• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
trejo said:
Personally, I think constantly comparing Utena and MPD is doing both shows a disservice.
Nothing wrong with comparing a directors current show to his previous work! that said both works are pretty close in quality to me, they are just a few things that put Utena above MPD for me.

It's not pointless at all: unlike 'bad' episodes of MPD they have no character development, plot movement, or anything that characterizes the series other than that humor, and I really think the humor is best integrated rather than segregated, as in MPD or like any other episode of SKU. I don't think the direction is special enough to make them any more than mildly amusing gag episodes at best.
Eh I think you might be missing the point I'm trying to make here, I'm not criticizing the "weaker" episodes of MPD for the content that is contained within them, I'm talking about the general production and direction quality when they are compared with the rest of the series, hell when it comes to episodes like 10 which was clearly not up to the standard set by the previous episodes, i had no problem with any of the plot developments that happened within it, it was how they delivered the content that was the problem.

And there's nothing wrong with how the humor is integrated in both series anyway.

I'm really starting to think that you and I have very different reasons for liking that show, though.
You are the only Utena fan i know here who has a negative opinion of those specific episodes tho.:p

iavi

icarus-daedelus said:
I'm just saying the symbolism you are proposing is odd because, firstly, nothing about Kanba's affection for Himari is on/off; and second, it adds no real psychological depth to say that x represents y when y (Kanba's feelings about Himari and the conflict presented by their forbidden nature) is already present in the series. 'It's all in his/her head' is not my idea of psychological depth, but w/e. I still don't really get what exactly your problem is with Hat World or how it would be solved by anything you've proposed here.

It's that I think it'd be for more interesting a story were they to play into the psychological implications/guilt of forbidden love and its social acceptance, rather than find a way to route around it
like the seem to be doing with the orphanage
, or have the viewer just conveniently 'accept that it's there,' and move on without ever really expanding upon the premises that they hint at. And if the show turned out to be one big metaphor that explicitly touches upon that aspect, I'd dig it. Granted, you're right in saying that there's far too many threads for that to be the case at this point, but I don't see how you can say any progression down that path, or even a progression as extensive as the example I gave, would not be a bit of added depth for Kanba's character.

As for Hat World, it's a separate issue. What I stated there wouldn't fix my issues with it at all, but I would say that if it came to be, my judgments would come to to me having to weigh all aspects of the show, and deem what I figure the most focal. Taking things into account and all that. As I am right now, the show bores me.

Bakuman 2 ep 3
tumblr_lt4ythOMNa1qbxqfpo2_500.png

I guess it was a decent Nakai focused episode, however unlike the previous episode they are starting to work Detective Trap and the working of manga back in. The last scene with Nakai was hilarious.

trejo

Lafiel said:
Nothing wrong with comparing a directors current show to his previous work! that said both works are pretty close in quality to me, they are just a few things that put Utena above MPD for me.
Just because they're by the same director doesn't make them the same show. I don't think Ikuhara is looking for a retread of Utena so I don't see why anyone else should.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
trejo said:
Just because they're by the same director doesn't make them the same show. I don't think Ikuhara is looking for a retread of Utena so I don't see why anyone else should.
Nah I'm not going into MPD expecting it to be like Utena. I'm evaluating both on their own merits.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
ZoddGutts said:
Change those names to Ringo and Yuri.
YcG8y.jpg

icarus-daedelus said:
No, just me, and no, they weren't. Not even close unless you're joking or something.
I'm actually serious for once. The Nanami episodes have the best comedy in the show. They are refreshing in how much freedom they exude from the regular Utena formula: anything can happen in them, and everything actually happens in them. They may not be the most plot-relevant (and that's a bit disingenuous considering the actual real plot of the show doesn't start until the very last arc), but they are the most fun.
Articalys said:
Who stole my job? You can't just post that shit at 384x288, you gotta make it stand out, how are people going to know who to vote for if they have to squint to read it?
AnimuGAF is actually voting on this? Also, click on the images.

Jexhius said:
You guys are pretty serious about this Squid show, huh? I never really checked it out when it was airing because it seemed pretty boring and there's frankly too much anime to watch already.

One day...
I'm not exactly sure why it's popular, really...

jman2050 said:
Eh, I could see the similarities, but Azumanga is a lot more surreal and cute in its humor. Also Squid Girl lacks Osaka, which changes everything.
Yeah, Squid Girl isn't very interesting, I dropped the first season quickly.

No see, Squid Girl actually has these things called "jokes" that something like Nichijou lacks most of the time.

That makes all the difference.
You've got that entirely backwards.

Ezalc said:
I don't know, but it does have some great ones. :)

Regulus Tera said:
Moé shit.

http://i.imgur.com/CpQFfl.jpg

G3-1
1 333 Index @ To Aru Majutsu no Index II
2 204 Morishima L. Haruka @ Amagami SS

H3-2
1 341 Kuroneko (Gokou Ruri) @ Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai
2 208 Touhara Asuha @ Astarotte no Omocha!

And for today:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/SaimoeArchive/Saimoe2011/Round3/WebThumb/KokoroVsKyouko.png https://s3.amazonaws.com/SaimoeArchive/Saimoe2011/Round3/WebThumb/HoukiVsAria.png
Poor Kokoro, she's going to be destroyed by the Puella Magi...

Articalys said:
Who stole my job? You can't just post that shit at 384x288, you gotta make it stand out, how are people going to know who to vote for if they have to squint to read it?

http://i.imgur.com/H9hd7.png

http://i.imgur.com/fXA37.png

Though I will concede the idea to post the results outside of a quote block.
I like that your versions list additional facts for the characters. It's a better design.

Enron said:
I work for an American company, and we use Date-Month-Year

:<

THE TERRORISTS ARE WINNING
Why would an American company do that? :(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
icarus-daedelus said:
Also, and I can't believe I'm really arguing against Utena here (there's a first time for everything), I think you're full of shit if you think there's anything worse than Touga boxing a kangaroo or body switching curry or Tsuwabuki's diary in MPD, but whatever, I'll drop it.
Goddammit some of those scenes are my favourites. :/

Renmei

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
Why would an American company do that? :(
Hah! In Army finance we someones use times year - month day! 20111015 or 111015 rawr! Another accepted army format is 15 OCT 2011, this is the only one I use. No way anyone can misunderstand it.

Wait how is the Hat World confusing at all?

The very first time it happened
when Shouma was ejected via the trap floor it shows that he was sleeping. It very clearly takes place in their subconscious. That was clear since day 1.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
trejo said:
You have to admit Tsuwabuki's diary was kinda lame.
I liked the additions they made to the curry episode in that one. Especially if you consider that the re-telling of the events may actually just be Utena and Anthy making shit up for the purpose of riling Nanami up.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Obsessed said:
Wait how is the Hat World confusing at all?

The very first time it happened
when Shouma was ejected via the trap floor it shows that he was sleeping. It very clearly takes place in their subconscious. That was clear since day 1.

Episode 5

iavi

icarus-daedelus said:
Now you're confusing two different things or perhaps I am (I thought you were relating this to your problems with Hat World's lack of explanation and inconsistency with Library World, but I guess not) and - to the bolded - I don't really know what you're talking about again, buddy. I dunno, I should probably go lie down.

Nah, I'm sure it's partly my fault too. To try and be a bit clearer; if the show were to magically take a turn towards a direction that I happen to love, I'd happily start watching it again, yeah; but even still, I'd have to take my initial grievances into account when making my final judgement on it.

Cwarrior

Penguin Drum 13

-
lol lesbian rape(lesbian always came to mind for me when reading her name)
-the whole shoma being all of a sudden emo got me going ???

I at least found it more entertaining then god awful ep12 and slideshow ep13.

Back from NYCC. Went to the Fairy Tail panel, and as expected, it was awkward as fuck. Some cosplayers did this dumb skit thing while the pre-recorded voices from the VAs played in the background. The voices are AWFUL. Natsu's and Gray's isn't that bad, but Lucy's is high as hell and Happy's is even higher. Didn't help we were sitting right next to the speaker, so it was just squeaky voices screaming in our ears.

Then we see the dubbed episodes and they... were pretty bad. In addition to the shit voices, the dialog was rewritten so it felt more childish. I know it was already for kids, but they took that even further, which was somewhat baffling as they still said piss, damn, bastard and stuff like that. And of course, the audience was eating it all up, applauding extremely loud every time a major character appears for the first time or does something cool. Then they started clapping along with the ED. It's cool if they're optimistic, but it made me kind of uncomfortable especially since I was with a friend who isn't big on anime and I bet he was secretly judging me for this.

Should've learned my lesson from the Star Driver panel last year. Though at least this one had Mashima.

Articalys

Fate/zero 3

Looks like plans are going into motion. They've done a good job with managing the ensemble cast so far. Feel kind of bad for Iri though.
It's really a shame that they turned this into a split-cour show; I'm already getting the feeling that the wait over the winter season is going to be harsh.
Also lol at
Rider thinking Bill Clinton is a rival

Dresden

cosmicblizzard said:
It's cool if they're optimistic, but it made me kind of uncomfortable especially since I was with a friend who isn't big on anime and I bet he was secretly judging me for this.

Should've learned my lesson from the Star Driver panel last year. Though at least this one had Mashima.
:lol

Should've asked him to sign a One Piece volume.

Instro

Cwarrior said:
Penguin Drum 13

-
-the whole shoma being all of a sudden emo got me going wtf??? Come off as a cheap attempted to delaying their get together till the final few episode.

I'm not sure I would call it cheap, I mean his parents killed her sister. How awkward would that be? They've been kind of driving to this point from the last few episodes. I think it would be a bit odd for them to suddenly get together right after that revelation.

Cwarrior

Instro said:
I'm not sure I would call it cheap, I mean his parents killed her sister. How awkward would that be? They've been kind of driving to this point from the last few episodes. I think it would be a bit odd for them to suddenly get together right after that revelation.

Now i think about it, that would be akward, Its just that I don't how to feel about the whole thing, it had going ???? shouldn't he be at least happy his sister got brought back to life?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Fat/Zero 3

This show is so damn good. Easily the best from the Fall season (thus far!). I am shocked by how good this show is turning out to be and I was on the bandwagon from day one. A great cast of characters, in a well directed show in a really interesting story that's in full swing now.

Honestly they should have renamed this show to something else. The fact its associated with the dredge that was the FSN anime is laughable. It's a lot better than anything I would have expected too from something hit with the Type-Moon label.

Lol
Bill Clinton.
That was great. Waver is seriously so moe too.
Which means he's probably going to be the first one that dies :(

Thoraxes

Cwarrior said:
Penguin Drum 13

-
-the whole shoma being all of a sudden emo got me going ???

Her name is Yuri. It doesn't get more obvious than that.

Also, on Type-Moon, Irisviel is a babe.

Jex

Hitokage said:
One thing I do agree on is that Utena really stopped trying with choreography in most duels after the first arc.
Yep, it was just rinse and repeat. Not that it hurts the show too badly.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
icarus-daedelus said:
What does that have to do with Sailor Moon S, darling?
It's my explaination for jumping in with a glib remark involvng the Ikuhara work not yet mentioned.

Which, to be clear, was not entirely serious.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
I don't actually care a whit about the fight choreography, but I was trying to make a point with that. I don't remember what tho.
It's all better in the movie anyway.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
icarus-daedelus said:
I don't actually care a whit about the fight choreography, but I was trying to make a point with that. I don't remember what tho.
Well, I care! It just bums me out how duels start out mildly engaging especially
with Juri's WTF face
then we see
that same fight ripped off wholesale later with Ruka and Juri standing in for some shots.
In the end I fall back on enjoying it as an exercise in rock opera but a lot of it is just missed opportunities.

Jex

Zoramon089 said:
I think Un-go is the lamest new show I've watched. The premise is just silly and...I don't see myself watching any more of it unless I hear of it getting much better
I wouldn't say it's lame so much as really confusing and bad.
Regulus Tera said:
Goddammit some of those scenes are my favourites. :/
But the episodes were meh.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
LordCanti said:
(Penguin 14 spoilers)
Unless we're being completely trolled, and
she's going to dress Ringo up like Momoka, and not rape her or something
it was oddly
lighthearted for me, in terms of it being a potential rape scene.
Contrast it with the time
Ringo tried to rape Tabuki, where the lighting was all ominous, and Ringo clearly looked out of her mind. This time, Ringo is all flushed, and they take great pains to show us every inch of her body. It was just weird in terms of the tone. Are we supposed to be afraid for her? If so, they didn't create a sense of foreboding
To me
it reinforced Ringo's vulnerability. The whole episode did really; Ringo is introduced as a loveably naive teenager who tries to smooth over an awkward situation with her crush using dating advice from teen magazines, Yuri is shown as a powerful and calculating predator. Their scenes together had a sense of impending dread.
I was afraid for Ringo.
LordCanti said:
She could have
stayed dead for a couple of episodes I guess, which would have made the impact greater
but I'm not sure there was enough time left to fit that in. It's pretty clear that they've got to spend a few episodes
endearing Sanetoshi to Himari, and getting Kanba deeper into financial trouble
which they couldn't have done without the motivation provided by
Himari coming back to life, and needing the "medicine"
What would really have been the point of keeping Himari dead? The entire point is that Kanba will not ever allow her to slip away. It would have been much more cheap and manipulative to keep Himari dead just as an excuse to have a bunch of episodes focused around people being sad. And as you say, the point isn't that Himari dies, it's what actions the threat of her dying drive her brothers to commit.
hosannainexcelsis said:
Personally, I feel that the main character
is Momoka
More like the MacGuffin. Ringo is the main character.
Instro said:
Exactly, Shoma had been brooding ever since he found out that Ringo is the sister of one of the victims and Himari collapsed shortly afterwards, and this seems to be the first time he's seen her since that night. Still, the show should have spent more time depicting that, because his actions are evidently confusing a lot of people.
Thoraxes said:
Her name is Yuri. It doesn't get more obvious than that.
spoiler that bro
Also, what's amazing about this twist is that it was so obvious it was completely unexpected.

Jex

[Penguin Drum Spoilers]
Instro said:
Nah, he's just a badly written character, right?
flawfuls said:
Chrin no Suzu

WTF Sanrio.

tS9SG.png

I heard this movie was dark, but I wasn't expecting it to quite go that far. It's pretty damn good though. It's pretty powerful stuff especially for a kids movie.
I know, right? It's pretty great though. I have to thank icarus for flagging it up a few threads ago.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Did I really read an argument that Penguindrum is weaker because the Seizon Senryaku scenes lack a logical explanation? Really?
Jexhius said:
Nah, he's just a badly written character, right?

I know, right?
&#12480;&#12520;&#12493;?

icarus, don't give up on watching Pengu week by week! I need back-up fighting off the heathens.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ben-to 2: Take the self-importance and tired cliches of the Asian-action genre and export them into a concept that makes no real sense whatsover, throw in tons of male gaze shots and bouncing breasts, and suddenly you have an anime series. This really is the next Highschool of the Dead. I'm shocked by how efficient this show is... it even has a stalker lesbian.

iavi

Hitokage said:
Well, I don't agree with Miri and I don't agree with your stance that shows can't indulge in simple pleasures.
You forget, our relationship ended when you denied One Piece its glory. We're destined to disagree.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
That one kinda threw me for a loop, lol. I just...what. Realism what. What?
Penguin Drum is the weirdest documentary I've ever seen. I think some of it may be staged...

trejo

Branduil said:
Watching too much anime distorts people's ideas of what realism is, I think.
Are you saying none of the things I pick up from the trash bins are going to magically transform into a cute big breasted girl that'll grant all of my wishes? :(

iavi

Krev said:
Did I really read an argument that Penguindrum is weaker because the Seizon Senryaku scenes lack a logical explanation? Really?

icarus-daedelus said:
It was a weird day at gaffu, man. You had to, like, be there.

That one kinda threw me for a loop, lol. I just...what. Realism what. What?

Jexhius said:
Penguin Drum is the weirdest documentary I've ever seen. I think some of it may be staged...

*Sighs* This is exactly what I'm talking about. Not only is it 'just an anime,' but its from a director who seems to frequently catch free passes for his screw ups (Bad episodes are totally the garbage tier 'episode directors' fault when Ikuhara put him in charge and even participated in storyboarding!), so to question its fallibility must really mean that it just has to be met with mess like this.

To summarize my stance one more time: One moment they show that the Seizon Senryaku does take place in a subconscious state of sort, in the next she pulls a brother from all the way across town. Funny thing was, I was easily able to suspend disbelief until ep 9 in which they showed that, yeah, it is a subconscious ordeal, which really jived with me but did the rest of the show a complete disservice. That is an inconsistency.

To talk it out and contend my point is one thing, but to forgo that and instead engage in a passive agressive circle-jerk of rabid fandom is flat out annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom