• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
darkside31337 said:
It's not really worth watching. Good harmless fun with tons of puns, but at the end of the day it's a poor man's Nichijou. Working'!! has been a lot better than it this season.
I don't even like Squid Girl, but Working'!!? Really?
pUGen.png

I can't even tell if Working'!! is trying to be funny. It is literally just the same things happening over and over again since like episode five. Are they jokes? It's a mystery. Maybe Working'!! is actually just another time travel/Groundhog Day anime in disguise.

Jex

Cwarrior said:
A mecha show with a female lead and lack of brolust in space would bomb harder then fractale.
I don't think many people care about whether it's a success or not!

Jex

[Penguin Drum 13 Spoilers]
Obsessed said:
Err whut?

How is it meaningless when her revival comes at a huge price and drives the story forward?
I wouldn't get involved in this kind of argument!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
PSPs won't make you many friends 02: This episode has been brought to you by Sony, makers of the Playing States Portable and Playing States 3. I have to admit, as a fan of Monster Hunter I got a kick out of all the little nods in the first half of the episode. The 2nd half was just as funny, with Yozora and Sena in perfect sync with their choices and character judgements. :p Watching Sena get so absorbed in the game was hilarious; if there was any doubt as to why she wants females friends instead of male friends, it's been quelled in this episode. It's still weird hearing Ohana's voice come from a huge-tittied chick though, hopefully I'll adjust.

Guilty Crown 01: Take the initials for Code Geass, reverse the order, and use different words (Code Geass -> CG -> GC .> Guilty Crown) and you know what you're getting into. I much prefer the artwork and animation for this one though; I think I'm going to keep watching.

Transforming Columbo has just one more question (and tits) 01: Well, Un-Go is off to an interesting start. I like the art style and animation, though anime creators really need to work on their in medias res technique; it's a bit jarring in this first episode. Still, definitely going to continue watching.

Thoraxes

Penguindrum 14
I'm not going to lie,
the rape scene really turned me on.
So Yuri is a childhood friend... what else about her body is horrible that she has to hide? I'm assuming Momoka still cared for her even though she was a lesbian, which is why she loved her, because she was accepting of that, but i'm wondering if there's more to her body that we aren't being told yet.
I hate angsty Shouma and hope someone slaps his shit.
Sanetoshi is fabulous as fuck.
I laughed a lot with the Esmeralda pictures scene and #1. It was hilarious.
Also, who is it Kanba is getting money from, and why is it and his actions putting him at risk? I know his part of his life is some of the cost, but I wonder what more there is to it.
Masako talking about him loving Himari was great too, as was Kanba's reaction and that slide kick.
Anime is saved another week. I'm wondering what's in store for 15, given what has been said by the writers/production about it.

/XX/

duckroll said:
Character Design: Yuusuke Kozaki
Mecha Design: Shigeto Koyama
Battleship Design: Mahiro Maeda
Logo Design: Hiroshi Hirata
Animation Production: BONES
Just curious, duckroll... you know if Mahiro Maeda is now a regular of BONES? This staff list doesn't have to mean anything as collaborations are frequent and he has acted as a freelancer before but, as you told me GONZO completely re-assembled, I don't know if Mr. Maeda is again involved with them...

duckroll

/XX/ said:
Just curious, duckroll... you know if Mahiro Maeda is now a regular of BONES? This staff list doesn't have to mean anything as collaborations are frequent and he has acted as a freelancer before but, as you told me GONZO completely re-assembled, I don't know if Mr. Maeda is again involved with them...

Mahiro Maeda is not a part of BONES. He is a freelance designer who still has very strong connections with GONZO staff.

jman2050

RurouniZel said:
PSPs won't make you many friends 02: This episode has been brought to you by Sony, makers of the Playing States Portable and Playing States 3. I have to admit, as a fan of Monster Hunter I got a kick out of all the little nods in the first half of the episode. The 2nd half was just as funny, with Yozora and Sena in perfect sync with their choices and character judgements. :p Watching Sena get so absorbed in the game was hilarious; if there was any doubt as to why she wants females friends instead of male friends, it's been quelled in this episode. It's still weird hearing Ohana's voice come from a huge-tittied chick though, hopefully I'll adjust.

Nah I think Capcom paid for this episode, not Sony.

I find this show weird cause it's very blatantly playing up the harem/fanservice aspect visually but the humor hasn't gone in that direction at all. It somehow works, at least in these first two episodes.

iavi

Tsujido%28AKADOGMAN%29.jpeg

The Kozaki ( big left, bottom right) -> Gonzo'd (bottom left, top right) transition. Bones better not pull this shit.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
This is not really true unless you work by the principle that if watching Utena walk up the stairs once is stylish, watching it for the 15th time is also stylish. Or, you know, taking x character's fight animation, covering it with a different coat of paint and style of hair, and inserting it into the Black Rose arc b/c they couldn't be bothered. Which is really just apologism.
Hmm? In that part you quoted I was specifically talking about re-caps and re-used animation, neither of which are good things, which is why I highlighted them. Re-used animation includes the stairs sequence, elevators, fights, driving and lots of stuff all over the place. It's got budget issues up the wazoo.

That really has nothing to do with the direction in other, important story scenes.

(for the record, those stairs were stylish every time)

duckroll

Miri said:
The Kozaki ( big left, bottom right) -> Gonzo'd (bottom left, top right) transition. Bones better not pull this shit.

I'm not sure what there is for them to "pull" since I already linked the opening video, which is probably like 50% if not 100% of the work that BONES is doing for the game anyway. You can already judge the results.

Fate/Zero 2
Wow, that was good. Good animation, I like seeing the young versions of the original series and how they interacted.

Horizon 02
I still have no idea what is going on, it was still entertaining... somehow.
Something something, girl had her boobs cut off.

Penguindrum 14
WOW. Did I call it or what?
Scumbag Shoma.
Ringo getting raped/mind-fucked by Yuri. This just took a huge step into something disturbing. I also suspect Kanba is into something equally dubious.

I don't want Ringo to be damaged :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pengruindrum 14:

I can't believe it took me over 5 minutes into the episode to make the connection. The fact that they spell it right before by having
Yuri sign in Ringo as a sister
made me feel really derpy for not noticing it even earlier. At least, I presume the seeds were planted way before anyway
(outside of the now obvious role that Yuri performs in her play - she literally plays a woman)
).

That said, whereas this episode moves away from the gawd-awful exposition-fests of the last two episodes, now we get an episode with some strange tone issues.
I honestly wasn't sure if Shouma's emo-kid bit was supposed to be tragic or hilarious
. At the very least, it seems to be fairly clear what the end game - at least thematically - is at this point.

I just wonder if the whole show couldn't have been better structured to support that theme. At the very least, you wouldn't need three or four episodes of expository scenes in order to set up the endgame.

Nix

Banned
Guilty Crown Episode 1- Absolute balls. The pacing was all over the place, the transitions made absolutely no fucking sense, and the resolution of his 'resolve' came from what? No, seriously, what!? This entire thing is shit. Really poorly written; it seems as though it's just going with abstract for the sake of complexity- complexity for the fucking sake of being complex. Shit does not work like that. No, if you make things cryptic it doesn't mean there's some deeper level there. No, I don't want to go deeper, when this shit was awful.

Was this episode 2? Was it? Because I saw absolutely no characterization, plot, or even relevance between the beginning and the end. This was utter shit. Who said this was Code Geass the second coming? That person can go fuck themselves.

iavi

duckroll said:
I'm not sure what there is for them to "pull" since I already linked the opening video, which is probably like 50% if not 100% of the work that BONES is doing for the game anyway. You can already judge the results.

You're right, I didn't even catch the PV. That doesn't at all look as good as I was hoping it would, but does seem to be a bit better than Gonzo's trash. I'm just hoping that I'll eventually see something drawn to his usual ability, but animated a bit better than this. Which, sadly, is the closest I've gotten to seeing his art done justice.

It's probably a pipe dream, I know, but just look at this!

%25255Banimepaper.jpeg

or this:

f_497f09589f0bc.jpeg

so good.

LordCanti

PdotMichael said:
Yuri has no penis, she has in the same episode hot lesbian sex, but only Mamako knows her "secret", so no penis.

it makes no sense

(Penguin 14 spoilers)

She knew
Momoka
when they were both
very young.
I'm not sure an
elementary school aged Yuri would know she was a lesbian, or that she'd be able to convey that to Momoka.
It would make more sense if something was
actually a bit weird or odd about her body
I'd think.

I really hate it that they've taken us
down this path. She had to fit into the story somewhere, but did we really need yet another rapist? Jury-Senpai forcibly kissed Kanba, Ringo nearly raped Tabuki, Sanetoshi tried to kiss Himari, and now Yuri might rape Ringo out of nowhere.
They need to pick a different plot device. I get that it's
cyclical, and that what comes around goes around (she tried to rape Tabuki to become Momoka, now she may get raped because Yuri wants her to be Momoka
but they needed to set it up much better.

If she actually
gets raped
it's going to leave a weird air about the show, just like it did on another show from last year
Fractale

I don't want that to happen =/ I know that even though it's
rape
in this instance, that it doesn't have that
disturbing feeling about it
but...ehh... I was
disturbed for another reason...because they went to such great lengths to make it titillating in a fucked up way

Judging from the voice over at the end of the show, what are the odds of
the rope being to hang Ringo, and not for some kind of crazy ass Shibari?
I don't understand how
she thinks Ringo won't report her to the police, if she lives to tell the tale, since she's awake still

trejo said:
I honestly don't understand where all the hate is coming from. From what I can gather it has something to do with the episode being too fanservicey and having some weird cost cutting and direction issues. If you don't mind that I don't think it'll be as much of an issue.

Perhaps letting the episodes build up so you can watch them in chunks isn't a bad idea.

Unless we're being completely trolled, and
she's going to dress Ringo up like Momoka, and not rape her or something
it was oddly
lighthearted for me, in terms of it being a potential rape scene.
Contrast it with the time
Ringo tried to rape Tabuki, where the lighting was all ominous, and Ringo clearly looked out of her mind. This time, Ringo is all flushed, and they take great pains to show us every inch of her body. It was just weird in terms of the tone. Are we supposed to be afraid for her? If so, they didn't create a sense of foreboding

trejo

icarus-daedelus said:
Oh hey everyone what's going on with pengu~

i sincerely hope you guys are right and everyone else is wrong or I might die of a broken heart. Studiously avoiding them spoiler bars all over dis here thread.

Although, I may just quit gaffu for the next 11 weeks and marathon the whole chunk when it's over, again. Goodbye beautiful cruel world~ @w@
I honestly don't understand where all the hate is coming from. From what I can gather it has something to do with the episode being too fanservicey and having some weird cost cutting and direction issues. If you don't mind that I don't think it'll be as much of an issue.

Perhaps letting the episodes build up so you can watch them in chunks isn't a bad idea.

Steroyd

LordCanti said:
(Penguin 14 spoilers)

If she actually
gets raped
it's going to leave a weird air about the show, just like it did on another show from last year
Fractale

I don't want that to happen =/

I don't understand how
she thinks Ringo won't report her to the police, if she lives to tell the tale, since she's awake still

Well Esmereldaguin (Jury?), got a phone call of where the second half of the diary is so she'll most likely come to save the day we've had a couple of close shaves as it is, plus Ringo was drugged, she probably won't remember what happens like the frog thing with Tabuki.

Thoraxes

LordCanti said:
(Penguin 14 spoilers)

She knew
Momoka
when they were both
very young.
I'm not sure an
elementary school aged Yuri would know she was a lesbian, or that she'd be able to convey that to Momoka.
It would make more sense if something was
actually a bit weird or odd about her body
I'd think.

I really hate it that they've taken us
down this path. She had to fit into the story somewhere, but did we really need yet another rapist? Jury-Senpai forcibly kissed Kanba, Ringo nearly raped Tabuki, Sanetoshi tried to kiss Himari, and now Yuri might rape Ringo out of nowhere.
They need to pick a different plot device. I get that it's
cyclical, and that what comes around goes around (she tried to rape Tabuki to become Momoka, now she may get raped because Yuri wants her to be Momoka
but they needed to set it up much better.

If she actually
gets raped
Fractale

I don't want that to happen =/ I know that even though it's
rape
in this instance, that it doesn't have that
disturbing feeling about it
but...ehh... I was
disturbed for another reason...because they went to such great lengths to make it titillating in a fucked up way

I don't understand how
Don't you know how
rohypnol/roofies work? They leave you with pretty much no memory of what happened while under the influence.

LordCanti

Thoraxes said:
Don't you know how
rohypnol/roofies work? They leave you with pretty much no memory of what happened while under the influence.

I'm pretty sure
she'd notice the rope marks ;p

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Pengruindrum 14
That said, whereas this episode moves away from the gawd-awful exposition-fests of the last two episodes..
Episodes 12 and 13 were god awful? Was it because they focused on telling a backstory, or was there actual problems with the which made them god awful episodes? Or is it that telling a backstory automatically becomes god awful exposition, like dudes hitting on Ohana is automatically bad drama?

This isn't a loaded question, really! I'm just interested. I would go back and look for your earlier posts, but this thread is hella long. You can just link them up, or maybe I'll search later.
icarus-daedelus said:
Derp, no they weren't! You just like the song!
Nah, they were awesome. Especially the second set.

Thoraxes

LordCanti said:
I'm pretty sure
she'd notice the rope marks ;p
Hahaha, very true!
I wonder how much that scene will progress before/if something breaks it up? Next week is going to be very good.

iavi

Jexhius said:
Episodes 12 and 13 were god awful? Was it because they focused on telling a backstory, or was there actual problems with the which made them god awful episodes? Or is it that telling a backstory automatically becomes god awful exposition, like dudes hitting on Ohana is automatically bad drama?

This isn't a loaded question, really! I'm just interested.

Nah, they were awesome. Especially the second set.

Episode 12 of MPD was the breaking point for me. Retreading events with heavy handed, but ultimately non-existent emotional tension due to the fact that they've played with the same card multiple times prior
Only to bring her back in the very next episode, again.
. Horribly grandeur nonsense (Mary had a pretentious lamb), and all around bad direction with a lol worthy disconnect that still hasn't been explained--speaking on the seizon senryaku, which just reeks of convenience at this point.

On that note, you can say 'lol anime, inconsistencies are the norm!,' And I'll just ask you why.

Dali

Up to date on Penguin Drum. Took something like 11 episodes for it to become watchable, but it's finally there. Kind of bummed Himari
didn't really die this time around
. Easily the most likable character, I think
her death
would have made the series more interesting.
The brothers sparked by her death double their efforts to get the Penguin Drum and give to the hat only to find, like Momoka, and all the people that have died before some things are simply fated.
Keeps with the theme of the show so far. Maybe I've been watching too much anime and expect that sort of lame anticlimatic ending and actually complain when there isn't one.

Not really liking what they are doing with what I assume is some futanari shit in the most recent episode. This show puts too much focus on the most annoying characters, or rather goes through pains to make all the characters annoy the piss out of me. There was a good 2 episode run where everyone was good, but now between
futanari rape lady
and Shouma's new emo mode I feel like I'm moving back to the first 10 episodes of "follow the annoying stalker around".

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Un Go 1

Why did this make so little sense? I mean, I couldn't tell you what the hell was going on as I was watching the show, or afterwards, or now. This story was told by characters who walked into scenes and said stuff and then other characters came in and said other stuff and then something happened, but I'm not sure why. It nearly got the point where characters were talking over each other in their eagerness to espouse more weird story points out of nowhere.

There was no set-up, or character development, or world building, or pacing. Just countless characters talking over each other with weird editing and a nonsense plot. I dunno. It was baaad.
We kind of knew going into this season that noitaminA was dying, but when you actually watch it happen in front of your eyes, it's pretty sad.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
You guys are pretty serious about this Squid show, huh? I never really checked it out when it was airing because it seemed pretty boring and there's frankly too much anime to watch already.

One day...
Just watch the episode with the mini-Squid Girl.

Miri said:
Episode 12 of MPD was the breaking point for me. Retreading events with heavy handed, but ultimately non-existent emotional tension due to the fact that they've played with the same card multiple times prior
Only to bring her back in the very next episode, again.

Himari has only died once before, in the first episode. Her death is more important for the effect it has on the brothers than what it is in itself anyway.

Horribly grandeur nonsense (Mary had a pretentious lamb), and all around bad direction with a lol worthy disconnect that still hasn't been explained--speaking on the seizon senryaku, which just reeks of convenience at this point.

On that note, you can say 'lol anime, inconsistencies are the norm!,' And I'll just ask you why.

I don't even know what you're talking about here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom