• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
cajunator said:
so wait Ben-to is literally about fighting over lunch specials at a supermarket or something?
Yeah. I was skeptical at first but it's pretty rad.

Thoraxes

cajunator said:
so wait Ben-to is literally about fighting over lunch specials at a supermarket or something?
Don't go in with any predispositions.
It's a really awesome show for absolutely no reason at all.
There's Boars, Gundogs, Wolves, and Wizard and Witch.

cajunator said:
Its actually an allegory for the struggle of the working class and how the upper class manipulates them into fighting among themselves and voting against their best interest. Extremely poignant in these troubles economic times.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Dresden said:
We all know Team Ice Witch is winning. Not gonna bother committing myself to a pointless campaign.
Lies, Lesbian girl is the winner. That is a fact. Always getting the sushi meal :O

scy

Dresden said:
We all know Team Ice Witch is winning. Not gonna bother committing myself to a pointless campaign.

True route be damned, in all the way for Team Wincest
and utter dismay and disappointment

cajunator

Banned
OK, I just watched the OP, and I'm already in love with the show.

One of the girls looks like Kanade from Angel Beats, if she cut her hair short.

Aoi Bungaku 1-4 ("No Longer Human")

I didn't like the story itself - its nihilism and cynical despair at the condition of humanity feels self-indulgent, self-justifying, although I can understand the mindset it comes from. (I'm not surprised the author committed suicide soon after writing this.) But it was a pleasure to watch due to the excellent and very effective direction. From the coloring and lighting on the realistic scenes that highlight the characters' inner psychological states (for some reason it reminds me of Boogiepop Phantom), to the excellent transitions and imagery in the fantasy sequences, and most of all the striking and memorable design of the monster that constantly shadows the central character: this adaptation shows the storytelling strengths that animation has, even when it deals with material that would normally be treated in live-action. I wish more shows like this existed.

Does anyone know the significance of calling this literature "blue"?

Also, and I'm sure this is my fault, but how have I not heard of Morio Asaka before? From his work on Chihayafuru and here, he is one skilled director. I'm going to have to check out some of his earlier works.

zeroshiki

The first volume of Bungaku Shoujo deals with this particular work too (Ningen Shikkaku). I'd recommend that too since it has analysis and everything regarding that work.

Renmei

Banned
Ben-to is pretty entertaining but I think you guys are way overselling it too much. Anyhow I'm firmly in the Boku wa Tomo-somethingtoodamnlong, Chihayafuru and Fate Zero camp. Dat Berserker fight was badass~ Rider deserves a bro-fist and I love how Gilgamish, the overpowered punk from FSN is now a lil biatch who gets all of his attacks countered.

Defuser

Thoraxes said:
Don't go in with any predispositions.
It's a really awesome show for absolutely no reason at all.
There's Boars, Gundogs, Wolves, and Wizard and Witch.
And Beauty of the Lake.

shintoki said:
Lies, Lesbian girl is the winner. That is a fact. Always getting the sushi meal :O
Why isn't Saitou isn't defending himself against her? He can fight very well as proven and he is no qualms hitting a girl.

Thoraxes

Defuser said:
And Beauty of the Lake.
Why isn't Saitou isn't defending himself against her? He can fight very well as proven and he is no qualms hitting a girl.
I was just working my way through Ep. 4 when I posted that :)
She is just great. Man. Also brown-haired faceless boobs-girl.

I think it's because he doesn't really have any reason to hit her. Plus he fights when it's necessary at the stores.

Mature

Renmei said:
Ben-to is pretty entertaining but I think you guys are way overselling it too much.
Yeah, I can kind of agree with this. It's not like it's the best show in the world, but there's something about it that makes it really fun to watch. It's just different enough, just well animated enough -- I look forward to each episode more and more. It's not so much that it's the show that will save anime, it's just a breathe of fresh air that you don't get very often, and for that it comes highly recommended.

Jex

zeroshiki said:
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
That's a really small pick to nit to be honest. I kinda took that as Hosoda going "oh look look, fancy graphics" since the movie didn't have any futuristic elements for most of it.
I don't really see something that negatively affects the pace and flow of the whole movie as a minor nitpick, instead it's quite serious!

Erigu

hosannainexcelsis said:
Does anyone know the significance of calling this literature "blue"?
Just my take on it and I might be mistaken, but the "aoi" / "blue" color is associated with youth and I interpreted that as them arguing that classics like those would never be "old".

wsippel

Banned
Defuser said:
She's not his enemy. They're in school, there are no bentos involved - no reason to fight back and potentially make things worse over nothing. It's the way of the warrior and stuff.

Neo C.

Ice Witch team? BotL team? Can't we have both? I like boots and stockings as much as megane big boobs blonde half-italian hot cousin moe.

Defuser

I can say after a few weeks,this Fall season is satisfying:
We got:
Ben-to
Squid Girl S2
Fate/Extra
Chihayafuru
Working'!!
Phi Brain

While we got continuing from previous season which would be Gin fucking awesome tama and Penguin Drum.

wsippel said:
She's not his enemy. They're in school, there are no bentos involved - no reason to fight back and potentially make things worse over nothing. It's the way of the warrior and stuff.
He could at least dodge or block her.

Jex

Defuser said:
You forget that he's an anime cliche.

mAcOdIn

Man, I can't believe that the blond girl got her own OP.

That said I also think this has been the weakest episode of the 4.

I don't care about the incest, cousins marry all the time and we don't even know close of cousins they really are, if they're first cousins, ok, maybe a little creepy, but like 4th or some shit, who cares?

No, they went overboard with the abusive lesbian girl, I mean, seriously, did she drag her all the way home or was that facility in the school?

The main fight was ok and there are some progressions here, we learn about the club never going for the same meals, in fact I think this is the first time we've seen the Ice Witch and Saito hunt together, we see there's some ridiculous third party secret organization, who knows what ridiculous shit they're up to, Saito has a good fight but the focus was just off. Too much on the cousin and lesbo girl not enough on fighting and food.

But what I think is really missing is the club. Where is the damn club? So far it's been nothing but the weirdo imaginative girl just following Saito around as he fights alone. Isn't she supposed to be training them or some shit? We see Saito progress but yet we don't see it, just the next episode he does better, couldn't this be a tad more Shounen style and have a little training or something?

Still a good show and everything has its lows, here's hoping this is just a one time thing for this show.

Still better than MPD any day of the week.

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
Aoi Bungaku 1-4 ("No Longer Human")

I didn't like the story itself - its nihilism and cynical despair at the condition of humanity feels self-indulgent, self-justifying, although I can understand the mindset it comes from. (I'm not surprised the author committed suicide soon after writing this.) But it was a pleasure to watch due to the excellent and very effective direction. From the coloring and lighting on the realistic scenes that highlight the characters' inner psychological states (for some reason it reminds me of Boogiepop Phantom), to the excellent transitions and imagery in the fantasy sequences, and most of all the striking and memorable design of the monster that constantly shadows the central character: this adaptation shows the storytelling strengths that animation has, even when it deals with material that would normally be treated in live-action. I wish more shows like this existed..
Well, of course, you aren't supposed to like the story, so that's a pretty healthy response! No Longer Human is one of the better parts of that story collection, but not quite the best. As you have a variety of different stories by different teams Aoi Bungaku as a whole is uneven, but very interesting nevertheless.

Thoraxes

Defuser said:
We got:
Ben-to
Squid Girl S2
Fate/Extra
Chihayafuru
Working'!!
Phi Brain
I think for the most part I agree with this, though i'll have to see how I feel when this season finishes. The harder part for me, I think, is who comes in second place: Winter or Spring? The leftover of Star Driver falling into Q1 makes me give the edge to Winter, as well as Korean Zombie Desk Car, Madoka, and Index II falling in line too.

Jex

Renmei said:
Ben-to is pretty entertaining but I think you guys are way overselling it too much.
It just shows that we're in a pretty weak season at the moment. Also, I feel that it's being sold correctly. Shallow, stupid and forgettable entertainment. None of those things are necessarily bad.

Jexhius said:
Well, of course, you aren't supposed to like the story, so that's a pretty healthy response!

No Longer Human is a dangerous narrative for someone who isn't psychologically healthy, I think. If I was seriously depressed, I could see myself going out and attempting suicide after watching this.

No Longer Human is one of the better parts of that story collection, but not quite the best. As you have a variety of different stories by different teams Aoi Bungaku as a whole is uneven, but very interesting nevertheless.

That always happens with compilations. Memories, for instance. The first segment is a masterpiece, while the latter two are still good in their own ways but nowhere near the same level. Still, I have a special fondness for them. Compilations have been particularly fertile ground for imaginative and unique animation.

Jex

Erigu said:
Just my take on it and I might be mistaken, but the "aoi" / "blue" color is associated with youth and I interpreted that as them arguing that classics like those would never be "old".
The narrator of the whole show actually says that right at the start, so you're correct.

Mature

hosannainexcelsis said:
That always happens with compilations. Memories, for instance. The first segment is a masterpiece, while the latter two are still good in their own ways but nowhere near the same level.
Magnetic Rose. Damn, I need to watch that again. Might be one of my favorite animated things.

hosannainexcelsis said:
That always happens with compilations. Memories, for instance. The first segment is a masterpiece, while the latter two are still good in their own ways but nowhere near the same level. Still, I have a special fondness for them. Compilations have been particularly fertile ground for imaginative and unique animation.
You're right, the first part of Memories was great, but the other two... yeah, not nearly as much. The second one in particular was completely stupid and I didn't like it much at all. The third one was interesting. but kind of short and didn't really go anywhere. As a short story it worked though.

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
Certainly, the interesting thing about compilations is their diversity and range, as opposed to any kind of conformity or consistency.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Defuser said:
We got:
Ben-to
Squid Girl S2
Fate/Extra
Chihayafuru
Working'!!
Phi Brain

While we got continuing from previous season which would be Gin fucking awesome tama and Penguin Drum.

He could at least dodge or block her.
No Mirai Nikki?
UVPaT.jpg

Still don't understand the positive reception to Working'!! around here. I didn't even understand episode five. They find a small child and don't immediately call the cops? I'm willing to accept weird logic and things sometimes, but the absence of rational thought, even in a "comedy" just bugs me. Particularly when it's a contrivance to set up a very specific scenario.

zeroshiki

Oh yeah firehawk, I didn't answer from a couple pages back but the Hana Yori Dango heroine is pretty much the template of genki shoujo heroine who doesn't take shit from anyone but still needs saving all the time from super handsome rich prince. 2 of them!

The Taiwanese LA version also has some of the most pathetic production values I've seen from a drama ever.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
Oh yeah firehawk, I didn't answer from a couple pages back but the Hana Yori Dango heroine is pretty much the template of genki shoujo heroine who doesn't take shit from anyone but still needs saving all the time from super handsome rich prince. 2 of them!

The Taiwanese LA version also has some of the most pathetic production values I've seen from a drama ever.
1) Boourns. I suppose I really should do LoveCom before starting another shoujo though.
2) I'm assuming that's the standard for Asian TV!

Dance In My Blood said:
Still don't understand the positive reception to Working'!! around here. I didn't even understand episode five. They find a small child and don't immediately call the cops? I'm willing to accept weird logic and things sometimes, but the absence of rational thought, even in a "comedy" just bugs me. Particularly when it's a contrivance to set up a very specific scenario.

If Working!! obeyed the laws of rational thought, Kyoko's managerial incompetence would have ruined Wagnaria a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom