, not uh ... not this.
This episode also hurts my
Shoma x Ringo feelings; stop being emo, bro, and nail the crazy lady. His treatment of her is going against 13 episodes worth of my feelings. I mean, it makes perfect sense, unfortunately, given what we know of him and their past structure but still :/

Oh well, looks like at least somebody
nails Ringo. I guess.

Also, was
Momoka a harem anime protagonist or something? Sheesh.

Articalys

Mawaru Penguindrum 14

Well.
That sure was something.
Also, dat endcard.

LordCanti said:
Did anyone else notice that
Double-H is wearing Himari's mufflers in the ED video?
Yes! I thought that was a neat touch.

RedSwirl

Did my last post vanish from this thread?!

I'm just trying to figure out why that new Last Exile hasn't started yet. They delay it?

cajunator

Banned
Im watching episode 14 of Pengi Dramu now and I don't see anything wrong with the car. It is actually an accurately modeled Jaguar XK. I have seen MUCH worse modeled cars in anime. As for how shiny it is, a little bit of a high end wax job will make any car shine that way.

trejo

Penguindrum 14

Goddammit Ikuhara you just couldn't help it, could you? You magnificent bastard.

Episode was awesome. I don't know what everyone's going on about.

1stStrike

Banned
Oh anime guru's, I'm in need of a recommendation. I've got a craving for a good anime movie, preferably something action oriented, that will keep me entertained long enough to enjoy my popcorn.

For reference: Something similar to Karas, especially in animation quality and story, would be amazing.

Risette

A Good Citizen
1stStrike said:
Oh anime guru's, I'm in need of a recommendation. I've got a craving for a good anime movie, preferably something action oriented, that will keep me entertained long enough to enjoy my popcorn.

For reference: Something similar to Karas, especially in animation quality and story, would be amazing.
Sword of the Stranger

e_i

RedSwirl said:
Did my last post vanish from this thread?!

I'm just trying to figure out why that new Last Exile hasn't started yet. They delay it?

It has aired. NicoNico won't have subs until Monday however.

1stStrike

Banned
Oh man, there's so many. Let's see what I can think of off the top of my head:

- Legend of the Millennium Dragon
- Redline
- Karas
- Laputa Castle in the Sky
- Bleach: The Hell Verse
- Eden of the East
- Gundam 00: Awakening of the Trailblazer
- Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door
- Origin: Spirits of the Forest
- Trigun: Badlands Rumble
- Sword of the Stranger
- Mardock Scramble: The First Compression
- King of Thorn

That's everything in recent memory.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Penguindrum 14 was not as good as the last three episodes, but still twisty enough to be interesting. Direction was the weakest it's been in a while.
Neither
Shoma's rejection of Ringo
nor
Yuri turning out to be completely twisted
seemed out of character or out of the blue to me.

I'm really worried about
Ringo. Fate really hates her, doesn't it?

trejo

Well for now I'll just go with the prerequisite Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars recommendations. They're not action movies so not exactly what you're looking for but they're good in their own right.

Also You Are Umasou has breakdancing and kickboxing dinosaurs in addition of being genuinely good as well.

And you could always try watching any Ghibli film you may have missed.

1stStrike

Banned
cajunator said:
If you are willing to watch older OVAS/movies you should check out stuff like Iria: Zeiram the animation or Riding Bean too.

I actually saw this when I was a kid and just recently re-watched Iria. That is pretty much the series that got me into anime, so I tracked it down and re-watched it. Even the old japanese live action movies (which were terrible, but eh - watchable).

trejo said:
Well for now I'll just go with the prerequisite Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars recommendations. They're not action movies so not exactly what you're looking for but they're great in their own right.

I saw both of those as well and enjoyed them.

This is going to be difficult lol. I've watched a lot of anime movies over the years, but I'm sure there's been plenty I've missed. Just need to find 'em.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Penguin drum 14 - One of the worst episodes in the series easily, the direction was completely off, there was a clear lack of energy and momentum in a number of the sequences and as a result felt like "stuff happening" with no sense of mood driving it, although i still found the episode to be fairly enjoyable with some good stuff like the first few minutes and dat stylized cg car at least, so it wasn't all bad.

Idolm@ster 15 - One of the best episodes in the series easily, unique premise, lots of LOL moments, great direction and that movie trailer.<3 i was worried the show would lose some of it's craziness of some of the earlier episodes, but it appears to be not the case here. Next weeks preview looks like SRS business though.:eek:

Ezalc

Penguin Drum 14

Everybodyisgettingfabulousmax'd.jpg

Only thing that bothered me was that fucking car. Was it automatic was it a stickshift, we'll never know.

trejo

1stStrike said:
This is going to be difficult lol. I've watched a lot of anime movies over the years, but I'm sure there's been plenty I've missed. Just need to find 'em.
Well, there's also Brave Story. It's not really all that good but if you're just looking for a popcorn flick to watch it should suffice.

cajunator

Banned
Ezalc said:
Penguin Drum 14

Everybodyisgettingfabulousmax'd.jpg

Only thing that bothered me was that fucking car. Was it automatic was it a stickshift, we'll never know.
A lot of luxury cars have seamless gearboxes that combine both types.
Hell even my Ford Fusion has a manual mode, although it is very limited. Gearboxes have become engineering marvels an can be adapted to do just about anything.

1stStrike said:
I actually saw this when I was a kid and just recently re-watched Iria. That is pretty much the series that got me into anime, so I tracked it down and re-watched it.

If you liked Iria, then check out Armitage the Third. Not the shitty Dual Matrix second movie either.

1stStrike

Banned
trejo said:
Well, there's also Brave Story. It's not really all that good but if you're just looking for a popcorn flick to watch it should suffice.

Saw that one as well a couple years ago. It's, as you say, not that great but it was watchable.

Sigh. I'm gonna search the interwebs some more and see if I can track something down. I have some sort of insatiable thirst for anime movies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
1stStrike said:
Oh man, there's so many. Let's see what I can think of off the top of my head:

- Legend of the Millennium Dragon
- Redline
- Karas
- Laputa Castle in the Sky
- Bleach: The Hell Verse
- Eden of the East
- Gundam 00: Awakening of the Trailblazer
- Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door
- Origin: Spirits of the Forest
- Trigun: Badlands Rumble
- Sword of the Stranger
- Mardock Scramble: The First Compression
- King of Thorn

That's everything in recent memory.
Castle of Cagliostro?

cajunator

Banned
Naomi Armitage was so cute in her hotpants
armitage.jpg

1stStrike

Banned
Aigis said:
Castle of Cagliostro?

Hmm, Lupin. I've never watched the anime or any of the movies - and that one is pretty dated by the looks of it. Would I need to know anything about the series to be able to enjoy it? I'm kind of a animation whore so I tend to have a hard time watching a movie with really old animation. That's one of the reasons that movies like Karas, Origin, etc. appeal to me.

Ezalc

cajunator said:
A lot of luxury cars have seamless gearboxes that combine both types.
Hell even my Ford Fusion has a manual mode, although it is very limited. Gearboxes have become engineering marvels an can be adapted to do just about anything.

Well fabulous max me in the butt I did not know such a thing existed.

trejo

1stStrike said:
Hmm, Lupin. I've never watched the anime or any of the movies - and that one is pretty dated by the looks of it. Would I need to know anything about the series to be able to enjoy it? I'm kind of a animation whore so I tend to have a hard time watching a movie with really old animation. That's one of the reasons that movies like Karas, Origin, etc. appeal to me.
Castle of Cagliostro is pretty timeless so I think you'll be fine. And no, being well versed in all things Lupin is not really required.

cajunator

Banned
1stStrike said:
It is the only Lupin dvd I have and trust me, you dont have to know anything about Lupin other than he is an awesome thief and Fujiko is fucking hot.

1stStrike said:

Cagliostro is directed by Hayao Miyazaki. It was the first Lupin I ever saw, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The art and animation is excellent. There's no reason not to watch it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
1stStrike said:
I'm so mad right now.

1stStrike

Banned
trejo said:
Castle of Cagliostro is pretty timeless so I think you'll be fine. And no, being well versed in all things Lupin is not really required.

cajunator said:
It is the only Lupin dvd I have and trust me, you dont have to know anything about Lupin other than he is an awesome thief and Fujiko is fucking hot.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Cagliostro is directed by Hayao Miyazaki. It was the first Lupin I ever saw, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The art and animation is excellent. There's no reason not to watch it.

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

Aigis said:
I'm so mad right now.

I'm not surprised. I tend to be really picky, and I'm a graphics whore. I'm not ashamed to admit that I've not watched a movie before just because it looked terrible to me.

That being said, I'll at least give it a shot, so I'll see how it goes.

Risette

A Good Citizen
1stStrike said:
I'm not surprised. I tend to be really picky, and I'm a graphics whore. I'm not ashamed to admit that I've not watched a movie before just because it looked terrible to me.

That being said, I'll at least give it a shot, so I'll see how it goes.
No, it's not that. Age has nothing to do with animation quality.

1stStrike

Banned
Aigis said:
No, it's not that. Age has nothing to do with animation quality.

I'll show you a comparison -

Ashita no Joe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9flDw-JApg&feature=related

vs

Hajime no Ippo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Nz63kvkKA

Ashita looks so dated and slow in comparison. I realize that it's, you know, like 30 years old - but I just find it very difficult to watch something that old when I've been spoiled by more modern movies that are absolutely stunning in their presentation and animation quality in comparison.

It's not a fair comparison, at all, but that's how it is.

trejo

I can't believe I'm gonna say this but oh how I wish 7th wasn't banned right now.

And dude, Dezaki is the shit. It's cool if you feel that way but know that something being aged doesn't necessarily make it bad.

Risette

A Good Citizen
1stStrike said:
Ashita looks so dated and slow in comparison. I realize that it's, you know, like 30 years old - but I just find it very difficult to watch something that old when I've been spoiled by more modern movies that are absolutely stunning in their presentation and animation quality in comparison.

It's not a fair comparison, at all, but that's how it is.
Why are you comparing TV series (Joe looks better btw) and then talking about movies? Movies are different beasts entirely, and if anything, old movies in general are bigger visual stunners. Akira is still unmatched in animation quality and it's over 20 years old.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Personamon 4: Gotta Fuse 'em All! 02: Yukiko's Japanese VA is somehow dorkier than the English one. Speaking of which, I'm really disappointed that they did not take cues from the Atlus localisation of the game. Teddie > Kuma, and Yosuke calling Chie "Satonaka" borks my brain.

The transition to the battle screen from the game during the fight against Shadow Yosuke was amazingly hilarious. Plus I loved how they played I'll Face Myself during it despite not necessarily working for this medium. Shoji Meguro is stealing the show -I love the new ending song, and I'm fucking happy that he brought Lotus Juice back. Hopefully that means good shit for Persona 5.

P.S. I hope I wasn't the only one expecting Charlie to rank up with Teddie at any moment when the Social Link music started playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom