• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
darkside31337 said:
The official website of the Japanese rock band Galileo Galilei announced on Sunday that the band's new song "Asu e" (To Tomorrow) will be the opening theme song for the television anime series Mobile Suit Gundam AGE. The series will premiere in Japan on October 9.

What the hell? I thought JAM Project was doing the OP for Gundam AGE? This show is already doomed. Maybe not though because that is an awesome J-Rock band name.
They did the OP for AnoHana. I'd say its doomed. I like AnoHana's OP though even if thats the only thing I like about it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Hellsing321 said:
They did the OP for AnoHana. I'd say its doomed. I like AnoHana's OP though even if thats the only thing I like about it.

They also did one of the OPs for Oofuri. Gundam AGE not doomed!

iammeiam

So GAF's amazement after episode 11 prompted me to go back an watch Blood-C. Five boring episodes, then a point where you think plot is going to start, then it doesn't, then episodes nine, ten, and eleven all going the unintentionally hilarious route (
Ep 9: Absolutely everyone being protected to death; ep 10: Everyone you love dying in front of you is no reason to stop singing to yourself! Ep 11: Even the characters in the show are sick of this BS, and the twins are just hilarious bitches.
). Awesome, and the NicoNico comments keeping score for Saya made it even better.

Trying to decide what to watch next: Steins;gate or Code Geass? New shows do not look encouraging, so still playing catch-up on the old.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Watch both.

I would honestly say Code Geass though. It is basically the anime mecca, something you should really experience at some point because mere words can't describe it.

trejo

iammeiam said:
Trying to decide what to watch next: Steins;gate or Code Geass? New shows do not look encouraging, so still playing catch-up on the old.
Watch Geass in preparation for Guilty Crown.

Steins;Gate is good but not great and the first few episodes are some awful shit. Geass starts off kinda slow but once it gets going it becomes pure, unadultered Fabulous.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
EmmanuelMunoz said:
So are we still doing dudebro avatars for this season? I know I am

I am switching back now. Was rocking the Yuuko for the end of Nichijou and in support of SaiMoe but she lost to crappy Steins;Gate boy.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
EmmanuelMunoz said:
So are we still doing dudebro avatars for this season? I know I am

How can I dudebro Boxer up? :|

Enron

Banned
Has any show ever taken as long for the business to kick in than Penguindrum? It's 11 episodes in, and it seems like that it's only now that its kicking into high gear.

jman2050

Enron said:
Has any show ever taken as long for the business to kick in than Penguindrum? It's 11 episodes in, and it seems like that it's only now that its kicking into high gear.

Steins;Gate. And that didn't have the benefit of being fun to watch up until it actually got good.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Enron said:

Utena. One of the main characters wasn't even brought in till episode 13.

Articalys

jman2050 said:
Steins;Gate. And that didn't have the benefit of being fun to watch up until it actually got good.
Q4mgV.gif

I enjoyed the gradual steps into the mystery and overall plot; then again I did have the advantage of marathoning it. I admit the first several episodes could feel too drawn-out if you were watching them on a weekly basis.

To each their own tastes, though.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Regulus Tera said:
Utena doesn't really explain shit until episode 22, and it doesn't really explain shit until 34.

Well I certainly hope Penguindrum doesn't take until episode 34 to get to its point.

It is a 2 cour show right?

Uchip

Banned
jman2050 said:

what? it was slow to start, but it was still fun... otherwise i would have dropped it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
EmmanuelMunoz said:
1 minute into Bishōjo Senshi Salor Moon

I am in love
I should mention that the manga, anime, and live action series are all titled Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon, but the official translation for the anime and original manga release is Pretty Soldier Sailormoon while the official traslation for the live action is Pretty Guardian Sailormoon. That's why the live action series is referred to as PGSM.

Instro

Dark Rabbit 12
Hahahahahaha the fucking show closes on a hot spring episode, are you kidding me? God this show was just so bad on every level, but the writing in particular was pretty awful. From reusing the exact same plot line in 2 episodes straight, to consistently marginalizing and/or ignoring seemingly important plot points after they happen, it was pretty hilarious. Its not incoherent, but its pathetic in its own way. It's like they just gave up after episode 1. Even more comical is that Geneijin mentioned that the anime is apparently a direct copy and paste of the light novels. How the hell does this hold up in a book format?

So bravo Dark Rabbit for being the worst show of this season, and maybe of the worst of the year.

Coxy

Enron said:

in terms of percentage of the show in? probably not, in terms of episodes? easily. Stuff like GaoGaiGar and Macross 7 didnt get good until 23-24 episodes in

Enron

Banned
Coxy said:
in terms of percentage of the show in? probably not, in terms of episodes? easily. Stuff like GaoGaiGar and Macross 7 didnt get good until 23-24 episodes in

One can argue that Macross7 never got good at all

NewFresh

Hitokage said:
I should mention that the manga, anime, and live action series are all titled Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon, but the official translation for the anime and original manga release is Pretty Soldier Sailormoon while the official traslation for the live action is Pretty Guardian Sailormoon. That's why the live action series is referred to as PGSM.

Thanks for clearing that up, I kept seeing different names floating around.

I finished the first episode and have been left pretty speechless. How did this go on for 49 episodes?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Uchip said:
that is unfortunate as steins;great is objectively one of the best shows of the year!

It really is a great show. A definite must watch. It's kind of stunning how it turned out to be great.

Sophia

Uchip said:
that is unfortunate as steins;great is objectively one of the best shows of the year!

I've never been able to bring myself to watch an episode of it, personally. I like the characters, but something turns me off.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm just starting a Steins;Gate run. Watched the first episode when it came out and decided it would be easier to wait on it when I didn't have to wait every week for a new episode. I've only gotten like three episodes in but it's been good so far. The show takes a lot of risks with its characters and it really pays off for them.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
lazybones18 said:
Durarara!! 13

Just ended on [as].......what the hell?

One of the best episodes of the series. Prepare for a total tone and character shift in the second half of the series. I loved it but it's certainly not for everybody.

Articalys

Nichijou 26

A nice, simple episode to finish the series. In the end, the show had its fair share of hits and misses but I'd have to say I enjoyed it overall.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Articalys said:
Nichijou 26

A nice, simple episode to finish the series. In the end, the show had its fair share of hits and misses but I'd have to say I enjoyed it overall.

Is there really a comedy that isn't actually hit and miss? It's kind of the nature of the beast for the medium. When a show ranges that much you probably aren't going to find everything funny.

I loved this show. Favorite KyoAni show pretty easily.

Gankutsuou 7

That last scene sure was, uh, shameless.

In its setting and increased focus on sex and violence, this series feels akin to what many avant-garde directors do to Shakespeare or Mozart.

darkside31337 said:
Is there really a comedy that isn't actually hit and miss? It's kind of the nature of the beast for the medium. When a show ranges that much you probably aren't going to find everything funny.

There are comedies that, unlike Nichijou, are overwhelmingly hits with very few, if any, misses (Gintama from what I've seen, FMP Fumoffu). But given its sketch structure and experimental nature, it's not surprising that Nichijou turned out the way it did. Certainly a worthwhile show, flaws and all.

jman2050

Nichijou is over, maybe now this means I can finally stop having to talk about it and just direct all my hate at K-On as per usual.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The problem with Nichijou isn't that it's hit and miss, but that it's full of repetition and just flat out dull segments that can't really even be considered comedy.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
hosannainexcelsis said:
There are comedies that, unlike Nichijou, are overwhelmingly hits with very few, if any, misses (Gintama from what I've seen, FMP Fumoffu). But given its sketch structure and experimental nature, it's not surprising that Nichijou turned out the way it did. Certainly a worthwhile show, flaws and all.

The experimental nature is one of the things I love about this show. Rather than tying itself down to a small central cast of characters and the central focal point of a school that most shows of its ilk do, it expands its cast and its setting to paint a fascinating picture of a the ordinary lives of some extraordinary people who live in a town. The endings to the second half of the series are just some really great stuff.

The show objectively speaking is top notch. Really it just comes to whether or not you find it comedic. It's certainly not for everybody. But it's got a bit of anti-humor to it, it doesn't feel the necessity for punchlines, it doesn't follow the standard protocol for a lot of things you find in comedy and certainly in comedy anime series. People will call it dull and boring because of it but I absolutely adore the nature of this series.

I really can't even stand the manga at all. It actually was incredibly dull and boring, KyoAni did a great job adding vibrancy and humor to a source material that was honestly lacking it.

jman2050 said:
Nichijou is over, maybe now this means I can finally stop having to talk about it and just direct all my hate at K-On as per usual.

E5hiy.gif

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
EmmanuelMunoz said:
Thanks for clearing that up, I kept seeing different names floating around.

I finished the first episode and have been left pretty speechless. How did this go on for 49 episodes?
Haha, who knows. Stick with it though. It never becomes not campy or low budget, but it does some interesting things with the Dark Kingdom story and some of the characters are great, especially those that show up around ten episodes in.

darkside31337 said:
The end of the clip with Hohenheim gets me every damn time. There should be a law mandating every dub have an outtakes section.

That clip is my favorite. If only it was included in the actual episode

flawfuls

Nichijou 26

That was an okay way to end the show. It emphasized the funny gags and nice heartwarming moments that have made the show great up until now. Or at least it emphasized the funny gags and nice heartwarming moments that would have made the show great if they actually did it on a more consistent basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom