• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working'!! 5

This show has excellent timing, particularly in its use of silence. It's an essential ingredient to any comedy, especially if you're centering on awkward moments between characters, as this and The Office do, so it's good that Working has it nailed.

Takanashi is going to end up in jail sooner or later.

Regulus Tera said:
SteinsSemicolonDoor 01:

kbPwal.jpg

I expect to understand nothing at the end of this.

And you are so, so wrong.

Regulus Tera said:
Oh yea, I forgot to say. Mayuri is fucking adorable. <3

Tutturu~

jman2050

Ben-To 4

I don't know how this show pulls off half the stuff it does. But it does and it works so well somehow.

The fight between Rei clone and cousin was great stuff

iavi

hosannainexcelsis said:
Working'!! 5

This show has excellent timing, particularly in its use of silence. It's an essential ingredient to any comedy, especially if you're centering on awkward moments between characters, as this and The Office do, so it's good that Working has it nailed.

Takanashi is going to end up in jail sooner or later.

As much as it's timing has been on point, I think what impressed me most this ep was the scene with Inami looking in on Yamada's attempts at wooing Katanashi. That was such an incredibly effective scene--comedy wise. You had to just know what was going to happen, but seeing it gradually unfold from this onlookers nearly silent perspective really hit home.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ben-To 04: This show continues to deliver. We have a new OP just for the new character who is three parts Blond, five parts Cousin and six parts Awesome. She shows up and demonstrates her amazing powers of bra removal on Oshiroi only to dragged away by Shiraume into a seriously hot yuri powered scene involving no clothes and lots of bath, ending in a frilly dress. I said GODDAMN!! Topped off by an awesome fight sequence at the end of the episode and some sort of secret organization out for... something or other involving half-priced Bento and I have to watch this episode again right now!!

Oh, and best cousin ever! Seriously.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ben-to has:
More fights than Fate/Zero
More lesbians than MPD
More blonde sleepy-head sluts than IM@S
More thigh meat than a KFC

Ben-to show of the year if they can keep this up.

jman2050

Halycon said:
Ben-to has:
More lesbians than MPD

Madoka - Multiple witches
Ben-to - One witch

Sorry bro!

Articalys

Ben-To 4

I am so glad I picked this show up based on the recent hype after dismissing it initially, because it is one of the greatest fucking things I have seen this season.

Seriously, I don't care how much hot yuri action Shiraume provides, bitch needs to go away. The abuse gag is only funny the first couple of times.
Thankfully the rest of the episode was fantastic.

Haly

Quality not quantity!

Ben-to is the perfect example of how a trashy throwaway premises can result in a good anime with the help of competent writing, direction and animation.

Salazar

Halycon said:
Ben-to has:
More lesbians than MPD

Popular enough for a dvd release, no ? I tend to watch these things months/years after you lot.

Finished High School of the Dead. The second half more or less sucked. The first half, arguably, did not suck.

Ben-To 4

This shouldn't be as fun as it is, but somehow the execution sells the continual random hilarity. So much craziness went down, but my favorite part was
the evil secret organization out of nowhere looking to harness the power of the bento fighters for... something. I don't know. Well, that and the lesbian rape.

Haly

Salazar said:
Popular enough for a dvd release, no ? I tend to watch these things months/years after you lot.
Easily!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Halycon said:
Quality not quantity!

Ben-to is the perfect example of how a trashy throwaway premises can result in a good anime with the help of competent writing, direction and animation.

Yep. So far this is by far my pick of the season, and I was expecting everything above, but without the aforementioned competent writing, direction and animation. I've been pleasantly surprised.

wonzo

Banned
Ben-to 4

goddamn this show is incredible. dat blond megane

Working'!! 5

takanashi's creepy as hell. the comedic timing is much better than last season

HxH (R) 5

the lack of blood's really jarring given whats depicted :/

scy

RurouniZel said:
Ben-To 04: This show continues to deliver. We have a new OP just for the new character who is three parts Blond, five parts Cousin and six parts Awesome. She shows up and demonstrates her amazing powers of bra removal on Oshiroi only to dragged away by Shiraume into a seriously hot yuri powered scene involving no clothes and lots of bath, ending in a frilly dress. I said GODDAMN!! Topped off by an awesome fight sequence at the end of the episode and some sort of secret organization out for... something or other involving half-priced Bento and I have to watch this episode again right now!!

Oh, and best cousin ever! Seriously.

So I was going to put off watching the episode until tomorrow. I may have to change this now.

Dresden said:
Ben-to 4

I was so wrong about this show.

This is amazing.

Shagga daughter of Dolf confirmed as the best girl of the season.

So glad I'm not the only person who went "SON DAUGHTER OF DOLF?!" at the name, lol.

Jex

duckroll said:
Yeah exactly! I love my talking heads. Kiritsugu is so sexy. :swoon
But what if the talking heads are walking in circles? There's good talking heads, bad talking heads and anime talking heads. We need some standards.

duckroll

Jexhius said:
But what if the talking heads are walking in circles? There's good talking heads, bad talking heads and anime talking heads. We need some standards.

In a 47 minute episode, it is not unusual that there will be a scene which simply falls flat. We have to be forgiving, especially when everything else is just so good!

Jex

Regulus Tera said:
SteinsSemicolonDoor 01:

I expect to understand nothing at the end of this.
Eh, actually, it's not that complicated at all. The first episode is just awful largely because it contains some of the worst editing I've ever seen in an anime.

I don't know what they were thinking.
duckroll said:
In a 47 minute episode, it is not unusual that there will be a scene which simply falls flat. We have to be forgiving, especially when everything else is just so good!
Someone is feeling generous, but yes, I broadly agree. Although that episode should really have been two episodes to soften the blow.

scy

Jexhius said:

That's why we just need exposition over the credits.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ben-to 4:

The trolly cousin stuff ended up being a random nonsequitor that brought the series back to anime land, but at least the fight was good.

Also, so many Sega name drops.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Ben-to 4:

The trolly cousin stuff ended up being a random nonsequitor that brought the series back to anime land, but at least the fight was good.

Also, so many Sega name drops.
I really don't think it ever left "anime land". It's a show were people battle each other in supermarkets for the best deals on food, that's extremely "anime", especially when it's filled with anime character-types.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
I really don't think it ever left "anime land". It's a show were people battle each other in supermarkets for the best deals on food, that's extremely "anime", especially when it's filled with anime character-types.
Lesbian molestation and cousin-trolling is fairly anime land though. It's the equivalent of falling into a girl's crotch the first time you meet them.

zeroshiki said:
I haven't seen this posted.

These are the K-On movie trailers
Miraculously there are dudes in London.
Ahh, the third one is an extended version of the original trailer. Are you going to collect all of the keychains?!

scy

firehawk12 said:
Lesbian molestation and cousin-trolling is fairly anime land though. It's the equivalent of falling into a girl's crotch the first time you meet them.

With or without stripping them in the process magic powers?

Anyway, Ben-To 4 ... goddamnit, I want a Shaga route so I guess I'm in the wincest camp for this anime now. Yarizui is kind of bland in comparison, really.

So we get lesbian molesting (Shiraume fascinates and frightens me), fight-o, and confession trolling. So all in all, a good night.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
scy said:
With or without stripping them in the process magic powers?
Ichika no echiiiiii.

Anyway, Ben-To 4 ... goddamnit, I want a Shaga route so I guess I'm in the wincest camp for this anime now. Yarizui is kind of bland in comparison, really.

So we get lesbian molesting (Shiraume fascinates and frightens me), fight-o, and confession trolling. So all in all, a good night.
To paraphrase Adachi in Cross Game, "In Japan, it's legal to marry your cousin!"

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, but it was already very 'anime'. Now it's just picking up some of the remaining cliches that it had yet to cover!

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
Ahh, the third one is an extended version of the original trailer. Are you going to collect all of the keychains?!

I actually think its a good idea to pre-order the tickets since its discounted. They're preoder bonuses so I might be getting one or two of them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
scy said:
I really feel like I should watch IS just so I can fully appreciate this.
You really should
n't
... You really should
n't

Cousin Wincest: Japan approved.
Insert gif of plane taking off here!

zeroshiki said:
I actually think its a good idea to pre-order the tickets since its discounted. They're preoder bonuses so I might be getting one or two of them.
You might as well get all five so you can spell out K-on club. Then get five more so you can mail them to me. ;)

Jexhius said:
Yeah, but it was already very 'anime'. Now it's just picking up some of the remaining cliches that it had yet to cover!
The premise was just out there there. There was nothing inherently creepy animu about it for the most part. I kind of hoped it would avoid either harem hijinks and such, but I suppose that's just too much to ask.

Jex

[Ben To - 4]

You know, before this season really got under way it was all Guilty Crown this or Horzion that, but strangely enough this show has come a long to be 'entertainingly anime' title of the season.

Amazingly, there was even more fanservice than usual. It was like an episode of HSOTD or something.
firehawk12 said:
Ben-to 4:

I don't know if it was really irrelevant, considering they
touched on it at the end of the episode in a way that suggested that she had feelings for him.
Classy.

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
You might as well get all five so you can spell out K-on club. Then get five more so you can mail them to me. ;)

The tickets cost 1300 each. What would I do with 9 extra tickets? :lol

If I can somehow con some people in buying them from me, I could get just get "keion". Don't need to word "club" really.

scy

Jexhius said:
[Ben To - 4]

You know, before this season really got under way it was all Guilty Crown this or Horzion that, but strangely enough this show has come a long to be 'entertainingly anime' title of the season.

Hey, there's some of us still on the Horizon train...maybe. Though the Guilty Crown fascination quickly died down as Ben-To took over as supreme overlord of this season.

touched on it at the end of the episode in a way that suggested that she had feelings for him.
Classy.

I enjoyed the
joking at the start of the episode on the whole cliche of it and then ending the episode with playing it rather straight
. Though it just reinforced my profound sadness that Yarizui/Ice Witch even exists.

firehawk12 said:
Insert gif of plane taking off here!

And looks like I can get K-On stuff out of it too! Win-win!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
The tickets cost 1300 each. What would I do with 9 extra tickets? :lol

If I can somehow con some people in buying them from me, I could get just get "keion". Don't need to word "club" really.
Poor Asuza. :(
Actually, I have no idea which character has which one.

And hey, all that means is that you just need to watch the movie 10 times!

Jexhius said:
Classy.
Well, more the "feel my breasts" stuff than the actual trolling I suppose.

Articalys

Good night AnimeGAF...

NItRd.png

See you in five hours...

If this is too creepy to have as an inline image let me know and I'll get rid of it right away.

Instro

Articalys said:
Good night AnimeGAF...

NItRd.png

See you in five hours...

If this is too creepy to have as an inline image let me know and I'll get rid of it right away.
Damnit I was about to go to bed to!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Freudcatch Precure 13

Wat.

Ok, many times in shows you'll see a confrontation end because the main bad guy wants to play it safe and have his minions strike when conditions are more advantageous, but here the main bad guy has Dark Precure pull back because, uh, he hates winning? He's such a control freak he'll turn down total victory if it's not done his way? He's in cahoots with the writers and doesn't want this show to have a tragic ending after only 13 episodes?

I mean, really now.

Defuser

Halycon said:
Ben-to has:
More lesbians than MPD

To think people dismiss it. I know about it a few years ago when someone blog about the novel. Was hoping the there is a anime and there it is!!!

Bleach 228

Even as a filler episode just showcasing big tits at the beach, I still found this episode to be shitty/stupid.
So glad I gave up on this show a long time ago.

Durarara!! 18

Boy, if Anri is really surprised that Masaomi is leader of the Yellow Scarves, I can only imagine her reaction to Mikado being leader of the Dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom