• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BluWacky said:
To be fair to Black Rock Shooter, we know basically nothing about what the plot of the TV series will be. We have no idea if it will deal (hamfistedly, probably) with some interesting concepts or not.

Sci-fi is hardly an alien concept to the Noitamina block - people tend to (like to?) forget how early Jyu-Oh-Sei was in the timeslot's life. Plus, Black Rock Shooter herself is a character, pure and simple - hasn't every piece of media featuring her had a different storyline? We really don't know what to expect.

Let's face it though, the new noitaminA is trying to chase the same segment as everyone else. There isn't even a BL scifi show to pretend that they're not going for the nerds at this point.

Jex

Aigis said:
Nope.

It's a pretty good movie that I like more each time I re-watch it. There!
That, at least, holds true for me as well. I think Oshii actually packed the movie full of things, not just 'rambling nonsense' as some people claim.

BluWacky

Branduil said:
I refuse to call the new block noitaminA. It can only be GonzoitaminA.

Gonzo never animated anything for Noitamina, did they?

/sense of humour failure

I'm not denying that BRS and Guilty Crown in particular are very otaku-y, as was Fractale (regrettably since it really shouldn't have been). But we've had AnoHana, Bunny Drop, Wandering Son and No. 6 - very traditional Noitamina shows at heart, yes, even AnoHana - make up half of this year's content. Plus while [C] has otaku trappings, it's a show about the Japanese economy.

I refuse to judge BRS until it airs. I suspect it will be moe-tastic action pandering stuff, but the proof will be in the show itself.

Risette

A Good Citizen
icarus-daedelus said:
The Red Desert is pretty good... <_< >_>
I have Pierrot le Fou* coming soon, so I'm going to hold off getting another until next week. Probably High & Low next week.

Lafiel keeps pressuring me to get a Malick movie though, maybe I'll end up cracking on that first.

* - I'm still not sure if blindbuying a Godard movie when I haven't seen anything from him was a good idea considering the way people seem split on him but w/e. Risks are fun! Also it's OOP and it was on sale for $20 so that made it easier too.

mAcOdIn

icarus-daedelus said:
I think I've learned something new about you today, mac!
Haha, I like the most mundane body parts more than what most guys would call "the big 3."
Branduil said:
I guess his dream girl is a tomboy with exposed armpits.
In a ripped wife beater with a crew cut and a dip in her mouth.

Ok, some of that is false.

scy

mAcOdIn said:
Haha, I like the most mundane body parts more than what most guys would call "the big 3."

In a ripped wife beater with a crew cut and a dip in her mouth.

Ok, some of that is false.

I live in Texas. Ripped wife beater is a fashion statement. One I fully support.

mAcOdIn

scy said:
I live in Texas. Ripped wife beater is a fashion statement. One I fully support.
I also live in Texas.
InfiniteNine said:
As someone who lives in texas I find it weird.
So many places I could take this, so many.
Branduil said:
"Mundane" is like, their neck or something. Armpits are just fetish-y.
But the neck is common!
Dynedom said:
Not to mention it lends itself to the age-old debate: Clean or unshaven?
Now you guys are just getting too personal, sheesh, how much private info do you want? And I take offense to the choices being clean or unshaven as if they can't be both unshaven AND clean. Why the false choice? They can be shaved and dirty too you know!

Branduil

Dynedom said:
Not to mention it lends itself to the age-old debate: Clean or unshaven?
That's not even a debate. It's like asking what is better, living in a cave or an actual house? Join the 21st century, hippies.

I guess, it's better than the brushing teeth-fetish after all

PTe47.jpg

trejo

DiGiKerot said:
Children who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below - Pretty movie with some really striking scenery in which people yearn after people. Also kind of slow to get anywhere, and really meandering once it does. Yup, certainly a Shinkai movie.

I mean, I certainly enjoyed it, but it's a good movie rather than a particularly great one.
What about dem clouds? How pretty were they?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Code Geass R2 - 12

Man, Shirley is pretty stupid, but at least she's good waifu material. I mean for real. She's sincere and caring. Plus she has the body of a fucking goddess. She obviously has genuine love for Lelouche, and she even offered to let him pound that shit like the fist of God/Charles. Lelouche should just say fuck it. Quit while he's ahead and get down with Shirley. This show better end with them getting together.

Ano hana ep 1 and 2
The anime club made me feel like the only one who hadnt seen it before. That being said is this anime supposed to be emotional?
When it was shown that Menma apparently died? and main character and others are still traumatized and in grief made me feel torn and tear up

trejo

Extollere said:
Code Geass R2 - 12

Man, Shirley is pretty stupid, but at least she's good waifu material. I mean for real. She's sincere and caring. Plus she has the body of a fucking goddess. She obviously has genuine love for Lelouche, and she even offered to let him pound that shit like the fist of God/Charles. Lelouche should just say fuck it. Quit while he's ahead and get down with Shirley. This show better end with them getting together.
TuSA8l.jpg

Extollere said:
Code Geass R2 - 12

hmmm

Deku

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
Ano hana ep 1 and 2
The anime club made me feel like the only one who hadnt seen it before. That being said is this anime supposed to be emotional?
When it was shown that Menma apparently died? and main character and others are still traumatized and in grief made me feel torn and tear up

It is.

It would have been better to just have a straight up drama than to inject all that fanservice and moe bits. That said, it's a fairly good watch. It's one of the better shows from the noitaminA block.

zeroshiki

Extollere said:
Code Geass R2 - 12

Lelouche had, basically, C.C. Kallen and Shirley throwing themselves at him but he pines over his sister and Suzaku.

>_<

zeroshiki

cosmicblizzard said:
Pretty much my reaction too :(

Code Geass R2 spoilers for upto Ep13
If this were at all realistic, Lelouch would have Geass'd Rolo then and there and ordered him to kill himself.

Code Geass R2 spoilers for upto err.. Ep20 or so?
Rolo's heroic sacrifice later rang hollow because of this cold blooded murder.

scy

zeroshiki said:
Code Geass R2 spoilers for upto err.. Ep20 or so?
Rolo's heroic sacrifice later rang hollow because of this cold blooded murder.

I saw it as
a chance for redemption. I celebrated his death instead.

zeroshiki

scy said:
I saw it as
a chance for redemption. I celebrated his death instead.

Code Geass R2:
Yeah, me too.

The little shit got played by Lelouch to the very end. I like to think that Lelouche really was that much of an asshole and never changed his opinion on Rolo to the bitter end

trejo

Chihayafuru 3

I've said enough times now that Karuta is a boring game no matter the amount of 'strategy' or 'tactics' involved and I'm not likely to change my mind anytime soon. Having said that, this show is so much more than that and the characters themselves make this an absolute joy to watch. Easily my surprise show of the season, since I never expected to like this as much as I do based on the initial premise.

zeroshiki

trejo said:
Chihayafuru 3

I've said enough times now that Karuta is a boring game no matter the amount of 'strategy' or 'tactics' involved and I'm not likely to change my mind anytime soon. Having said that, this show is so much more than that and the characters themselves make this an absolute joy to watch. Easily my surprise show of the season, since I never expected to like this as much as I do based on the initial premise.

I'll take the next step and say Karuta actually detracts from the story. They could have chosen something less boring. Like Go.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
trejo said:
Chihayafuru 3

Needs more Secret Base.

zeroshiki said:
I'll take the next step and say Karuta actually detracts from the story. They could have chosen something less boring. Like Go.
The poems are metaphors for their poetic lives! Or something.

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
Needs more Secret Base.

The poems are metaphors for their poetic lives! Or something.

For someone who hated Anohana as much, you sure do love their ending song :p

The poems are boring as well. Should have gone with basketball.

Chihayafuru 3

It's charming to see such enthusiasm for a game that's unpopular even in its home country. This episode does a good job of capturing a few of the reasons people fall in love with it in the character of the doctor - not the least of which is its unpopularity, making the few fans band together all the more.

The way the second half of the episode uses it as a metaphor for a quickly slipping away childhood and the separate paths we end up following as we grow up was excellent. I had to break out the tissues. Like Natsume which I just started, this is a series rich in atmosphere thanks to its production quality.

zeroshiki said:

Even though karuta is far from my favorite game, I can't agree. The poetry of the 100 Poems is integrated into the fabric of the story in a way that enhances its emotional impact.

trejo

zeroshiki said:
It definitely feels like they were scraping the bottom of the barrel to find a game to base the show around. Hell, I would've taken dominoes over it. My one consolation is that the show hasn't actually been all about Karuta so far, even if the characters are infatuated with it for some god forsaken reason.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
For someone who hated Anohana as much, you sure do love their ending song :p
I didn't hate it. I mean, I didn't love it because Okada ruins everything, but I'm not one of the haters!

The poems are boring as well. Should have gone with basketball.
RKB taught me that girls can't play basketball!

hosannainexcelsis said:
Chihayafuru 3

Even though karuta is far from my favorite game, I can't agree. The poetry of the 100 Poems is integrated into the fabric of the story in a way that enhances its emotional impact.
Her name itself is poetic!

Risette

A Good Citizen
icarus-daedelus said:
Funny you mention that...

High & Low is awesomesauce. One Malick movie is probably enough to know whether you'll love him or hate him; I'd suggest probably Days of Heaven first rather than TTRL. I'll hold my tongue on Godard. :p

Good luck with that mang!
Is there anything inaccessible in TTRL for a first time Malick watcher? I've had my eyes set on that and I have my own weird reasons for avoiding Days of Heaven.

If TTRL is no good in that regard, how's Tree of Life?

---
anime anime this post isn't offtopic anime moe

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aigis said:
Is there anything inaccessible in TTRL for a first time Malick watcher? I've had my eyes set on that and I have my own weird reasons for avoiding Days of Heaven.

If TTRL is no good in that regard, how's Tree of Life?

---
anime anime this post isn't offtopic anime moe
The Thin Red Line is a war poem related through the medium of film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom