• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So, started watching Fairy Tail a couple weeks ago, have a question that goes into S2 spoiler territory:
Does the Erza/Jeral/everyone is a slave shit ever stop? Feels like the tower backstory well ran dry awhile ago, but new shitty slave villains keep popping up. Used to enjoy Ezra as a character but now I know every scene with her will be played thick with melodrama.

wonzo

Banned
yo animegaf, what episode order should i watch haruhi in? i'm thinking of checking it out after i finish utena and birdy decode.

Lyphen said:
So, started watching Fairy Tail a couple weeks ago, have a question that goes into S2 spoiler territory:
Does the Erza/Jeral/everyone is a slave shit ever stop? Feels like the tower backstory well ran dry awhile ago, but new shitty slave villains keep popping up. Used to enjoy Ezra as a character but now I know every scene with her will be played thick with melodrama.

Haven't been any since the Oracion Seis arc IIRC, but that doesn't mean the plot point won't be referenced again. Jelal and Ultear are pretty central figures to the series.

Branduil

wonzo said:
yo animegaf, what episode order should i watch haruhi in? i'm thinking of checking it out after i finish utena and birdy decode.
First season: airing order if you prefer being somewhat confused with a climax at the end of the season. Chronological if you prefer it that way.

Second season: Skip all of Endless Eight except the last episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
wonzo said:
I would say the original broadcast order for season 1, but I suppose that doesn't matter much anymore.

wsippel

Banned
Guilty Crown 1

Can't stand the protagonist. Hope he grows some balls soon. Other than that, I enjoyed it. Don't expect it to dethrone Horizon, but I like the premise and the presentation, and it was nicely directed (as expected).

/XX/

Holy Mr. Amemiya's (plus Mr. Imaishi) Super Robots! No plots, no canon... a little bit as in episode 1, a complementary perspective, only with the idols doing their job... and what an amount of liberties this gives! The staff (and eventual friends) know how to take advantage of the moments beyond-the-bounds and own them.

wonzo said:

Before the movie came out, I would have said broadcast order. Now it doesn't really matter as much since the movie is such a great end cap for the series.

LordCanti

Penguindrum 14:

Only a few minutes in but...
Oh my God, why do they not want to save anime anymore? Dropping something like that...in the first couple of minutes....no buildup, no hints just...Lesbian.....

Edit: What the fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, this I can't abide. Yeah, her name is Yuri. Maybe she has a penis, who knows. But this came out of got'damn nowhere. I don't like it. Not one bit.

Dynedom

Lyphen said:

You get a bit more of it with
Oracion Seis
and then it's not really referenced again until much later (and it's sort of a one-off reference in a fight). That part also hasn't been animated yet.

BluWacky

LordCanti said:
Penguindrum 14:

Oh my God, why do they not want to save anime anymore? Dropping something like that...in the first couple of minutes....no buildup, no hints just...Lesbian.....

Her NAME is clue enough. And you ain't seen nothing yet.

wonzo

Banned
Branduil said:
First season: airing order if you prefer being somewhat confused with a climax at the end of the season. Chronological if you prefer it that way.

Second season: Skip all of Endless Eight except the last episode.
firehawk12 said:
I would say the original broadcast order for season 1, but I suppose that doesn't matter much anymore.
Hellsing321 said:
Before the movie came out, I would have said broadcast order. Now it doesn't really matter as much since the movie is such a great end cap for the series.
cheers, i'll definitely keep that in mind

im@s 15:
episode was pretty good up until the
Giant Robo reference
, that's when it became amazing.

BluWacky

Last Exile II

I haven't watched the original series in a long time but this doesn't feel much like I remember Last Exile. It has the same ridiculous Greek transliterations and slightly ropey CG (you'd think nearly a decade later it would be significantly better, but apparently not), but the atmosphere is just totally different.

It's mostly down to the story and characters, but weirdly enough it strikes me as being an artistic thing as well. Clearly there's not quite so much cash behind this one as there was behind the original, but the colour palette seems all wrong - I remember Last Exile as being all greys and swirling mists, at least to start with - lots of washed out colour. Here we're in a much more colourful world.

This reflects the overall mood of the show which is much less interesting. You don't have the sense of being swept up into a grand old mysterious adventure here in the way you did with the old show. Here, Fam is already an adventurer; there's no sense that she's embarking on anything particularly new that she doesn't understand in getting involved in the war.

For me I have to say that the decision to focus on the three teenage girls that seem to be the central cast is unappealing - Fam is happy-go-lucky girl, Giselle is the high-pitched-whiny-neurotic one, and Millia is a typical ojou-sama type. They're not completely unlikeable, but pretty much every other major character has the potential to be more interesting based both on the episode itself and on the hints in the OP.

I guess that I shouldn't let my desire to essentially see the same show again get in the way of enjoying a new one in a similar universe, but this hasn't grabbed me in the same way that the original show's first episode did.

I want old crazy Dio back ASAP. Bring on the inevitable reveal that the Ades Federation is the Guild! Plus we know we'll be seeing Alistia, Tatiana and Alvis again - but what of Claus and Lavi?

Dynedom

Penguindrum - 14

It certainly isn't an Ikuhara series without some good ol' fashioned
yuri lovin'

edit: No joke. The entire
hot spring to rape scene
was just "cot DAMN"

scy

Guilty Crown 01 - I'll say this, I really liked the song at the start. Sure, the lead seems a little wimpy now but, hey, I imagine/hope through the course of things that he'll grow into a real person.

I expected worse with some of the reactions; nothing seemed too offensive, really. Things look interesting and I'm curious to see where it goes. Plus, datInori and supercell.

ZoddGutts

LordCanti said:
Penguindrum 14:

Edit: What the fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, this I can't abide. Yeah, her name is Yuri. Maybe she has a penis, who knows. But this came out of got'damn nowhere. I don't like it. Not one bit.

Also hints that she may be
Futanari

Andrew J.

Guilty Crown 01

Pretty entertaining opener. I liked Code Geass, I should like this.

Mawaru Penguindrum 14

MY MIND IS FULL OF FUCK
AND LESBIANS

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Dynedom said:
You get a bit more of it with
Oracion Seis
and then it's not really referenced again until much later (and it's sort of a one-off reference in a fight). That part also hasn't been animated yet.
Thank you. I was about to dump the show, as every 'emotional' scene was getting so horribly ham-fisted.

DiGiKerot

BluWacky said:
I hope they follow through on international availability. Funimation have been somewhat less than wonderful at allowing us European scum to view simulcasts.

At least part of that has been due to them streaming through Hulu, and their Youtube content does, at least, tend to be unlocked when they have UK rights to the show (which they have an alarming habit of picking up and doing nothing with).

But, yeah, it's nice that this stuff is becoming more available for those in the Americans (even if NNDs current streaming standards leave a lot to be desired), but the increased market fragmentation is starting to get rather worrying for those of us elsewhere in the world.

Dynedom

Lyphen said:
Thank you. I was about to dump the show, as every 'emotional' scene was getting so horribly ham-fisted.

You're not going to like the Edolas arc. Some of the emotional stuff can go a bit overboard. It doesn't get as bad as the original Erza/Jellal arc does though. It might not be so bad, in hindsight.

Jex

Penguin Drum 14

I don't think this was particularly well directed. The obvious short-cuts in animation, combined with poor editing and awkward scene arrangement failed to create a sense of mood or place. Which is pretty dangerous, when you're trying to tell these kind of events. You really need to sell it to the audience. This really failed to do that.

I mean, with this kind of content, the instant you do it wrong it goes way overboard. This isn't how you should be doing it.

Hmm. Not good.

I guess this is the guy behind episode 11? He really can't do emotional scenes very well, apparently.

LordCanti

Dynedom said:
Might want to spoiler tag that a bit.

And yes, if it doesn't turn out that way, it's the ultimate Ikuhara troll.

She could
just have nothing down there at all

In any case, I don't like it.
There was no foreshadowing of this. It's the weakest reveal so far in this show. What's next? Is Himari a serial killer? Will we find out when she murders Double H?

I like where the series is going with Kanba
doing some dirty work to save Himari
but if Himari
screws Sanetoshi
I'll lose my shit.

Go_Ly_Dow

Mawaru Penguindrum 14

Bahahaha!

Can't wait for more reactions!

Popcorn-14-Jimmy-Fallon.gif

LordCanti

Dynedom said:
In any case:

Ringo the rapist > Yuri the rapist

Ringo had the good sense to
completely knock Tabuki out before almost raping him, while Yuri only half-knocked her out.
I agree with your accessment.

Also,
she'll get saved by Jury-Senpai
right?

Dynedom

LordCanti said:
Ringo had the good sense to
completely knock Tabuki out before almost raping him, while Yuri only half-knocked her out.
I agree with your accessment.

Also,
she'll get saved by Jury-Senpai
right?

Is it still considered
losing your virginity if it's with a lesbian
?

Real talk.

Dynedom

LordCanti said:
If that
Lesbian
has a
penis
I think so. Otherwise no.

!!!

The greatest thing Ikuhara can do to salvage this is to
cut to after the rape (i.e. Ringo isn't saved) WITHOUT revealing if Yuri is a futanari or not and leaving it as a hanging plot device as to whether Ringo is still a virgin or not (i.e. does Yuri have le penis).
Imagine the meltdowns!

LordCanti

Dynedom said:
!!!

The greatest thing Ikuhara can do to salvage this is to
cut to after the rape (i.e. Ringo isn't saved) WITHOUT revealing if Yuri is a futanari or not and leaving it as a hanging plot device as to whether Ringo is still a virgin or not (i.e. does Yuri have le penis).
Imagine the meltdowns!

I wasn't on the
crazy ass Ringo bandwagon
like some others, but even I don't
think her getting raped would be a good plot device.
. If
Yuri seduced her
somehow, that would be a good plot device. I'm just bothered by how
sudden the change was. She went from zero to rapist in an episode. Ringo went from stalker to rapist over the course of weeks. Not nearly the same

Not one of the best episodes for me.

Oh and... Initial D, that is all.

jman2050

Penguins 14

Well this is a rather interesting direction to go in.
I'm no yuri (the genre(?), not the person) fan, but I do like the idea of taking the whole "Ringo wanting to be Momoka" story they built up and completely turning it on its head. Will have to see how they followup though.

Story details aside, the execution for a good part of this episode just wasn't there and that's unfortunate.

Dynedom

LordCanti said:
I wasn't on the
. If
Yuri seduced her
sudden the change was. She went from zero to rapist in an episode. Ringo went from stalker to rapist over the course of weeks. Not nearly the same

Not one of the best episodes for me.

Yeah the transition was very jarring as you, Jexhius and countless others pointed out. It makes me worried if the pacing is starting to crank up now. Is Ikuhara running out of episodes? Is it going to be a bombshell an episode now?

wonzo

Banned
penguins 14

lesbians, rapists getting raped and possible futa!?!? fabulous max!

saying that the directing of this episode was pretty damn weak

Jex

[Penguin Drum 14]

LordCanti said:
I wasn't on the
. If
Yuri seduced her
I don't think that's entirely a pacing issue, so much as how you've chosen to read a certain a character.
I've been thinking that Yuri has been untrustworthy for ages, so this is fine from a story point of view. But I agree, it needed at least one or two episodes focused on it, or the whole episode

On a separate note, I can't say that I'm pleased with how the show portrayed
the lead up to that 'rape' scene. It was far too indulgent and fanservice-y for my liking. It seemed to suggest that the viewer should be excited by this spectacle, so there's some titillation to get you on board. It's really quite unseemly, considering the content.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
MPD ep 14

sothe natsume family is a rival gang of the takakuras?

also now we know why yuri's name is yuri. :p

odds on her secret being she's actually a guy? >_>

/XX/

Momoka now seems a character so influential and prevalent that I don't know what to expect of her anymore!

Jexhius said:
I don't think this was particularly well directed. The obvious short-cuts in animation, combined with poor editing and awkward scene arrangement failed to create a sense of mood or place. Which is pretty dangerous, when you're trying to tell these kind of events. You really need to sell it to the audience. This really failed to do that.
Yes. I think those short-cuts, as you say, weren't much more obvious than in other episodes, but it was the way the episode was conducted what accentuated that sensation; uninspiring static pans and inefficiently dramatic medium and close shots, again and again. When you start to see how this is being shown instead of thinking what it is trying to achieve with it, you know something is going wrong...

Jex

/XX/ said:
Yes. I think those short-cuts, as you say, weren't much more obvious than in other episodes, but it was the way the episode was conducted what accentuated that sensation; uninspiring static pans and inefficiently dramatic medium and close shots, again and again.
The only way I can describe it is this - the particular direction he (the director) brought to the episode made me feel like I was watching an episode of some random b-grade anime. It did not have that factor which usually makes Penguin Drum feel polished and complete and special.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Pengu 14:
Much much much more enjoyable than episode 13, except for
Shoma's nonsense mood swing.

FAITH IN IKUHARA RESTORED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom