• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

EmmanuelMunoz said:
SHE IS HOLDING A SPOON!
Don't even get me started on the spoon! The way she's holding it, with the sugar cube resting on it, just makes no sense considering her size relative to the object. She'd just fall over.

Now that I'm thinking about it, what's with the kid? Judging by the items in the poster she must be in the kitchen. So why is he outside his house peering into the kitchen in the middle of the night?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
SonicX_Zero said:
Hm... Might as well pick up the pace then.lol Thanks for the head up. :)
icarus is talking about the second movie, but yeah in Season 2(ep 22) the show drops the split episode format, throws in a new ED, and the writing quality starts to improve quite a bit.

mAcOdIn

faridmon said:
Is it my imagination, or is Redline DVD pushed back to next year? WTF? Don't they want my monies?
They do but next quarter! This quarter they want to re-release some shit. Lol, I can't believe First Squad's coming too, anyone looking forward to that stinker?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Dynedom said:
People are still figuring out what exactly it delivered...

The safe assumption is nothing

I did enjoy it, and my older sister, who's been jaded from anime for years now, said it may very well "save anime" for her. She loved the art style and character designs and can't wait to see the next episode.

faridmon

mAcOdIn said:
They do but next quarter! This quarter they want to re-release some shit. Lol, I can't believe First Squad's coming too, anyone looking forward to that stinker?
Just checked Amazon UK, its still stated for November 14th. Must be an American screw up thingy. Pre-order retained.

mAcOdIn

faridmon said:
Just checked Amazon UK, its still stated for November 14th. Must be an American screw up thingy. Pre-order retained.
Ah, I forgot not everyone lives in the States. Yeah, over here we get it January 17th or 19th.

Dresden

Interviews/Q&A w/ producers from FujiTV, Production IG and Aniplex
- Inori's main drawing point is her armpits.
- Suits are reminiscent of Eva, they asked redjuice to make sexy characters.
- Supercell's doing Egoist's music throughout, OST's coming out next year.
- Main inspirations were GiTS and the Eden of the East. Has similarities to Code Geass b/c of some of same staff, but GC is trying to be more like GiTS+Eden. Director is trying to make this his personal GiTS.
- Been in development for 2 years.

Most of the other stuff are spoilers for ep. 2.

Jex

Dresden said:

Most of the other stuff are spoilers for ep. 2.
This warms my heart. I love it when people are "trying" to make GiTS, because then you end up with stuff like Mardock Scramble.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dresden said:
- Main inspirations were GiTS and the Eden of the East. Has similarities to Code Geass b/c of some of same staff, but GC is trying to be more like GiTS+Eden. Director is trying to make this his personal GiTS.

Dammit this show is doomed to suck. I never asked for this. Nobody wanted more GitS. I guess it'll be up to Sunrise to bring back Geass after all.

NewFresh

RurouniZel said:
I did enjoy it, and my older sister, who's been jaded from anime for years now, said it may very well "save anime" for her. She loved the art style and character designs and can't wait to see the next episode.

I couldn't get over how bad it was in terms of a mystery/detective story. Even though the characters seem interesting.

RurouniZel

EmmanuelMunoz said:
I couldn't get over how bad it was in terms of a mystery/detective story. Even though the characters seem interesting.

I'm just hoping it was a case of less than stellar in medias res.

NewFresh

RurouniZel said:
I'm just hoping it was a case of less than stellar in medias res.
That would make me even more worried; however, I'm going to watch the next episode regardless. Like I said, the characters seem interesting.

RurouniZel

Jexhius said:
Well, they get to the story eventually, and it's still an awful mess.

Well, I'll keep watching for now, if for no reason to watch anime with my sister again. ^^; Good to know it may fall apart though. Keeps my expectations in check.

jman2050

Articalys said:
There are clearly some massive shenanigans at play here, for Mikoto to have been so unstoppable before yet lose like this.

A Final
1st 446 Astarotte Ygvar @ Astarotte's Toy!
2nd 327 Mikoto Misaka @ A Certain Magical Index

schSq.png

Never underestimate the power of teh Rie.

Also I guess this means it's smooth sailing for the megucas from here.

Hellsing321 said:
Jman stuffing the ballot box.

For that particular character? Even I have standards you know!

mAcOdIn said:
Bravado goes a long way.

I don't know if that's what I'd call the main points. The main thing I had with it is that for something dealing with "cases" or a mystery it was completely illogical, there were no clues for the viewer so that they could play along and worse yet solving the case was less of an investigation or case at all and just the hero telling you what happened. It was all very matter of fact, boring and lacked any intrigue or suspense. I guess you could file that under lot but to me it just seems like it's style.
But that is mostly the fault of the editing, which destroys any sense of flow and makes all the scenes feel like things happening with no connection between them. (The worst part was
when the show cut to the dead SP with no warning and all I could think was "She died? When? How? Huh?"
) This prevents the steady increase of tension key to a good mystery. Inga's magic confessing powers pulling the rug out under the detective's confrontation of the culprit didn't help either.

There were clues, after all, and even flashbacks to point them out (e.g.,
the jacket
). There was just no opportunity for the audience to notice them when they could barely keep up with the plot. I think the basic mystery presented could, if executed properly, be decent - not amazing, but at least as competent as the average Conan episode, which Un-Go resembled in structure.

iavi

Ghost Stories Dub (1-4)

I got to watching this last night, and I have to note that the YT clip doesn't even cover the half of it. There are scenes in episodes that they didn't even touch, and the ones they did are so much better with context. Nonstop hilarious stuff, really.

scy

- Supercell's doing Egoist's music throughout, OST's coming out next year.

Next year?

:(

I liked Eden of the East but I'm not quite sure how they're going to go for it to be reminiscent of that. Honestly, they'd be better served trying to go for the Code Geass feel anyway.

darkside31337 said:
Dammit this show is doomed to suck. I never asked for this. Nobody wanted more GitS. I guess it'll be up to Sunrise to bring back Geass after all.
I've been asking for more GitS for years, but not like this. NOT LIKE THIS!

Jex

darkside31337 said:
What the hell man?

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
maybe with all this GitS revivalism Osh will finally make the third GitS movie nobody was clamoring for. The main character will be a basset hound, it will be half live-action, and the 4th wall will be constantly broken by philosophical ramblings musings to the audience.

I would watch it.
I don't really see how it would be anything different from his current output.

Oh wait, I forgot, he's making a comedy.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
jman2050 said:
Never underestimate the power of teh Rie.

Also I guess this means it's smooth sailing for the megucas from here.

For that particular character? Even I have standards you know!
Squid Girl has had a really great run. She may be the last bastion of hope against the Megucas.

Articalys said:
There are clearly some massive shenanigans at play here, for Mikoto to have been so unstoppable before yet lose like this.

A Final
1st 446 Astarotte Ygvar @ Astarotte's Toy!
2nd 327 Mikoto Misaka @ A Certain Magical Index
Kinda wanted to see Mikoto fail after she beat Homura, but this is just... yeah.

Risette

A Good Citizen
icarus-daedelus said:
maybe with all this GitS revivalism Osh will finally make the third GitS movie nobody was clamoring for. The main character will be a basset hound, it will be half live-action, and the 4th wall will be constantly broken by philosophical ramblings musings to the audience.

I would watch it.
I've been wanting a third Oshii GITS. Innocence was decent. :(

scy

Branduil said:
Glad they're focusing on what's really important.

Though, it begs the question ... who demanded this to be so? I mean, someone out there is extremely pleased with this, right?

BluWacky

EmmanuelMunoz said:
I don't like the NA poster.

Still excited to finally see the movie.

I think the poster makes perfect sense for the American market. It makes it look like a Disney film, whereas the UK marketing made it look like an arthouse film (which is how it was treated, essentially).

Yeah, it's not as pretty as the Karigurashi poster, but it's not THAT bad.

scy said:
I liked Eden of the East but I'm not quite sure how they're going to go for it to be reminiscent of that. Honestly, they'd be better served trying to go for the Code Geass feel anyway.

Eden of the East was, at least in part, a look at Generation NEET's attitudes to the world around them, and Japan's place in that world - at least in part. Geass is a fantasy "what-if" scenario; from what little of it I watched (up to the end of the Mao arc, so 16 episodes or so) it wasn't hugely concerned with bigger questions about the social impact of annexing Japan and may as well have taken place in La La Land.

Until Guilty Crown got all action packed, the school scenes and the narration reminded me a lot of Eden. Shu's musings on Japan's standing internationally and the attitudes of many to its marginalisation after the Apocalypse Virus reminded me a lot of the early scene in Eden of the East where Saki is riding the train past the Careless Monday impact site and talking about how people just don't care any more etc. I know most people will watch Guilty Crown for the sci-fi action and the plot twists (lord knows I will) but if the show also has something interesting to say about Japan's international standing it might be more memorable for me personally.

(plus there has to be SOME kind of Noitamina hook, surely? I understand why Un-Go's in the slot, but not so much Guilty Crown as yet...)

DiGiKerot

Children who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below - Pretty movie with some really striking scenery in which people yearn after people. Also kind of slow to get anywhere, and really meandering once it does. Yup, certainly a Shinkai movie.

I mean, I certainly enjoyed it, but it's a good movie rather than a particularly great one.

scy

BluWacky said:
Until Guilty Crown got all action packed, the school scenes and the narration reminded me a lot of Eden. Shu's musings on Japan's standing internationally and the attitudes of many to its marginalisation after the Apocalypse Virus reminded me a lot of the early scene in Eden of the East where Saki is riding the train past the Careless Monday impact site and talking about how people just don't care any more etc.

Hm, true. I must have glossed over that when I watched it. That or I just chalked it up more as used to portray the main character rather than world building.

It just seemed to me Guilty Crown is trying to showcase more of the liberation of Japan rather than musing about it; the circumstances of it all might be there but not so much the course of action to go with it. Eden of the East worked well with the ideology plotline due to the actions throughout it; Guilty Crown doesn't seem quite so so far. That's all I meant by it seems that they'd be "better off" drawing from Code Geass.

...though, one episode is early to say anything concrete. Honestly, I'll be fine with it either way it goes as long as it remains interesting throughout.

Anyway, I started watching The Tatami Galaxy a few days ago. Getting over the odd visuals was a lot easier once it was in motion. And getting over the speed at which words happen wasn't so bad; thank you Bakemonogatari for training me so well, I suppose. So far (5 episodes), it's an interesting ride and I'm possibly spending too much time delving into what it is trying to say about college life and attitude.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
scy said:
Though, it begs the question ... who demanded this to be so? I mean, someone out there is extremely pleased with this, right?

You know I'm convinced that entire thing is the reason Touhou is popular.

Maybe I'm completely off base but that definitely seems to be a big thing with that fanbase.

I was convinced Inori's magical cleavage was what they were focusing on but I was wrong! She's clearly multifaceted.

scy

darkside31337 said:
You know I'm convinced that entire thing is the reason Touhou is popular.

The Touhou fanbase frightens me.

I was convinced Inori's magical cleavage was what they were focusing on but I was wrong! She's clearly multifaceted.

That was basically my foc...erm.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chihayafuru 3: This is just so good - all it was missing was Secret Base at the end. I hope the show can keep up once it gets to the "real" part of the story, because a lot of what makes these childhood episodes work is ultra genki chibi Chihaya and her overwhelming enthusiasm.

Jex

Aigis said:
I've been wanting a third Oshii GITS. Innocence was decent. :(
I imagine you must have wrote about the first movie after watching it on Blu-Ray but I can't seem to find your post on the subject. I presume you did write one?

Risette

A Good Citizen
icarus-daedelus said:
Did you get around to watching Beautiful Dreamer yet? I think it was you who asked me about it.
Yeah that was me.

Not yet! :( I've been into
classy foreign
liveaction cinema lately (should be obv considering my sudden caring for Criterion releases)

Fucking Lafiel influenced me down that path. I've already spent almost $100 (of money that isn't mine) in a single week on Criterion Blus and it's all his fault. :(

Jexhius said:
I imagine you must have wrote about the first movie after watching it on Blu-Ray but I can't seem to find your post on the subject. I presume you did write one?
Nope.

It's a pretty good movie that I like more each time I rewatch it. There!

DiGiKerot

icarus-daedelus said:
Indeed, and one can never turn down the rarity of traditional animation in a theatrical film these days...

*blinks* Innocence? Traditional animation? It's been a while since I last saw it (because it bored the heck out of me), but didn't Innocence use a fair amount of CGI, or is all I'm remembering the gaudy parade?

I mean, if it's traditional animation, Production IGs...errr, I guess it's technically "next"... movie, A Letter To Momo is way more traditional. As is the new Shinkai. Or most of Madhouses recent movies.

BluWacky

hosannainexcelsis said:
What's the noitamina hook for Black Rock Shooter? They don't care anymore.

To be fair to Black Rock Shooter, we know basically nothing about what the plot of the TV series will be. We have no idea if it will deal (hamfistedly, probably) with some interesting concepts or not.

Sci-fi is hardly an alien concept to the Noitamina block - people tend to (like to?) forget how early Jyu-Oh-Sei was in the timeslot's life. Plus, Black Rock Shooter herself is a character, pure and simple - hasn't every piece of media featuring her had a different storyline? We really don't know what to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom