• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
GaimeGuy said:
mawaru sanetoshi drum ep 16:

Kanba is fucked, isn't he? :/

I predict
that he is going to take the same path his parents did, and do something unbelievably evil for Himari's sake. Actually I predict he will redo the train attacks, except this time Momoka won't be able to stop them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:
She stands up for herself and gets marked by the F4 (the 4 rich bishies), so she starts getting bullied by the whole school (because the F4's daddies have that much influence) from day one but doesn't take it lying down.

Doesn't take her long to go squeeee at one of the pretty boys who helps her occasionally as you'd imagine.
Haha, of course. There's gotta be a bishie to squeeeee at.

cajunator

Banned
EmmanuelMunoz said:
You're a moe~ cockroach
102519164cc55908abb5c.jpg

So, I watched the fourth episodes of Majikoi and Ben-to. I see a lot of praise for ep. 4 of Ben-to here, which is understandable given that the show is popular now and the first three episodes were pretty good, but not many people are watching Majikoi.

Now, both of these shows are action harem shows, so they are comparable -- they're in the same genre, pretty much. For the first three episodes, Ben-to was the better of the two for sure.

However, this time, I had more fun watching ep. 4 of Majikoi than ep. 4 of Ben-to. Sorry, but Ben-to just goes too far in the harem direction this time, and it's not anywhere near as good a harem show as it is an action show. The harem focus of the episode really brings it down. As for Majikoi, its action never really was its strength, and its harem element is only average too, but when it has a decent episode it can be entertaining and funny.

Majikoi Oh! Samurai Girls 4 - Much like with episode 3, this episode is split into two parts, each focusing on one girl. The first half is a bath scene of course with the German girl Chris and the MC. The second half is with the MC and Wanko (smallish, athletic girl), as she exercises by pulling him around with him sitting on tire tied to a rope around her waist. Apart from one thing in the second half, this was a solidly entertaining episode. I'll get to that thing later.

First though, the first half. In this, first, the MC foils the blue haired girl's latest attempt to hit on him. Then, the German girl Chris walks into the bath room and takes off her clothes, not knowing that the MC just finished taking a bath. As he comes out (with towel on) she knocks him to the floor and puts her foot on his head to keep him from looking, and thus begins an almost ten minute long nude scene. Yeah, pretty long for a single scene, even for anime.

The point of the scene is that the MC is trying to convince her to allow him to see her naked, while she is refusing. His argument is actually interesting and reasoned, but he betrays the values he's espousing with his constant attempts to look at her with his eyes. This is, I thought, what made this part so funny. His argument is true, but he clearly doesn't believe those things himself, really...
Specifically, his argument is that in pre-Westernized Japan -- that is, before the Meiji era -- Japanese people all bathed together, and men and women being naked together, and in public, was completely normal. This is true. I'm not so sure about his line that women would walk around in public naked though; unless he means at a bath (and there were baths outsides in the towns, along the street and stuff), or that peasant women sometimes would strip to the waist to work, that isn't likely. The rest of what he says is true, though, and it was interesting how he said that he's not sure if he believes in modern Japanese ideals, given that his father has abandoned them and moved overseas. However... those eyes of his give away that he doesn't exactly believe in those ideals he's praising so much himself, he's modern Japanese. That contrast was pretty funny. At the end of the scene, Chris asks him a question -- "do you just want to see a girl naked, or do you want to see me naked?". It's a good question, but of course they are interrupted before he has to answer, so no progress is made.

The second half wasn't as good as the first, but did have some amusing parts to it for sure. Him getting pulled around in a tire was entertaining, and seeing
Momoyo (the girl the MC likes the most, and the oldest one) first crush a would-be contender and then pick up a random girl from the crowd, saying "you won't get much sleep tonight" or something like that... yeah. Then Wanko says that she picks up girls because none of the guys around are good enough for her (remember, she's rejected the MC several times), so... yeah. Either it's a "misunderstanding" bit, or she's bi I guess.
The one part of this section that I really didn't like came later, when Wanko basically said to herself that she wouldn't mind being in a harem with the MC and Momoyo. I don't usually like it when the girls in harem shows actually don't mind being in a harem relationship, given the strong iniquity of such a relationship. The idea is that she likes both of them and doesn't want to be separated from them, but still.

Ben-to 4 - As I said, I found this episode somewhat disappointing, and it was probably my least favorite episode of the show so far. Most of this episode is focused on harem-relationship stuff, mostly between the MC and his cousin the blonde girl, but also a little bit with the "Ice Witch" as well. Also, the other characters discover what the girl who follows him around writes on her laptop -- BL stories about the MC and some other guys from the fights. :lol That was probably one of the funnier things in this episode, really. Oh, and yes, the fight scene was good as always. It's great how intense they get in fighting over half price food. Oh and yes, the secret organization is somewhat amusing too. We'll see how it goes, but that plotline could be solid, if likely unoriginal.

But the rest of it... yeah. Part of the problem is that the girl is his cousin, so the relationship element (she has a crush on him but isn't telling him that it's real because they have known eachother since they were children, etc, very generic stuff), which obviously makes me dislike the idea of them being in a relationship. I mean, some things she does are funny, and I like that she likes Sega too... but sorry, this just wasn't that good compared to the other episodes. Harem/romance stuff is not this show's strength, and that is not the best girl either.

Oh, and the part with Shiraume, the lesbian, was pretty creepy too. Assault like that's not right... at least she only beats the MC though. Poor cousin. :(

So yeah, Bento's weakest episode, versus a solid Majikoi episode? Majikoi has its first win this season, between the two, no question.

jman2050

A Black Falcon said:
So yeah, Bento's weakest episode, versus a solid Majikoi episode? Majikoi has its first win this season, between the two, no question.

You rarely fail to disappoint at not being correct.

Solune

Ben-to 4:
I really had this show in my average bin but this episode was really entertaining and lived up to the hype finally. The payoff was great.

duckroll

Interesting news for Code Geass fans. The new series has an official English title now, and a brand new logo. This was revealed in the two calender artworks featuring characters from the new series in the Code Geass 2012 calender.

The title is: Code Geass - Akito the Exiled

xZoec.jpg

A Black Falcon said:
Ben-to 4 - As I said, I found this episode somewhat disappointing, and it was probably my least favorite episode of the show so far. Most of this episode is focused on harem-relationship stuff, mostly between the MC and his cousin the blonde girl, but also a little bit with the "Ice Witch" as well. Also, the other characters discover what the girl who follows him around writes on her laptop -- BL stories about the MC and some other guys from the fights. :lol That was probably one of the funnier things in this episode, really. Oh, and yes, the fight scene was good as always. It's great how intense they get in fighting over half price food. Oh and yes, the secret organization is somewhat amusing too. We'll see how it goes, but that plotline could be solid, if likely unoriginal.

But the rest of it... yeah. Part of the problem is that the girl is his cousin, so the relationship element (she has a crush on him but isn't telling him that it's real because they have known eachother since they were children, etc, very generic stuff), which obviously makes me dislike the idea of them being in a relationship. I mean, some things she does are funny, and I like that she likes Sega too... but sorry, this just wasn't that good compared to the other episodes. Harem/romance stuff is not this show's strength, and that is not the best girl either.

Oh, and the part with Shiraume, the lesbian, was pretty creepy too. Assault like that's not right... at least she only beats the MC though. Poor cousin. :(

When ABF sees incest, he turns into this:

Bailout.gif

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Fate/Zero 5 - Pretty good episode, while I found some of the CG to be fairly distracting and the dialogue to be about as chessy as the average shounen anime, I'm impressed on how engaging and consistent this series has been in terms of entertainment value, easily the best show this season!

Guilty crown 3 - Man this episode was bad; like really bad, what really offends me about this series is the writing and characterization is probably about as bad as say oreimo, and filled with about as many bad anime cliches, on the other hand it does have the SRS business tone and the sci-fic action backdrop which are the two main things that are preventing me from dropping the series at this point, also the promise of NONSENSICAL TWISTS and MELODRAMA.

jman2050 said:
Have you watched Majikoi? Sure, I doubt that watching it would change your mind, but still.

Solune said:
Ben-to 4:
I really had this show in my average bin but this episode was really entertaining and lived up to the hype finally. The payoff was great.
There isn't anything in this episode that was better than the previous three, nothing.

hosannainexcelsis said:
When ABF sees incest, he turns into this:

Bailout.gif
That certainly didn't help, yeah, but it's more than that -- it's also about the increased focus on the harem side to the show in this episode, and that that is not the element of the show which is good. If it continues going in the direction ep. 4 hints at, the show will definitely be wasting some of its potential. Think a bit like Dog Days, where people complained that it was a much better action show than harem, but there were too many episodes not focused on the action. That was still a decent series, but could have been better. (The two shows are quite different, of course, but in that way there is a similarity.)

Master Milk said:
Oh, is that what people are calling it? Hmm, I'll probably forget again next week. But I'm watching this. This isn't better than Ben-to
Yeah, it's usually called Majikoi. I know there is a longer title that that's a short version of, but that's the one most commonly used, including in the anime.

Also, it's only the fourth episode of Ben-to that I like less than Majikoi, the first three episodes are better.

scy

A Black Falcon said:
That certainly didn't help, yeah, but it's more than that -- it's also about the increased focus on the harem side to the show in this episode, and that that is not the element of the show which is good.

Harems live and die by the cast, though; up to this episode, I'd agree since the three girls present so far (and that's some rather tenuous work to even try to count Shiraume) were pretty much uninteresting as far as haremites are concerned. I quite like Shaga so any harem/romance moments out of that is fine by me. Wincest be damned.

Though, I do agree that Ben-To's stronger suit is the moments of action so anything taking that precious time away has to be extraordinary to be worth it. But ... I came into this expecting HNNNNGH moments and now I'm satisfied; I hope to not see a full episode like the first half of this, sure, but it's not like it'll overall detract from the episode for me.

Also, I have no idea what Majikoi is so, hell, I'll give it a shot later.

A Black Falcon said:
That certainly didn't help, yeah, but it's more than that -- it's also about the increased focus on the harem side to the show in this episode, and that that is not the element of the show which is good. If it continues going in the direction ep. 4 hints at, the show will definitely be wasting some of its potential. Think a bit like Dog Days, where people complained that it was a much better action show than harem, but there were too many episodes not focused on the action. That was still a decent series, but could have been better. (The two shows are quite different, of course, but in that way there is a similarity.)

The incinerator scene in episode 3 is one of my favorite scenes in the show so far, and the
lesbian
scene in episode 4 is pretty good too, so I can't agree with you that the action has been the only good part of the show so far. It's pushing the characters to the right level of insanity that makes this show work.

Certainly Ben-To could go south if they start focusing too much on harem shit, but the episode that's been the worst in that regard so far is episode 1. It spent most of its time setting up three bland harem-ish personalities and, since the real fighting and the introduction to the Wolf Code of Honor didn't start until episode 2, the action part wasn't really present to make things exciting in any way.

Mature

Chihayafuru 2
Good episode. Still heartwarming and cute, but more importantly sad and dramatic on occasion. I don't know if I'll continue it-- there's just not enough here for me to enjoy and I'm not sure what all they could do with the plot.

Gundam AGE ep 4
tumblr_ltwizxdtpv1qdahcpo1_500.gif

Woolf is pretty funny and actually skilled. Episode couldnt stand up to what happened in episode 3 though but it was a good try. Only thing I disliked, apart from Flits useless friends,
was the reuse of the Gundam animation getting the DODS.I guess Captain Grodek is actually a good guy, though what is his motive. I find it strange that no one from UE has made any attempt to communicate and their mothership was as big as NORA.

Phi Brain ep 5

This plot line already? Nice though. Hopefully he can recover from his inability to solve puzzles in the next episode. I thought Kaito would have had some other back story but parents dying from a puzzle of god, wow.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mirai Nikki 04: Very dull episode until the end. It's setting the scene for, I'm expecting, crazy shit to happen.
Zombies have stopped being a good source of tension for a good time now.

Regulus Tera said:
Mirai Nikki 04: Very dull episode until the end. It's setting the scene for, I'm expecting, crazy shit to happen.
Zombies have stopped being a good source of tension for a good time now.

Yeah I expect episode 5 to be even crazier than episode 2.

zeroshiki

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Jexhius said:
[Warning, serious business discussion ahead]
The first one is the
stop time sequence. This comes at what you assume is the finale of the film and it follows from a particularly climactic build up, fake out, and then real climax. This is where Hosdoa wants to slow the film down a bit, but instead he grinds it to a halt. The stuff that needed to be explained by that scene could have been covered a lot more effectively if there had been less of it. There's about 17 lingering shots on frozen objects, followed by really slow narration. Yes, I know that's the point, but by the time I've seen my 3rd frozen object I get the point: time's stopped. The monologue doesn't even begin until we've seen about 15 frozen objects. It just drags the film down far too much. If it had ended there it would be fine, but as we need some more scenes (and character growth) the movie has to continue - but by then it's lost it's pacing and excellent momentum which carried so much of the work.
It's really quite unfortunate, as it makes the film feel much longer than it actually is.

That's a really small pick to nit to be honest. I kinda took that as Hosoda going "oh look look, fancy graphics" since the movie didn't have any futuristic elements for most of it.

The second problematic scene is the
running sequence. I know why it's there: we're seeing Matoko actually care about something. However, it's just handled badly. In this particular instance Matoko doesn't even need to run to meet up with Chiaki. She's not in a rush when she's leaving school and talking to people, then suddenly she just takes off running.

From an editing perspective,we don't even see her start to run, it just cuts to her running, side-on. We don't see where she's running from or too because the background is completely flat. As the geography hasn't been established, and the shot is so close to her side that it's hard to get a feel of her moving though a space that's been defined. Especially as in the previous shot we don't even see her start to run. Compare and contrast to the Millenium Actress running scenes which are far better at capturing the same spirit. Heck, even compare it to the early scene where she's chasing the bicycle down the hill yelling at it to stop. We don't even see her arrive at her destination properly, it just cuts to it and she's there. Furthermore, the 'acting' for her running is slightly awkward. All in all, I feel it's a problematic scene that isn't connected very well (visually) to the scenes that proceed and follow from it.

Apart from that, it was great as always.

If you think about it, if you're excited to do something and get somewhere, which she was, you'd be running too. At least that's what I interpreted it as at least. The direction issues, I can't say.

wsippel

Banned
jman2050 said:
While Ben-To is certainly far better, MajiKoi is surpisingly enjoyable, and the latest episode is probably the best one so far. It's all over the place, but there are some really funny characters and moments here and there.

Mature

Dresden said:
We all know Team Ice Witch is winning. Not gonna bother committing myself to a pointless campaign.
Maybe she'll die sacrificing herself or something. You never know!

*fingers crossed*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom