• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
firehawk12 said:
Bandai did what they did because they're desperate. Aniplex is doing this because they know people will buy it. They probably could have sold the box set for 400 dollars if they wanted to.
With how casual piracy is in the Anime community I just can't see people buying over priced volumes when they already have the Japanese blu-rays on their hard drive. The move of companies like Funimation to the by season model was because their shows weren't selling until the box set came out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hellsing321 said:
With how casual piracy is in the Anime community I just can't see people buying over priced volumes when they already have the Japanese blu-rays on their hard drive. The move of companies like Funimation to the by season model was because their shows weren't selling until the box set came out.
That's the thing, Madoka is something that is still hot enough that people will buy it. If they do some time limited thing on the sets like they did with Baccano, they might even sell out pre-orders.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Bandai did what they did because they're desperate. Aniplex is doing this because they know people will buy it. They probably could have sold the box set for 400 dollars if they wanted to.
Bandai Japan did it because they were dumb and so, rightly, they perished (in the American market).

Really, when you look at the total mess of physical release pricing the streaming model seems more and more attractive.

cajunator

Banned
Bandi sold cool extras with some of their series.
I have Galaxy angel and that came with an entire mini figurine set as well as some pencil boards. Come to think of it, the Scrapped Princess series were Bandai too.

Risette

A Good Citizen
firehawk12 said:
That's the thing, Madoka is something that is still hot enough that people will buy it. If they do some time limited thing on the sets like they did with Baccano, they might even sell out pre-orders.
The show will be over a year old when the first volume comes out.

It's going to backfire on Aniplex, hard. And they will deserve every bit of it.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Madoka is really the hot thing that maybe people might actually really buy. Not a lot of them, but a reasonable amount.

scy

I don't necessarily mind the prices when the extras are "worth" it, but the prices do basically limit me from just going "sweet, buying that!" to "did I/will I enjoy that or not?" instead. I impulse buy a lot less and just wait for things to go down in price.

Like, I still haven't seen Madoka and that price tag basically means I'm not going out on a limb for it, really. Well, maybe. Word of mouth is strong enough around it as is :/

Risette

A Good Citizen
cajunator said:
But you guys are well aware that 70$ isn't really a lot to a collector.
There are models and figurines that go for that much.
$40 per 4ep volume is a joke, let alone $70.

cajunator

Banned
correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a relatively cheap version that is DVD only?
Most people will buy that. Only the crazy otaku types will buy the expensive version for the extra shit.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Also even Bandai has abandoned the 4ep overpriced volume model. Star Driver is two 12ep sets at $35 each. LOL Aniplex

Jex

Aigis said:
Also even Bandai has abandoned the 4ep overpriced volume model. Star Driver is two 12ep sets at $35 each. LOL Aniplex
It's possible that Aniplex had to play some stupidly high price to secure Madoka which means they now have to transfer that price onto the consumer. In which case, it's Japan being dumb, again.

cajunator said:
correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a relatively cheap version that is DVD only?
Most people will buy that. Only the crazy otaku types will buy the expensive version for the extra shit.
$30 for a DVD with 4 eps isn't "relatively cheap" either.

Ezalc

Im@s 14
I totally want that movie to be a real thing. That was easily the best part of the whole episode :lol. I really enjoyed the laid back feel of the episode, and I'm going to need a gif of the Makoto bish sparkles.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
It's possible that Aniplex had to play some stupidly high price to secure Madoka which means they now have to transfer that price onto the consumer. In which case, it's Japan being dumb, again.
But that still makes no sense because the number of customers they lose by pricing it that high will probably cost them more money than if it was reasonably priced.

Risette

A Good Citizen
cajunator said:
It's cheap enough.
About on par for a typical newly released Bluray movie.
Nobody charges MSRP for Blu-rays. Most releases are $15-20.

Niche collectors stuff like Criterion releases are $20-35 (depends if the set is just a keepcase or a digipak with another disc and a booklet etc) and are much more worthwhile than 4eps of animu on DVD.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Branduil said:
Hajime no Ippo 4

The old man says technical boxing is useless, you just need shounen haato. Of course Ippo has been doing nothing but learning techniques so I'm not sure that's really true.
This actually gets addressed at some point.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aigis said:
The show will be over a year old when the first volume comes out.

It's going to backfire on Aniplex, hard. And they will deserve every bit of it.

Jexhius said:
Madoka is really the hot thing that maybe people might actually really buy. Not a lot of them, but a reasonable amount.

Heh. Honestly, to me this is a Left4Dead2 situation. People are going to complain and then buy the sets anyway.

Branduil

firehawk12 said:
Heh. Honestly, to me this is a Left4Dead2 situation. People are going to complain and then buy the sets anyway.
No, I don't think that's a very good comparison. At those prices most people just aren't going to buy it.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
I...really don't think so.

For a start, the ease of piracy for anime vs a Steam game.

Many fans of that show have probably already pirated it, where as in the case of Left 4 Dead 2 it hadn't come out.

Fans of the show would be buying it to support the creators, where as you'd buy a game so that you could actually experience it.

Left 4 Dead 2 was priced at an average price. Madoka will be above average.

Etc.

They're not even doing it at the height of it's popularity.

Risette

A Good Citizen
firehawk12 said:
Nothing alike at all.

And I'm not buying these at any price. It's just interesting to see another US anime company setting itself up for death in the same way as all the others.

Articalys

Massive wave of Funimation simulcasts just announced, rendering my previous list void:

The anime distributor Funimation and the video-streaming service Niconico announced at New York Comic Con on Friday that they will stream the following anime titles as they air in Japan:

Shakugan no Shana III (Final)
Mirai Nikki
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
C3
Maken-Ki!

Funimation and Niconico will also stream the previously announced titles Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing and Guilty Crown. The new anime titles will begin streaming on Friday.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ms-shana-iii-future-diary-haganai-c3-maken-ki

This is part of a broader new agreement between Funi and the English NicoNico site:
The anime distributor Funimation and the video-streaming service Niconico announced on Friday that they are co-licensing anime for streaming and home video releases overseas. To that end, the two companies have formed and co-own a new joint venture, Funico, that will handle licensing for both. Going forward, Niconico will stream Funico-licensed titles, and Funimation will release Funico-licensed titles on home video.

The two companies emphasize that, in addition to physical home video media, Funico-licensed titles will be available through download-to-own options such as those that Funimation use for its current titles. They also told ANN that they intend to license anime for more countries than the United States and Canada — as much as the Japanese licensors and existing international agreements allow on a case-by-case basis.

Separately, Niconico told ANN that its English-language streaming service will offer high-definition video for both free and paid users.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-10-14/funimation-niconico-to-jointly-license-anime

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
I...really don't think so.

For a start, the ease of piracy for anime vs a Steam game.

Many fans of that show have probably already pirated it, where as in the case of Left 4 Dead 2 it hadn't come out.

Fans of the show would be buying it to support the creators, where as you'd buy a game so that you could actually experience it.

Left 4 Dead 2 was priced at an average price. Madoka will be above average.

Etc.

They're not even doing it at the height of it's popularity.

Aigis said:
Nothing alike at all.

And I'm not buying these at any price. It's just interesting to see another US anime company setting itself up for death in the same way as all the others.

I think you're both underestimating anime nerds. Or nerds in general.

Dynedom

You don't need a membership for Funi, do you? I watched Guilty Crown 1 on it no problem. Only annoying thing was the barrage of ads, sometimes at nonsensical intervals.

Risette

A Good Citizen
cajunator said:
I know I'm not the only who buys these anime releases.
Obviously somebody else is supporting them too.
I buy lots of anime, as long as they're reasonably priced and of good quality. GITS BD excluded (on price, the quality is glorious and grainy) I suppose although that was only 23 before shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom